Recipe Drops are screwed passed 99

LadyDee

Before reaching level 99 my recipe drops were working normal. Could do a Ship Raid and easily walk away with a dozen recipes and 95% of the time a purple would be among one of those.

I did a Ship Raid yesterday and got ZERO recipe drops.

Afterwards, I did Miss Liberty TF, a TinPex and several level 50 story missions with boosted difficulty. This was around 4-5 hours of playtime.  Excluding any recipe rewards from completion of said mission. With the Ship Raid, I got a grand total of three recipe drops. When including mission rewards, that would bring the total to five.

I noticed I would get salvage drops, inspirations, xp, influ/infamy, all the normal stuff you expect from drops would drop. But when it came to recipes it was scarce.

So, I loaded on a low-level ALT and ran around. ONE mission (with commons turned off same as my main) I got 3 recipe drops.  

OK.

I logged in another ALT that was a bit higher around 30 something. Same result. One mission, with a couple of recipe drops.

After doing this, I asked in a channel (where all us old school friends hang-out) and asked, “Has anyone noticed the drop-off in getting recipes past level 99?”

Immediately, five people chimed in and said, “Yes.” And one person went so far as to say it has been going on for a while.

A while? I was not aware of this problem because one, I was away for some months due to real life and two just recently turned-on getting XP and hitting 99. I held off reaching said level due to miscommunication with rewards. Go figure, heh!

Unlike other players and my former play style from live, I am just not into ALTs. Yeah, sure, I will play one, within an hour or two, get bored and log my main in. The point being: my main character is my source of fun and not getting proper recipe drops all because I reached level 99 (if that is the problem source) is not a cheery thought.

I really hope this is fixed.

FYI: this conversation started with sending a report to a GM, who test it out on their side and came to the same issue I and others were having with recipe drops.

• City Council

What GM took your report? The issue as described is impossible. Veteran Levels are a single integer field (meaning it goes up to 4 billion) and there's absolutely nothing special about it going over 99. The rewards code is not aware of veteran levels at all. If this is really happening, there's another cause.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Faultline said:

What GM took your report? The issue as described is impossible. Veteran Levels are a single integer field (meaning it goes up to 4 billion) and there's absolutely nothing special about it going over 99. The rewards code is not aware of veteran levels at all. If this is really happening, there's another cause.

Careful, some people are going to take that as a challenge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• City Council
3 minutes ago, Kyksie said:

Careful, some people are going to take that as a challenge.

A challenge to what? The issue as described is impossible. Veteran levels are purely cosmetic and don't interact with the rewards code at all; it's like saying the color of your character's hair affected the recipe drop rates. If a GM is validating that report, I need to know what they saw to track what the real issue is.

• Haha 1

I think that was a joke about reaching vet level 4 billion. I’m sure @Veracor will be there next week. 

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, Katharos said:
29 minutes ago, Captain Powerhouse said:
On 3/16/2021 at 4:10 PM, Katharos said:

why isn't sentinel bioarmour's athletic regulation getting a look?

Oversight, it will be addressed in the next build.

Oh no. Oh god. What have I done? 

3 hours ago, Faultline said:

I never said it was thee reason. I said it could be.

Furthermore, you are keener to point out that my friends, I, and a GM are liars. You seem far more concerned about finding out which GM came to the same conclusion as I and others have than investigating this issue. What? You want to rat him out to you? Considering, you want this information, no I will not rat him/her out to you—ever.

Your tag says, “developer” one would assume you would be more tactful and happier to investigate this issue. Not go on a tangent holding a torch and pitchfork. IMO, I certainly do not want to see another Jack Emmert and I do not want to get into a similar heated mess. (rubs forehead) Please, just no.

Let us try this again, put away your witch hunt and let us go back to being two respectful adults who are trying to help make this game better and fix problems.

I, and other people are experiencing a recipe drop shortage past level 99. I am not saying this is the cause of the problem, but something in that area could be causing it OR it could be something else entirely.  There is something strange going on because the length of time and what I was doing to get so few drops should enough cause to investigate the problem. And pile on the fact that it is not one person, its six other people.

If six people are not enough to convince the team to investigate this issue, I will gladly speak to every player on every server and put together a consensus. I will do a video highlighting my drops over four hours (or more). I will stand “naked” in Atlas Park, asking people for information regarding the recipe shortage and will donate $1.00 to any charity for viable information.

So, the team going to investigate this issue? Or do I need to break out my word pad, camera, and charity information panels? I'm all packed and ready to travel down whichever road. Which road is up to the team.

• Confused 9

I played a vet level 127ish farmer for a few maps yesterday and definitely got numerous drops.  Is it possible that the OP accidentally turned off one or more types of recipe drops at P2W?

Edit: After reading the above, I vote for naked surveys for charity.

Edited by Bionic_Flea
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, LadyDee said:

Furthermore, you are keener to point out that my friends, I, and a GM are liars. You seem far more concerned about finding out which GM came to the same conclusion as I and others have than investigating this issue. What? You want to rat him out to you? Considering, you want this information, no I will not rat him/her out to you—ever.

Your tag says, “developer” one would assume you would be more tactful and happier to investigate this issue. Not go on a tangent holding a torch and pitchfork. IMO, I certainly do not want to see another Jack Emmert and I do not want to get into a similar heated mess. (rubs forehead) Please, just no.

Let us try this again, put away your witch hunt and let us go back to being two respectful adults who are trying to help make this game better and fix problems.

I, and other people are experiencing a recipe drop shortage past level 99. I am not saying this is the cause of the problem, but something in that area could be causing it OR it could be something else entirely.  There is something strange going on because the length of time and what I was doing to get so few drops should enough cause to investigate the problem. And pile on the fact that it is not one person, its six other people.

If six people are not enough to convince the team to investigate this issue, I will gladly speak to every player on every server and put together a consensus. I will do a video highlighting my drops over four hours (or more). I will stand “naked” in Atlas Park, asking people for information regarding the recipe shortage and will donate $1.00 to any charity for viable information.

So, the team going to investigate this issue? Or do I need to break out my word pad, camera, and charity information panels? I'm all packed and ready to travel down whichever road. Which road is up to the team.

Woah there Tex!! Let's just take the finger off that hair-trigger for a moment, maybe slip the safety on for a hot second and take a breath.

Before you start laying down the law and making accusations, take a moment and ask yourself if asking to be treated like an adult, right after behaving like a five year old throwing a temper tantrum is going to help your case? Give the nice developer the information asked for, don't assume there's some sort of conspiracy and that you're being called a liar. All your attitude is going to achieve is aggravating the person in the best position to actually help you.

If you want to help the process by providing additional data sources, then brilliant. The devs are not the enemy (literally the opposite in fact) and taking up an adverserial approach will not speed up the process of identifying and resolving the issue.

We can all have bad days, especially in these trying times. Sometimes we can come across as a bit 'snippy' or terse when that wasn't the intention. Tiredness, stress or other frustrations can bubble over and we can vent in a way that we otherwise might not have done. So let's just cool the temperature a few points, chill out and keep things objective rather than subjective. Focus on dealing with the issue at hand, identify what the problem is, what's causing it and finding a way to fix it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, overmanprime said:

Woah there Tex!! Let's just take the finger off that hair-trigger for a moment, maybe slip the safety on for a hot second and take a breath.

Before you start laying down the law and making accusations, take a moment and ask yourself if asking to be treated like an adult, right after behaving like a five year old throwing a temper tantrum is going to help your case? Give the nice developer the information asked for, don't assume there's some sort of conspiracy and that you're being called a liar. All your attitude is going to achieve is aggravating the person in the best position to actually help you.

If you want to help the process by providing additional data sources, then brilliant. The devs are not the enemy (literally the opposite in fact) and taking up an adverserial approach will not speed up the process of identifying and resolving the issue.

We can all have bad days, especially in these trying times. Sometimes we can come across as a bit 'snippy' or terse when that wasn't the intention. Tiredness, stress or other frustrations can bubble over and we can vent in a way that we otherwise might not have done. So let's just cool the temperature a few points, chill out and keep things objective rather than subjective. Focus on dealing with the issue at hand, identify what the problem is, what's causing it and finding a way to fix it.

Uh…<blinks> beg your pardon?!!?

You know, I could easily point out how disrespectful your assumption reply is, but I am not going there. Why? Because you and the response are not worth it.

I am here to fix a problem that was found (and defend myself if necessary).

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Bionic_Flea said:

I played a vet level 127ish farmer for a few maps yesterday and definitely got numerous drops.  Is it possible that the OP accidentally turned off one or more types of recipe drops at P2W?

Edit: After reading the above, I vote for naked surveys for charity.

Uh no. It clearly states in the post that the only recipe option turned off is: generic drops. I am talking about yellow, reds and purple drops. And even if said options were turned on, it would have been the first thing I checked, and would not have resulted in sending a petition to a GM and then being directed here to make a post in the bug section of the forums. And let us say hypothetically, that it was turned on, it does not account for others having a similar issue.

• Confused 2

• City Council
2 hours ago, LadyDee said:

Furthermore, you are keener to point out that my friends, I, and a GM are liars.

No, I am keener to find the real cause of an issue instead of validating a rumor that could spread out of control and turn into a case of "everybody knows recipes drop less after veteran level 99".

2 hours ago, LadyDee said:

If six people are not enough to convince the team to investigate this issue, I will gladly speak to every player on every server and put together a consensus. I will do a video highlighting my drops over four hours (or more).

The issue of "drop rates seem to have an issue" is being investigated; so far, I killed 10,000 critters twice (all recipes enabled starting at vet level 6, no generics starting at vet level 108) and found no drop rate deviation in minions, lieutenants or bosses.

The four hour video would be nearly useless, the only information of value in it would be the character name and server, so I can copy the character off the server, run the above test with it, and compare its drop rates.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I just did 3 runs on an asteroid with ambushes upon destruction of objects.  Each run featured a farmer build with vet levels > 99 and a sitter, level 50 with vet levels less than 99.  Here are the results

Run 1

Over VL 99 - 2 yellow, 2 orange

Unfortunately I had pre-existing white salvage so I'm not including that for this data dump.  I also didn't think to include the sub vet level 99's results

Run 2

Over VL 99 - 3 yellow, 2 orange, 7 white

Sub VL 99 - 3 yellow, 2 orange, 1 pvp (not included with other 2 orange) 5 white

Run 3

Over VL 99 - 2 yellow, 1 orange, 15 white

Sub VL 99 - 3 yellow, 1 orange, 1 purple (whoop whoop!) 12 white

My friendly advice, data is much more meaningful than "I talked to people in a chat channel who think drop rates are lower".  I'm not saying it has to include null hypotheses or confidence intervals (though that would certainly help) but all I see is a run of bad luck being reported.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Hedgefund said:

I just did 3 runs on an asteroid with ambushes upon destruction of objects.  Each run featured a farmer build with vet levels > 99 and a sitter, level 50 with vet levels less than 99.  Here are the results

Run 1

Over VL 99 - 2 yellow, 2 orange

Unfortunately I had pre-existing white salvage so I'm not including that for this data dump.  I also didn't think to include the sub vet level 99's results

Run 2

Over VL 99 - 3 yellow, 2 orange, 7 white

Sub VL 99 - 3 yellow, 2 orange, 1 pvp (not included with other 2 orange) 5 white

Run 3

Over VL 99 - 2 yellow, 1 orange, 15 white

Sub VL 99 - 3 yellow, 1 orange, 1 purple (whoop whoop!) 12 white

My friendly advice, data is much more meaningful than "I talked to people in a chat channel who think drop rates are lower".  I'm not saying it has to include null hypotheses or confidence intervals (though that would certainly help) but all I see is a run of bad luck being reported.

I'm far more inclined to take this data as a reliable indicator of the general status of above 99 vet level drop rates, than some anecdotal comments from the OP.
That isn't to say that there isn't an issue with the OP's character, perhaps being flagged for no white drops but it not showing perhaps? Or a myriad of other contributing factors, including just a run of bad luck.

Not to mention a dev running an exhaustive test of the theory!

Edited by overmanprime

1 hour ago, Faultline said:

so I can copy the character off the server, run the above test with it, and compare its drop rates.

An @Faultline build review would be one of the most enjoyable things to read in this entire forum.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

6 hours ago, LadyDee said:

As a developer myself, its far more likely that @Faultlinelooked at the code in question (the rewards table, and Vet levels) and couldn't see any direct connection to them from a code perspective. Having looked over that code, he came back with the 'Ok, tell me what other diagnosis stuff the GM you talked to did, because everything I looked at says its impossible.'

Its not calling you a liar, its just looking at the code underneath, and going 'Uh, not possible' and wanting more information in the event he missed something. Looking at logs, or drop rates from a few sessions does nothing. He can literally create an environment where he can mass murder mobs with ease in a much faster rate then you ever could (local environment test servers are amazing) and look into it much easier.

Just because he vocalized his initial findings, that there is no discernible link between the different code elements within the game itself, doesn't mean he's calling you a liar, just that that 1s and 0s don't line up the way you say they are.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The reason for wanting to know the GM's name is very, very certainly so Faultline can chat with the GM about any additional details they may have. The devs and GMs talk to one another. There's nothing punitive going on.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, UberGuy said:

The reason for wanting to know the GM's name is very, very certainly so Faultline can chat with the GM about any additional details they may have. The devs and GMs talk to one another. There's nothing punitive going on.

And another thing here.. The GMs, and Developers are doing this on a volunteer basis. Noone is getting paid right now, so noone can be 'fired', so what punitive action could actually be taken?

9 hours ago, LadyDee said:

If six people are not enough to convince the team to investigate this issue

What issue exactly?  6 biased opinions, doesn't constitute a problem.  You need a much bigger database of the issue and recipes drop like candy.  I will log my farmer when I get home, run an empty round of briggs, and still nearly fill salvage/recipes in 5 minutes.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer