Recipe Drops are screwed passed 99

LadyDee

9 hours ago, Kyksie said:

For each and every logged in player, the game checks all badges every 8 seconds? Doesn't this eat up CPU?

All of that sort of stuff is done server side.  There are tons of scripts that make the game work.  From badge checking to mission completion, to selling and buying on the auction house, etc etc.  You never see it, but it's there and ticking away all the time doing it's thing so the client on you computer knows what's up.

2 hours ago, Ura Hero said:

All of that sort of stuff is done server side.  There are tons of scripts that make the game work.  From badge checking to mission completion, to selling and buying on the auction house, etc etc.  You never see it, but it's there and ticking away all the time doing it's thing so the client on you computer knows what's up.

Right. But even the server has only so much CPU.

On 5/7/2021 at 9:17 AM, Kyksie said:

Right. But even the server has only so much CPU.

Chances are the calls are O(1) so its not that big of a deal. If its a simple "If here, flip switch, if not, skip" call its not really doing a lot of CPU usage.

• 1 month later
On 5/5/2021 at 3:06 PM, Outrider_01 said:

What issue exactly?  6 biased opinions, doesn't constitute a problem.  You need a much bigger database of the issue and recipes drop like candy.  I will log my farmer when I get home, run an empty round of briggs, and still nearly fill salvage/recipes in 5 minutes.

It's been happening to me too. I made a complaint about it before, but got turned away. Just fix it already, please.

Hi. I'm on the other side of the equation and often get far more drops than I would expect including purples and pvp recipes. And my main is only at 700andsomethin vetlvls.

This thread absolutely sent me down a WTFBBQ spiral of insanity so... ummm... thanks? I mean, chaos is good and all but wow. There is NO drop rate reduction past vetlvl 99. I have at least 5 characters past that threshold and have seen nothing of the sort.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, RoboKnight said:

I made a complaint about it before, but got turned away

RNG is RNG. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, and sometimes you swear it doesn't exist at all. That's just how it is.

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

21 hours ago, ForeverLaxx said:

RNG is RNG. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, and sometimes you swear it doesn't exist at all. That's just how it is.

And sometimes it should be looked at if multiple people are saying that they're getting crap for drops.

• Thumbs Down 3

36 minutes ago, RoboKnight said:

And sometimes it should be looked at if multiple people are saying that they're getting crap for drops.

6 people with a biased opinion based on kills they can't actually quantify as getting credit for, with rewards falling into the parameters, is not a problem. It was explained pages ago; no need to rehash it here just because you believe there's an issue when no demonstrable issue exists.

2 minutes ago, ForeverLaxx said:

6 people with a biased opinion based on kills they can't actually quantify as getting credit for, with rewards falling into the parameters, is not a problem. It was explained pages ago; no need to rehash it here just because you believe there's an issue when no demonstrable issue exists.

I don't believe there's an issue, there IS an issue, it's been happening to me too. Why are you defending this? Where's the harm in looking at this? I want to hear it from a Dev.

36 minutes ago, RoboKnight said:

I don't believe there's an issue, there IS an issue, it's been happening to me too. Why are you defending this? Where's the harm in looking at this? I want to hear it from a Dev.

And my experience, which is just as anecdotal as yours, says there's no problem. A Dev already weighed in and found nothing out of the ordinary. If you want to stamp your feet until a different Dev says something vaguely like what you want to hear, you'll be waiting awhile.

11 hours ago, ForeverLaxx said:

And my experience, which is just as anecdotal as yours, says there's no problem. A Dev already weighed in and found nothing out of the ordinary. If you want to stamp your feet until a different Dev says something vaguely like what you want to hear, you'll be waiting awhile.

Tell that to my nearly empty recipes tab.

1 hour ago, RoboKnight said:

Are you on teams or at large raids? If so, low drop rates are typical. If you are soloing, especially at high notoriety, then I'd personally want to see some evidence, like a video, and confirmation you don't have any drops disabled. Because the claim flies in the face of other evidence.

16 hours ago, RoboKnight said:

But that’d literally be an inevitable feature of randomness... gonna need more than a tiny handful presenting highly limited anecdotes.

On 6/27/2021 at 8:52 AM, RoboKnight said:

I mean, a dev literally summoned, and then murdered 1000s of mobs and proved that the Random Number Generator, is indeed random (within the realm of however random computers can actually be..) What more do you want?

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 7:03 PM, Faultline said:

I know the next question: "but veteran levels give you rewards". Well, strictly speaking, no, they don't. Those rewards are handled by badges. Every 8 seconds, every badge in the game checks its own requirements to see if it should award itself. The Veteran badges just have a requirement that the overleveled stat be >= their given number in order to award. Badges can then trigger a reward table to grant you other stuff, which is how you get the Empyreans in veteran badges, but also respecs and costume changes in level up badges and a bunch of others. The veteran badges stopping at 99 is irrelevant, it just means that there's no badge that checks if the overleveled badgestat is higher than that.

I am absolutely not saying this has happened, or is likely, but surely it is theoretically possible that something on the rewards side looks at what badges you have got and happens to do something inappropriate if you have the level 99 vet badge?

(Again, I am absolutely not saying this happened. I expect the answer, if Faultline indulges my curiousity, is that the reward side doesn't look at what badges you have got at all, or in very limited ways).

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

Get rid of the sidekick level malus and the 5-level exemplar power grace.

Wasn't there some absolutely insane drop-rate bug on Live, long ago, that turned out to actually exist, and Arcanaville found it? I don't think there's likely to be another, but it was an amazing example.

I don't think it has anything to do with the vet level, but I think it has a lot to do with the amount of time spent on any particular character.  

There is definitely some kind of drop suppression going on, and it becomes fairly obvious on my farmers.  Play them long enough and the drops

taper down to almost nothing.    You have to shelf said character for some time before it resets.

4 minutes ago, krj12 said:

I don't think it has anything to do with the vet level, but I think it has a lot to do with the amount of time spent on any particular character.  

There is definitely some kind of drop suppression going on, and it becomes fairly obvious on my farmers.  Play them long enough and the drops

taper down to almost nothing.    You have to shelf said character for some time before it resets.

I have never noticed anything of the sort across 5 /fire brutes with a total of >2K vet levels between them.

There's no drop suppression. Not for invention stuff. There's drop suppression for a few things: Threads, Shards, Catalysts and one other thing - maybe converters? - have suppression mechanics. (All of the suppression mechanics for each of the things that have them are different.) Stuff like recipes, IO salvage, and SOs are all fixed probabilities checked on every defeat of a standard rank critter. The specific odds vary by critter rank and only by rank. However, your personal odds of receiving a given drop, once one is determined to happen, vary with team size, and, in multi-team contexts, whether another team did more damage to the thing that was defeated (which means the random choice of who gets the drop is given to someone on their team).

Edited by UberGuy

12 hours ago, krj12 said:

I know it's merely anecdotal, but I have noticed that I get better drops on characters that do a variety of things: missions, TFs, Raids, and not just farming.  However, this is probably due to the fact that there are some good recipes that drop on mission completion but I don't notice them until much later.  So I can't tell the difference from a critter drop and a mission completion drop.  Missions and TFs also tend to have EBs and AVs that have higher chance of dropping good stuff.

And then my dedicated farmers that rarely leave AE have good days and bad days.  Like many superstitious baseball players, I find that leaving AE helps to break a slump or losing streak.  Is it coincidence?  Probably.  But it feels real to me . . . and it works!  I swear!

10 hours ago, UberGuy said:

There's no drop suppression. Not for invention stuff. There's drop suppression for a few things: Threads, Shards, Catalysts and one other thing - maybe converters? - have suppression mechanics. (All of the suppression mechanics for each of the things that have them are different.) Stuff like recipes, IO salvage, and SOs are all fixed probabilities checked on every defeat of a standard rank critter. The specific odds vary by critter rank and only by rank. However, your personal odds of receiving a given drop, once one is determined to happen, vary with team size, and, in multi-team contexts, whether another team did more damage to the thing that was defeated (which means the random choice of who gets the drop is given to someone on their team).

I bolded "Threads, Shards" when I quoted because I'm hoping you could elaborate a little bit about the suppression of those 2 items.  I know catalysts are a 1 per fixed time drop.  I haven't heard of anything for threads and shards though so I'm hoping to get edumacated about that if you get a spare moment.

53 minutes ago, Hedgefund said:

I bolded "Threads, Shards" when I quoted because I'm hoping you could elaborate a little bit about the suppression of those 2 items.  I know catalysts are a 1 per fixed time drop.  I haven't heard of anything for threads and shards though so I'm hoping to get edumacated about that if you get a spare moment.

I don't remember the exact details, but I know for sure that threads use a relatively complicated modification of your chance to get one based on how recently you got one before. I think I recall that shards have something similar, but it's different and not as aggressive. This is something shared on forums that are no longer around, so I don't know if I have access to the specific details anymore without a code (data) dive.

• Thanks 1