How to have a bad time in Synapse ...

excessionoz

On 6/16/2021 at 8:16 PM, Solarverse said:

There were three total occasions where if somebody triggered the cut scene before disarming the bombs, that the AV didn't spawn. The first time we thought it was a fluke, after the second time it happened, I seen the most likely cause and kept it in mind for future runs.

@Solarverse Could you share which tf/mission you're talking about? I'm trying to think of various ones with bombs and an AV...LRSF? 

1 hour ago, Wavicle said:

I'm sorry, I just think it's ridiculous how people are insisting on TTing everywhere. Did you not take a travel power? Do you not have LRT to Steel?

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. TT is a valuable tool. It saves time. Most of us aren't kids any more. We have responsibilities, demands on our time. Anything that will shave minutes or even seconds on a task force is worth the influence to me. Anyone who's got the inclination can make 10M from the AH in minutes. The idea that EVERYONE doesn't have and make full use of Team Teleport is laughable. There's not one reason to not use it every chance you can. To see the same npcs robbing the same purses? To see the same buildings in the same cities? Seriously? Why? It's not new. (then again, most of the content isn't new either - but it can seem new with a new character and a new team. ) 

It's not like 10m is expensive. There's nothing in this flavor of CoH that's expensive, so why not? 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. 

15 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

Sorry, I'm just not that worried about shaving seconds off a free game I play for fun.

I'm totally good with both of these viewpoints.  I think it is important to realize that we all play the game the way we want or the way we know.  What grinds my gears is when someone else *insists* that I *have* to play their way.  Now, I rarely play anything that has any negative consequences (like failing to get a Mo badge or what have you) so that might be different.  But if I'm running a TF, and someone wants to walk from Atlas to Founders Falls, power to them.  We're not going to wait, but you do you.  This is pretty much how I feel about things like KB and such as well.  If something really bothers you, say something, work it out, or find someone else to play with politely.  This isn't an ideological warzone.

The only exception I've made in travel powers was one time I was putting together a Shadow Shard TF and I made sure everyone had TT and a jetpack.  Two people on the team didn't, so I gave them each 25mm to go buy what they needed (and what I felt the team needed).  Communication.  It's good stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

2 hours ago, Ukase said: The idea that EVERYONE doesn't have and make full use of Team Teleport is laughable. There's not one reason to not use it every chance you can. 

It's not like 10m is expensive. There's nothing in this flavor of CoH that's expensive, so why not? 

Uh, because I don’t want it.

I know it’s hard for you to believe that not everyone plays the same way you do, but there are those of us out there that like to do things our way.

Out of curiosity, is there anything else you want everyone to have ?  

• Thumbs Down 1

IMO, unless its specifically a speed run or one of the truly awful TFs or the mission is egregiously far, I kinda get annoyed at constant TT spam because I am not a kid anymore.  Yeah, that kinda runs contrary, but think of it from another perspective.  Travel time is white space.  It gives me a moment to wind down from the last mission, catch my breath, refocus, maybe take a quick bio break, and, most, most, most importantly, rest my hands and wrists.   I'm not a kid anymore:  some games like CoH will leave my arms and wrists hurting if I play either too long or don't have that couple minute break in travel time where I can set auto-run and just focus on idle maneuvering rather than mashing all the buttons.  It can make the difference between being done for the day after the task force to prevent injury or being able to keep playing for a few hours more, free-time depending, with no issue whatsoever.

So yeah, when you're trying to figure out where you can shave two minutes here and there, please keep in mind some people might prefer a slower pace for health reasons!  And if you're wondering why they don't mention it more?  Well, not everyone wants to share their health issues with strangers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ukase said:

Hmm....

But you can't disarm all the bombs before the cut scene.   The last bomb is beyond the trigger for it.  I also haven't seen this bug happen and been on several times having the cut scene happen before several other bombs hadn't been disarmed

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ghost said:

Uh, because I don’t want it.

I know it’s hard for you to believe that not everyone plays the same way you do, but there are those of us out there that like to do things our way.

Out of curiosity, is there anything else you want everyone to have ?  

For a master tf or trial run, at least 500 badges. Why? Because in my mind, it shows a commitment to badging. Even though those can be got by doing just the explorations, it still shows commitment, as opposed to someone who was just bored and wanted something to do - who didn't really care about a master badge in the first place. Not to mention, a higher badge count increases the likelihood that they've seen a decent cross  section of what the game has to offer. They're more likely to at least have been exposed to various debuffs and game mechanics. No guarantees, but the more experienced a player is, the more likely they'll know to avoid jumping in a mob without a suitable strategy. On a master Kahn, and someone hops into that laser room out of curiosity and then dies - despite warnings to not go in there - they die and effectively tell the team they don't care about the other person's time. Time is important! 

Don't get me wrong, I don't insist everyone have TT. I just shake my head and wonder why they don't have it when it's so useful. 

I fully understand that there are players who like to do things their own way. I'm one of them. My way is just different. 

Some folks build a character for max dps. Some max defense/resist. Some max recharge. There's no right or wrong here. But there is definitely a faster and a slower, at least with regards to getting to missions. Why be slower? I get that for thematic purposes someone might forgo a travel power on their new gorilla tank, as beast run fits better in their theme. But, that's on you. If you want half the missions to be complete before you get there, should you be on a speed run tf of some kind - where's the fun in that for you? 

Now, some will just avoid those kinds of teams, and that's fine. Do you. I just think it makes perfect sense to go as fast as you can go unless circumstances warrant you go slower - like a traditional leveling team where everyone starts at level 1, plays for a set time, and meets again the next week. No need to speed something like that. Get there when you get there. 

But when you're level 50, you've got a new alt in mind, and you don't have the funds like I do, you need those merits, and you want them sooner than later. And there's only so much game time you have. By going slowly, you've just pushed that idea you wanted to try even further away. 

For me, the game is easy. It's no longer really enough for me to get The Really Hard Way Badge. I want to get it faster than we did last time. I want to improve. But I completely get that's just me, and I don't expect that of you. But it would be better for me if you did. Better for you? I'm not worried about that. That's your department. 

I run Master ITF's and Master Kahns - and I don't do it for the badge.  I do it to challenge myself.

I'm not committed to badges (think I have less than 150 on any given character - couldn't tell you for sure, because I don't care enough to ever look), nor am I ever just bored and looking for something to do.

Badges show no more commitment than being a level 50.  Everything in this game can be shortcutted (is that even a word?).

To me, commitment to the game is joining that +2/3/4 Synapse, knowing you are investing well over 90 minutes.   Or joining a +1/+2 ITF knowing there will be more newbies than 50's, and helping walk them through getting the Midnight Badge.

You seem to be all about speeding through, and that's fine. That's what makes you happy.

I imagine you are one of the players who will happily leave a team behind if you feel they are not moving at an acceptable pace for you.   In other words, selfish (as reinforced by your last couple sentences).

Me, I want to play.  Not so badly that I would put up with someone like you on a team.  I would leave if you were leading - I would kick you to the curb if I was.

Don't imagine that will ever be an issue though.  We have two completely different outlooks on this game, so I cant imagine our paths will ever cross.     

Edited by Ghost
  • Thumbs Down 1

17 hours ago, Ukase said:

For a master tf or trial run, at least 500 badges. Why? Because in my mind, it shows a commitment to badging.

Yea, but that's literally only in your mind. And a really elitist, exclusionary approach.

17 hours ago, Ukase said:

But I completely get that's just me, and I don't expect that of you.

yet your post is full of incredulous remarks about "why?" as if people owe you an explanation to justify that they don't play exactly like you.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Wavicle said:

Yea, but that's literally only in your mind. And a really elitist, exclusionary approach.

yet your post is full of incredulous remarks about "why?" as if people owe you an explanation to justify that they don't play exactly like you.

Of course I ask why. I ask why because I don't understand your perspective. Granted, I don't have to, nor do you have to understand mine. But why wouldn't you do all you could to be as good as you can be? 

You may think of it as elitist, but you say that like it's a negative. I am just trying to save time. It's like in the real world, and I want to hire someone. Do I hire someone with very little experience or someone with a lot of experience? I go with the person with the most experience. Particularly in this game, because I don't have to pay them - the game pays them. And while we all get the same rewards for the most part, the ones that go the fastest make more per unit of time. That just makes sense to me. But hey, to each their own. 

That said, I understand that folks will want to actually read what the npc/contact says, or perhaps ruminate on certain bits of dialogue. I have no issue with that. Just not on a speedy run, thanks. I can further understand that some folks, for thematic reasons may want to forgo a travel power when they play. 

I have such a character, newly created called Thong Kong. It/she is a gorilla, sort of, that wears a thong. Makes no sense for Thong Kong to be zipping about using super speed. So, it/she uses beast run. BUT - I do have Super Speed, and it/she will be using it on speed runs. And why not? Makes no sense to persue merits slowly. At least, not to me. 

But, if going slow is your cup of tea - savor it, if it tastes good to you. I have my moods where I'll go slower with certain characters. Particularly during the week when I might have to take a call and am solo. But, when teamed, I ensure I'm not a hindrance or anchor, at least to the best of my ability. 

Nobody owes me an explanation for anything. But it would be nice if I could understand that perspective more clearly. I'm trying to broaden my horizons. What about you? 

3 hours ago, Ukase said:

I have such a character, newly created called Thong Kong. It/she is a gorilla, sort of, that wears a thong. Makes no sense for Thong Kong to be zipping about using super speed. So, it/she uses beast run. BUT - I do have Super Speed, and it/she will be using it on speed runs.

You can disable the effects from super speed and then set your travel power animation to beast run under stances now.  It's really fun combining the stances with path auras too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ukase said:

But why wouldn't you do all you could to be as good as you can be? 

Because some of us already are. Just because it doesn't conform to your arbitrary list of things required to be "the best" doesn't mean the character isn't exactly where we want it.

• Like 3

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

I don't want to zip through the content because I'm usually there for the content, not the rewards.  I mean, there are times where I do wanna just zip through something, with Synapse incidentally being the one TF I'm most likely to wish to do so because a major accolade is locked behind it and I'd probably not even give Synapse a sideways glance if that accolade wasn't there.  But otherwise, if I'm making or joining a TF, I'm there for the journey, not the destination.

But then again, I'll usually avoid Speed TFs for that very reason.  Usually because sometimes it'll be for Synapse or Citadel and I'll just be like "screw it, just get it over with."  Really wish that accolade wasn't tied to those task forces >.>  I might end up just living with out.

• Like 3

On 6/18/2021 at 2:31 PM, Wavicle said:

If this is so important to you then YOU should have it, or should have mentioned it before starting the tf. Complaining about it now is just silly.

I have PUGd the Synapse many many times.  I know the pain of ending up on a team of half invested clueless mouth breathers.  Hmmm.  That may have come out harsh

seriously though, on a long workday i sometimes calculate how much j have left to do by how many Synapses i have left or partial Synapse.  I have run this a bit

on a PUG Synapse you get what you get    I do not like to recruit and i do not like to discriminate.  That horrid player might be some 11 year old and this is their first week in the game.  Cannot always be true which means we got some real schlubs out there

but you take what you get and you get the badge. In truth having all the toys saves maybe ten-fifteen minutes.  Okay with stealth and ATT that can get closer to 30 if the other option is the team bumbling through a giant map like low motivation zombies unsure where the brains are kept.  Some teams got a lot of Homers.  But if get a team with a few Hawkings and roll the small maps you can be done in under an hour easy

the Homers make for better gripe sessions on the boards

Edited by Snarky
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Rumors said:

I don't want to zip through the content because I'm usually there for the content, not the rewards.  I mean, there are times where I do wanna just zip through something, with Synapse incidentally being the one TF I'm most likely to wish to do so because a major accolade is locked behind it and I'd probably not even give Synapse a sideways glance if that accolade wasn't there.  But otherwise, if I'm making or joining a TF, I'm there for the journey, not the destination.

But then again, I'll usually avoid Speed TFs for that very reason.  Usually because sometimes it'll be for Synapse or Citadel and I'll just be like "screw it, just get it over with."  Really wish that accolade wasn't tied to those task forces >.>  I might end up just living with out.

This may be something you're aware of and skip for thematic purposes, but if you have a character that has Schweinzer unlocked, you can get TFC in about 15 minutes. 
Simply log in an alt, or ride along with friends and do each mayhem bank mission and get the exploration within. You don't even have to defeat a single npc. In fact, it's advised you don't, as that would take the 20 seconds to zip in and out and turn it into a longer task. 
I have a character on each of my three accounts with Schweinzer unlocked and will typically get Invader, the red side equivalent of TFC on all my characters around level 15. Then, I switch them back to hero, and poof, I now have TFC. The only reason to suffer through those task forces that are repetitive and lengthy is because you want the merits, badge, or you derive some fun out of them. Or a combination of all three. 

But if it's just the accolade you want - invader is a faster, easier approach. Cosmic Council SG does a weekly/bi-weekly run for all 4 passive stat boosting accolades. Takes about 2 hours. Usually less if people are..well, speedy. 

• Like 1