How to have a bad time in Synapse ...

excessionoz

On 6/14/2021 at 1:57 AM, excessionoz said:

Synapse - *a horrorshow* </clockwork orange>

Since I made a clockwork orange AE mission, I need to point out that horrorshow means good in that context, which I had forgotten as well.  Though the meaning does get modified during the book.

https://www.rbth.com/education/326453-russia-words-from-clockwork-orange

On the terms of Synapse. it's one of those Taskforces that could use a rework.  Too many missions that are just repeats

Sounds like fun to me.

When I form a TF, I give it roughly 10 minutes to form.  Long as I have at least 5 members on the team, Ill adjust the settings and start.  No need to wait for it to fill.  

Ive been on several Synapse in which no one had TT or ATT - with the base portal power, its no big deal.  Most of the zones in the TF are small enough that it takes no time to quickly get to a portal.

Deaths are how you learn to play differently - no deaths, and you simply go through the same motions until you get bored.

and finally, was Snarky on this PUG?  He has a way of being attracted to disastrous PUGs, so if he wasn't on the team, it wasn't a disaster 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Back in the day when there was no ATT, few Recall Friends, no Ouroboros, I remember being on a Synapse that took 6+ hours.

Mapserve errors back in the early days meant  you were booted from the TF.

Positron and Synapse were all easily over 3 hours.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

edit: disregard, Mr. Vee beat me to it and reading is hard

EDIT 2: my preferred way to run synapse is to solo it or run with no more than 3 players as this minimizes spawn size and especially avoids bosses spawning - this is important bc i spend a lot of time waiting for gears to spawn and with the abysmal AoE at low levels I get quite sick of killing them one at a time...

Edited by Machariel

I don't know. Sounds like a newbie team more than the worse Synapse ever in history. The truth is that if you can be the glue of the team then things will work much better than expecting others (newbies as it appears that team was) to just know things.

• Bring TT instead of expecting others to have it.
  • Say you're going to use it before the mission ends.
  • Get mission transporter and ATT so you can scoop everyone up in things like Bertha's mission that can be in the the africas.
  • Bring your own stealth IO into Sprint if you intend to run past mobs.
  • Replenish purple inspirations between missions with /ah so you can be a durable rock.
  • Remember the team they can replenish inspirations with /ah between missions.
  • If you're going to a tough moment (I.E. last bosses of Positron part one) come prepared (in that particular example I make sure to arrive with 2-3 oranges and then I also nom on 2-3 purples. Between that jumping in first this ensures the team is mostly safe as the 8 bosses focus on me).
  • Remember you can get Ouroboro portals up at level 1. If you don't have it grab it. Remind other people to use it so they get their own as this can cut down on a lot of running.
  • Get Fast Travel (costs 1 mill). It's up every 10 minutes. Use this macro with Fast Travel: /macro Portal "enterbasefrompasscode zone-8888"
  • Remind your team mates they can use the above macro to move around in the game by pasting this into the chat: To move around in the game: /macro Portal "enterbasefrompasscode zone-8888"
  • If they say they don't know how to make money and don't have one million paste this: https://tinyurl.com/HomecomingNewbieGuide
Edited by Sovera
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/14/2021 at 8:55 AM, ForeverLaxx said:

It's a sad time when a normally executed Synapse, experienced "as intended", is considered a bad thing.

I disagree with this idea of folks routinely dying during any TFC task force being an experience that's "as intended".  To me, defeat means you're doing something wrong, either tactically, or poor execution of an otherwise sound tactic. Unless it's your very first or second character. In that context, I can understand growing pains. 

Learn from it, you win. You don't, you lose. But I'm sure that's just me.  You do what's fun for you.

But me? I'm with the OP on this one. That would be torture, in more ways than one. I can't fathom sitting down for more than 90 minutes at a time. My legs get stiff and my feet start bouncing up and down, telling me to move! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

and finally, was Snarky on this PUG?  He has a way of being attracted to disastrous PUGs, so if he wasn't on the team, it wasn't a disaster 🙂

This comment made my night. Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

Sounds like fun to me.

When I form a TF, I give it roughly 10 minutes to form.  Long as I have at least 5 members on the team, Ill adjust the settings and start.  No need to wait for it to fill.  

Ive been on several Synapse in which no one had TT or ATT - with the base portal power, its no big deal.  Most of the zones in the TF are small enough that it takes no time to quickly get to a portal.

Deaths are how you learn to play differently - no deaths, and you simply go through the same motions until you get bored.

All hail Lord Snarky! King of Disasters! 😛

• Haha 1

On 6/14/2021 at 6:17 AM, Xenosone said:

The pvp zone patrols give you stealth and you can get it 3 times. After level 15 theres no reason to not have stealth of some kind.

You can also get stealth from the SG buff table for 90 minutes at a time for the usual 3 pieces of cheap salvage from level 1.  Although you can't turn off unless you go into your powers and delete it early.  So, not great if you need to lead hostages out.  Still it can be handy for early levels. 

But overall I'm with the crowd that says this didn't sound that bad.  On the rescue hostages mission especially I cringe a bit when people try to "stealth" that one.  It tends to get messy as random groups are aggroed and then left behind to zap other teammates who may not be able to handle it, or teammates end up having to just door sit, which is not a fun time for most people.

On 6/14/2021 at 2:49 PM, ZemX said:

"Okay folks!  Remember to stick together and NOBODY go near the steps to City Hall until we're all ready.  Got that?"

"Can I interest you in the exciting world of day jobs ambushes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/14/2021 at 7:47 PM, Mina said:

Some of the changes I like...early travel, guides for easy pick up influence and so forth. But when, for goodness sake, did SPEED become the entire focus of the game? And WHY?? I just don't get it.

The serious answer is: merits.  The arrival of merit rewards determined on a merits-per-minute formula made speed-running TFs extremely rewarding.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

33 minutes ago, Grouchybeast said:

The serious answer is: merits.  The arrival of merit rewards determined on a merits-per-minute formula made speed-running TFs extremely rewarding.

Yep.  Quite a few people I know believe that a TF/SF/Trial should take no longer than a one minute per one reward merit ratio, preferably less.  If something gives 20 reward merits, it should only take 20 minutes or less to run or it's not considered worth doing.  I don't agree with that sentiment, but it's not uncommon.

• Like 1

There were three total occasions where if somebody triggered the cut scene before disarming the bombs, that the AV didn't spawn. The first time we thought it was a fluke, after the second time it happened, I seen the most likely cause and kept it in mind for future runs.

One day, I seen this guy running ahead and I warned in chat, "Hey, there is a chance that the AV won't spawn if you trigger the cut scene before you disarm the bombs, please don't risk it!"

*Player runs ahead, triggers cut scene, not one single bomb disarmed*

*Cut scene ends, we disarm the bombs, sure enough, no AV.*

All that work put in order to get the the final fight just for the team to disband.

Sigh...

And looking back, nothing I could have said would have made the guy change his mind and not trigger the cut scene. It was like seeing the future and unable to change the outcome, lol.

I don't know if this still causes the bug or not, have not experienced this in a very long time, so it may have been fixed by now or it could have just been a flaky update that has corrected itself after other updates, but at the time, it was very frustrating to warn somebody and they ignore you and create the very problem you warned them about, lol.

Edited by Solarverse
Bad grammar

On 6/14/2021 at 7:47 PM, Mina said:

Some of the changes I like...early travel, guides for easy pick up influence and so forth. But when, for goodness sake, did SPEED become the entire focus of the game? And WHY??

I'll answer this in good faith as one who tends to SPEED: because there is not much content in the game and most of us have done TFs for the 500th time on our 500th alt. That means if I have a mission which is 'find a computer' I don't feel a compelling need to fight everything trying to find the computer. The next mission will be a kill all anyway and we will engage in acts of mayhem regardless.

Most of the time I just encourage someone to go look for said computer while I engage in mayhem to collect XP with the rest of the team.

I completely understand your point of view though. Doing WoW dungeons is an exercise in frustration with players min maxing the routes where they can skip as much as possible (often resulting in barbaric team wipes as less experienced players fail as they are dragged through these narrow agro avoiding paths). Playing GW2 dungeons/fractals was an exercise in players figuring out the geometry and how to bounce over walls to avoid patrols. Currently on a break from CoH and playing SWTOR and again Flashpoints are all about careful skips jumping over walls and etc.

It does kind of get annoying in those games (particularly WoW with the advent of timers where players botching the skips can mean wasting a key/run) trying to bounce tricky jumps off the game's geometry, but in CoH a 'dungeon' is a series of missions. There will always be 'kill all' mingled in, or objectives we need to kill most anyway (find six hostages mixed in all of the rest), so efficiently finding a computer to finish that mission is no great sin.

For me, that is. I speak only of my opinion. I don't make great efforts at super speeding everything, but I do carry my TT, my ATT, my Ouro, and have the portal base keybound.

As always those who dislike such practices should try to form their own teams (no sarcasm). Very much say the content will not be run ahead or skipped. I have seen people advertise for it and they got their team filled and did the TF. I even joined them and the team leader was upset that I was not killing the last minions with the team and had moved to the next room so we weren't a good fit, but as adults we talked it out and they didn't kick me and I didn't ragequit.

The ones who truly are 'for the merits' are speed runs at minimum difficulty and running past everything when possible. They are always advertised as such (I loathe those).

20 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

I'm not disagreeing that it got worse with merits, but it really started before then - whether it was speedrunning the LRSF because it was the only way to get (S)HO enhancements at the time, or the "pool C recipe drop" that was put in before merits were ever a thing. Basically, as soon as the reward for doing something became more than SOs, people started speedrunning in order to farm the rewards. For me, at least, that also includes accolade badges, since many of the TFC TFs aren't exactly the most exciting and engaging content in the game.

But really the original dev team was the one that decided to tie time to merit rewards when they based them off of a "20 merits = 1 hour" rule of thumb with no bonuses for difficulty, an occasional penalty for things frequently run after they set the initial rewards (*coughKHTFcough*), and beyond those occasional penalties they rarely ever revisited them after people started speedrunning things that were mostly ignored before because the merit reward was much higher than the time it took to speedrun, ignoring things that were speedrun before they set the rewards because now the reward was pathetic compared to the other options, or even after tweaks were made to things to slow down completion.

I almost never run speedrun teams.  When I lead a team, it's always with the intent to play casually fast. Defeat the mobs in between the team and the objectives unless it's not logical to do that (huge open maps,ridiculous orangebagel maps etc, I don't ever want to fight everything on them, so you skip, because that makes sense for respecting everyone's time). Sure, I move at a fast pace if I'm on a pace-setting character like a tanker or brute or whatever can absorb alpha strikes, but again that is just respecting everyone on the team's playtime.

Synpase the task force itself isn't very respecful of player's time, so I'm always leaning toward moving as quickly as possible through it, but I get the other side too.

I like efficient play, I'm not really into speedrunning, timing things out to the second.  Whatever shaves a few minutes off the end time seems like a smart choice, not something to be avoided or shamed.  The fact is there are always more mobs to fight, stopping to fight them specifically to "get XP" isn't doing any favors because you're slowing down objective (instant) rewards for slow (mob grind) rewards. You will always get mob grind XP, always, even if you're with an advertised speedrun team, you'll get mob grind XP because you have to do that for content to progress. I don't fret when someone stealths a mission or ATT's the group to an objective because the mobs I was fighting are exactly the same as the mobs they just ATT'd me to or that are in the next mission, I lose nothing by progressing in the arc, and tend to gain something in the faster objective rewards.

I do not understand players who gripe and moan about moving through objectives quickly and call any kind of advancement beyond fighting everything always a "speedrun". They just aren't speedruns.  It's efficient play to make the most of the rewards available, it isn't some structured record-setting agenda. I do however understand not enjoying efficient play just because you enjoy slow paced mob grinding more than getting the most advancement out of your playtime. That's fine too and I support that you have fun that way, but if it isn't your team, you're always empowered to leave that team and create one that will play by your interests (as has been said by the previous reply), there's nothing wrong with that. Instead of complaining to a team that clearly has more fun playing faster, make one that has more fun playing slower; that seems like the more positive way to approach it.

All of that said, here's an aside, an anecdote related to this.

I had a rough experience early on with Homecoming on an ITF that sticks with me still.

I was playing a Brute that was pretty much a complete build, but the team was filled with mostly lower levels or underslotted characters/non-incarnates.  I moved very quickly from objective to objective, and people died, not a little but a lot, while I was doing the objectives and they were trying to keep up.  I was essentially oblivious to this or too preoccupied to care.

I was in a rush, I wasn't paying much attention to the team because in most of my other ITF experiences at that point, everyone was high level, well-slotted, and ready to go for ITF's before that I'd joined. This team was a mess, really, and by the last mission I could tell the team wasn't happy and the deaths were (quietly) being blamed on me, which I can't really deny is probably true. I was playing scrapperlock solo style and the team just wasn't sturdy enough to keep up with that kind of pace. I could have changed what I was doing and stopped, controlled aggro and pace to match the team's capabilities even though I was clearly capable of soloing the ITF faster than the team could advance through it.

We got to Rom eventually at the end and it all went as far downhill as it could go.  Nobody else on the team, not a single character, was able to withstand the AoE's around Rom, so it was just me rotating Dark Regen as fast as I could while handling all of the ambushes and first spawn Rom's group, while the team chain-died again and again and again to the point where they were hosping and running back.  DPSing Rom by myself was slow going, and after what felt like half an hour of constant total party wipeouts (besides me), I finished Rom off.

The leader of the team kicked me from the team the moment that the TF completed. I was sort of shocked, stared at the screen for a few minutes before it finally crossed my mind that I was that group's archvillain. I ruined seven other people's fun over a couple hours because I wasn't being attentive or considerate.  I was angry for a little bit just because I'm not accustomed to being kicked from teams, but that faded quickly because it was well deserved kicking. There was no explanation given by the team leader, I stopped myself from trying to engage with them more and talk it over because I was cringing at myself and my behavior so much, it was embarrassing.

I have since taken great measures to not be that player again, even when I get the impulse to move faster and faster. I have witnessed players who acted like that afterwards and noted it carefully. I think that kind of play is the most egregious and deserving of complaint, and I suspect that's the kind of play that most people who have issues with "speed" are actually trying to avoid or want to be heard about.

Definitely don't be like I was. Respect other player's time, but also respect their enjoyment.  As soon as you join a team, the game isn't just about your own fun, it's about everyone in your team's fun, and all things should be approached collaboratively with that in mind.  You can make a team more successful and make them enjoy their time better just by being considerate, that's all you have to do.  It's worth it, people will join your task forces more often when you treat them right.  Be better, it's worth it, at least it was worth it for me.

It wasn't a rough experience for me, in the end, it was a rough experience for those seven other players.

• Like 10
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great post Dark Dove

Thanks for sharing, and glad you learned something from it.

It is very frustrating to join a TF, and see one player break off to do their own thing.  There have been times the leader will ask the person to stop, but they rarely do.  Just as they are rarely ever kicked.  
I usually just 1 star them, with a note as to why.  That way if I come across them I can decide to either put up with it, or move on.  If it happens to be a team I put together, I can have a conversation with them.

Hopefully more of them come to the same realization that you did, but most likely they won’t.

• Thumbs Down 1

On 6/14/2021 at 8:27 AM, RebornRose said:

screenshot_210613-23-59-37.thumb.jpg.3e1b65d06c165eebea2779cd0831fd84.jpg

That is an awesome example pic of what CoH is like. It's got the perfect amount of particle effects going on to give the feel without too much to busy up the screen. The Mob is in his 'oh no', bouncy mode when he's taking a ton of hits and the players are all in action/attack poses. This could have been a Cryptic/Paragon marketing pic from back when it was live.

People often make them too busy and too much action to try and show how much fun it is, but this one has just the right amount.

• Like 4

I needed the badge on a new 50 Corr yesterday.  Also wanted to test him since this will be a low level toon for a while in a future event.  (granted without exemp;d set bonuses and a ton of inspiration tray lol)  Joined the next Synapse PUG rolling.  

We got small maps over 2/3 time.  The bigger maps...not that big.  This would be the one Quality of Life change I seriously wish HC Devs would do.  Rather than revamp the whole Effing TF they could just dial in small maps for all the kill alls.  It would change this from a trip to the dentist for 3 cavities to a postage stamp tattoo.

We had a good team.  A number of peeps had TT, Stealth, ATT and knew what they were doing.  There was the one guy (or gal) who kept running into combat at the door, regardless of how obvious it was that we were using speed strategy.  They died.  A lot.  I tried to help a couple times on my Corruptor.  Dark/Dark is a sweet help to melee in combat.  Fear, tohit debuff.  Heal if i'm close.  Decent cones to scourge the little robots. We would clear that group and the maniac would charge further into the warehouse.  Thankfully ATT pulled me away from that.

It was a fine run.  Even the maniac seemed to have a good time.  Although they died...sooo much.  We had to wait for the ATT on the last mission for them to return from the Hosp.  They got to the door first and just charged I think.  Disregarding our long history of getting ATT to the objective.  

58 minutes.  Many congratulatory phrases from teammates.  Poof, PUG was gone. Badge acquired.  Low level test of Dark/Dark Corr successful.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dark Dove said:

I was in a rush, I wasn't paying much attention to the team because in most of my other ITF experiences at that point, everyone was high level, well-slotted, and ready to go for ITF's before that I'd joined. This team was a mess, really, and by the last mission I could tell the team wasn't happy and the deaths were (quietly) being blamed on me, which I can't really deny is probably true. I was playing scrapperlock solo style and the team just wasn't sturdy enough to keep up with that kind of pace. I could have changed what I was doing and stopped, controlled aggro and pace to match the team's capabilities even though I was clearly capable of soloing the ITF faster than the team could advance through it.

I have played mostly Brutes for years on Live and Homecoming.  I never take Taunt.  That usually turns into a different thread.  Just pointing it out.  However, Brutes are THE rock that holds struggling teams together.  When you are the only Brute and there is no Tank you need to get the old words in your head "First to fight, first to fall, never fall"  Hold the line in whatever crazy ass direction the sugar addled maniac villains you are yoked to are going.  It doesnt matter if they are going in the opposite direction of every objective and commoin sense is a distant memory.  Get the current situation nailed down then throw out a (very short) query into team chat.  "Are we going to go to the altar?"  "The last shard is in the west tunnel"  "I dont think there is anything over here besides 10000 romans.  No objectives."

18 hours ago, Dark Dove said:

I almost never run speedrun teams.  When I lead a team, it's always with the intent to play casually fast. Defeat the mobs in between the team and the objectives unless it's not logical to do that (huge open maps,ridiculous orangebagel maps etc, I don't ever want to fight everything on them, so you skip, because that makes sense for respecting everyone's time). Sure, I move at a fast pace if I'm on a pace-setting character like a tanker or brute or whatever can absorb alpha strikes, but again that is just respecting everyone on the team's playtime.

Synpase the task force itself isn't very respecful of player's time, so I'm always leaning toward moving as quickly as possible through it, but I get the other side too.

I like efficient play, I'm not really into speedrunning, timing things out to the second.  Whatever shaves a few minutes off the end time seems like a smart choice, not something to be avoided or shamed.  The fact is there are always more mobs to fight, stopping to fight them specifically to "get XP" isn't doing any favors because you're slowing down objective (instant) rewards for slow (mob grind) rewards. You will always get mob grind XP, always, even if you're with an advertised speedrun team, you'll get mob grind XP because you have to do that for content to progress. I don't fret when someone stealths a mission or ATT's the group to an objective because the mobs I was fighting are exactly the same as the mobs they just ATT'd me to or that are in the next mission, I lose nothing by progressing in the arc, and tend to gain something in the faster objective rewards.

I do not understand players who gripe and moan about moving through objectives quickly and call any kind of advancement beyond fighting everything always a "speedrun". They just aren't speedruns.  It's efficient play to make the most of the rewards available, it isn't some structured record-setting agenda. I do however understand not enjoying efficient play just because you enjoy slow paced mob grinding more than getting the most advancement out of your playtime. That's fine too and I support that you have fun that way, but if it isn't your team, you're always empowered to leave that team and create one that will play by your interests (as has been said by the previous reply), there's nothing wrong with that. Instead of complaining to a team that clearly has more fun playing faster, make one that has more fun playing slower; that seems like the more positive way to approach it.

All of that said, here's an aside, an anecdote related to this.

I had a rough experience early on with Homecoming on an ITF that sticks with me still.

I was playing a Brute that was pretty much a complete build, but the team was filled with mostly lower levels or underslotted characters/non-incarnates.  I moved very quickly from objective to objective, and people died, not a little but a lot, while I was doing the objectives and they were trying to keep up.  I was essentially oblivious to this or too preoccupied to care.

We got to Rom eventually at the end and it all went as far downhill as it could go.  Nobody else on the team, not a single character, was able to withstand the AoE's around Rom, so it was just me rotating Dark Regen as fast as I could while handling all of the ambushes and first spawn Rom's group, while the team chain-died again and again and again to the point where they were hosping and running back.  DPSing Rom by myself was slow going, and after what felt like half an hour of constant total party wipeouts (besides me), I finished Rom off.

The leader of the team kicked me from the team the moment that the TF completed. I was sort of shocked, stared at the screen for a few minutes before it finally crossed my mind that I was that group's archvillain. I ruined seven other people's fun over a couple hours because I wasn't being attentive or considerate.  I was angry for a little bit just because I'm not accustomed to being kicked from teams, but that faded quickly because it was well deserved kicking. There was no explanation given by the team leader, I stopped myself from trying to engage with them more and talk it over because I was cringing at myself and my behavior so much, it was embarrassing.

I have since taken great measures to not be that player again, even when I get the impulse to move faster and faster. I have witnessed players who acted like that afterwards and noted it carefully. I think that kind of play is the most egregious and deserving of complaint, and I suspect that's the kind of play that most people who have issues with "speed" are actually trying to avoid or want to be heard about.

Definitely don't be like I was. Respect other player's time, but also respect their enjoyment.  As soon as you join a team, the game isn't just about your own fun, it's about everyone in your team's fun, and all things should be approached collaboratively with that in mind.  You can make a team more successful and make them enjoy their time better just by being considerate, that's all you have to do.  It's worth it, people will join your task forces more often when you treat them right.  Be better, it's worth it, at least it was worth it for me.

It wasn't a rough experience for me, in the end, it was a rough experience for those seven other players.

Thanks so much for this great explanation. Back in the old days of COH, after 5 years of playing, I probably advanced all the way up to a mediocre player, but I had fun. In this version, most teaming experiences have not been much fun. Could be missing my husband or my sg team mates. Could be I just really don't understand the game as well as I did previously.  So your explanation is really helpful for me to keep in mind, people are not necessarily trying to ruin game play for others.

1 hour ago, Mina said:

Thanks so much for this great explanation. Back in the old days of COH, after 5 years of playing, I probably advanced all the way up to a mediocre player, but I had fun. In this version, most teaming experiences have not been much fun. Could be missing my husband or my sg team mates. Could be I just really don't understand the game as well as I did previously.  So your explanation is really helpful for me to keep in mind, people are not necessarily trying to ruin game play for others.

The hardest part for most PUG players these days is the giant differences in expectations on the team.  1 person: kill most.  2nd: kill ALL 3rd: speed. 4th speed when convenient. 5th: +4/x8 6th; read the npc dialog 7th; How do i get to the mission 8th; lets just all do the same thing

Edited by Snarky
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/15/2021 at 1:59 PM, Ghost said:

Sounds like fun to me.

I actually get a number of good ones.  But I PUG a lot.  If there is a bad PUG out there Iam determined to find it