HC Summer Costume Contest: Folklore, Fables, & Fairy Tales! - July 31st, 2021

GM Kaiju

• Lead Game Master

🤴👸Folklore, Fables, & Fairy Tales Costume Contest🐇🧚‍♂️

For the Homecoming summer costume contest, bring your best costume based on themes and creatures from Folklore, Fables, and Fairy Tales! Something styled from the Arabian Nights maybe? A punk-rock Fairy Godmother? A cybertech Robin Hood? We can't wait to see what you come up with!

A small note to keep in mind:

Please note the Code of Conduct still applies to this contest, and entries must not copy or otherwise directly emulate Disney or other IP versions of traditional characters. Such costumes cannot be considered and must be disqualified.

As usual, the prizes are MASSIVE! Also be sure to stick around after the contest, in case anyone (anything?) else crashes the party!

image.png.d42fe907eda91e3d1397d1f41f7b711e.png

When is the contest?

• July 31st @9pm UTC
  • 9pm UTC is:
    • 10pm UK time
    • 5pm Eastern time
    • 2pm Pacific time
    • Click here to see 9pm UTC in your timezone

Where?

• Echo Plaza on all five shards (Torchbearer, Excelsior, Reunion, Indomitable and Everlasting)
    • All characters can reach Echo Plaza via Pocket D, TUNNEL portals, and the Long Range Teleporter power

Spin straw into gold with these fabulous prizes!

• The 4 runner-up costumes on each shard will win:
    • A permanent golden title: Folklore Costume Contest Runner-Up
    • The Fashion Victim Badge 
    • 1,000 reward merits
    • 3 Heroes & Villains Super Packs
  • The best costume on each shard will win:
    • A permanent golden title: Folklore Costume Contest Finalist 
    • 5,000 reward merits
    • 5 Heroes & Villains Super Packs
  • The single best overall costume will win: 
    • A permanent golden title: Folklore Costume Contest Winner
    • 10,000 reward merits
    • 20 Heroes & Villains Super Packs

Costume manipulation wont be considered legitimate in costume contests. Any costume manipulation will be disqualified. It is an issue that will be fixed and isn't allowed on HC.

Also please note that costume contest judging is subjective and everyone's tastes are different. Please be kind to our GM's who volunteer their time to keep these servers running as smooth as possible. If you have any issues, please contact me here or on discord! 

Edited by GM Kaiju
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

• GM Kaiju changed the title to HC Summer Costume Contest: Folklore, Fables, & Fairy Tales! - July 31st, 2021
  • GM Kaiju pinned and featured this topic
On 7/10/2021 at 10:00 AM, GM Kaiju said:

Costume manipulation wont be considered legitimate in costume contests. Any costume manipulation will be disqualified. It is an issue that will be fixed and isn't allowed on HC.

First i've heard of such a thing.  What exactly does this mean?

• Thanks 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

Not to say anything which might be a breach of the Code of Conduct, @ZorkNemesis, but there have historically been . . . "ways" to get some costume pieces which are disabled from players normally using them.  Such as the Arachnoid back claws, which a winning player had used in one of the earlier official Costume Contests.  That player's win was rescinded when it was revealed to be the case, but it put a spotlight on the possibility.

• Lead Game Master
On 7/11/2021 at 8:14 PM, DarkWings said:

Do Myths count? For example Heracles from Greek myths. I ask this because according to wikipedia, it's considered a genre of folklore.

I agree, the lines are a bit blurry between folk tales, myths, and legends in a lot of cases. Mythological creatures and personas would be fine.

LOL  You changed the date.  I had the 17th marked on my google calendar for this contest.

I guess it pays to read.  But at least I can ask a question.

Can you mix or put a twist on a character from a story?  Like making a Red Riding Hood character, but she is also the Woodsman as an example?  Or would you like a pure and easy t read version?

1 hour ago, Tacheyon said:

LOL  You changed the date.  I had the 17th marked on my google calendar for this contest.

I guess it pays to read.  But at least I can ask a question.

Can you mix or put a twist on a character from a story?  Like making a Red Riding Hood character, but she is also the Woodsman as an example?  Or would you like a pure and easy t read version?

image.thumb.png.ee0fc30a05c4601da5d87a1fe63a15b4.png

• Like 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

• Lead Game Master
16 hours ago, Tacheyon said:

Absolutely! Creative interpretations like mashups and modernization/futurism are welcomed!

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 10:00 AM, GM Kaiju said:

Where?

• Echo Plaza on all five shards (Torchbearer, Excelsior, Reunion, Indomitable and Everlasting)
    • All characters can reach Echo Plaza via Pocket D, TUNNEL portals, and the Long Range Teleporter power

Echo Plaza is only accessible through Pocket D at present.

2 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Echo Plaza becomes accessible through Pocket D, TUNNEL portals, and the Long Range Teleporter power when events like this are held.

While I couldn't get there through the TUNNEL system.  I was able to access it no issues through Pocket D on Saturday.

58 minutes ago, Tacheyon said:

While I couldn't get there through the TUNNEL system.  I was able to access it no issues through Pocket D on Saturday.

This is exactly correct - the access points to Echo Plaza become available when special contests or events are held by the Homecoming volunteers. At all other times, Pocket D is the only access point.

On 4/27/2021 at 2:14 PM, Jimmy said:

Introducing Echo Plaza

Echo Plaza is a brand new zone that's built from the ground up for hosting events!

Along with a giant costume contest-friendly square, Echo Plaza also features a winners podium, an Icon store for making last-minute costume changes, a power-suppressing prison for dastardly players who leave Steamy Mist running, and a hospital for... reasons.

Echo Plaza is easily accessible from Pocket D, meaning all characters - including Praetorians - can access it and join in with future events. During official Homecoming events (and the entire month of May), Echo Plaza will also be accessible via TUNNEL portals and by using the Long Range Teleporter power.

echo3.thumb.jpeg.80107581838ef061865a1ff3e332f23d.jpeg

In the vast emptiness of the Shadow Shard, there is a peculiar cluster of debris; discarded attempts at remaking things the Ravager has seen in all the dimensions that he has consumed. One of Rularuu's aspects, Uuralur the Mirror, has organized some of the larger pieces into an area called the Garden of Memories, either out of remorse or for amusement, and populated it with Reflections from the original inhabitants. Not all of these testaments to extinguished life saw use in Uuralur's Garden; some of them were cast off even further into the cold Outer Reaches of the Shard.

echo1.thumb.jpeg.09a11bdf468377eb666404f5d6d27a2f.jpeg

One of these disowned pieces is a large Roman-style Colosseum, considered unworthy of Uraluur's vision. First discovered by the Shadow Shard Expeditionary Force under the leadership of Justin Augustine, it has no activity from the various Soldiers of Rularuu; mostly due to its remote location, but also because the Ravager would rather forget the memories tied to this place. Considered a brief respite during the long expedition, it was filed away in Justin's report as a potential location for Mole Point Echo and never visited again.

echo2.thumb.jpeg.c28d0079b2af6c736b1f0aad259a3508.jpeg

That is, until nearing the occasion of Paragon City's 198th anniversary, when a former member of the Shadow Shard Expeditionary Force was enjoying a few pints in Pocket D and described the place in detail, mentioning the bizarre clash of pieces from different dimensions. After an hour of raucous argument, other patrons and management came to the same conclusion: nothing would come of this until someone "put up or shut up". With the wild stories from the inebriated soldier fresh in everyone's minds, patrons politely asked DJ Zero to open a passage to it, if it could be done. After promising that they would "party hard" and leave their conflicts and troubles at the door, DJ Zero agreed to locate it and open a gateway. It is unclear how long the traffic into this corner of the Shadow Shard will be tolerated by Rularuu, but until then, Echo Plaza is open for business.

map_Echo_Plaza.png.c32f2adcec9a5fad6aa1c68c3bd3c404.png.bba071a352ff18af1f14b03a07cb9a36.png

• Like 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

• 2 weeks later

does the costume manipulation disqualification only apply for the costume i participate with or for any costume on the character

also talking about it please allow characters to be smaller without manipulation befor "fixing" that "bug"

• Confused 1

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak

19 hours ago, jkwak said:

does the costume manipulation disqualification only apply for the costume i participate with or for any costume on the character

also talking about it please allow characters to be smaller without manipulation befor "fixing" that "bug"

I am pretty sure they can only disqualify you for the costume you are presenting.  They don't have access to see any of your other ones.

Ya'll might have more people show up for the next costume contest on Torchbearer if the GM's had better taste. As it it is, it seems like they just assign everyone a number, then pick 4 or 5 random numbers and say "Hey you won"

I know it sounds like sour grapes, but some of those costumes were hideous/uncreative/no character bios/hardly any effort put into them at all.

At least one of the costumes looked like someone hit random in the editor, then gave the toon a name with a vague reference to a mythological creature.

"Oh yeah, that looks great, here a billion influence."

I Cant Believe my Viking Vampire didnt even get an honorable mention in a Fairy Tales and Folklore contest.

I wont be entering another.

Edited by Zapped
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zapped said:

Ya'll might have more people show up for the next costume contest on Torchbearer if the GM's had better taste. As it it is, it seems like they just assign everyone a number, then pick 4 or 5 random numbers and say "Hey you won"

I know it sounds like sour grapes, but some of those costumes were hideous/uncreative/no character bios/any effort put into them at all.

I Cant Believe my Viking Vampire didnt even get an honorable mention in a Fairy Tales and Folklore contest.

I wont be entering any more.

Salty much?

salty.gif.0eb3c8015e4a3226c0faf8c4a49fefc3.gif

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

17 minutes ago, Zapped said:

I know it sounds like sour grapes, but some of those costumes were hideous/uncreative/no character bios/any effort put into them at all.

I wont be entering any more.

Tastes,  and preferences are subjective.  There is no accounting what will appeal to someone, and what won't.  That said, assuming that your costume design is SO awesome, that if it doesn't get some kind of recognition, that it must be the judges fault, errs on the side of presumption, and arrogance.  I was a GM for a time, and I can assure you that how you framed the process, is not correct.  So, try to assume good intentions, and give them credit for being a little more engaged than that.

Edited by Abraxus
  • Thumbs Up 2

What was no more, is REBORN!

31 minutes ago, Abraxus said:

Tastes,  and preferences are subjective.  There is no accounting what will appeal to someone, and what won't.  That said, assuming that your costume design is SO awesome, that if it doesn't get some kind of recognition, that it must be the judges fault, errs on the side of presumption, and arrogance.  I was a GM for a time, and I can assure you that how you framed the process, is not correct.  So, try to assume good intentions, and give them credit for being a little more engaged than that.

Since youve never seen my costume or bio one could easily say that youre being presumptuous and arrogant yourself.

I assure you that Ive put a hell of a lot of time, thought and effort into my character, his appearance, his powers and his backstory.....and as an artist who's sold his artwork all over the U.S, I think I know a thing or two about aesthetics.

When I see someone win who put almost zero effort into their character, I have a right to feel disappointed and wonder if the G.Ms arent handing rewards out at random or giving people trophy's just for participating.

Im more vocal than most but bad  or unfair judging can be a big reason why people dont enter contests in the first place.

Edited by Zapped

41 minutes ago, Zapped said:

Since youve never seen my costume or bio one could easily say that youre being presumptuous and arrogant yourself. I assure you that Ive put a hell of a lot of time, thought and effort into my character, his appearance, his powers and his backstory.

And when I see someone win who put almost zero effort into theirs I have a right to feel disappointed.

Im more vocal than most but bad  or unfair judging can be a big reason why people dont enter contests in the first place.

You do have a right to be disappointed.  But, that doesn't necessarily mean you are right.  And, it's how you respond to that disappointment that defines you.  So, before you articulate the reasons for your disappointment publicly, you might consider carefully first, the possibility that you could be wrong.  An inability more, and more prevalent in our society in general these days.  So, while you are certainly in good company in that regard, it does nothing to further prove your point. 

I will leave it there, as I'm sure any further comment would be futile.

Edited by Abraxus
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

What was no more, is REBORN!

I thought my costume character concept was a good one too. Am I disappointed I didn't win? Of course. But whether I think my character was better or not has no bearing on how the judges felt. For whatever reason (Which you do NOT know) they chose the way they did. I am happy for all the winners.

Also I kicked my own ass. WIN.

Edited by Nerio72
  • Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, Zapped said:

Since youve never seen my costume or bio one could easily say that youre being presumptuous and arrogant yourself. I assure you that Ive put a hell of a lot of time, thought and effort into my character, his appearance, his powers and his backstory.

And when I see someone win who put almost zero effort into theirs I have a right to feel disappointed.

I assure you that I didn't put almost zero effort in the costume. Not even close. It was a special gift to my grandma who passed away this year (no, GMs didn't know it at all) and, aside from an idea which can be pretty simple, I made lots of test in every single detail. I am sorry for your disappointment, but the good you made with your costume do not necessary means that someone else did crap and didn't put any dedication in it. Hope you will be in the next round.

• Thumbs Up 1

A lot of y'all knocked it out of the park on Everlasting tonight.  (And made me regret not sending the werewolf instead of one of wound up being a few Red Riding Hoods.)  The winners were all quality and I'm kinda proud of who we sent to represent to the finals.  Thumbs up to everyone!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Starwave  Blue Gale  Wolfhound  Actionette  Relativity Rabbit