Notes from Redside

Snarky

In the back of my mind is always the next solo Redside project.  I have always done these on Brutes. Many times the exact same SS/Will (especially on live).  But this time I knew it would be different.  I auditioned a LOT of ATs and builds.

No one was as surprised as me that I just rolled a Stalker (not even a tested or examined option) and started the run on Saturday.  Woot! I chose a Dark/Invul for the Vampire theme named Snarkula.  Dark/Dark might be slightly more thematic.  But Dark/Invul is one of my all time melee favorites.  Also, I am writing a little story about this vamp and the Invul part is definitely in play.  Lot of good writing behind "they shoot you in the head, and then freak out when they realize it had no effect." Well, I think it is funny at least.  

I have just finished all arcs in Mercy. (Except Fire Wire which is mutually exclusive with another contact and must be picked up in Ouro later)  

This is pretty much on easy mode.  Ton of cash dropped onto the character and all the P2W goodies.  The run is at +0/x1, bosses okay, No AVs. I have an alt account now so I did something a little different.  I booted up both comps and ran Lord Schweinzers nine bank missions to get Invader Accolade.  I tried to get a Redside DFB going for the 4 buffs.  Now I usually go Rogue in the last few years and get these Blueside.  But I decided this will be a pure Red toon.  I managed an 8 person team for 1 run, and we had 4 stay for a rough second run.  That netted me Dam and AC buffs until 22.  Missed the harder to get badge both times.  Sigh.  Will keep a weather eye on LFG for a couple more Redside DFBs.  I am grimly looking at my prospects of getting four DiBs for buffs to 30.  Might have to recruit some guildies using guilt and bribes.

I do every contact on every map, stopping experience to do so.  When I "do a contact" I mean every story arc, every side mission, every thing they have until they tell me to stop bothering them and they got nothing else.  

Finally, Mercy Island.  How I love thee.  I listen to so much trash talk about Mercy.  The complaints about the story lines meaning nothing.  The whines about being an errand boy/girl.  Sigh.  Such schmucks.  It is all right there, perfect. A Shakespearean play in all it's ugly little glory. The dialogue in Dr Graves arc sucks mighty, I will give you that. The mechanics are a lot of nothing as well. But the story itself? That had a lot of potential.  The bones of that story are a solid supervillain arc, and a wonderful couple plot twists.  It was just never edited, like, at all.  I read nearly every dialogue box in all the Mercy arcs, but I had to skim the Dr Graves arc.  Just too damn painful. But overall Mercy Island is an introduction to the life of a low level SUPER villain. Who uses their powers to kill scores of individuals who get in the way of the evil schemes that need to be accomplished. The sinister organizations, the mad scientists, the crazy loyal villains, the crazy independent villains.  The weird and alien enemy groups. The corrupt cops. Such a grim little tableau.

I have bid adieu to Mercy now and am moving on to Port Oakes. Mr Bocor, the Radio, doing some odd 'work' for the Family.  Good times to be had there. See you in the cities villains.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I appreciate you admitting to the . . . problematic nature of Graves' arc.

Beyond that?

Keep on keeping on, @Snarky.  Redside Bestside.

(and Mercy DOES suck.  Compared to the glory and majesty that is Port Oakes!  I mean, yeah, Oakes could use more Contacts and a Level 8 Strike Force, but it's just such a beautifully-crafted map.  So much character and vibrancy!  (In all seriousness, Mercy Island is great too, but I just prefer Oakes so much more.) )

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

I appreciate you admitting to the . . . problematic nature of Graves' arc.

Beyond that?

Keep on keeping on, @Snarky.  Redside Bestside.

(and Mercy DOES suck.  Compared to the glory and majesty that is Port Oakes!  I mean, yeah, Oakes could use more Contacts and a Level 8 Strike Force, but it's just such a beautifully-crafted map.  So much character and vibrancy!  (In all seriousness, Mercy Island is great too, but I just prefer Oakes so much more.) )

I had always hoped for a lvl 8 SF that kicked off the Coralax in the isles or one that involved the Family. Sigh...one can hope.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

Just now, The_Warpact said:

I had always hoped for a lvl 8 SF that kicked off the Coralax in the isles or one that involved the Family. Sigh...one can hope.

Presumably had the game not been shut down, I bet there would've been a parallel story arc to Shauna Stockwell's arc.  I bet it would've been a Family vs Mooks story since I don't think we ever got a proper resolution to that particular war.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

@Snarky I too have recently started another solo, completionist red side character. For me, it is a Dark/Dark Defender.

Count Nero. He's an out-of-time 1930s and 40s pulp sort of villain with roots in the early days of Arachnos - a story of betrayal by il Recluso himself.

Somehow, Count Nero finds himself in the modern world and he waits for his opening to strike revenge on Lord Recluse. He knows someday he will turn Arachnos against him and usurp his throne.

I just finished the three early Cap contacts this weekend. Then it's on to Ashley McKnight for Origin of Power, and the Invention tutorial at the university. At 15, I'll use Ouroboros to get Fire Wire, and then do the late Cap contacts and Seer Marino and, of course, the third Graves arc.

I've been working at -1, with bosses, to slow XP gain down, but there is also quite a bit of turning it off altogether.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, TraumaTrain said:

@Snarky I too have recently started another solo, completionist red side character. For me, it is a Dark/Dark Defender.

Count Nero. He's an out-of-time 1930s and 40s pulp sort of villain with roots in the early days of Arachnos - a story of betrayal by il Recluso himself.

Somehow, Count Nero finds himself in the modern world and he waits for his opening to strike revenge on Lord Recluse. He knows someday he will turn Arachnos against him and usurp his throne.

I just finished the three early Cap contacts this weekend. Then it's on to Ashley McKnight for Origin of Power, and the Invention tutorial at the university. At 15, I'll use Ouroboros to get Fire Wire, and then do the late Cap contacts and Seer Marino and, of course, the third Graves arc.

I've been working at -1, with bosses, to slow XP gain down, but there is also quite a bit of turning it off altogether.

Nice!   Glad to know there are others that really enjoy the Redside experience.  I’m not sure j could do it on a Fender.  As it is I still want to Brute once in a while.  But overall enjoying the Stalker vibe

I tend to shut exp off.  Then when ready for the next level bump i farm for 5 min and get the 5 levels and re shut off.  Just makes stuff less complicated for me and i can focus on the story arcs.  It is a little longer after 34 but then you only have 3 pushes to go

• Like 1

Hey @Snarky, do you do all the unlockable contacts, too?  I ask because I'm doing an Ouroboros completionist run currently, and I found I needed to take the time to do the miner strike event in Sharkhead to unlock one of the 19-24 contacts, as well as Crimson Revenant a bit later.

And there are a lot of contacts like that redside.  I know that Veluta Lunata used to be one of them: you had to spirit trap some ghosts at Fort Cerberus to unlock her, but apparently not anymore.  Here's a list of the ones that still require badges to unlock:

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Unlockable_Contacts

Anyway, I do my redside completionist runs a little differently: I don't bother to exhaust the contacts; rather, I run all the content through Ouroboros.   But I am a bit of a stickler about having all the souvenirs in the correct order.   Currently I'm doing it with a DP/Nin blaster.

I really wish the unique Ouroboros costume pieces were available in the costume editor.  If they were, I'd have a bevy of proper Menders in my stable, but the approximations I'm currently able to make are unconvincing, so I just have regular vigilantes and rogues who work alongside the Menders. 

Anyway, good luck on your run and tell Veluta I said hello.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Can't kill me, I'm zeroes and ones.

Yes I do the unlocks.  Veluta no longer requires an unlock in PO.  Or if she still does it must be easy. My last run was over the winter and the only unlocks that I remember  were a pain was one in Grandville and one in Nerva.

Arbiter Leary in Nerva requires you to do the Treespec trial first.  I solo'd this last time (on a Dark/Dark Brute) and let an army of temp pets storm the AV tree.

Number 204 in Grandville has a very interesting story.  50 toxic tarantulas to unlock.  Pain in the tookus.    

• Thumbs Up 2

A stalker's a great way to tour the islands.  The first CoH character I really "got" and got into was a redside stalker (back before ATs were available anywhere), and being able to just walk around and look without getting ganked was great.  I'm currently running a solo stalker across redside too, but I'm not being half so completest about it.

• Thumbs Up 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Something something Great Minds.

Something something Thinking Alike.

My "current project" is a solo-only red-side Stalker, too. Goldwing Raven started out in Praetoria, but is currently stabbing her way through the Isles. (She's DualBlade/Energy) 

Red Side is Best Side. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

• 3 weeks later

Update:  the project changed.  And got bigger lol. I had worked about halfway through Port Oakes on the Stalker.   Ery successful but i realized it was not what i wanted.  Not what i planned

soooo. I restarted the project on a Blaster.  Dark/Dark.  Now at the same point basically.  With some differences. I will be “Rogue” for this entire run (with exceptions for Ouro badges)  I will be badging all Blueside story arcs and maps and Task Forces in addition to the normal exhausting every contact Redside of every bit of content.  

sooo. This will take a little longer than normal.  But the journey is the destination after all

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ive been working my way through redsideallthethings, but broke with tradition to go rogue long enough to get bloody hands badge from WWD. Once I get the badge and unlock the contact, I plan to make my living breaking things and stealing money.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, BZRKR said:

And heck, once you've done all of that, flashback your way through Praetoria 🙂

I might do this as soon as it is available in Ouro.  Good idea thanks.  In my mind this has gone i to “how many badges can i get pre 50?” Through content play

You have more patience than I do.  I started out with the intent of doing something similar for at least the redside contacts but didn't even make it through Port Oakes without saying... "Okay, I am sick of being on NoXP.  I will skip... that contact chain over there."  Did the same in Sharkhead and Nerva.  Skipped all of First Ward/Night Ward because I've done them all before.

But if you need another Rogue for anything, shoot Chrome Ninja a tell (or @ZemX).  Chrome is currently level 28 and a Staff/Ninjitsu Stalker on Excelsior.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, ZemX said:

You have more patience than I do.  I started out with the intent of doing something similar for at least the redside contacts but didn't even make it through Port Oakes without saying... "Okay, I am sick of being on NoXP.  I will skip... that contact chain over there."  Did the same in Sharkhead and Nerva.  Skipped all of First Ward/Night Ward because I've done them all before.

But if you need another Rogue for anything, shoot Chrome Ninja a tell (or @ZemX).  Chrome is currently level 28 and a Staff/Ninjitsu Stalker on Excelsior.

I have done this regularly since live on Redside.  Every contact with every mission they offer whether arc or not.  

i have made a handful of starts Blueside.  Made it i to the low twenties tops.  The stories do not appeal to me.  The story arcs and contacts are real hard to figure out Blueside as well

i have done Goldside twice on live.  Switching alignments and doing everything 

Everything depends on how you like to play. I find soloing relaxing and i enjoy completing things. Others enjoy teams levelling and task forces

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Everything depends on how you like to play. I find soloing relaxing and i enjoy completing things. Others enjoy teams levelling and task forces

In my case the problem is the gameplay at low levels just isn't fun for me.  I have few powers, poorly slotted, and (usually) endurance issues.   So I'll go in with the intent of stopping XP and playing all the arcs and then eventually just run out of patience after one too many kill-all slogs.

And that's with all SOs, a few of the good end procs, amplifiers at level 1, P2W goodies.  It just sort of becomes a chore to actually get through the missions in the mid-teens.  Starts to get better around 20.  Is fine by 30.  I will likely have no problem completing all contacts from about level 30 on because the character has started to become fun enough to play it isn't detracting from enjoying the stories.

3 hours ago, ZemX said:

In my case the problem is the gameplay at low levels just isn't fun for me.  I have few powers, poorly slotted, and (usually) endurance issues.   So I'll go in with the intent of stopping XP and playing all the arcs and then eventually just run out of patience after one too many kill-all slogs.

And that's with all SOs, a few of the good end procs, amplifiers at level 1, P2W goodies.  It just sort of becomes a chore to actually get through the missions in the mid-teens.  Starts to get better around 20.  Is fine by 30.  I will likely have no problem completing all contacts from about level 30 on because the character has started to become fun enough to play it isn't detracting from enjoying the stories.

For me the “slog” is Sharkhead.  Once i hit Nerva there is a LOT to do left, but it feels better.  Honestly there is almost no content on Mercy and Port Oakes.  Cap has a decnt amount as does Sharkhead. But not a ton.  Do not forget to run the four DFBs then the four DiBs for buffs until 30. Also remember that you can drop 3 enhancers into Health and 3 into Stamina ( Panacea, Numina, Miracle ) ( perf shift proc, perf shift end, regular end mod ) for tons of End.  Then respec out as you level later.  Your low level build can be stand alone for that time in your career.  Stop exp at 19, respec, do all 15-19 content.  Level to 24 stop exp, reapec, do all 20-24,etc

• Like 2

I realize this is more an redisde gud thread but give em/ea stalker a go. The stun field pairs rather nice with em and energy aura is a strong set for stalkers. There is a toxic hole but unless youre usuing toxic armor its a thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 7/29/2021 at 9:20 PM, Snarky said:

For me the “slog” is Sharkhead.  Once i hit Nerva there is a LOT to do left, but it feels better.  Honestly there is almost no content on Mercy and Port Oakes.  Cap has a decnt amount as does Sharkhead. But not a ton.  Do not forget to run the four DFBs then the four DiBs for buffs until 30. Also remember that you can drop 3 enhancers into Health and 3 into Stamina ( Panacea, Numina, Miracle ) ( perf shift proc, perf shift end, regular end mod ) for tons of End.  Then respec out as you level later.  Your low level build can be stand alone for that time in your career.  Stop exp at 19, respec, do all 15-19 content.  Level to 24 stop exp, reapec, do all 20-24,etc

Okay you convinced me.  I re-rolled Chrome Ninja and worked my way back up doing all arcs.  You were not kidding about Sharkhead.  The combination of that many arcs and the lowish level makes it a total slog.  But I am back at level 28 after having done most of Sharkhead.  I still need to finish Ross and then do Wade and Tarixus.  Might do Buzzsaw but could also save for later.  Nice thing about being a Stalker is blowing through missions in stealth mode (when they aren't defeat-alls or kidnappings anyway).

I did stop over in Atlas to run four DFBs and that helped a lot, especially on the recovery buff.  I was also a little more careful on my attacks.  Took one fewer attack and slotted the rest better.  Slowed me down a little but stayed within the endurance budget without having to add slots to Health/Stamina.  Around 22ish, I started slotting sets.  ATOs and attack sets at least.  Decided not to bother with DiBs.

I did mess up a little bit along the way.  Didn't pay close enough attention to Dr. Graves.  Saw he was 5-19 but didn't check that his three story arcs each had different level ranges.  So I missed that entirely and will have to Ouro it.  Also missed one of Billy Heck's arcs.  But the shorter one.  Other than that.  I think I got everything so far.  Including unlockables.  Ghost Pirates weren't too bad.  Just took a few nights in a row while doing other content to go hunt them around the fort.  And some folks were hitting Scrapyarder on the regular over the weekend, so "Strikebuster" was no problem.

Just finished Leonard again last night.  Love that arc.  "Army of Me" badge!  And yes, I am trying to keep an eye on the level ranges and stop at the upper end of the set of arcs I need to finish.  I missed Billy Heck's second arc because I turned on XP too soon thinking I could still finish his arc.  Worked, but it locked me out of his second arc.  So not doing that again.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, new update time!  (I will be updating these as I finish each level range.) I just finished Port Oakes (and some Cap au Diable.) That finishes off 10-14.  Because of the Going Rogue for DFB I decided this toon will be doing more than my Redside runs normally do.  i will badge all Blue content through Ouro.  I will get all possible Blue badges as available. This means I was able to badge every zone except The Hive and The Abyss.  523 badges at level 14! 711 Reward Merits.  There were some GMs that I normally would not have gotten due to the costume contest. (I got runner up on Excelsior!) 

Plans for 15-19 include the four DiBs for buffs to 30. Cavern of Transcendence and Posi 1 & 2. My general strategy is to do the TFs and Trials as I am slightly over the maximum level.  So no Synapse until I am 24 and doing 20-24 content for example.  I do like an easy run lol.  

Highlight of the 10-14 range was the mission from Dmitri Krylov to kidnap Paragon citizens to be delivered to Vahzilok surgeons.  People say they do not feel like a villain running Redside content.... Do they not actually do this stuff?

Things are going slow this run.  I am badging way more, doing more side content, and generally just bopping around.  Also, a lot of my gaming time is doing SG events.  My SG keeps a full (and fun!) calendar.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

An update for my Dark/Dark Defender Count Nero. Have not played him as much in the last couple weeks. He's currently in the second half of Cap (the 15-19 range). 

I used his Vahzzy citizen kidnap mission to get Shady/Shrouded on all of my toons.

In the meantime, he's also been collecting his day jobs. Last weekend, someone actually ran a red side DFB, so I logged off who I was playing and got the Count his badges there.

• Thumbs Up 1