NO TELLS PLEASE

Nightwatch

It is standard practice (not 100%, but real common) on Excelsior for LFG posts to state "Giant Monster in X, Broadcast in Zone for invite"  This is almost always true for Mother Ship Raids. This is not uncommon for Imperious Task Forces. Incarnate Trials in Ouro... You sensing a pattern?

Oh, also a pattern.  People getting their panties in a bunch because they don't get treated like a "Queen for a Day" when they send a tell deigning to inform someone they might be interested in doing something.

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 8/4/2021 at 3:44 PM, arcane said:

It may be somewhat of a social norm for Hami or MSR, but, in the broader game, sending a tell for a team invite is as normal as it gets. 

I’m not saying I don’t personally broadcast for an invite if I am told to.

But people coming to the forums to cry about other players doing one of the most normal things you can do? I’d rather not play with someone so uptight generally speaking.

Neither crying nor whining.  I put this topic up because it's an opportunity to explain in full why I say No Tells Please.  You're right though arcane to the extent that if you don't want to follow a simple request from someone forming a GM Hunt or similar, you shouldn't try to join.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/4/2021 at 11:32 PM, Dark Dove said:

It feels like I've joined a thousand of your teams throughout the time HC has been up for hunting GM's, and they've all run really smoothly and at a time of day when there aren't a lot of people around, too. Thanks for dealing with all of the people who aren't respectful or feel entitled to have it their way while still running successful leagues and teams, you set them up like a pro and to me you're certainly a fixture that I appreciate on the server I play on. I know it doesn't cancel out you being treated poorly by some but I hope you know that your leadership is appreciated either way by the rest of us.

Thanks @Nightwatch

Of all the Doves, Dark is my very favourite!  TYVM @Dark Dove 🙂

• Like 1

Wow. 

First, I want to applaud the OP and Oklahoman for not sharing who these players were. Must have been tempting to do so. 

Second, as someone who USED to lead iTrials and the occasional MSR...I know exactly what you're going through when this happens. Your tolerance and patience exceed my own, for sure. 

When I see a GM, if my own character can't solo it, and I feel like I need it for a badge, or merits, I'll bring on an alt that can solo it, and let both characters get the merits. Only rarely am I going to take the time to wait for someone who actually wants to finish a mission before I start. The idea that I should wait more than 60 seconds for someone to get in zone simply galls me. There's absolutely no reason why any player from any location can't get to any other zone in 60 seconds, whether they're in a mission or not. Base TP takes 10 seconds. Traveling to the portal necessary shouldn't exceed 10 seconds. It really is that simple. If a player doesn't have base tp, then they can use an ouro portal, pop into talos and use the base portal that's 100 feet away. (or so) For Adamastor, they'd have to use Ouro anyway to get to Echo:DA. 

I get that there are some players that are new - and may not understand how to get somewhere. But, call me irrational, I expect these players to be literate and follow instructions once I relay how to get there. 
And I will admit that I get frustrated with players that want to participate, but have no idea what they are doing. They are so clueless, that they don't even realize that they have no idea what they are doing. Level 3 scrapper wants to come to Croatoa to help with Eochai -- but doesn't know how to get to Croatoa. What am I supposed to do with that? Laugh? Cry? 

I simply told they they weren't tall enough to ride this ride, and moved on without them. But make no mistake - I did reply. I never ignore anyone who sends me a tell, unless that tell is really obscene. I might not be perfectly nice, but I do reply. It's a pet peeve when folks are "lfm", and don't share that they have filled up, leaving me hanging wondering when my invite is coming. If you are recruiting for a tf (not zone event like MSR or a GM) or a mission team, and I send you a tell (because the recruiting message says, LFM, PST) if I don't get a reply, you get one-starred. It's a simple matter to scroll up and click to reply if you get a lot of tells. That may be irrational to insist on that, so, sue me. It's my peeve. I'll keep it. 

But I digress. The reason why you get tells may be because the person sending the tell has never led anything before. They have no idea that there are issues with moving folks around in a league if someone is out of zone. They just don't understand. This game that many of us have played for so long, we understand these things, but a number of newer players genuinely have no idea. They figure a tell is a better way! And though they may gloss over your recruiting message, they're really not reading it. Heck, with all the damned abbreviations we use, it's a wonder any of us can understand what we read in the first place.  Further, I suspect that a small percentage of these people are sending you a tell specifically because you asked for "no tells". You're not doing things the way they would, so you're getting trolled a bit. (that's what I think, anyway. I could be wrong) 

• Thumbs Up 4

Thanks to all who run Trials and Raids. 

If you organize them, you get to set the rules.  I have occasionally disagreed with a rule or strategy but I followed it anyway and sent tells to the leader after the event explaining why I think they would be better served doing it differently.  On a few rare occasions I have quit before the event started because I felt the leader was either rude or not knowledgeable enough to lead that particular event.

Most players do not like forming teams, even less like forming TFs, trials, raids, or I-trials.  The more complex or difficult the events are the less people will want to lead it.  So I think it is safe to say that most players have not lead a large league and don't realize how finicky the league system can be and the amount of text that is thrown at a league leader before and during the trial while they are also trying to give instructions to make sure everyone succeeds and gets their rewards.

I don't always join the big league events.  Certainly not as often as I once used to.  I mainly solo and run some TFs for badges and merits.  But whenever I do join leagues, I have been impressed by the folks that lead them -- very professional, great communication.  Excelsior has a fantastic group of people willing to lead these and luckily we have had many.  It takes effort to do them and burnout is real.

So cut your league leaders a little slack and follow their lead. . . or form your own with your rules.  I'm sure that if you form your own you'll want people to follow your instructions.

Edited by Bionic_Flea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, Ukase said:

When I see a GM, if my own character can't solo it, and I feel like I need it for a badge, or merits, I'll bring on an alt that can solo it, and let both characters get the merits. Only rarely am I going to take the time to wait for someone who actually wants to finish a mission before I start. The idea that I should wait more than 60 seconds for someone to get in zone simply galls me. There's absolutely no reason why any player from any location can't get to any other zone in 60 seconds, whether they're in a mission or not. Base TP takes 10 seconds. Traveling to the portal necessary shouldn't exceed 10 seconds. It really is that simple. If a player doesn't have base tp, then they can use an ouro portal, pop into talos and use the base portal that's 100 feet away. (or so) For Adamastor, they'd have to use Ouro anyway to get to Echo:DA. 

Setting aside for a moment your extreme impatience and a host of other factors you're ignoring in your estimates and calculations, I'll point out that you're not factoring in screen load times.  If I have to transfer between 1-2 zones, I can easily lose a minute or so just in loading each zone.

Edited by Blackbird71
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

So I think it is safe to say that most players have not lead a large league and don't realize how finicky the league system can be and the amount of text that is thrown at a league leader before and during the trial while they are also trying to give instructions to make sure everyone succeeds and gets their rewards.

Very true.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

16 hours ago, Blackbird71 said:

Setting aside for a moment your extreme impatience and a host of other factors you're ignoring in your estimates and calculations, I'll point out that you're not factoring in screen load times.  If I have to transfer between 1-2 zones, I can easily lose a minute or so just in loading each zone.

This game is ancient. The only reason that comes to mind for such a long load time is you're playing on the same computer you used back in the day of flip phones. It's never taken me more than 5-10 seconds to load. If it takes you that long - I couldn't deal with that if I were you. I wouldn't even play this game if I had that long between page loads. 

While I wouldn't expect anyone to upgrade their system to play a game, I wouldn't expect anyone to wait more than a minute for me to be where I needed to be. There's no reason why anyone should have to wait more than a minute. Time is more precious than money. I can accumulate wealth, but when the time has elapsed, it's gone forever. I will not normally wait more than a minute, because 90% of the players have a system that can get them there. If you aren't on such a system -  I feel badly for you. Hope you can upgrade when the GPUs go back to a more normalized price. 

I have teamed with people with long load times. It ain't fun. If I am polite, the very mission that would take a minute to complete, it now takes 2 minutes for the guy with the slow load times to zone in, then they have to travel to the mission - and what's worse, half the time they get disconnected because the map server expected them to be in one place when they were in another. This is more often than not due to a bottleneck on their side, not the game. Their ISP may put a throttle on uploads or downloads, their cache or memory may be too small. Could be anything, really. But I do know when I teamed with this one dude with long page load times, the 2 Minute Cavern of Transcendence turned into a 7 minute cavern of transcendence. And when you're going for partner badge, that's 5 minutes wasted each time! I won't put up with that, unless you're an in-game friend that I've made. And even then, I'll beg off, because any friend of mine would know I lack the patience. 

• Thumbs Down 2

5 minutes ago, Ukase said:

This game is ancient. The only reason that comes to mind for such a long load time is you're playing on the same computer you used back in the day of flip phones. It's never taken me more than 5-10 seconds to load. If it takes you that long - I couldn't deal with that if I were you. I wouldn't even play this game if I had that long between page loads. 

While I wouldn't expect anyone to upgrade their system to play a game, I wouldn't expect anyone to wait more than a minute for me to be where I needed to be. There's no reason why anyone should have to wait more than a minute. Time is more precious than money. I can accumulate wealth, but when the time has elapsed, it's gone forever. I will not normally wait more than a minute, because 90% of the players have a system that can get them there. If you aren't on such a system -  I feel badly for you. Hope you can upgrade when the GPUs go back to a more normalized price. 

I have teamed with people with long load times. It ain't fun. If I am polite, the very mission that would take a minute to complete, it now takes 2 minutes for the guy with the slow load times to zone in, then they have to travel to the mission - and what's worse, half the time they get disconnected because the map server expected them to be in one place when they were in another. This is more often than not due to a bottleneck on their side, not the game. Their ISP may put a throttle on uploads or downloads, their cache or memory may be too small. Could be anything, really. But I do know when I teamed with this one dude with long page load times, the 2 Minute Cavern of Transcendence turned into a 7 minute cavern of transcendence. And when you're going for partner badge, that's 5 minutes wasted each time! I won't put up with that, unless you're an in-game friend that I've made. And even then, I'll beg off, because any friend of mine would know I lack the patience. 

I honestly can't say why it takes so long to load; my system can handle plenty of other more recent and (theoretically) more demanding games, but it does just the same.  Sometimes it loads faster, sometimes it hangs and crashes.  Usually it's somewhere in between.  

But I do think you're putting a rather harsh and arbitrary limit of 60 seconds on people for things that may be beyond their control.  I realize time is precious, but seriously, we're talking about a couple of minutes here; have a little patience.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blackbird71 said:

I honestly can't say why it takes so long to load; my system can handle plenty of other more recent and (theoretically) more demanding games, but it does just the same.  Sometimes it loads faster, sometimes it hangs and crashes.  Usually it's somewhere in between.  

But I do think you're putting a rather harsh and arbitrary limit of 60 seconds on people for things that may be beyond their control.  I realize time is precious, but seriously, we're talking about a couple of minutes here; have a little patience.

I can only say I will try. And have been able to control myself to a small degree. Case in point - Patron arc, the last mission. I do wait for people to see Null and switch alignments. But I don't appreciate waiting. When I say 60 seconds, I want to be clear - I don't have a stop watch and cut people off at 1 minute. It's likely a longer time. I'm just going off of perception. 

10 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

And apparently I'm not a "polite human beaning".

I'm not polite. I'm not technically human anymore. I'm not even going to offer an opinion on Beaning.  Maybe I will make this glorious list....

Can we please get badges for how many global ignores we have?

Edited by Snarky

On 8/8/2021 at 10:15 AM, Ukase said:

Second, as someone who USED to lead iTrials and the occasional MSR...I know exactly what you're going through when this happens. Your tolerance and patience exceed my own, for sure. 

When you used to organize the Underground itrial your rule was not to run ahead of your tank when it was the bomb part.  You had noticed my stalker running ahead to kill the bombs while everyone else lagged behind with the prior groups.  I was doing so because I knew I could spare any mistakes of anyone unfamiliar of the itrial tripping ahead of your tank and activating one of those and not killing it in time, but I didn't engage that last hallway because I knew I'd need more hands. 

You followed behind, watched me kill the bombs with 5s to spare and decided to not kick me, in doing so you kept friendly with someone that could get everyone you knew easy badges on the TPN which are quite difficult to get.  

I think this topic all boils down to patience, you never know what kind of person you'll meet, it is just a video game after all.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/9/2021 at 9:07 PM, Ghost said:

And they say the younger generation is impatient, and has short attention spans LOL

I can't speak for other older folks - but we have less time, so it's more precious! 

Jerry Seinfeld once had a bit where he felt like speed limits should be based on age. The older you are, the faster you should be allowed to go, because you have less time to get there. We don't get to live forever. Some of you have page load times that extend beyond my life-span. 

• Haha 5

• 2 weeks later

Today's gem on Reunion ...

[Tell] Ice Sculptor: why no tells? 
[Tell] -->Ice Sculptor: search the forums for "NO TELLS PLEASE" please.
[Tell] Ice Sculptor: ok fuck you

CoH has a great community mostly.  Then there are guys like this. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Just tells me I don't want to bother teaming with you at all. Thanks for sorting yourself out for those of us who treat other players like actual people. 
Today you broadcasted LFG for Adamastor, and I asked you why no tells, and you told me to go read a bloody forum post. Ignored happily. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Today's gem on Reunion ...

[Tell] Ice Sculptor: why no tells? 
[Tell] -->Ice Sculptor: search the forums for "NO TELLS PLEASE" please.
[Tell] Ice Sculptor: ok fuck you

CoH has a great community mostly.  Then there are guys like this. 

Yep that was me, and I stand by it. I'm also one of the people who frequently opens up farms to anyone, never turns anyone away looking for teams, and generally has a great global list full of great players that I enjoy sharing the game with. 

The problem isn't me, it's you.

Edited by BazookaTwo
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 6