Tony Stark? Bruce Wayne? Pff. Small fry.

Aeroprism

Someone in this topic was mentioning a scenario where a bomb went off in IP Port and among other consequences: MILLIONS OF INF WORTH OF DANAGE!!

My first thought? 

Millions?

Really?

@Yomo Kimyata can fix this without even blinking.  Like, "I heard you lost a city zone. Here's the money for a new one. Bye."

(In all fairness, most of ebil marketers could afford Independence Port without too much effort)

9 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

I mean... nobody has any currency in this game. They have influence, infamy, or information. Have you ever tried to buy a donut with just your own renown? 

Lots and lots of people get lots and lots of things just because of who they are.  Bribes are a good example.

But yeah that was the joke. It made me smile when "millions of inf in damage" was mentioned.  Influence is a clever currency for a superhero game but that the fact that you buy things with it always sounds silly to me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

I mean... nobody has any currency in this game. They have influence, infamy, or information. Have you ever tried to buy a donut with just your own renown? 

Buy?  They won't even let me in to Drenched Donuts!  Every time I even try the door, I'm told that I cannot enter!

• Haha 3

On 8/15/2021 at 5:34 AM, Glacier Peak said:

Which makes it pretty cynical the most renowned heroes earned their fame on the marketplace. Capitalism, ho!

• Like 1

Looking strictly at the fictional Earth moneymakers... something tells me if we assumed the fictional black market value of vibranium were what it is indicated in the comics, Black Panther, aka T'Challa would be by far the wealthiest superhero I can think of across either Marvel or DC.For villain, I'd have to say DC's Vandal Savage.

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

2 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Looking strictly at the fictional Earth moneymakers... something tells me if we assumed the fictional black market value of vibranium were what it is indicated in the comics, Black Panther, aka T'Challa would be by far the wealthiest superhero I can think of across either Marvel or DC.For villain, I'd have to say DC's Vandal Savage.

I don't remember for sure, but I think canonically T'Challa IS the wealthiest superhero in Marvel comics.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wavicle said:

I don't remember for sure, but I think canonically T'Challa IS the wealthiest superhero in Marvel comics.

Quite possibly.  He does have the wealth of an entire country at his disposal, along with the largest supply of vibranium in the world.  Doctor Doom would be a contender, as well, being the ruler of his own country.  Then you have Tony Stark, Reed Richards, etc.  Not really sure if Reed monetizes his inventions the way Tony does, though.  It's been a good long while since I read any fantastic four comics.  🤔

1 hour ago, Triumphant said:

Quite possibly.  He does have the wealth of an entire country at his disposal, along with the largest supply of vibranium in the world.  Doctor Doom would be a contender, as well, being the ruler of his own country.  Then you have Tony Stark, Reed Richards, etc.  Not really sure if Reed monetizes his inventions the way Tony does, though.  It's been a good long while since I read any fantastic four comics.  🤔

Yeah, on the DC side, I was honestly surprised how Bruce Wayne really isn't that wealthy financially speaking across many writers and titles. He owns a controlling share in a company that sells weapons / pharma / technology / financial / really anything the writer thinks is important to the story. And he has long term generational wealth. So the impression is that he can afford anything, but there's a point where fictional rich characters are able to do things normal rich people couldn't - buy an island, create an army of mercenaries or robots, donate or provide the majority of funding to a charity that is world renowned, pay your way to the presidency, be called a philanthropist playboy bachelor billionaire, build spaceships, etc.

Edited by Glacier Peak

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

• 2 weeks later
On 8/19/2021 at 6:58 PM, Wavicle said:

"Canonically" per a Forbes (?, Money?) listicle. I've seen it attributed to Time, but I'm relatively certain it was a magazine focused on finance.

1 hour ago, tidge said:

"Canonically" per a Forbes (?, Money?) listicle. I've seen it attributed to Time, but I'm relatively certain it was a magazine focused on finance.

Worth a read: 

https://www.quora.com/How-is-TChalla-a-trillionaire-since-Wakanda-was-widely-recognised-as-one-of-the-poorest-nations-on-Earth-before-he-revealed-the-truth-making-whatever-currency-they-had-worthless-when-converted-to-international

Pocket D Zone Tour

On 8/20/2021 at 12:27 AM, Glacier Peak said:

fictional rich characters are able to do things normal rich people couldn't -

Um...

buy an island

David Copperfield.

create an army of mercenaries or robots

Igor Kolomoisky.

be called a philanthropist playboy bachelor billionaire

Oprah Winfrey.

build spaceships

John Carmack.

There are more examples in all of those categories.  Piles of money make people behave like comic book characters.  Or caricatures of comic book characters.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

24 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Um...

David Copperfield.

Igor Kolomoisky.

Oprah Winfrey.

John Carmack.

There are more examples in all of those categories.  Piles of money make people behave like comic book characters.  Or caricatures of comic book characters.

https://tenor.com/view/batman-rich-superpower-gif-18205253

Edited by Glacier Peak

Pocket D Zone Tour

18 hours ago, tidge said:

I remember it, vaguely, as something that was written on the back of a Marvel Black Panther trading card.