More incentive for badge collection

cotesan

There's this cool feature @cotesan where you can find a character's "info" and look at their badges. It's also fun to select one as a title for all to see. 

Do you also ask Sony and Microsoft to deduct from your game prices and subscription fees for hitting achievements? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

4 hours ago, cotesan said:

Thank you for not being 5 years old with your reply and explanation. 
I absolutely do not mean to change what is working today and what has been status quo. It’s more about just having some payoff, if not additional unlockable costume pieces perhaphs extra enhancement slots, colored text, having temp powers to perm, added pets..some kind of true incentive to encourage more teaming and community, not to mention recognition for the dedication to content and character development. Thank you again for your reply. 

What server are you on?  Are you finding it difficult to find others to team up with?  It's all content whether you're running TFs, story arcs, AE or just street sweeping.  it might not be how you like to play, but it doesn't make others wrong.  and no offense, calling others who replied to your post 5 year olds isn't encouraging community either.  Hard no to more enhancement slots too.  

• Thanks 2

Another suggestion is

1 hour ago, Aurora_Girl said:

There's this cool feature @cotesan where you can find a character's "info" and look at their badges. It's also fun to select one as a title for all to see. 

Do you also ask Sony and Microsoft to deduct from your game prices and subscription fees for hitting achievements? 

Thank you for that info. You have proven my point. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ZacKing said:

What server are you on?  Are you finding it difficult to find others to team up with?  It's all content whether you're running TFs, story arcs, AE or just street sweeping.  it might not be how you like to play, but it doesn't make others wrong.  and no offense, calling others who replied to your post 5 year olds isn't encouraging community either.  Hard no to more enhancement slots too.  

Have you actually read the replies?

whether or not you agree is not something I’m concerned with. I am posting in a suggestion forum. 

Edited by cotesan

1 minute ago, cotesan said:

Have yoy actually read the replies?

whether or not you agree is not something I’m concerned with. I am posting in a suggestion forum. 

Yeah I have.  the people replying to your post are posting in a suggestion forum too.  No one like to hear their idea isn't good, I get it.  Yours pretty much goes against what the folks here want to do.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the inspiration to add a second suggestion for the mods here. 
Can we have more help with the troll situation here? It will keep players from wanting to add potentially valuable ideas and share with the community. 
I am now unsubscribing. 

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, cotesan said:

Can we have more help with the troll situation here? It will keep players from wanting to add potentially valuable ideas and share with the community. 
I am now unsubscribing. 

The fact is that suggestions work both ways - players can provide feedback on your suggestion, its a forum specifically designed for that purpose. I've seen posters give their input just as you've provided your own suggestion and responses to others input. I disagree with this opinion that because players disagree with an idea (whether it is valuable is entirely subjective) that they are trolling. Perhaps it is your first experience with using internet forums, or perhaps not, but this community is welcoming and helpful when given the chance. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

1 hour ago, cotesan said:

I am now unsubscribing. 

Disagreement =/= trolling. The devs here will only tell you the same.

That being said, even by my own brash standards, Ms Aurora is being a tad edgelord here 🙂

Edited by arcane
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh, I'm much worse, Arcane...

I dared to suggest that if getting the badge itself wasn't really All That for him that maybe he wasn't really inclined towards badging. 

Truly the pointed trolling of a bratty five year-old. 😝

• Haha 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

3 hours ago, cotesan said:

I am now unsubscribing. 

Please allow me to help you.

Here's a thread posted by one of the GMs. It's essentially the rules for the Suggestions & Feedback subforum. Let me quote his post: "If something isn't fun, we do want to hear about it.  If others disagree, that's fine, too."

Ok, did you catch that? That's a GM saying that the rules allow us to disagree with your suggestion. If you still don't believe me then please report my post and we'll see what happens. Don't worry, I'm used to it.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

3 hours ago, arcane said:

Disagreement =/= trolling. The devs here will only tell you the same.

That being said, even by my own brash standards, Ms Aurora is being a tad edgelord here 🙂

Well. I *tried* to be gentle with the first post, and I knooooow you're not supposed to feed them but by golly they look so withered how can I help myself?

• Like 1

Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

2 minutes ago, Gerswin said:

Badge hunting is now and will always be the least respected form of epeen. 

Not sure if troll. 

19 minutes ago, Cirque said:

The only problem with badges is that there aren't more badges. 

Caaaaaaan confirm. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Lead Game Master
23 minutes ago, Cirque said:

The only problem with badges is that there aren't more badges. 

We JUST gave you one more! It brought the total to a nice even number and everything! Man, people are so ungrateful... =P

But yeah, there should be a few more in store with the upcoming page, so stay tuned!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

1 hour ago, GM Impervium said:

We JUST gave you one more! It brought the total to a nice even number and everything! Man, people are so ungrateful... =P

But yeah, there should be a few more in store with the upcoming page, so stay tuned!

#2000OrBust

Badges already have a "look at me, I got a badge" reward; set your badge title to that badge, bang, done.  No need to hide anything cosmetic behind badge gates.

All the cool kids used to wear Strong and Pretty, but these day's I'm too old to know any cool kids. 🍻

• Thumbs Up 3

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

I have no say about the badges.. 

But there are some people that live on these forums and I believe mainly the suggestion section, ( as this is the only section in which someone can have any form of intense debate, on a regular basis) whom barely play the game but for them the forums is the game. They talk as if they were GMS and Developers for Homecoming. They shoot down ideas with made up facts statics and numbers on what the Developers think and feel.  

I think that doesn't help out either. 

Would be nice if GM's would handle that as well once in a while. I surely haven't seen it before. 

Further you can shoot down an idea without being inflammatory. 
Yea the OP did mention farming/Power Leveling.. But we know getting to 50 via an AE Farm mission and then running around and getting all the badges makes no difference when compared to leveling and getting badges as you go. 

But would it have killed anyone to just say basically I have not clue what Power Leveling comment means but let me address the main concern.. Which some did later down the line.  But it was mixed in with all the other nonsense on both ends and it was lost. The lines were drawn in the sand already. Again I know because I have been there as well. 

Another inflammatory type of thing is when for example someone post that giant JRanger gif.  Again even when I see it on someone else's post it annoys me. I almost feel like no matter if the idea is bad I want to support it just to go against that particular poster.  Yea, its the internet.. Yea its the forums on the internet. For me posting some GIF without an ounce of constructive suggestion pretty much sounds like you not worth my response. 

Finally another personal opinion. 

It would be AWESOME in my eyes if the GMs could give the players in the form of a changing sticky of what is Possible, Impossible, Likely possible, Can be possible with X amount of difficulty and so on.   

Examples 

I would love to have vehicles.. GM responds with the technical answers why vehicles are impossible.

I would love to swing like spider man.. GM responds with the technical answers why that is impossible.

I would love 2 powers to pick from at each level almost like VEATS do. GM responds that is possible, but its an extreme undertaking and we cannot take on extreme more than one extreme undertaking per calendar year due to the amount of work is required from the volunteers. 

This way when the next guy comes along.. A player can say you didn't see the sticky.. here is the link on top.. They said it was impossible. 

Thread is requested to be closed and it gets closed..

I mean seriously why have 4 pages about something that can never be done for whatever the reason. Even if it is a great idea and its 4 pages of nothing but love, joy and agreement.  I wouldn't want someone to waste their time and spin there wheels on something that just can't be done.  

But that wouldn't happen either if players had some insight on what can and cannot be done, maybe in the form of sticky.

And another thread where a GM can say players, we have this as our top 10 list..  Here are 10 threads for each.. GO... Brain storm.. Attack.. Kills us with ideas on this topic.. 

As an example I read in one of these threads that Mastermind pet customization is one of the highest sought after request..  Okay.. What is 9,8.7,6,5,4,3,2,1 ?

Post it in game when players log in .. If you don't go the forums please do.. We listed the top 10 ideas we are considering implementing at one point.. Please review give your ideas and suggestions to make it better..  

I've read some really great ideas on powersets and I have really was impressed on players in the thread bounced ideas around with some game numbers and power set comparison. 

You have this big player base, I have no idea why you don't utilize them. 

You raise some interesting points of discussion, @plainguy, but it is rather tangential to this thread's original topic.

May I direct you to this one from a while ago?  https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/17732-community-project-cleaning-up-the-suggestions-and-feedback-board/

I'll cop to not having followed through with it, and for that I'm sorry.  I have a bad habit of that.  Perhaps some renewed interest in the project could be constructive for the community.

Back to the original topic here:

I think a substantial issue with additional incentivization of more Badges exists in the form that many Badges are poorly implemented.  They effectively necessitate AFK collection methods due to their extreme criteria.  Rewarding the likes of 60 Hours spent Held/Stunned/Slept could be cheeky fun, but given how that Badge is obtained, it's probably not the ideal subject for linked rewards.
If any Badges were to be further incentivized, I would suggest focusing on Badges with sensible conditions.  And probably those that promote prosocial behaviour from players, although the validity of soloing shouldn't be dismissed either.

1 hour ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

You raise some interesting points of discussion, @plainguy

Back to the original topic here:

I think a substantial issue with additional incentivization of more Badges exists in the form that many Badges are poorly implemented.  They effectively necessitate AFK collection methods due to their extreme criteria.  Rewarding the likes of 60 Hours spent Held/Stunned/Slept could be cheeky fun, but given how that Badge is obtained, it's probably not the ideal subject for linked rewards.

If any Badges were to be further incentivized, I would suggest focusing on Badges with sensible conditions.  And probably those that promote prosocial behaviour from players, although the validity of soloing shouldn't be dismissed either.

Those "many badges" you refer to in your post weren't the doing of the HC Team. That was during a time when making players grind content equaled more money for the developers. Whatsmore, HC has rolled back nearly every grindy badge that used to be ridiculous to snag on live. So I think it's disingenuous to apply that logic to the current badge meta. 

The focus that you suggested is how the HC Team tackles badge introductions. These prerequisites for badges to be awarded aren't pulled out of thin air or tied to any inclination for grinding for the sake of grinding. 

Also, just being nitpicky, but the 60 hours requirement you're referring to is not correct at all. You can get ALL SIX Mez badges in around 23 hours total. 

Edited by Glacier Peak
23 hours or less

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

I don't know if the developers here do what I used to do when I was developing for a different game.

I'd read the forums and see what people were talking about and even if something was technically not possible, or some discussion went off in a different direction, I could get an idea of what might be a neat thing to put into the game.

• Thumbs Up 1