New Marvel MMO by DCUO dev

starro

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

16 minutes ago, SuperPlyx said:

If memory serves Jack Emmert was involved when Marvel tried to make a MMO years ago. Isn't that the game that became Champions? Odd they would go back to him.

That's about how I remember it.  There's a tiny bit about it in the Lore AMA, but not much. 

There's also an interesting bit about world design philosophy in question 335.  CoH was meant to make players feel like it was their world (and I think it's succeeded wildly), whereas it's clear that DCUO is DC's world (emphasis on the official DC characters) and I suspect a Marvel MMO might be similar.  I played Marvel Heroes for a while during the Existential Shutdown Crisis, and I see a Marvel MMO looking like a cross between Marvel Heroes and Marvel's Avengers video game.

My main concern is that there doesn't seem to be the drive to allow players to make original characters anymore.  I imagine that they'd probably have you play existing characters, perhaps recolored or in alternate outfits, to distinguish your Captain America from everyone else's...

8 hours ago, biostem said:

My main concern is that there doesn't seem to be the drive to allow players to make original characters anymore.  I imagine that they'd probably have you play existing characters, perhaps recolored or in alternate outfits, to distinguish your Captain America from everyone else's...

Of course they could go with the classic.

You can pick and play any Marvel character (if you pay to unlock it), but you can't see anyone else playing the same character.

Also any player can only see the nearest player that playing any character that they aren't playing, and all other players playing that character can't be seen.

You can't invite any duplicate characters to your team, but once you do invite a character to your team that is the only version of that character that you can see.

It would be interesting to see which character couldn't find a team because there are too many duplicates.

it would also be interesting to see what the standard team turned out to be. (I'm assuming plenty of Hulk, Thor, Spiderman, Captain America and a handful of X-men to go around) 

Now rotate which version/costume of the character is "unlocked" say for each 3 month period and then make the player buy (perma-rent) the version/costume of the quarter if they want to keep playing that character(s).

Heck, why not make the player pay for villains to fight. Yep. Pay for villains to fight and then when you make a team things happen randomly based on what villains people on the team have unlocked. Well, semi-randomly. Random pick of villain or villian group combos and have prescripted events that go on in regards to those villains. Do they do something in the open world you have to stop? Do they come in attack you? Or do they simply try to kill off your NPC loved-ones!?!

Wait! There is an attack located in [insert zone name here]!

if you or perhaps someone on your team hasn't paid to unlock it, then you or your team gets the option to pay to unlock the zone or you simply lose that encounter.

Now add in movie clips from the movies to eat up time as cutscenes! Make them like 5 or 10 minutes long. 

I'm tired and rambling...sorry...but I'm just seeing some kind of P2W fanboy of the year game if it doesn't take the same path as DCUO (which is still pretty much focused on how much cash it can drain from it's player-base through microtransactions)

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 11/28/2021 at 9:21 AM, FrauleinMental said:

That's about how I remember it.  There's a tiny bit about it in the Lore AMA, but not much. 

There's also an interesting bit about world design philosophy in question 335.  CoH was meant to make players feel like it was their world (and I think it's succeeded wildly), whereas it's clear that DCUO is DC's world (emphasis on the official DC characters) and I suspect a Marvel MMO might be similar.  I played Marvel Heroes for a while during the Existential Shutdown Crisis, and I see a Marvel MMO looking like a cross between Marvel Heroes and Marvel's Avengers video game.

Its DC's world but your character gets to do important/key things in it. As a villain you get to humble Supergirl and Wonder Woman at the same time. As a hero you get to...well, run in mindless terror of the Penguin, "OMG! How is he so dangerous! Bane was a pushover by comparison!!!"...errr, take on top villain and succeed where the heroes cannot.

4 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

Is it my imagination, or is there some sort of weird MMO Renaissance going these days?  I'd have thought that folks would have figured out by now that WoW was an aberration, and that MMOs aren't the cash cows that people though they were back in 2008.

At its maximum WoW brought in $180 million in just monthly subscription fees. I am plenty sure 1% of that would be plenty for a lot of games.

I wish these mmo developers would understand why City of Heroes works where other games fail.

I wish I could just write them a letter explaining it all to them, but I haven't a clue.

I just know it's a fun game to play.

Maybe it's knowing that "My character is Mine, my own, my creation... my Precious."

Some people want to be a copy of their favorite comic book character.

Some people want to dress as catgirls and hang around Rocket P RD-ing(or whatever).

Some people want to min/max until they're bleeding edge DPS and nigh immortal.

Some people want to make a cyborg zombie ninja birdman wielding a concrete block on a stick.

I mostly play to have fun, and I've never done that catgirl thing(I swear. You can't prove nuthin!).

Maybe if they let us have the best of both worlds where we could both play their copyrighted characters

and still make our own unique characters who assist those guys and play through their storylines?

What, me worry?

5 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

At its maximum WoW brought in $180 million in just monthly subscription fees. I am plenty sure 1% of that would be plenty for a lot of games.

Sure, I agree.  But I don't think that Amazon is throwing MMO darts at the wall for chump change.

(yes, slight exaggeration, but when I first heard about NW and their Middle-Earth MMO, I had to wonder what they thought they were doing)

https://www.dimensionalink.com/careers/view/5634069002

There's a combat design position open..

14 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Multiverse MMO, maybe?

Bingo, someone is seeing the trend and foreshadowing for multiple versions of the same characters. Sprinkle in a cross time element and bam.. unlimited versions.

Realistically, that's not why they hired who they did. This will be design by oversight (essentially commitee / compromise) the result will bear that burden.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

forgot to add:

Matt Miller's project (another Disney property) might be a bit more interesting to some.

Edited by Troo
#spellcheckerfail

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

@Techwright I was trying for a bit cryptic. He's at Galaxy of Heroes. (not new but getting some changes)

"Galaxy of Heroes is set in a cantina in a distant corner of the Star Wars galaxy, where people of varying species compete in simulated holographic battles involving notable figures throughout Star Wars history for fame and fortune."

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 10:26 PM, TheOtherTed said:

Sure, I agree.  But I don't think that Amazon is throwing MMO darts at the wall for chump change.

(yes, slight exaggeration, but when I first heard about NW and their Middle-Earth MMO, I had to wonder what they thought they were doing)

Having read some of the comments about New World, especially on launch day, I'm not sure they do know what they're up to.

Mind you, Bezos' crew can afford to throw rocket-powered lawn darts and see what hits orbit and what explodes messily on the mesa.

23 hours ago, Troo said:

Bingo, someone is seeing the trend and foreshadowing for multiple versions of the same characters. Sprinkle in a cross time element and bam.. unlimited versions.

I'm kinda hoping they'll allow for creativity alongside that. I mean, I'd love to fight alongside Hulk or Captain Carter, but as me, or at least a toon I've come up with myself.

If I was playing the Multiverse card here, I would - and apologies for going full copywriter here...

..."amidst the endless dimensions of the Multiverse: there are some where YOU are the hero... or the villain. What powers would this other you have? What path would they choose? And how would they stand alongside the ranks of Marvel legends? Now you can tell their story in..."

• Thumbs Up 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

yep, recent what ifs have touched on this concept as well.

Edited by Troo

12 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Having read some of the comments about New World, especially on launch day, I'm not sure they do know what they're up to.

I'm wondering if they're starting a "scatter shot" strategy - just throw as many MMO ideas out there as possible, and hope that one takes off.  Maybe they've forgotten that the industry as a whole tried just that in the first decade after WoW's launch, with mixed results at best.

But back on topic, I wish Jack well, but I'm going to assume it's vaporware until it isn't.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later

The Marvel MMOG has been canceled as it was deemed "too risky" by management.  The money allocated for its development will instead be used to beef up Lord of the Rings Online and DC Universe Online.

Remember earlier this month when NetEase announced that Jack Emmert was heading up a new NetEase studio called Jackalope Games, meaning that he was no longer heading up Daybreak’s Dimensional Ink or its inbound unnamed Marvel MMORPG? If you were wondering what that meant for the game itself, then your brain was going to the right place, as apparently EG7 has canceled it, marking at least the second time it’s canceled a Marvel MMO. Instead, the companies will write down assets and redistribute the Marvel money to the company’s other games (LOTRO and DC Universe Online are specifically mentioned) as well as “new game opportunities with our first party, original IPs,” which we’d like to believe means EverQuest 3. It is unclear right now whether layoffs will follow or Marvel staffers will also be diverted to existing Daybreak titles.

This explains this...

Edited by Apparition

Not surprised. Aside from the fact that Marvel are a capricious bunch with licencing, a whole chunk of the tech sector is taking a battering right now share price wise, including the folks I work for (thanks, Elon...)

Share prices shouldn't normally affect a business day to day - in our case, since we're profitable and can pay our own way, more or less. But if you've been borrowing against company equity as security, as many dotcoms do, or you have activist investors, suddenly people look a lot harder at risk, incoming and outgoings. 

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.