Is Singularity more Knockbacky now?

Yomo Kimyata

I've been looking at it from the other side -- opponents that have summoned it (Family Bosses, Longbow bosses).  I've been bounced around through two KB IOs on my Dark Armor tank and through Grounded (9.1 protection, standing still and not in the air) on my Elec Armor scrapper.

Who run Bartertown?

5 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I've been looking at it from the other side -- opponents that have summoned it (Family Bosses, Longbow bosses).  I've been bounced around through two KB IOs on my Dark Armor tank and through Grounded (9.1 protection, standing still and not in the air) on my Elec Armor scrapper.

I just started Roy Cooling's arc this morning, ran into a couple of Family bosses who summoned Singularities and they didn't knock my Ice/Stone brute down.  Level 29, +0/x3, only Rooted providing KB protection.

Are you running at higher difficulty settings, and were Family bosses or foe-summoned Singularity bosses in the list of critters who were tweaked to be more challenging?

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Both regular content.  It is possible that my dark armor guy (+3/x8) had two or more singularities on him, but the scrapper (+2/x3) definitely got knocked down through Grounded while grounded.  Standing still doing nothing, singularity gets summoned, I get knocked down.  I'm not complaining, mind you, but I missed this in the patch notes.

Edited by Yomo Kimyata

Who run Bartertown?

12 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Both regular content.  It is possible that my dark armor guy (+3/x8) had two or more singularities on him, but the scrapper (+2/x3) definitely got knocked down through Grounded while grounded.  Standing still doing nothing, singularity gets summoned, I get knocked down.  I'm not complaining, mind you, but I missed this in the patch notes.

The difficulty adjustments were supposed to be limited to the new SF... but they did add some new critters to certain existing groups, and expand level ranges of critters in other groups, and it's possible that something slipped in without a patch note.  Test at default difficulty, though, just to see what happens.  If you're still knocked around at +0, there's a bug in either the IOs you're using, or Grounded, or possibly both.  Singularity still shows only mag 6.231 KB in Repel (which uses KB, not Repel) in City of Data (and both Family boss versions appears to be numerically identical to the player version, implying that it's the same pet), so a single Singularity shouldn't be doing that with two +KB IOs or Grounded.

But if you're being spiked by two Singularities at once, and they both trigger a Repel activation on the same server tick, mag 12.462 KB will break through IOs and status protection.  The scrapper shouldn't be seeing two Family bosses in a spawn at that difficulty setting, though, unless it's a hostage-guarding spawn (those typically have two bosses) like the ones around Aurora Peña and Noble Savage (those are Council, though, no Singularities.  just an example of two-boss spawns at lower difficulty settings).

Of course, theoretically, it could also be related to the anti-rubber-banding changes they made, if they tweaked how server ticks are processed, but that's unlikely.

Test it some more, please.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

2 hours ago, arcane said:

Its reverse repel pulls things towards it, increasing the chance of things being in its AoE KB aura radius now. I’ve begun giving it a KB->KD since the addition of the vacuum pull effect, which is awesome.

Can't believe nobody said this -- That Sucks!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I suspect it's not Singularity's Repel, which is mag 6.2 kb, but its Lift, which is mag 12.5 ku. 

• Like 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

One of the interesting things about grounded is that it lacks knockback/up resistance.  The other armors like unyielding don’t just have KB protection, they also have +10000% resistance.  It’s this resistance that makes you nearly immune to KB.  

If repel and lift stack a grounded tank will get knocked down, an unyielding tank will not.  It’s not very common for an electric tank to get knocked down, but it is more common for an electric tank to be knocked down than any other tank with KB protection.  

• Like 1

Guardian survivor

It would be easier to show this on video, but I got stuck in between 3 lvl 54 singularities and they bounced me around like a pinball. I wasn't knocked down, but it was like I was hovering around in the air getting pulled between the three of them. Kind of fun, but also kind of nauseating.

screenshot_211211-01-46-24.thumb.jpg.f18a8e2d344c821d0935a29b37e7a8b8.jpg

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, dtjunkie said:

It would be easier to show this on video, but I got stuck in between 3 lvl 54 singularities and they bounced me around like a pinball. I wasn't knocked down, but it was like I was hovering around in the air getting pulled between the three of them. Kind of fun, but also kind of nauseating.

Its their revenge for Force Bolting Hellions (Baseball anyone? ) in Atlas back in the days 🙂 .

• Like 1

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

49 minutes ago, Peacemoon said:

Oh this thread makes me want to revive my Gravity controller from Live 😅

But maybe a dominator? Hmm

I can assure u its fun... unless ur singu pulls half the mob away from the tank, but still hilarious, i have an incarnated Grav/Kin, EBs... pfffff theyre Hold before they know what happens.... Singu is and was always like having a 2nd controller at ur side.. kinda like a permanent dominator modus since u mentioned a dom 🙂 .

• Like 1

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

14 minutes ago, SuggestorK said:

I can assure u its fun... unless ur singu pulls half the mob away from the tank, but still hilarious, i have an incarnated Grav/Kin, EBs... pfffff theyre Hold before they know what happens.... Singu is and was always like having a 2nd controller at ur side.. kinda like a permanent dominator modus since u mentioned a dom 🙂 .

And wormhole looks fun now you can change it into a knockdown. I’ll have to take a look at what concepts I can come up with 😊

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

1 hour ago, Peacemoon said:

Oh this thread makes me want to revive my Gravity controller from Live 😅

But maybe a dominator? Hmm

If you don't mind some sideline quarterbacking:

you'll probably be happier with a Gravity Controller, especially if you're hoping to have a justification to cast Propel, the coolest looking power in the set. The DPA Lift does covers a lot more ground on a normally-damage-starved Controller than a Dom (who has an Assault set), and Controller secondaries make covering your defense/recovering from damage a lot easier. Unless you need it for the knock effect, Propel is usually a worse attack than what you'd get in the Dom's Assault set so sadly usually goes unused.

Lift is good enough to replace some Assault set attacks though, like the ones in Psi Assault, so there are a couple of Dominator combos where it can do okay. Dominators as a whole will also always have okay-ish damage so the character will still function on the Dom. It's just a lot harder to make up for having traded away amazing powers from Kinetics, Storm, Cold, Trick Arrow and so on.

Edited by oedipus_tex

13 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

If you don't mind some sideline quarterbacking:

you'll probably be happier with a Gravity Controller, especially if you're hoping to have a justification to cast Propel, the coolest looking power in the set. The DPA Lift does covers a lot more ground on a normally-damage-starved Controller than a Dom (who has an Assault set), and Controller secondaries make covering your defense/recovering from damage a lot easier. Unless you need it for the knock effect, Propel is usually a worse attack than what you'd get in the Dom's Assault set so sadly usually goes unused.

Lift is good enough to replace some Assault set attacks though, like the ones in Psi Assault, so there are a couple of Dominator combos where it can do okay. Dominators as a whole will also always have okay-ish damage so the character will still function on the Dom. It's just a lot harder to make up for having traded away amazing powers from Kinetics, Storm, Cold, Trick Arrow and so on.

Yeah I figured as much. I will have to have a think, my old controller was Grav/Kin so I’d like to make something a bit different. Maybe with traps or nature. 

Your point about propel on a dominator sounds about right. Be more fun on a controller, plus you have containment damage!

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

My old controller was also called “Kinetic Kat” oh my…. I am so far away from those types of characters now it’s actually painful to remember 🤣🤣

Retired, October 2022.

5 hours ago, SuggestorK said:

Pick up the Teleport Other power if you can, I found that being able to move my SIngularity around and reposition it back nto the middle of groups if it tried wandering off helped that situation A LOT. Enough to make it not-annoying for the melee types. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

On 12/11/2021 at 8:17 AM, Peacemoon said:

Yeah I figured as much. I will have to have a think, my old controller was Grav/Kin so I’d like to make something a bit different. Maybe with traps or nature. 

Your point about propel on a dominator sounds about right. Be more fun on a controller, plus you have containment damage!

Yep. Believe it or not, Propel and Lift with Containment actually do more damage than the Dom version. That's part of why certain combos with Gravity Control do really well. One I'm a huge fan of is Trick Arrow, because you can proc out Ice Arrow for big damage and then cycle it with the Gravity Control Hold for some good numbers for a Controller.