Why is Burn Overpowered?

Glacier Peak

2 hours ago, Troo said:

+1

burn overpowered? I feel like we've been trolled.

if its targeted cap was higher, sure it would be overpowered.

Definitely like the old days when I used to dumpster farm 400 freaks or wolves at a time with my FA/IM Tanker burn with no max target caps while everything was flopping on the ground in the fire was epic and dare I say: Overpowered.

Burn in it's current form especially with burn fear that players need to keep agro on with target caps is not overpowered at all.

• Thumbs Down 1

Burn is not overpowered on tankers.  Fire armor basically makes a tanker an aoe scrapper.  Light defenses but lots of aoe damage.

FA tankers can be built to be as tough as other tankers.  That's because IO's are overpowered.  Almost any build that has ridiculous power gets it from IOs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting points, does anyone have context from the previous legacy devs as to why Burn was the way it was? I do remember it acted differently at launch, it caused Fear on enemies within the patch if I remember correctly?

7 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Interesting points, does anyone have context from the previous legacy devs as to why Burn was the way it was? I do remember it acted differently at launch, it caused Fear on enemies within the patch if I remember correctly?

IIRC, it didn't at launch, and also didn't have a target cap, and nobody had aggro caps. Fear was added to prevent the "taunt the entire map into a dumpster" strat. There was rioting in the streets and they backed off on that and went with aggro/target caps instead. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hew said:

Cough. And (on a tank) huge shadow maul, and huge ToF, but who is counting anyway?

Cuz the massive damage buff just. Wasn't. ENOUGH!!!!!

1 hour ago, Hew said:

I think the problem with burn right now isnt burn... its... well. Theres something about it that is bugged as hell that people are abusing. I will just leave that here.

That's a problem with it but it's just one more bugged power/problem with procs on a huge list of them.

25 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

That's a problem with it but it's just one more bugged power/problem with procs on a huge list of them.

Procs are to blame for a lot of unbalanced outcomes in this game. It's really a shame because at least for a little while the damage meta was tame. Now every attack power is slotted the same, with global recharge abound and @Diantane rippin up the threads to call it lame.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Procs are to blame for a lot of unbalanced outcomes in this game. It's really a shame because at least for a little while the damage meta was tame. Now every attack power is slotted the same, with global recharge abound and @Diantane rippin up the threads to call it lame.

Excepting a few powers like infrigidate, I max out at two with the purple proc and some other proc in the 6th slot since I rarely care about the psi and toxic resistance. I've tried a procmonster build and didn't care for 'em. Granted, I only gave it a real shot with claws.

14 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Excepting a few powers like infrigidate, I max out at two with the purple proc and some other proc in the 6th slot since I rarely care about the psi and toxic resistance. I've tried a procmonster build and didn't care for 'em. Granted, I only gave it a real shot with claws.

Agreed. Infrigidate is a real outlier, perhaps even the best example of how much procs can change a power's risk versus reward formula. 

I'd say Burn has a lot preventing the HC devs from taking a balance pass over it. The proc conundrum is separate though in balance considerations IMO. Then there's potentially instigating a community that has grown accustomed to how it can perform and an actual bug with upfront damage, or multiple pet casting, not quite sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Agreed. Infrigidate is a real outlier, perhaps even the best example of how much procs can change a power's risk versus reward formula. 

I'd say Burn has a lot preventing the HC devs from taking a balance pass over it. The proc conundrum is separate though in balance considerations IMO. Then there's potentially instigating a community that has grown accustomed to how it can perform and an actual bug with upfront damage, or multiple pet casting, not quite sure.

The bug with Burn was fixed on the beta server at some point in late 2019, I believe, but the fix so drastically reduced Burn's performance the fix got reverted and pushed until a later date. I remember doing the math and seeing it was doing something less than 1/4 of its current damage. CPH has already stated Burn's going to get fixed for real this time when the entire set receives a balance pass. I'll miss it on my Blaster though, that's for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

22 hours ago, macskull said:

The bug with Burn was fixed on the beta server at some point in late 2019, I believe, but the fix so drastically reduced Burn's performance the fix got reverted and pushed until a later date. I remember doing the math and seeing it was doing something less than 1/4 of its current damage. CPH has already stated Burn's going to get fixed for real this time when the entire set receives a balance pass. I'll miss it on my Blaster though, that's for sure.

I'm not sure how* it needs fixed as a power itself, but I could see the set being modified to make Burn balanced with the set as a whole. What I am speaking more to is the other things that can be used to make  Burn and pretty much any power behave in a way that isn't balanced by risk versus reward. Or maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture/formula.

Edited by Glacier Peak
Added *

I'll wait and see what the devs would do with the rest of the set, but IMO once Burn is 'fixed' then Fiery Embrace won't be enough to carry Fire Armor.

8 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I hear that in double secret beta they added a taunt aura to Burn.  True story.

WHAT!!?!

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum