Load last 15 minutes of LFG chat on character entry

Oklahoman

As you log in with a new character, automatically load the last 15 minutes worth of stuff from the LFG channel.

Now you know what's going on, what's still recruiting, who that person was who was advertising something you just alted for, etc.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 5

Eh. I don't know about 15 min. 5, maybe. Or have it user-selectable. (15, 10, 5, none.)

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I can get behind this, especially if the timeframe is user-selectable.

Even if it's not, I vaguely remember that it's possible to enable timestamps on chat messages.  Perhaps auto-timestamp any messages that occurred prior to your login?

• Like 1

🤔 I had never thought about something like this...if it's remotely possible and I can choose the duration, I'm 100% down. Way out of the box idea here @Oklahoman!

• Like 2

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

I find if I keep talking eventually I'll say something useful.

• Haha 3

I grabbed all the LFG traffic for 15 minutes starting at noon today on Excelsior, which consisted of 45 messages with a resulting text file size of around 4KB.

My guess, only knowing /thismuch/ about programming in general and absolutely nothing about the code used on the COH servers is that the challenge and processing power needed would be in querying some database and filtering it down to that 4KB file transfer. Maybe it's negligible, I don't have a clue. But as @Greycat suggested, if you had a slider in settings to set this feature anywhere from 0 to 30 minutes you can essentially select your load speed, too. If you want the fastest possible load time, select 0.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Oklahoman said:

I grabbed all the LFG traffic for 15 minutes starting at noon today on Excelsior, which consisted of 45 messages with a resulting text file size of around 4KB.

My guess, only knowing /thismuch/ about programming in general and absolutely nothing about the code used on the COH servers is that the challenge and processing power needed would be in querying some database and filtering it down to that 4KB file transfer. Maybe it's negligible, I don't have a clue. But as @Greycat suggested, if you had a slider in settings to set this feature anywhere from 0 to 30 minutes you can essentially select your load speed, too. If you want the fastest possible load time, select 0.

Yeah, but you're not thinking about the overall load on the server, which would impact everyone, which would make individual settings irrelevant.

22 hours ago, Oklahoman said:

As you log in with a new character, automatically load the last 15 minutes worth of stuff from the LFG channel.

Now you know what's going on, what's still recruiting, who that person was who was advertising something you just alted for, etc.

Push it a bit farther.  Load the hero event notification and villain event notifications as well (dark magenta color?).  I can't tell you how many times this past month I logged in, looking for something to do, only to have a notice go up in 10 minutes that a Nemesis invasion had just ended in a different zone.  I would have immediately gone to an event had I known a notice had gone out earlier.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Push it a bit farther.  Load the hero event notification and villain event notifications as well (dark magenta color?).  I can't tell you how many times this past month I logged in, looking for something to do, only to have a notice go up in 10 minutes that a Nemesis invasion had just ended in a different zone.  I would have immediately gone to an event had I known a notice had gone out earlier.

Love this idea too.

Both suggestions would solve the problem of logging in and watching LFG, hoping someone is still recruiting for something.

There used to be channels in the official Discord server where a bot would post the chat that went out on LFG, General, etc. I know this isn’t exactly what OP is asking for, but perhaps a webpage you could load up to look at recent chat if you’re interested is a better implementation than one that’ll increase the server load from every player regardless of whether they use the feature or not.

I wouldn't mind this idea, but I'd just limit tot something like the last 20 posts, because often the posts are just stuff like "Team full, thanks."  But it's not a terrible idea.

It also reminds me that it's not a bad thing to just pop into the channel and go "45th Stalker looking for blue-side stabbings, hit me up!"

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝