What is the dumbest way the game has confused you?

ninja surprise

I've done most of the stuff in this thread (and, sadly, still do some). My funniest do'h moments were picking teleport as a travel power and spending ages clicking on different zones on the map trying to tp there . . .  and not knowing about respecs initially, rerolling my main ice/ice blaster once I figured out what powers I wanted and worked best for me (yes, I literally had two lvl 50 ice/ice blasters, back to back, my first two 50s in the game!). 

• Like 1

Occasionally I'll click the "Random" button in the CC a couple to a few dozen times if I've not thought of a look in advance.  I've never really gotten ideas from doing so, but it gives me something to look at while I think about a direction to take.

Did this per usual, decided to go with a look, dialed it all into place, and did some street-sweeping/Fast Travel collecting and got 6 levels deep then thought to myself ...

"... where are these bubbles coming from?"

Gave it a thought for a moment, ran off to a trainer and yup - Path Aura from Random Roulette was still there (movement only).  Weirdly, the toon might actually be better with them. 🤣

• Like 2

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

I'll never forget my very first character I made way back on Live when I just did not understand the game's combat mechanics yet at all. My first toon was a Katana/SR scrapper, but somehow I had convinced myself (likely from just not reading power descriptions properly) that BRAWL was my only method of attack at that early level and that my one initial katana attack power was just the button to get my sword out. So I started the game street sweeping random mobs around Galaxy, clicking my Katana attack first while I was out of range to make my character pull out their sword, before then running in and fighting them only using repeated Brawl smacks. I think I actually ended up doing this for a couple levels before realizing what I was doing wrong and holy crap was I glad I had only been soloing and street sweeping at the time so that nobody else saw what a doofus I was.

To my credit at the time, the only other MMO I'd played before CoH was Runescape, so back then I think I had a bit more patience for slow combat and long grinds in an MMO than I ever would have now. So I think back then, I just kinda assumed it was supposed to be that slow with only one wimpy attack at the start.

• Haha 7
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Arctique said:

I'll never forget my very first character I made way back on Live when I just did not understand the game's combat mechanics yet at all. My first toon was a Katana/SR scrapper, but somehow I had convinced myself (likely from just not reading power descriptions properly) that BRAWL was my only method of attack at that early level and that my one initial katana attack power was just the button to get my sword out. So I started the game street sweeping random mobs around Galaxy, clicking my Katana attack first while I was out of range to make my character pull out their sword, before then running in and fighting them only using repeated Brawl smacks. I think I actually ended up doing this for a couple levels before realizing what I was doing wrong and holy crap was I glad I had only been soloing and street sweeping at the time so that nobody else saw what a doofus I was.

To my credit at the time, the only other MMO I'd played before CoH was Runescape, so back then I think I had a bit more patience for slow combat and long grinds in an MMO than I ever would have now. So I think back then, I just kinda assumed it was supposed to be that slow with only one wimpy attack at the start.

there's a reason so many games explain even seemingly extremely basic things to you nowadays. there are legitimately people who've never heard of, say, auto-attack and therefore end up madly clicking whenever they fight anything in their very first mmo.

• Like 2

Turned on rest. Couldn’t figure out why I was kneeling.  I expected to sit/stand…. Oh hey there’s a circle around this power. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

8 minutes ago, Blastit said:

there's a reason so many games explain even seemingly extremely basic things to you nowadays. there are legitimately people who've never heard of, say, auto-attack and therefore end up madly clicking whenever they fight anything in their very first mmo.

Yep. Any game could potentially be the first game a person has ever played, so you've always got to explain the nitty gritty basics just in case. I remember the first time I ever played a game with WASD movement controls, which while second nature to me now, it was the last set of keys I'd have thought to try using for moving a character around in a game. Some things we consider the most basic part of any game, could be pretty unintuitive at first to somebody that's just encountering those basic functions for the first time.

• Like 2

I played Morrowind, ...a lot. Scoured every slope and valley, nook and cranny, ruin and cave of that island. Must have spent 1000 hours lurking about.

Back when I first started playing CoH and came across my first real cave mission, I think it was the Rescue the Fortune Teller mission in Perez Park. I used to leap over puddles of water in the cave maps to avoid being heard by enemies.

It wasn't really something the game did to confuse me, but actions learn in another game that impacted the way I played CoH.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

• 3 weeks later

Back on live with the very first character I made, I completed the first story arc and an npc (at this time, I didn't know what npc stood for) walking down the street said something like, "Hollows put a stop to X." As soon as he said that, I wheeled back around and went up to him to say thanks in local. I must have thanked him, 3, 4 times. He never responded.

A short time later, I saw the same npc again and decided to see if I could click on him. He told me how long I had been on patrol. I thought to myself, "How the hell does he know that?" This time I decided to ask in broadcast, "How the hell do you know how long I've been on patrol?" "Are you a spy?" Someone in broadcast responded, "NPC's don't respond to your questions noob, lolololol." Since I didn't know what NPC stood for, I looked it up. I felt so fracking stupid and embarrassed I logged out immediately and made a new character on a different server (Justice).

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

Not realizing that you can actually be quite a bit further from the mob that you're attacking in melee, than in most other games that I've played.  Took me a while to realize this.  lol

Also, forgetting that I have to reactivate all of my toggles after respawning at my base or the hospital (then dying, after reentering combat, shortly thereafter, because I forget).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Due to an odd quirk of spawns when I was still new to the game, the first five Outcast bosses I saw were Bricks, which had me reading "Lead Brick" as lead the metal, and it was a while before I saw a "Lead Shocker" and realized it was 'lead' as in 'leader'.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, srmalloy said:

Due to an odd quirk of spawns when I was still new to the game, the first five Outcast bosses I saw were Bricks, which had me reading "Lead Brick" as lead the metal, and it was a while before I saw a "Lead Shocker" and realized it was 'lead' as in 'leader'.

Nah. You're right. He's a guy that only zaps lead. 

• 2 weeks later

I was trying to drag a recipe from my recipe window to the auction house so I could sell it, but I just couldn't get it to move over.  After a short bit of frustration, I realized I actually had the vendor window up, as I had sold some random SOs to a vendor, and was trying to drag the recipes from there to the AH, which obviously wouldn't work!  D'oh!

• Haha 1

Back when I was learning the game, I remember fighting Trolls and thinking, "You know, those rocks they throw don't move very fast; I bet I could dodge them."

Spoiler: I could not dodge them. Took me a couple tries to notice that the rocks' arcs curved and/or they would chase me down.

===

My first STF after they let NPCs taunt player characters was tanking a master run. We pulled Black Scorpion and Mako at the same time, and I was trying to get Mako's attention but kept ending up back on Scorpion. Fortunately that team stacked so much defense (three colds, two emps, plus barriers – I was hardcapped with no native defense) that the plan not working as intended was an inconvenience.

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

2 hours ago, ScarySai said:

Does getting hit by a confuse and smashing your healer for a 5k (he was debuffed) energy transfer count?

I'm pretty sure that's required.

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

Way back in 2004, my very first character was an Eng/Eng blaster. This was also my first MMO...

Rather quickly I noticed that most of my powers could send enemies flying away, I thought it was really cool and a useful way to stay alive. 

So I took great pleasure in making sure I knocked any badguy that was in one of my teammates faces away as much as possible. I began playing like a pseudo defender in missions. I'd knock a target away from the scrapper (thinking I was keeping him safe) and quickly tab to another target to do the same. I was frantically trying to knock every bad guy away so my team could damage them from a safe position. Nobody ever said anything to me for weeks and I was never kicked from teams. 

It wasn't until nearly a month later when I decided to try a different AT and rolled up a DM/Regen scrapper that it finally dawned on me what I was doing on my blaster wasn't helping at all. 

Just yesterday I was on my Ice/MA blaster running with a mission team and realized I was confused right as I hit Build Up + Blizzard on a large group my entire team was surrounded by. I quickly hit F7 but naturally nobody on my team knew why. I sat there dazed as I watched my nuke swiftly eating away their health bars. Thankfully most were vet levels and just shrugged it off. 

I make macros for flyposes on all my flyers. Was heading to a mission and my macro wasn't working. Edited it but it looked correct. Still didn't work. Deleted it and made a new one, still didn't work. I had Lightning Field on and apparently the poses don't work if you do... 

Recently got a steampunk character to 50, went to pick an incarnate pet.

Clockwork, of course!

Yeah... Nope!

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)