What is the dumbest way the game has confused you?

ninja surprise

Ever been confused by something in the game where after you figure it out you chuckle in relief that nobody can actually see you?

One that hit me recently was one character's costume wasn't how I designed it. The top was a weird color with a chest emblem I was certain I hadn't picked. Went to the tailor and everything looked right, except it would revert when I left the tailor.

Eventually I realized I had accidentally enabled Supergroup Mode and it was putting the SG logo and colors on me.

What's made you feel silly in retrospect? This is a safe space, your story will not be spread beyond these walls.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

21 minutes ago, Six-Six said:

Tram exit. Dang tram exit. partly the reason why I moved to the Isles.

Lol that's gotten me before. It is always after another mistake where you accidentally clicked the wrong place, and want to just immediately reboard to go to the right location. 

• Thumbs Up 1

When soloing and selecting Mission Transporter, if you haven't selected the mission you're doing so the text is red, not yellow, then the Mission Transporter sends you to the mission at the top of your mission list, and that may not be the one you're on!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

7 hours ago, Luminara said:

Toggles shut off after running one of those damn personal story missions.  I went running headlong into the biggest spawn I could find after completing one.

Yeah.

So, someone had asked for help against Vanessa DeVore. They had cleared the map but couldn't solo her. I fly over on the rocket board, jump into melee, and immediately get mezzed because I hadn't turned my toggles back on after using the Rocket Board. Luckily, the team dropped Vanessa before I had time to get my toggles up. I might have been the only person that noticed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

When I first played the European beta, I didn't know what the little "costume colours linked" box meant. I ticked it, and unticked it, and couldn't see that it made any difference. My character was unchanged. So I thought that supergroup mode was the only way to get more than two colours plus skin tone on your character.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Blastit said:

When I first played the European beta, I didn't know what the little "costume colours linked" box meant. I ticked it, and unticked it, and couldn't see that it made any difference. My character was unchanged. So I thought that supergroup mode was the only way to get more than two colours plus skin tone on your character.

On a related note, I originally didn't know you could uncheck that box during initial character creation and though you had to haul your ass to the tailor before you could use more than two colors across your suit.  This was before you could chance your outfit at trainers and before Atlas had an Icon branch.  At least once did I make the trek from getting off the bus in Atlas to the back corner of Steel just to add more color to my outfit (this was also before they merged the tram lines, so I was coming from the opposite corner of Steel without any travel powers).

• Like 6

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

23 hours ago, Six-Six said:

Tram exit. Dang tram exit. partly the reason why I moved to the Isles.

Oh, man. The times I stood there waiting, wondering what IT was doing wrong.

• Haha 6

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Early on with my first character, a Scrapper, I started experimenting with remapping keys.  I had remapped keys around my move keys moving auto run to the farside of the keyboard to the 'p' key.  Shortly after the team was fighting Pumicites and looking at a particular nasty set of mobs I typed or rather started to "maybe we should p(ull)"  and like something possessed my SR scrapper took off like a shot towards the mob.  Woops.  Remapped that key promptly.

One of my friends on his newly minted first character really couldn't get the attention of this npc in AP.  He tried various chat channels before sending a tell asking about the npc. 

Him:  "Who is this npc in Atlas?  Can't seem to chat or learn about his content?"

Me:  "I don't know.  What does it say over his head?"

Him:  "'AFK', he is just completely unresponsive"

Me:  Umm ... 

Edited by Doomguide2005
  • Haha 7

22 hours ago, Darmian said:

When soloing and selecting Mission Transporter, if you haven't selected the mission you're doing so the text is red, not yellow, then the Mission Transporter sends you to the mission at the top of your mission list, and that may not be the one you're on!

This gets me sometimes, when I talk to a contact and get a new mission but forget to "Select" it and then get teleported to some other mission I forgot I had.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mashing my numpad to punch some goon next to me in the teeth. Let's say a Bonedaddy.

Mashing and mashing and mashing.

Power's not on cooldown. My attack buffs have since run out. He's right here, I need to attack him. I try every power on my bar and nothing...

Until I hit a ranged power. Let's say Throwing Dagger.

Character pivots 8 degrees and tosses the knife.

Current Target: Some Gravedigger 11ft away

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Resident certified baby

When I first started playing the game, a friend of mine was talking shit about another friends of line. This was the first game I have played that had chat bubbles. So when he would send me tells about my other friend, I was paranoid as hell that my other friend would see his chat bubbles. We were all on the same team together, and I thought that if I could see them, so could he. I was scared they were going to end up in to it, having no idea that he couldn't see the chat bubbles because it was in tells. It took me awhile to figure out that nobody seen those bubbles but me, lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/8/2022 at 8:45 PM, ninja surprise said:

Ever been confused by something in the game where after you figure it out you chuckle in relief that nobody can actually see you?

A few dumb things come to mind:

1a) Finishing an Ouro arc, but screwing up the final "call-in" (usually by using one-too-many teleport/ouro/base cooldown) with the contact.

1b) Solo starting a low-level Ouro mission or TF with difficulty cranked WAY up (and having added a debuff), but not realizing until Mission 1.

2) Mapping certain keys (e.g. F1 - F5) to do something specific for one character, and when playing a different character MASHING away all of my inspirations.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I was doing some redside missions on a new character and all the missions were in mercy island, the same zone as the contact.  Then i go to port oakes and it was the same,  all the missions were in port oakes.  Then i go back to mercy for dr graves second arc and there is no mission pointer for the door.  Im clicking all around,  opening and closing windows, talking to the contact again,  running around the zone.   I finally notice the mission was in port oakes,  not mercy island.  I spent 5 minutes trying to find a door on the wrong map.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Only did the tram-exit once. But.

Only did this once, too: played for my first hour or more without realizing what "level up" meant. I was at Ms Liberty for fifteen minutes actually training up to Level 6 or 7, I think. (And wasn't dumb about games... was just having so much wondrous fun running around beating up goons with my two powers I didn't think to think it all through...

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 6

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

11 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Only did this once, too: played for my first hour or more without realizing what "level up" meant. I was at Ms Liberty for fifteen minutes actually training up to Level 6 or 7, I think. (And wasn't dumb about games... was just having so much wondrous fun running around beating up goons with my two powers I didn't think to think it all through...

Literally the ENTIRETY of my life on live.

Sonic/Sonic Defender. Just running around screaming at street thugs until they died, AMAZED by how cool I was and how many spiderman clones there were.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Resident certified baby

My first time playing red-side. I cleared my whole mission and couldn't find the objective. I spent a good 15 minutes running back and forth from the mission entrance to the back room. It finally dawned on me that those big round things in the back room.. those were elevators. 😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Coloden.png

My very first toon, back on Live, around issue 6.  I click Rest that someone had told me about and... cannot get my guy to stop, to unRest.  Can't move him, can't jump, can only spin around in a circle but still on my knee WTF?  To make things worse, at this point someone comes up to me and Local chats "hey, I'm giving out free Inf to lowbies, want some?"  I don't recall if I couldn't reply because I had yet to learn that too, but he hangs around for a good couple of minutes, "what, you wouldn't take free money?" before he leaves.  Can't recall what I did later to unRest, may have logged out. 

I mean, I must have tried clicking Rest again, right?  Right???

Edited by Clave Dark 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

9 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

My very first toon, back on Live, around issue 6.  I click Rest that someone had told me about and... cannot get my guy to stop, to unRest.  Can't move him, can't jump, can only spin around in a circle but still on my knee WTF?  To make things worse, at this point someone comes up to me and Local chats "hey, I'm giving out free Inf to lowbies, want some?"  I don't recall if I couldn't reply because I had yet to learn that too, but he hangs around for a good couple of minutes, "what, you wouldn't take free money?" before he leaves.  Can't recall what I did later to unRest, may have logged out. 

I mean, I must have tried clicking Rest again, right?  Right???

Oh man that reminds me of a time way back in the beginning, I'm running around the Hollows on my lowbie. No idea how chat works. I get myself into a bad situation and one of those Healbots (the real heroes!) was flying around and kept me alive while I finished my hunt or whatever I was doing. They did a local chat telling me good luck, and I hit Enter, typed Thanks!, hit Enter, and the game yelled "You're not on my team!"

I was mortified! I felt like such a jerk and had no idea why the game made me say they weren't on my team!

Eventually I realized I was in Team chat and it had actually said "You're not on a team" and I was the only one who'd seen that.

I've also activated Rest on accident and couldn't figure out why I couldn't do anything.  

22 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

To be fair, lots of games when you level up you automatically get new powers and stuff without having to go to a trainer.  I don't remember if the tutorial tells you to talk to a trainer the first time you level up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Adding an extra zero in the /AH.  Nothing like spending 20,000,000 on a FF +recharge 🙂

...or buying Enhancement Converters, ten at a time, then accidentally buying 10 uniques, because I forgot to change it back to one each...

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

Standing around gathering for a ship raid, with Rebirth destiny on auto for healing badge credit. But I wasn't getting healing badge credit.

Then we move out, and I get to the first pylon and I can't attack it, either.

Oh. I had Afterburner on. (Back when Afterburner made you OAS and could be left on indefinitely.)

--

I also did the train thing.

Also the Day Job Accolade power from Master Architect (Architect + University) is a self-rez that only works in Architect missions. Took me way too long to actually realize the last bit of that.

Aaaand the supergroup colors thing. I had a tank whose hair was supposed to be a dark red, and looked that way in the tailor, but when I was actually playing, her hair looked awfully pink.

Edited by Placta
  • Like 3

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...