Heroes are murderers

The_Warpact

On 1/24/2022 at 2:59 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

They're all duplicates. I don't buy other explanations. Teleportation, unless transiting through another dimension, means disintegration/reintegration.

How about everything else gets disintegrated and reintegrated and it only seems like you moved?  Everything else moved, you just stayed in place.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

5 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

Well .... Yeah.

But you also can't softball us lot an opening like that either. 😉

Is it Hamster Id? 😛

Mastermind 

My favorite AT

Hamsters 🐹 lol

• Haha 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

16 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

Hamsters 🐹 lol

"You Sir have all the ID of a Hamster!" might become my go-to ol'timey'surrealist insult now. 😛

I gathered mastermind from context, but no way I could read that with my ancient, worn-out eyes. Besides, yanking on the proverbial chain was more fun.

• Haha 2

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

I'm just replying to the OP, not the replies because I haven't read them all.

Just because the bad guy I was fighting falls down doesn't mean that bad guy is dead.  Now, my Katana scrapper for example, she's not hitting someone with the flat side of the sword (I saw this in a reply).  That's just... no.  If she were to do that, she'd carry a blunt weapon, not a razor sharp sword.  Are the baddies surviving multiple slashes from her katana?  No, probably not.  Same with my Elec blaster.  If they survive good for them, chances are they probably are not.  My main, a MA/WP scrapper - yes.  The baddies are probably just knocked silly and bent in that odd way (due to early ragdoll physics) but they're probably alive.

But are most heroes murderers in this game?  Probably.  However, murder is often justified depending on who and what the circumstances are.  I'm not justifying it, but that's the way things are.  It's more a reflection of human nature than anything IMO.

• Like 1

Just returning to arch one eyebrow at the fact the "Heroes are murderers" thread is still going strong while the "Villains are sore losers" thread got insta-locked so as not to offend Villains.

DON'T YOU KNOW THAT CODDLING THEM IS WHAT MAKES THEM VILLAINS????

ETA:  Dang it.  What I should have said is "DON'T YOU KNOW THE CODDLING THEM IS WHAT MAKES THEM VILLAINS????  NOW I HAVE TO MURDER THEM!!!!"

Edited by roleki
  • Haha 3

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

4 minutes ago, roleki said:

Just returning to arch one eyebrow at the fact the "Heroes are murderers" thread is still going strong while the "Villains are sore losers" thread got insta-locked so as not to offend Villains.

DON'T YOU KNOW THAT CODDLING THEM IS WHAT MAKES THEM VILLAINS????

Well mine was more tongue in cheek, some lore, and a conversation piece.

So no intent on my behalf, that might not have been the case for others and the GM snipped that.

I don't know, just conjecture on my part.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

On 1/24/2022 at 12:50 PM, The_Warpact said:

But, based on what? You and societies standards or their version of justice. What about some countries that still execute on the smallest infractions according to their law.

Or what about in the past when "justice" was metted out which was usually death for minor things?

I think we are getting into perspective or opinions based on rules by whatever group of people control that area.

Face it justice, the court systems, mental health care all are a joke, the punishment should fit the crime.

Well this went beyond the threat, but still true. But, back on thread a lil. My character’s alignment is unique to them. It just so happens I happen to have slightly more rogues than I do vigilantes. And only what, 3 heroes maybe? Actually, I think 2. And one VILLAIN villain. 

Without trying to sidebar, I hope one day to make a show centered around most of my toons. And murder as a Hero, for the few that will be truly heroic, is a last resort [Foolish as that may be in some cases]. The rest? Well, they don’t try and pretend, it’s just the way life goes.

Honestly? If -I- were given powers, my first thought wouldnt be to be a hero, it’d be to be a Rogue.  Use em for maximum profit!

I do enjoy threads like these. Really peaks my interest/curiosity on what would a society with superpowered folks in it look like? 

• Like 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

On 1/24/2022 at 10:02 AM, Erratic1 said:

I think I have figured it out....

City of Heroes is how we see ourselves. For everyone else it's The Boys.

I view CoH from the lens of Invincible. At least for my characters. Maybe a lil Dresden files too, seeing as most are magic haha

• Thumbs Up 1

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

On 1/25/2022 at 10:24 AM, Sovera said:

People in this thread are too attached to the name of the moves. Go to a level appropriate mob. Hit it with Behead. Did it get beheaded? Did it fall down one shot? No? Then it's the name of a move, not what the move does. [...]

Next you're going to tell me that Laser Beam Eyes can miss a target that I am looking at.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/24/2022 at 9:51 PM, gamingglen said:

wow... TNG technobabble all over again... zzzz   

This here is why I thank whatever entity out there that I never watched, was interested in, or even heard of this TNG growing up. It’s great if they know it, but it only leads to…well this.

Same thing for not caring about LOTR or Star Wars. Or Marvel, or DC. Huh…guess I really did miss all the major points of contention in regards to “nerd” culture 

• Thumbs Up 1

We are a violent species. This is balanced by a capacity for empathy and adaptive cultural mechanisms that make it bad to run around hurting people. 

So instead we have ritualized violence like sports and heroic fantasy narratives where the bad guys get what's coming to them. The bad guys are written that way

so that it is ok for us to relish the experience of watching the hero beat someone to death. Or a sanitized version where the recipient of the beatdown is healed or dragged

off to jail.

More morally ambiguous recent comics call heroism into question and we get varieties of asshole superheroes and antiheroes. I think "are heroes murderers" is the wrong question. The real question is "does narrative moralizing make violent acts good?" That's why I quoted the Tool song Vicarious earlier. We don't want to experience these things ourselves, but watching them or engaging vicariously through a videogame is a major source of entertainment.

You arm a superhero with a giant sword or battleaxe because imagining that kind of devastation is badass. It doesn't matter what it's called or what is shown due to the limitations of the game engine. That or you possibly some strange object fetish.

Edited by battlewraith

38 minutes ago, roleki said:

None taken here, for what that's worth.

Check the tone of the OP in both threads:

One is a discussion of in-game lore, a mission arc detailing the fictional politics of the medi-porter system, and clearly about in-game/character related things that fostered some interesting lore discussion and some side-chat on ST:TNG stuff.

The other is a blatant, reactionary verbal jab towards players (regardless of where the tongue was located) which is made clear by the references to finding teams/rejecting ideas - which are player activities.

Shorter: One is about the Game, the other is about Players.  Don't make me use a cliche. 🙂

• Thanks 2

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

26 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

This here is why I thank whatever entity out there that I never watched, was interested in, or even heard of this TNG growing up. It’s great if they know it, but it only leads to…well this.

Same thing for not caring about LOTR or Star Wars. Or Marvel, or DC. Huh…guess I really did miss all the major points of contention in regards to “nerd” culture 

One almost wonders why you play this game.

Part of the problem is that some people think that killing is always morally wrong. This is clearly not true no matter which deity or moral code you subscribe to. (Yes, there's always an exception to every rule. Blah, blah, blah.)

The real question is: "When is it justified?" That's where a lot of people disagree. For some people their line is closer to Superman's (Christopher Reeve version), mine's closer to Rorschach's.

"God doesn't make the world this way. We do."

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 hour ago, roleki said:

And redsiders say "devs hate redside".  Hmph.

Frankly, I'm tired of redsiders whining about lack of players. Listen, I'm not going to play redside no matter how many merits you hang around your neck. 😛 

Edited by gamingglen
  • Haha 1

This is all malarky anyway.  If you really wanted to apply real world morality and physics to the game then every zone would look like Boomtown: demolished with all the AOE powers going off as well as all the missed shots. When you miss with that energy beam where does it go? And there would be no one walking the streets except those with mediport privileges. 

Just play the GAME.  'nuff said.

(hah!)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

None taken here, for what that's worth.

Check the tone of the OP in both threads:

One is a discussion of in-game lore, a mission arc detailing the fictional politics of the medi-porter system, and clearly about in-game/character related things that fostered some interesting lore discussion and some side-chat on ST:TNG stuff.

The other is a blatant, reactionary verbal jab towards players (regardless of where the tongue was located) which is made clear by the references to finding teams/rejecting ideas - which are player activities.

Shorter: One is about the Game, the other is about Players.  Don't make me use a cliche. 🙂

Sure, right?  But when it comes to General Discussion, pretty much everyone else is Finn the Human, while I am Jake the Dog.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1