Heroes are murderers

The_Warpact

21 hours ago, roleki said:

The very first attack you get as an Axe is called 'Beheader.'  That's not something that allows you the illusion that you're sending the bad guys to reform school.  That said, if you live in a city where people can teleport & kill you 18 different ways and you'd STILL rather take your chances stealing purses in broad daylight... well...

"Some men, you just can't reach.  So you get a front-loaded Build-Up-> Total Focus -> Energy Transfer that crits.  Which is the way he wants it.  Well, he gets it.  And I don't like it any more than you men."

People in this thread are too attached to the name of the moves. Go to a level appropriate mob. Hit it with Behead. Did it get beheaded? Did it fall down one shot? No? Then it's the name of a move, not what the move does.

Any AR character, Archery, Broadsword, etc etc. Aim at a level appropriate mob. Empty your uzi three or four times. What do you mean it did not die with one bullet and instead it took 15-20 bullets? You had to use Behead 3-4 times to defeat a minion? Did it have 3-4 heads? Maybe it's an semi invulnerable Hellion to have survived so many times being hacked by a blade?

Or maybe we are not using the edge like so many comic book characters who use swords. Now of course if someone wants to RP the Punisher, sure, go for it. I feel it cringe as fuck to be RPing and people bragging of how they kill with impunity all the Hellions and Skulls.

Whoa, calm down edgelord, you just pretend there are no consequences because the game doesn't have it coded in. That's it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Some do, and it's literally handwaved. The first arcs where we have the option to arrest someone or kill them while they wait at our pleasure with their hands in the air? always felt wrong to even have the option and then not even have consequences when do it.

Huh, they probably should have given you alignment points for that choice. It's a very vigilante/hero choice. 

3 minutes ago, Marshal_General said:

If you lock someone in jail knowing they are only going to get out and kill multiple people like the Joker repeatedly does, then who is really responsible for those deaths?

The system that put it in there. It may not be a good system, but it's what they have. Lets not pretend killing the Joker is ever going to be an option when comic books require villains. A better solution would make better villains. Joker style villains are terrible since they bring exactly this reaction of why-don't-they-kill-him where an adult understands comic books are an industry. Better to have villains we can live with like most of Flash's Rogue villains are like that where they don't kill but rob, and sometimes, sometimes, they help.

I went through that phase of saying screw Batman, be a hero and take the burden, but A) I grew up, its obvious popular characters will never be killed. Lock the Joker in an adamantium cage protected by kryptonian tech and inside a black hole, and in three issues he's out because the writers need a villain. And B) comic books are still a message. Don't pick a gun and kill people because you don't like them.

17 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Yes. On TNG they introduced Replicators. These are essentially small transporters that use a pattern in memory to materialize small things like plates of food or cups of Earl Grey tea.

They don't technically create matter from nothing, they create it from energy drawn from the ship's power plant.

So there's no reason that they couldn't take a snapshot of you when you're beamed down and then use that information to repair you when you're beamed back up to the ship.

Quibble: They often distinguish subtly between what is going on with replicators and what goes on with the transporter, such as being able to taste a difference between replicated and real food (whereas if it was from an accurately reproduced pattern there would be no taste difference) and transporter patterns degrading over time to the point you do not get back a living person (whereas if food patterns degraded...well, I am not eating anything past its degradation date...your egg souffle could end up being poisonous goo).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Luminara said:

Theoretically, this could've been used to bring Professor Moriarity out of the holodeck and into real space, but I believe they'd abandoned that story line by that point.  Sadly.

Nobody wanted an evil super-genius in real space. The solution they gave him made everybody happy.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Marshal_General said:

If you lock someone in jail knowing they are only going to get out and kill multiple people like the Joker repeatedly does, then who is really responsible for those deaths?

Isn't that line of thinking what prompted Injustice: Gods Among Us?

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Sovera said:

I went through that phase of saying screw Batman, be a hero and take the burden, but A) I grew up, its obvious popular characters will never be killed. Lock the Joker in an adamantium cage protected by kryptonian tech and inside a black hole, and in three issues he's out because the writers need a villain. And B) comic books are still a message. Don't pick a gun and kill people because you don't like them.

Batman's friend Superman has this nifty device which sends people into another dimension. 

Admittedly the Phantom Zone has increasingly been shown to be a really horrible place. And given what they did to Jor-El it is not implausible he knew how horrible of a place it was to begin with.

48 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Some do, and it's literally handwaved. The first arcs where we have the option to arrest someone or kill them while they wait at our pleasure with their hands in the air? always felt wrong to even have the option and then not even have consequences when do it.

Matthew Habashy going 'oh. okay' really awkwardly is the funniest thing in the early mishes and why I sometimes choose it.

• Haha 1

I am @Chrono-Bot! SGs: Girls Gone Rogue Isles, The Helping Hands, The Orange Bagels, Paragon's Perfectly Normal Heroes. Server: Everlasting! See my characters, now with photos, below!

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/33049-chrono-bots-characters/

I'm not NOT here to make friends.

8 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

Isn't that line of thinking what prompted Injustice: Gods Among Us?

That's honestly why I believe Amanda Waller is one of DC's best characters. She's just so real world with her perspective on things. She knows she's not a "good guy". She's someone with a job to do and that is to protect the US from all real and potential threats. She's completely unapologetic about it.

• Like 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

3 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

That's honestly why I believe Amanda Waller is one of DC's best characters. She's just so real world with her perspective on things. She knows she's not a "good guy". She's someone with a job to do and that is to protect the US from all real and potential threats. She's completely unapologetic about it.

She is a great character not because she's unapologetic but because she is a cautionary tale on what happens to one's morals when you pursue an absolute. Many fans love that she is hard woman making hard choices. For me it about the times she realizes she has unintentionally crossed a line or enabled someone else to do so in pursuit of her goals. Well, that and when she gets one over on Batman and the heroes.

2 hours ago, Sovera said:

Now if people want to headcanon being the Punisher go for it, but I'd rather go by his own words and have Captain America as a role model. None of my heroes kill even if they are fire users.

I can completely respect this.  And yet...  Captain America and the Winter Soldier.

Agent Sitwell: Is this little display meant to insinuate that you're gonna throw me off the roof? Because it's really not your style, Rogers.

Steve Rogers: You're right. It's not. It's hers. (Natasha kicks him off the roof)

although, Falcon DID catch him before he splatted. Darn it.

The problem is when society becomes too civilized that it starts to break down and criminals no longer fear the law because more often that not the law protects them from the consequences of their actions.

Far too often the police can do nothing about someone who is an obvious threat until he/she actually does something and then far too often for someone it is too late.

"Shes dead? I guess she was right about him being a threat. We can arrest him now" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marshal_General said:

The problem is when society becomes too civilized that it starts to break down and criminals no longer fear the law because more often that not the law protects them from the consequences of their actions.

Far too often the police can do nothing about someone who is an obvious threat until he/she actually does something and then far too often for someone it is too late.

"Shes dead? I guess she was right about him being a threat. We can arrest him now" 

The law is structured in part to protect citizens from the government. Thus a high bar is set to establish guilt (in theory). The downside is that sometimes guilty people go unpunished. The upside is that they can't (in theory) kick in your door and haul you to jail simply because you look threatening or resemble a suspect.

• Thanks 2

Correct. Protecting people's rights is one thing. But once you start passing laws protecting people from the consequences of their actions you get chaos and the downfall of society.

So you'd prefer a situation in which the police can take me (or you) to jail simply because I look like an "obvious threat"?

There have been places in the world like that. The Soviet Union, Nazi Germany, The United Kingdom under King George (which we rebelled against, you may recall). Our Constitution and legal system are designed to protect us against that kind of horrible authoritarianism.

So you'd prefer a world in which every upset and/or scorned woman can have you arrested by simply claiming that you're a threat? Yeah. That ability would never get abused, no sir!

Wow. I'd hate to live in your world.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 hour ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Correct. Protecting people's rights is one thing. But once you start passing laws protecting people from the consequences of their actions you get chaos and the downfall of society.

So you'd prefer a situation in which the police can take me (or you) to jail simply because I look like an "obvious threat"?

There have been places in the world like that. The Soviet Union, Nazi Germany, The United Kingdom under King George (which we rebelled against, you may recall). Our Constitution and legal system are designed to protect us against that kind of horrible authoritarianism.

So you'd prefer a world in which every upset and/or scorned woman can have you arrested by simply claiming that you're a threat? Yeah. That ability would never get abused, no sir!

Wow. I'd hate to live in your world.

You do.

I realized a long time ago that any woman can make any accusation against you and you would be considered guilty by society..

While some of it may be true, so many men were accused of things in Hollywood, fired from their jobs and nothing was ever said about it again nor was anything ever proved. Even if they could prove they didn't do it, nothing would happen to the accuser. Having been in Law Enforcement, and know many people with the same background, I have seen it and heard of it happening too many times.

Society is in a downward spiral.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MTeague said:

This thread is going downhill fast. 

Zomg Look!!  A Distraction!!

Valiant attempt, don't know what is with people lately that they feel compelled to bring real world localized social issues and political views into absolutely everything, even to a lighthearted jab from a filthy evildoer to the paragons of good, or perhaps this was your plan all along @The_Warpact?...
narrow-eyes-gif-11.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.

5 minutes ago, Albion said:

Valiant attempt, don't know what is with people lately that they feel compelled to bring real world localized social issues and political views into absolutely everything, even to a lighthearted jab from a filthy evildoer to the paragons of good, or perhaps this was your plan all along @The_Warpact?...
narrow-eyes-gif-11.gif

Evil has no boundaries....look at my profile pic a little closer, what does it say?

😈

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

8 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

Evil has no boundaries....look at my profile pic a little closer, what does it say?

😈

dude...you serious?!

trying to read this small text kills probably more eyesights than any Paragon City Liefeld Wannabe Cape ever could kill Villains.

spacer.png

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Ashington said:

dude...you serious?!

trying to read this small text kills probably more eyesights than any Paragon City Liefeld Wannabe Cape ever could kill Villains.

spacer.png

Lol heroes...

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

On 1/24/2022 at 4:28 PM, The_Warpact said:

My point is that it doesn't specify, the Zig is impractical.

Jacob Hobbes, former Zig inmate and current warden of the Port Oakes Penitentiary, would agree with you that the Zig is totally impractical.

On 1/24/2022 at 10:45 AM, The_Warpact said:

In the links I provided, it says the PPD only porters villains in Mayhem events, nothing about common day street thuggery or in missions. 

Realistically how could they? You figure in an average mission there are roughly 20 villains, how many missions a day by x amount of heroes, the Zig would be overloaded by now.

A lot of villains go into the Zig every day, but a lot of villains also leave every day. The escape rate is ridiculous. It's not just the Arachnos breakouts. Walk around Brickstown at any hour of any day, and you'll see dozens of guys in orange jumpsuits outside the walls of the Zig, unsupervised, just kind of hanging out. (They're always guys.) How often is there a Prison Break Event? Every fifteen minutes?

On 1/24/2022 at 1:18 PM, Solarblaze4 said:

And how far down does the Zig go? Do they hold different creatures at deeper levels? Do they do unauthorized testing on the creatures down there?... what do we really know about the Zig. And what about all those rularuu in the shadow shard? Does this teleport system work in/across other dimensions?

There is a lot we don't know about the Zig. Why are there so many escapes? Why are the low-level escapees we see in game all men? And how do we reconcile the things we've been told about power suppression in the Zig?

• In the villain tutorial, Angel Lopez (an inmate) says that most inmates are forced to take "inhibitor drugs." Superadine lets inmates "once again feel mighty." The player experiences this.
  • In Episode 3 of the blueside Pandora's Box arc, Odysseus says that inmates' (and other people's) powers are drained "slowly" when they enter the walls of the Zig. There is no mention of drugs.
  • In Episode 3 of the redside Pandora's Box arc, the player's powers are suppressed for a short time. A rank-and-file guard says, "Grab whatever technical gizmo or magical doohickey you're looking for. Cause in here? That crap ain't working." There is no mention of drugs.
  • In the second mission of "Breakout at the Zig," Blunt Trauma, Nexus 99, and Void Ripper can use some offensive powers as soon as they are out of their cells.

You could throw up your hands and say that this is an inconsistent mess of plot holes. Here's my best guess about how it could all fit together:

• There is corruption among the officers of the Zig. Among the officers supervising the men's medium security unit, corruption has run rampant. This explains the large number of low-level male escapees.
  • Pandora's Box is the main superpower suppressor, but its effects are not instantaneous, and it doesn't suppress superpowers completely. It reduces them to a low level (typically 5 or below).
  • Inmates are made to take a depressant drug. The intent is to prevent inmates from using the low-level powers that Pandora's Box does not suppress. It is not 100% effective, and the administration of it is disorderly and uneven. The fact that the "inhibitor drug" is a depressant explains why Angel Lopez says superadine lets inmates "feel mighty," rather than saying it restores their powers. It explains both why inmates are so desperate to escape and why so many escapees get past the walls and then just kind of hang out, rather than running as fast as they can or looking for civilian clothes.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2022 at 10:04 AM, CaptA said:

As someone that has enjoyed going up high on Atlas Park buildings and kicking Hellions off the roof just to see them jump up after falling 30 stories and running off, I really don't think anyone is dying in this game. 

As someone who has healed fellow heroes for over 10 million hit points, got a power called Resurrect around level 4 or 6, and has the Caregiver day job, I feel confident that chopped-up villains being teleported to hospitals are going to get some health care that might blow their minds.

But you should see how much I bill 'em if they don't have insurance.

• Haha 2

Refight the Trojan War and stop Arachnos in the time-traveling "Dr. Aeon and the Wrath of Achilles," 5 missions full of heroic allies and smash/lethal EBs, AE#31899!

Torchbearer Greek & Roman theme SG and coalition -- "Polias" -- always looking for new members!