Ebil Wednesday #11 - The market is a hot mess

Ura Hero

Heyo Ebil Marketeers.

The market is a dumpster fire at the moment.  Prices are all over the place.  Looks like one or more people are just dumping IO's to get rid of inventory.

Or maybe I'm just crazy which is a strong likely-hood.

Things have been slow so I've been slogging through fire farms as a time waster.  It's not the fastest influence generator, but when you have nothing else to do, at least it is somewhat profitable.

It's all fine.

Biggest thing I have seen is LotG: +Recharge not being a consistent 8 mil anymore. Numerous ones are being sold in the 6 mil area.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

11 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

Biggest thing I have seen is LotG: +Recharge not being a consistent 8 mil anymore. Numerous ones are being sold in the 6 mil area.

Umm....I can't say every day, but since the change to 0XP/2xINF, the price of Lotg 7.5% has dropped (at least when I look) from routine 7-8M to routine 6-7M. 
I haven't seen it at a consistent 8M since then. Every now and then, sure. But mostly 6-7m. 

I've definitely seen pvp IOs drop a good bit...but only in spurts. Not consistently. 

14 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

I never pay more than 6 mil for LOTG + rech and sometimes will pay as low as 4.5 mil. Granted I don’t mind waiting a day or two for an order to fill. Buy it now prices can be super volatile though. 

Edited by Saikochoro

I could sell them at a "8 mil" listing as of the last 1-2 weeks without a second thought. They would always sell within the same day. I've literally been selling that way for months.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 2/9/2022 at 8:23 AM, Ura Hero said:

Heyo Ebil Marketeers.

The market is a dumpster fire at the moment.  Prices are all over the place.  Looks like one or more people are just dumping IO's to get rid of inventory.

Or maybe I'm just crazy which is a strong likely-hood.

Things have been slow so I've been slogging through fire farms as a time waster.  It's not the fastest influence generator, but when you have nothing else to do, at least it is somewhat profitable.

It's all fine.

You're not wrong.  I sell everything at 1 inf.  Everything! I always have, ever since I figured out it would still make me an adequate amount of influence and minimize the amount of time I have to interface with the crappy AH system.

I'm not here to play a market investor.  I'm here to play a super being kicking villain (or hero) ass.  I offer no apologies for this.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I have one alt I don't like playing who does nothing but flip unslotters.  She's done very well for herself at Wentworths.

You can't be serious. You're telling me - you bid at low/very low prices, then re-list at higher prices? Have you no shame? You have a responsibility to the community to not do such things. There are new players without our deep pockets that could do without the non-value added surcharge. 

Crafting/converting, I absolutely get. You're spending time, energy etc. But if you're not adding value, then that's quite shameful. Tsk, tsk. 

And if I've misunderstood, shame on me. But if not, that's really quite disappointing. 

On the other hand, the folks that loathe the AH so much they can't be bothered to sell something for a proper price, they shouldn't engage with it at all.

But those are just my thoughts in this very tiny specific moment in time. Once I finish the post, I will change my position to suit my needs. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Ukase said:

You can't be serious. You're telling me - you bid at low/very low prices, then re-list at higher prices? Have you no shame? You have a responsibility to the community to not do such things. There are new players without our deep pockets that could do without the non-value added surcharge. 

Crafting/converting, I absolutely get. You're spending time, energy etc. But if you're not adding value, then that's quite shameful. Tsk, tsk. 

And if I've misunderstood, shame on me. But if not, that's really quite disappointing. 

On the other hand, the folks that loathe the AH so much they can't be bothered to sell something for a proper price, they shouldn't engage with it at all.

But those are just my thoughts in this very tiny specific moment in time. Once I finish the post, I will change my position to suit my needs. 

Who said I was relisting at *higher* prices?

Boy, if that gets your spandex bloomers in a twist, wait until you read my memoirs, "I Was a Teenage Market Maker:  The Harrowing Adventures of the Invisible Hand."  There's some stuff in there that will turn your hair blue!

• Haha 5

Who run Bartertown?

4 hours ago, Ukase said:

If @Yomo Kimyata were driving the price of unslotters higher, that would benefit new players, as they can acquire ~200+ merits at level 1, without engaging in a single second of combat, and turn them into unslotters to sell at those flip-inflated prices, netting even greater profits than they otherwise would.

Edited by Luminara

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

The unslotter market is rather irrational.  Given that you can trade a merit for 3 converters or 2 unslotters, you would expect unslotters to trade at roughly 100k less/plus.  But when people want them, they want them right now and pay 150k for them.  And when they want to dump them, they want to dump them right away and sell them for less than half that price.  And whereas it's simple to get a good price on 100 or 1000 or 10000 converters, the unslotter market is much much thinner since they aren't as universally useful.

It's rather moot for me, since I have something like 5k of the damned things sitting in my Character Items.

Who run Bartertown?

Flippers are not evil. They do a mix of good and bad. Imo, often more good than bad, especially since inf is so easy even for lowbies to get (on my server, all one has to do is ask politely in help or broadcast and generally millions will shower down on you) and consistent supply and more stable prices are everyone's friends. 

While I'm at it, I will call BS on the idea that "listing for 1" helps anyone but marketeers. These get bought out by large standing bids or volume deal hunters. New players, casual players, and even many veteran non-marketeers buy stuff on the spot and usually pay way too much for it anyway, even if it's listed for 1.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

the unslotter market is much much thinner since they aren't as universally useful.

I go through a lot of unslotters, but many are from pack drops. I still buy a fair number on the market. I imagine, probably from you, and I hope, close to your listing price. :D

22 hours ago, Ukase said:

Once I finish the post, I will change my position to suit my needs. 

looney-tunes-speedy-gonzales.gif

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 2/11/2022 at 4:32 PM, Cancrusher said:

You're not wrong.  I sell everything at 1 inf.  Everything! I always have, ever since I figured out it would still make me an adequate amount of influence and minimize the amount of time I have to interface with the crappy AH system.

I'm not here to play a market investor.  I'm here to play a super being kicking villain (or hero) ass.  I offer no apologies for this.

Some of us play both :D

And the two roles synergize very well. 

I also list a lot of my stuff for 1 inf. Most of the time, it's small potatoes, and I can let people who specialize in those goods turn them into money through volume. I specialize in other things. I have no illusions it's helping anyone truly needy, however. 

Our time is truly the one real cost of everything in game. And that time has variable utility based on whether we enjoy what we are doing during it, and players enjoy different facets of the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've bounced between unslotters, converters, and catalysts several times.  And when I do I often stop to try to think about the why of some of those bids.  Then I remember, "Oh right... humans." and I go back to what I was doing.

Converters I understand because you need a LOT when RNGesus just isn't cooperating.  So solid supply/demand dynamic in play there.

Catalysts I scratch my head at because they can be scored easier ways than the AH but whatever shut up and give me my 1.5 mil (or whatever it is they sell for I forget now).

Unslotters I have no idea.  I think I've used exactly 1 the entire time I've been back in game and that was just to see what it did exactly.  My build is either planned out meaning I never need to remove something or if I do I just respec that one time at 50 to remove all the IOs and put in the sets I want if I didn't do that already as I was leveling anyway.