Moving conversations in CoH

Snarky

No.  I do not mean deep and meaningful discussions that change my long deceased heart

I am talking about tooics being moved from General.  Many times I agree with this being done. Yet, in my opinion, sometimes it is done without being necessary or helpful

A recent discussion on Dark Armor is gone.  This is a topic that affects many ATs.  Moved to “Archetypes”. I looked in Brutes, Tanks, no idea where this is.  Was a nice little discussion.  Now it is properly filed away.  Where evidently it will be hard to find and die a nice neat death

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Snarky said:

I am talking about tooics being moved from General.  Many times I agree with this being done. Yet, in my opinion, sometimes it is done without being necessary or helpful

It is necessary, and it's more helpful than you realize.  Think it's tough to find a moved thread?  Imaging what it would be like if every thread was in one category.  No order, no topical division, just thread after thread you have to scroll past to find the one you wanted, and they're always moving, always bouncing threads up and down, off to the second page, then back to the first when you're looking on the second...

Proper categorization and location of threads is what keeps forums like this in a readable format.  It might be momentarily inconvenient from time to time, but it's less chaotic and confusing.  And there are plenty of ways to find a moved thread.  As @Greycat said, you can click the "Topic was moved to" link; if you've posted in that thread, you can go to your own profile (see that picture of yourself at the top right?  click that) and click the link(s) to your post(s); if you recall the name(s) of the poster(s), you can check his/her/their profiles and click a link to the post there; there's a Search box at the top right of the page (every page).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

If its in the wrong section then it needs to go to the appropriate one.

General Discussion isn't the "just drop it there for more foot traffic or the whole gee whiz there's more sections to the forums" spot.

Too often people put stuff in the wrong area ie; Suggestion for a new blaster set in the Blaster thread, Discussion on an armor that affects all ATs in General discussion, Badges for Defeats in Brute section.

Thats the reason for so many sections there are appropriate areas for each topic. If not it would be worse, imagine looking in the Archetypes thread on a specific question regarding armor types, why would I goto the badges section to find the answer.

There needs to be Order.

😉

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

15 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

If its in the wrong section then it needs to go to the appropriate one.

General Discussion isn't the "just drop it there for more foot traffic or the whole gee whiz there's more sections to the forums" spot.

Too often people put stuff in the wrong area ie; Suggestion for a new blaster set in the Blaster thread, Discussion on an armor that affects all ATs in General discussion, Badges for Defeats in Brute section.

Thats the reason for so many sections there are appropriate areas for each topic. If not it would be worse, imagine looking in the Archetypes thread on a specific question regarding armor types, why would I goto the badges section to find the answer.

There needs to be Order.

😉

There needs to be KAOS!   Down with Control!

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree with some of your complaint, @Snarky.  It seems like a GM has recently decided that any discussion of powersets belongs in the Archetypes forum.  Personally, I don't see it—as you mention, a discussion about Dark Armor isn't about any particular AT or about ATs in general.  Powers ≠ ATs.  And it seems like discussions of powers have been getting moved more recently than they used to, too. 

I'm all for putting posts in the right place, but this seems like misfiling to me. 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Zhym said:

I agree with some of your complaint, @Snarky.  It seems like a GM has recently decided that any discussion of powersets belongs in the Archetypes forum.  Personally, I don't see it—as you mention, a discussion about Dark Armor isn't about any particular AT or about ATs in general.  Powers ≠ ATs.  And it seems like discussions of powers have been getting moved more recently than they used to, too. 

I'm all for putting posts in the right place, but this seems like misfiling to me. 

Its not solely based on GMs either its based on posts reported also. 

In this case Dark Armor is a power and if you goto Archetypes the whole section is questions regarding powers. Hence, it is in the appropriate spot.

If need be I'm sure they can put a description after each section to further alleviate any confusion on posters 

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

This should probably be moved to the Suggestions forum. 

Don't tell Snarky. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

Nearly all discussions of archetypes involve discussions of powers.  That doesn't mean that any discussion of powers is necessarily about archetypes.  And while the main "Archetypes" forum does have lots of discussions of powers, so does the General forum.  I mean, it's a popular topic of conversation!  Getting picky about it being posted in the right forum seems like an unproductive and unsatisfying battle to me.

Maybe if the forum were named "Archetypes and Powers," that could make sense, although then I'd wonder why the top-level forum had subforums for ATs but not for powers. 🙂

(And now I'm waiting for this thread to get moved to the Suggestions & Feedback forum.)

• Thumbs Up 1

I think topics about powers get moved to the archtype forum more often when people are asking in terms of a build or gameplay.  Seems they stay in general more often on topics like 'does X power or powerset need a buff'  or 'X power sucks,  what do you think'

Of course this is just my personal observation and it isnt 100% true.  More occasionally topics get moved that probably could have stayed but dont make much difference if they are on general or somewhere else.  Overall,  general is the most inflated forum so im ok with topics getting moved elsewhere to help keep things organized.

31 minutes ago, TheZag said:

I think topics about powers get moved to the archtype forum more often when people are asking in terms of a build or gameplay.  Seems they stay in general more often on topics like 'does X power or powerset need a buff'  or 'X power sucks,  what do you think'

I think you're right.  If a thread involves posting MIDs builds, it's probably more likely to get moved.  Maybe the Archetypes forum could be renamed "Builds and Archetypes" to reflect how the forum is actually used?

1 hour ago, Zhym said:

it is discretionary.

there is inevitable bias and preferential treatment at play,

this includes the combining of topics.

as well as deletion without explanation.

is this how the Discord works?

(taking bets to see how long this post lasts)

Edited by Troo
  • Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

1 hour ago, Troo said:

it is discretionary.

there is inevitable bias and preferential treatment at play,

this includes the combining of topics.

as well as deletion without explanation.

is this how the Discord works?

(taking bets to see how long this post lasts)

Probably about as long as your other thread gets moved to the Help and Support section. 😉

• Haha 3

Snarky is like 10000 years old, stop moving things around damnit, it's confusing him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.

2 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

im-a-grumpy-old-man-grumpy.gif

Everyone thinking ancient vampires are cool and magnificent, guys probably wake up every some hundred years with a proverbial backache and still can not get over the fact Byzantion changed name four times already.

• Thumbs Up 1

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.

7 hours ago, The_Warpact said:

Probably about as long as your other thread gets moved to the Help and Support section. 😉

and so it came to pass..

image.png.fb58b85a161ba5c6e09ecf55d99dd0a0.png

• Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

17 minutes ago, Albion said:

Everyone thinking ancient vampires are cool and magnificent, guys probably wake up every some hundred years with a proverbial backache and still can not get over the fact Byzantion changed name four times already.

Like how grumpy Petyr was in What We Do in the Shadows.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Snarky said:

There needs to be KAOS!   Down with Control!

We all knew this day would come.

• Thumbs Up 2

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 2/21/2022 at 6:40 AM, The_Warpact said:

If its in the wrong section then it needs to go to the appropriate one

While I don't disagree, the centralized nature of "General" and the much smaller playerbase contributing to a much smaller forum userbase oftentimes causes moved threads to completely die once put into the "correct" section. That can't be good for people trying to get an answer to a problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

1 hour ago, ForeverLaxx said:

While I don't disagree, the centralized nature of "General" and the much smaller playerbase contributing to a much smaller forum userbase oftentimes causes moved threads to completely die once put into the "correct" section. That can't be good for people trying to get an answer to a problem.

If I goto the Badges section seeking a answer about a badge why would I go to another section?

If I go to the Archetypes section seeking answers about -to hit in Darkness sets, why would I goto General?

Like it's been explained there is still a link in the wrong section including a description of where it has been moved to.

More than half the people who come on here don't even use the search function and still ask the same questions over and over again. So saying it can't be good for people trying to get an answer is laughable at best.