Make Practiced Brawler a toggle

ladytania

5 hours ago, ladytania said:

Most other powers of the same type as Practiced Brawler are toggles, like Unyielding and many others.  I would respectfully recommend changing Practiced Brawler from a clickie to a toggle to match with others like it.

Thank you!

Why, though?  What is your actual reason for wanting this?  Is it that you want to free up the slots you'd normally devote to making it permanent?  Is it you get defeated frequently, thereby having to wait for it to finish its recharge to get the benefit?  Do you like spending more end per second?  What is the actual *reason* for wanting this change?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Yep.  Why even make a SR if you aren't going perma hasten?  

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm.

If it's not, then PB has a 10.7 second downtime with a a single 50+5 recred and absolutely no other recharge in the build at all. Which is, I guess, possible at 50... if you work at it....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm.

If it's not, then PB has a 10.7 second downtime with a a single 50+5 recred and absolutely no other recharge in the build at all. Which is, I guess, possible at 50... if you work at it....

No sarcasm.  SR has +20 recharge built in thats basically 3-4 IO sets worth towards your perma hasten.  So its almost sacrilege not to build for it.  If I didn't have Perma-hasten on an SR at 50 i'd feel cheated somehow.  

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, aethereal said:

Here's the revelation I had with my Ninjutsu scrapper (which also has clicky mez protection):  you don't actually need to click it every time it's up.  You don't need to put it on auto.  I promise.

I was chasing DPS, and decided I didn't in fact want to break up my attack chain just because my mez protection happened to be available -- especially since that would have resulted in significant double-stacking.  So I tried to get in the habit of checking to see if the power was available while I was going from spawn to spawn, and clicking when it was, and not clicking it during combat.

I wasn't perfect at keeping the coverage up, and occasionally I did get mezzed.  But not very often, because defense sets like the three that get clicky mez protection dodge most mezzes.  And when I did get mezzed, I just...  clicked my mez protect.  You can click it while mezzed, and it breaks you free.

Honestly, really, try this.  It makes the clicky protects much less of a chore, and it adds some layers of strategy to the game.

While I was doing the same on my Ninja's (don't have a SR), I will say, it's a little different with the Shields, since they have a toggle that turns off when mezzed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh... I easily get 70%recharge out of Quickness and set bonuses...which equals hasten...with no crash...so...I don't even take it.  My PB recharges in 86ish seconds.  I've never used or missed hasten.  

But fotm breeders are bottom feeders.  🙂

Edited by Aracknight
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

You enjoying that?

Im able to do a long animation energy transfer then do total focus and a fast energy transfer so thats fun.  Its my only theme character and i needed all punches.  No elbows or kicks or magic looking stuff.  I built SR for incarnate level defense and figured that the scaling resist as HP drains would be good.  But resist doesnt really kick in till around 20-30% HP and that doesnt happen often.  Healers keep him topped off so the few hits that land hit hard and it just makes him feel like a squishy tank.  ill probably drop some defense to get more starting resist.  Hes a fresh 50 though with only alpha unlocked so ill have to get everything that i planned on before i make a final decision and do a rebuild.  I do like the double stacked practiced brawler,  hami tank levels of protection and havent even gotten an outside buff yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Yep.  Why even make a SR if you aren't going perma hasten?  

I don't permahasten anything. *shrug*  I'll make an SR because it fits the concept I have for a character.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

3 hours ago, Andreah said:

I don't perma-hasten my SR's either; generally, they're good enough without it, and I use whatever slack there is in the build pursuing the character's theme.

"they're good enough without it,"

I'm fairly sure my Main's Sunset 3 build iterations included among them a perma-Hasten option.  The primary build, however, didn't use the Speed Pool.  And for what her 'good enough without' meant, it meant I could set the content to +4/×8 and take on any foes in the game and expect to complete it.  The only exception I don't know if that would hold true for is vs specific AV's as I had already gone through chewing my way through Tina MacIntyre's arc solo several issues prior and really didn't/don't care if I could solo any AV/GM in the game.  I'm fine being able to do so vs hordes of Awakened, Malta, Arachnos, Carnies, Vanguard Sword, IDF etc., etc..  If Recluse, the Freedom Phalanx, Burkholder, etc. are not possible that's equally likely a lack of player desire than anything the build can actually accomplish or not.  I get more sense of fun from taking on huge hordes of foes than a specific subset of endgame AVs.  

• Like 2

On 2/21/2022 at 12:09 PM, aethereal said:

You can click it while mezzed, and it breaks you free.

I wasn't aware they ever incorporated that.  Totally changes my view of the power.  I think the best option would be having access to two mutually exclusive moves then.  One a toggle, and the other a click buff.  Let the player decide which suits their style and build better.  I know that if I have Spines/Radiation Melee and have a damaging toggle I don't want to turn off if mezzed, I would much prefer the toggle mez protection.  But if none of my toggles will drop if I forgot to turn on Practiced Brawler, then the clicky one seems the better choice.

I do still fully agree that we should be allowed more than one auto-click power to be set, so long as it isn't a damaging attack.  Hasten is the main culprit causing issues here, not Practiced Brawler.  (Hasten, honestly, I feel is a much more problematic power, but that's a topic for another thread.)

1 hour ago, Doomguide2005 said:

I get more sense of fun from taking on huge hordes of foes than a specific subset of endgame AVs.  

Especially since many AV's are "can you stack regen debuffs on them?"

And decades later I'm still salty over Purple Triangles screwing over my controller when the entire idea of CONTROL is supposed to be how they avoid damage. Yea, I can work out a build that softcaps them, too but... <Sigh>.  Purple Triangles just feel like a targetted F-U at my fav archtypes.

jrangersmall.gif.61f0f73dd3687cc1ffd63cf8694b421f.gif

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.