Statesman: is it time to resurrect him or replace him?

Voltor

Which do you think?  resurrect or replace?

IF memory serves, had the game not been closed down, Emperor Cole was going to suit up and claim to be Statesman to fight the Battalion, but that isn't likely to happen now.

So should Statesman be revived and restored to his full power?

Or should he be replaced?

If replaced, I would suggest that the time has come to cure Hero 1 of his Rikti contamination and be restored.

• Like 1

25 alts with all the badges!

Resurrect: No.

Replace: Meh. I mean, technically Positron seems to have taken his place as far as leading the Phreedom Phalanx, so he's been "replaced" there. Hero 1... eh. Tyrant... meh.

Honestly, outside of "Lore says everyone looked up to him," there's not really a *need* for him. Originally we went through 1-50 with only an occasional mention of him, to find he's been locked up in Praetoria (since Tyrant couldn't hurt him,) so it's not really like he had any impact on the world we played through.

Leave him dead. We don't need a Statesman Mk II.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, Voltor said:

Which do you think?  resurrect or replace?

Resurrect, as Zombie Statesman!  Doc V and The Clockwork King team up to dredge his rotting corpse out of whatever hole it's in, re-animate it and send it shambling after Lord Recluse, who subsequently uses his mental network to take control and uses it to launch an assault Ouroboros in hope of discovering a way to break his connection with the Well, but instead, creates a parallel Paragon City in which everyone is a rabbit!  Doom bunnies, with deadly hopping powers and mind-bending nose wiggles, bent on domination of the Rogue Isles, invade Grandville, and heroes and villains team up to prevent the bunnification of the entire world!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I still want someday for a continuation of the Battalion storyline at least, since the are so many active loose ends right now for it, and I'm up for the idea of Emperor Cole temporarily taking up the mantle. I don't think there is a real need for a permanent replacement though. I think it is dumb how a literally who killed States, but that ship has sailed and he's dead. 

Except, isn't Tyrant dead for all intents and purposes too? He was reduced to a normal super... because that isn't an oxymoron... anyway, he was stripped of his powers by the Well and left defeated in the Magisterium, right? Assuming he wasn't killed in that battle, he still would be eaten by Hamidon... ... INFESTED-TYRANT!!!!!

Anyway, is Tyrant dead or imprisoned according to the lore? And is he not stripped of his Well granted powers? Those answers would determine his ability to step in as Statesman, I would think.

Aside from that? Yeah, I don't really see a need for Statesman to come back.

36 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Except, isn't Tyrant dead for all intents and purposes too? He was reduced to a normal super... because that isn't an oxymoron... anyway, he was stripped of his powers by the Well and left defeated in the Magisterium, right? Assuming he wasn't killed in that battle, he still would be eaten by Hamidon... ... INFESTED-TYRANT!!!!!

Anyway, is Tyrant dead or imprisoned according to the lore? And is he not stripped of his Well granted powers? Those answers would determine his ability to step in as Statesman, I would think.

Aside from that? Yeah, I don't really see a need for Statesman to come back.

He's imprisoned in primal earth/a total scrub now. The aforementioned temporary taking up the mantle was purely for morale purposes. 

Ooh! Here's a dumb thought! For the Battalion story line, which yes, please continue it, Lord Nemesis in his Mender Silos persona steps up to lead the fight instead of Statesman/Tyrant! We don't know how if Nemesis, I mean Silos, got any new powers as the leader of Ouroboros. And as the one acting as the spearpoint in organizing a defense against Battalion, in his role as the Lead Mender, it would make more sense for him to be The One to lead the fight. Especially since the Freedom Phalanx, Vindicators, Arachnos, et al have no idea he is a far future Nemesis.

4 minutes ago, A Cat said:

He's imprisoned in primal earth/a total scrub now. The aforementioned temporary taking up the mantle was purely for morale purposes. 

Thanks. Did not know either of those bits.

(Edit: Boo! That means no Infested Tyrant future battle....)

Edited by Rudra

3 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

The original idea for Statesman's return was to have Tyrant take up the mantle, at least in name, in order to deter a major threat to Paragon City. Kinda like that scene from Megamind where "Metroman" makes a return, with similar hijinks to make it seem plausible.

All the more reason for it to be Nemesis! I mean... Mender Silos!  He's got the tech to impersonate Statesman, even if he has to dust it off. He has the knowledge of who, what, where, when, why, and how. Who better?   🤣

The Phalanx has powerful members, but Statesman was the Mary Sue/Superman of the team.  yes he could be a bit of a jerk but as the incarnate of Zeus that wouldn't be a surprise.  It has also been stated that he didn't use his full might often because he understood the Well and the dangers of being linked to it. 

Positron is an overamped armor wearer,  Bab and Cit are powerhouses but not at Statesman levels,  Sister Psyche and Yin are the obligatory telepaths, Numina brings magic, Manticore is the hero without powers.   While they have likely stepped up their game and rallied around Positron, the team lacks the overamped powerhouse that can swoop in and pulverize superior enemies that the rest can't handle.

Case in point the lousy Justice League movie: they can't stop the invasion so they revive Superman and of course get smashed by him until Lois arrives and he fully wakes up then he returns to smash the leader of the invasion.

As to Silos/Nemesis, he believes the power of Rularuu is the key to stopping battalion, and he does state that the power of Statesman is dispersed and cannot be reformed at the end of the VIP arc, however that statement is open to suspicion given the source.

How about a storyline where THE PLAYER CHARACTER becomes the power house that the city, and the Freedom Phalanx, looks up to?

I know, I know. Having the player be the star of the show is just dumb, right?

• Like 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

5 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

How about a storyline where THE PLAYER CHARACTER becomes the power house that the city, and the Freedom Phalanx, looks up to?

If memory serves didn't the plan a contest for a player character to join the phalanx but the shutdown ended it?

49 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

How's the player character supposed to be the big flashy heavy hitter foe at the end of the LRSF

Edited by Vanden

I remember being told back in the day that he was killed off so that he wouldnt be relied on and that players would have rise up and fill the gap left by his death.  Because if Statesman were still alive there are plenty of times that make u scratch your head as to why am i being sent on this mission while u stand around.

I dont remember if any of that was from official sources but it made sense that the game could never really grow past him if he was still there.

Boo,  @PeregrineFalcon! Boo with your logic and letting player characters be both the main character of a game and the supporting leader rallying everyone to you! I wanted a shocked world from the Big Reveal that the Statesman rallying everyone to your banner as you lead the charge to topple Battalion and have Rularuu eat him was really Lord Nemesis! I say boo! 🤣😂🤣

Edited by Rudra
Edited to link @PeregrineFalcon so (s)he will get notice of this response and maybe get a good laugh out of it.

I think dead is dead.  I also think it was a mistake to erase him from the game outside of everything except "Who Will Die?". Yes, we see him in the Ouro in Maria Jenkins and now, thankfully, in the OG LRSF, but if he had even a minor presence prior to doing "Who Will Die?" and then after you do that he's phased out and replaced by Libby, then at least we'd still have him sort of.

Other than that I'm voting for Time Travel and the 1932 All Stars Freedom Phalanx Founding Battle Task Force!  Help The Statesman, Maiden Justice, Elementar, Vambrace and Dark Watcher against the Nemesis Hordes, in BRASS MONDAY! (not available in your locality).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

12 hours ago, Luminara said:

Resurrect, as Zombie Statesman!  Doc V and The Clockwork King team up to dredge his rotting corpse out of whatever hole it's in, re-animate it and send it shambling after Lord Recluse, who subsequently uses his mental network to take control and uses it to launch an assault Ouroboros in hope of discovering a way to break his connection with the Well, but instead, creates a parallel Paragon City in which everyone is a rabbit!  Doom bunnies, with deadly hopping powers and mind-bending nose wiggles, bent on domination of the Rogue Isles, invade Grandville, and heroes and villains team up to prevent the bunnification of the entire world!

Will there be a badge?  There has to be a badge.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

COH bomp bomp: 

I have waited 10+ years and look forward to this answer too.

clones, time travel, extra-dimensional lizard Statesman, robots, Cole… Jessica Duncan getting her Well of Furies on - I am good with that too. 

the greater problem never addressed was the loss of States created an  imbalance to Lord Recluse.  Without a Statesman to counter Recluse’s  ambition he’s probably been accumulating extra power all these years from the Well.  

Edited by starro

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

I really don't see Ms. Liberty getting Well of the Furies enhanced. It's not a hereditary thing. Then again, I didn't see Positron getting Well of the Furies enhanced either, but here we are. I'm not a very good seer....

(Speaking of Well enhanced individuals... why is Lady Grey such a weak incarnate?)

1 minute ago, Rudra said:

I really don't see Ms. Liberty getting Well of the Furies enhanced. It's not a hereditary thing. Then again, I didn't see Positron getting Well of the Furies enhanced either, but here we are. I'm not a very good seer....

(Speaking of Well enhanced individuals... why is Lady Grey such a weak incarnate?)

Positron doesn't have Well enhancement, does he?  I didn't think so.  He's got that Fire of Prometheus shtick instead, surely.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )