Dual Builds - Do You Use Them?

Panache

20 hours ago, TheZag said:

My tank has his hamidon tank build,  an AoE faceroll build that can farm S/L if desired and a general tanking build.

I did the same thing. Well, except for not making a Hamidon tank build. So I guess I only did 2/3 of the same thing as @TheZag  🙂 

But after a while, I noticed that the AoE build was plenty tanky enough for pretty much all the teams I joined, so in retrospect making the even-tankier 2nd build didn't make enough of a difference to be worth the time and effort I spent on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don’t really use it, partly because I get very discombobulated if I have different versions of the character… like different power choices and thus different quickbinds.

My main use for the other builds is to test powers and power pools I don’t usually pick, just so I can see them in action! Actually I really recommend this!

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

I did once on a dp sent. He had a macro that would switch ammo type along with build and (slight variation of) costume--cybertech jacket and resitance pants highlight colours. Each build would optimise the ammo type like damage and chance to burn for incendiary, slows for cryo rounds, etc. But that was part of his concept. Incarnates didn't factor in so well with the forced cooldown of switching builds, but I didn't mind. Expensive too.

On regular toons, no. Each toon has his own personality which is evident in his fighting style and hence build. If I really wanted a different build direction on a particular power combo that I really enjoy, I just roll a new one with the same powers. Yes, even my spiders. I have several toons with duplicate power sets but totally different builds (plus personality and play style).

Here are the circumstances for which I have "multi-built"

• VEATs <- typically I have 2 builds used for each path, and 1 build specifically for "team boosting" based on one of the other builds
  • MMs <- I will usually try a "one big pet" build. I usually don't use them, but I try them!
  • Tankers <- This is peculiar (for me)... see note below

I build my Tanks such that I can enjoy solo play and PUGs, so my power/slotting will usually have them at something 99.5% "Total Survivability", but I will sometimes add a second build that puts them at 99.9% "Total Survivability" for those occasions when a PUG explicitly wants a Tank for specific content and won't guarantee that they will provide any sort of boosts. There usually isn't anything radical about the second build... maybe a slightly different assignment of slots, maybe pursing a specific set bonus, often it is just using boosted 50+5 pieces (as opposed to attuned) for level 47+ content.

• Thumbs Up 2

I only put dual builds on characters I enjoy playing very much and have plenty of hours on.  Its usually to switch a power here and there like on my dom I have a team build with leadership and a bit more aoe damage, a solo build with the patron pet and then a full stealth build with burnout for the really hard stuff.  I also do 3 builds with my tank.

Mostly I see the extra builds a waste you could be devoting to a different alt that could bring something different to your playtime but if you have some characters you'll play a lot anyways its good to have options for them too.  

13 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

I only put dual builds on characters I enjoy playing very much and have plenty of hours on.  Its usually to switch a power here and there like on my dom I have a team build with leadership and a bit more aoe damage, a solo build with the patron pet and then a full stealth build with burnout for the really hard stuff.  I also do 3 builds with my tank.

Mostly I see the extra builds a waste you could be devoting to a different alt that could bring something different to your playtime but if you have some characters you'll play a lot anyways its good to have options for them too.  

I did it on my Dark/Savage Dom, in order to give him better/different teaming powers on TFs < lvl 30.  For example, he is petless at 50 but at lower levels has both Haunts and the doggo.  I found on lower level TFs, esp WSTs, I really needed a different build to contribute vs. what works at 50. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My Peacebringer has a base-form-only build that runs a bunch of toggles and has some Defense (he's more a "Light" PBAoE-focused Sentinel), and a second that only has the essentials and click powers in base-form, then runs mostly in Nova and Dwarf. The Form Build is a bit more exemplar friendly if only because of Nova and Dwarf.

Mostly on Torchbearer, but if you ever see me on, feel free to say hello!

Astral.Kai - Peacebringer; Dark.Enforcer - Dark/Shield Scrapper; Spark.Enforcer - Electrical/Shield Scrapper; Shadow.Reign - Dark/Regen Brute;

Glitter - Warshade;

And others to be added as I get them up to snuff, lol!

I don't dual build because I have 47 characters and just swap between them instead of builds.

But I really should dual build.   I only really like teaming, but I don't like sitting around waiting for teams.  So I should have a solo build on my defenders and controllers as well as a team build.  For instance I love thermal but the shields and heal ally do nothing when soloing.  I could have a build with some extra attacks.

I've been enjoying my bio/savage tanker a lot lately, but for RP purposes he has Leviathan Mastery.  I wanted a way to make him a bit more durable, so I used the 2nd build to make him a bit tougher and took Energy Mastery on that one...

On 3/3/2022 at 4:24 AM, Panache said:

Anyone else make good use of this feature?

Yes.

Teaming vs Solo builds

Single target vs AoE focus

Stealth vs Non Stealth

PvE vs PvP

<50 vs >50

Power tray organization and button mapping being limiting or frustrating aspects.

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum