Dual Builds - Do You Use Them?

Panache

So I’ve started focusing pretty exclusively on just one character, and started thinking about running a dual build for the first time ever. I’m a live vet so the concept isn’t particularly new to me, but I’m wondering what kind of fundamental changes people make when they implement their second (and/or third) builds. 

For an example or some context: my main build is a Storm/Sonic soft capped  to range and resist capped to S/L/E, but gave up a good amount of recharge to get there. I’m thinking that with the second build I’ll just go whole hog for recharge. 

Anyone else make good use of this feature?

Edited by Panache

No. Only use cases I can think of are VEATs and base building. 

• Like 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

I have use for MM builds. One has nearly full flying pool so I can fit in Group Fly. One has nearly full Presence pool so I can taunty Taunt, and Placate and Fear.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

On a Rad/fire Brute I did. One for farming and one for regular content. I might use one build to level, and then make a final one in a separate slot, but I never switch back. Very typically, I just respec the first slot. Depending on what is required of the second build, it can cost a lot. I just prefer dumping coin into another character.

To add, I can see making a team build and a solo one. I might just try out a build on the test server to see if I even needed a second build.

Edited by Without_Pause

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Went into this back on live:

http://web.archive.org/web/20120904082455/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=194712

As far as "Do I use them?" The answer is solidly... sometimes. And what changes... depends completely on why I'm using them.

I used to suggest PVP builds. Some people may still do this, I tend not to, since purples drop more frequently through AFKing in Pocket D than PVP fights being found... but you may want different things in your PVP build than your PVE build.

I have a farmer with a farm and non-farm build. Yes, the farm build can do well, I just want different things during non-farming activity.

Kheldians - Might have a triform and human form on one for various reasons.

Support sets - If I find myself soloing on an Empathy character, or FF on a non-MM, for instance, I'll throw a "Solo" build on and go heavier on attacks and such.

RP - I may *want* some things for reasons in RP ("This character isn't actually this powerful," or "is more XYZ" or just want an effect) that I don't necessarily want as a part of a real build. Kind of rare, but it happens.

VEATs - sadly, you don't get away from the forced respec at 24 on a second or third build.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I've got dual builds on two characters right now. My ice blaster Ukase, and my tank Emancipist. The tank's extra build is for tanking hamidon. The other is the build I simply arrived at when he reached level 50. Mids wasn't updated beyond the live version at that point, so I hadn't really spent time with it at that point, so it was mostly going off of memory and pursuing specific set bonuses. 

The ice blaster's 2nd build was really more of a respec in the same time frame, and I was concerned I wouldn't like the change, so I just made the second build. 

I do not habitually change builds for either of them. The one time I did, I was a bit dismayed, realizing (and understanding why) that each power would have to recharge. And, it was right before a task force and I definitely felt off-guard and out of position to be useful for about five minutes. 

With Attuned sets & mids, there's really no need for dual builds anymore. (for me) 

I'm just not going to sweat the boosters unless it's a character I will play a lot, and in those cases, I just use unslotters, and keep the attuned versions in my trays & replace them when I'm done with whatever the task was. 

I run a dual build on my En/En Blaster - the  team-friendly edition with all the KB:KD enhancements I could scrounge up, then one that actually slots to enhance KB so I can amuse myself with all the ensuing wonders.  

• Thumbs Up 3

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

Once I built a 2nd build to do low level missions with on my 50 blaster.... My intent was to go through all the low level flashbacks on that toon and start badging, etc.  It was an interesting mental exercise to min-max solely for the exemplar down to levels 10-20.  But I didn't get much use from it after about a week's worth of grinding missions.

• Like 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

I've never found it useful except to have two optimized Kheldian builds (one hooman, one triad).

If I teamed a lot more, I would probably have solo/team builds on some alts.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

I have multiple builds on some characters.  My tank has his hamidon tank build,  an AoE faceroll build that can farm S/L if desired and a general tanking build.

I feel the main thing is to get familiar with the select build command so you dont have to go back to the trainer every time you want to switch.

/selectbuild 1

/selectbuild 2

/selectbuild 3

And remember that all your abilities go on cooldown.  All your toggles will drop,  your pets will be dismissed,  everything.  So if you plan to team transport or long range teleport,  do it before changing builds.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sometimes.

Time/: oh @#$%.  I have 9 variations spread across 3 characters, maybe more ... I'd have to count.

FF/Beam Defender: PBU*Clarion Incarnate Buffs, General/Malfactor Build, Offense.

FF/DP:  801 Build, Malfactor/General Build, Offense

Tank: Psi-Tank, 801-Tank, Offense

Stalker/Scrapper:  801 Build, Offense

Fortunata:  Ranged Control, Melee-Fort

Kat/Ena: 801.6 and 801.A builds

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

The main drawback of this is the expense, If you can afford to do it though, why not?

I rarely have enough cash to really make it work. But if you are playing one character and almost nothing else it does make a lot of sense to have multiple builds. My main is an Elec/Psi Dom, being able to swap him back and forth between the Psi and Mu epic pools would be really useful, for example.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

The main drawback of this is the expense, If you can afford to do it though, why not?

I rarely have enough cash to really make it work. But if you are playing one character and almost nothing else it does make a lot of sense to have multiple builds. My main is an Elec/Psi Dom, being able to swap him back and forth between the Psi and Mu epic pools would be really useful, for example.

Ah, jealous of the ability to change Epics without losing theme. Although no complaints about Elec Mastery on the Storm/Sonic.

My peacebringer has two fully-kitted out builds, one for human for general play, one triform for special circumstances.

Every controller I've leveled got varying degrees of unfun to solo without a specialized build in about the mid-teens. Back on live, I just committed those characters to being team-only, but with Homecoming, I've used my second build to have one for teaming and one for soloing, the latter using SOs and getting abandoned once the main build comes together.

Sometimes I think of taking all the spare inf in my inbox and making a pure level 50 build with everything boosted up the wazoo for my main/badger, but when I think about it I'm not sure it'd be worth it and I'd rather use that inf to fund alts.

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

Occasionally. 

On some characters the 2nd build becomes a testing spot to see if a new build is more effective...I switch between the 2 and run whatever mission a few times to test. So much easier now that Boosting doesn't take so long.  Learned the hard way on Live that just because something looks better doesn't make it so.  I know I could test on, hmmm what is the test server called?, but then I end up making the same build twice in essence and it is so much work to begin with. 

There are a pair that use all 3. A boosted Lvl 50 build, an attuned exempt build as well a boosted Lvl32 set which for me is is the sweet spot for exempting. 

But for the most part one seems to be plenty. 

Edited by Sakai

Very rarely, yet they are INCREDIBLY useful when you need them.  The two that I use are

1) My Farmer has an alt build for regular teaming.

2) My “main” is the Brute I am soloing every contact in the game with.  I have his solo/regular build.  This includes stealth, a very  late build taunt, and an extra range ST and AOE from epic.  He also has a Tank build, early taunt, more armors, Leadership Maneuvers and Tactics.  Less damage 

Edited by Snarky

I have a second build on exactly one character. I basically never use it.

In theory,  you can have one build optimized for lvl 50 content, and one build optimized for flashbacks. Or whatever else floats your boat. PvP, etc.

Part of it is I just don't enjoy character builds that are super high on global recharge and which use only 3-4 attacks from their primary. 

I get that they can be efficient. I get that they can yield better damage output. I get that you can pick up more pool powers that way.

I just don't enjoy it. 

In practice, I spend over 95% of my time in my "main" build, the one that's designed for flashbacking and uses 7 powers from my primary and 7 powers from my secondary. 

I've only recently started dual build on my energy/energy blaster.  I love the powersets, but having to slot kb-to-kd on everything for the good of the team reduces his full potential.  The second build is a build to remove those restrictions, embrace KB, and give sets one more slot to work with.  I'll probably use that for soloing or in events so crowded it doesn't matter, like mothership raids.

I do see potential in a dual build for my warshade.  I've just not started it.