Shield Defence no heal

FenrisWolf44

Convert inspirs over to greens as needed. This obviously gets easier as you level. Level 25 is a nice bump. Needless to say I try to eat inspirs like the free candy dispenser they come from. Bigger mobs mean more inspirs.

• Like 2

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I used to always take Aid Self, but after swapping to Maneuvers I won't ever go back.

No Hit (Def) - Less Hurt When Hit (res) - More HP - HP/s in that order and I keep greens on hand just in case I get a weird damage spike. I have no issues.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, SomeGuy said:

I used to always take Aid Self, but after swapping to Maneuvers I won't ever go back.

No Hit (Def) - Less Hurt When Hit (res) - More HP - HP/s in that order and I keep greens on hand just in case I get a weird damage spike. I have no issues.

This. Rebirth incarnate (late game) is always an option as well if you want an “oh crap” heal.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You don’t need a heal when you’ve got that much mitigation. I don’t think you need Rebirth either, just go Ageless.

Shield is one of the most OP sets in the game already without any of this. If it had a heal it would rightfully need to be nerfed into the ground.

Edited by arcane
  • Like 4

Oh one last question. I read lots of differing opinions of Shield Defence being significantly better on a Scrapper than a Brute. Is this the case? Or is it much ado about nothing? Being that I will be solo, will I be much better off being Scrapper, Tank or Brute?

4 hours ago, FenrisWolf44 said:

I have multiple ideas for characters with Shield Defence, but the lack of a heal puts me off, since I will be solo. Those who have used the set, how have you managed without one? Do you miss it, does it really need one?

Thanks in advance.

Shield done right doesn't really need it but you could always make a DM/Shield or Rad/Shield character if you want healing.

Oh one last question. I read lots of differing opinions of Shield Defence being significantly better on a Scrapper than a Brute. Is this the case? Or is it much ado about nothing? Being that I will be solo, will I be much better off being Scrapper, Tank or Brute?

The charge is a pseudo-pet which derives is damage value from class base damage values. Brutes have a low value which gets augmented by Fury for their normal attacks but does not impact Shield Charge. That is what makes people point to Scrapper/Stalkers/Tankers (higher default defense values) for Shield over Brutes.

Edited by Erratic1
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

44 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

That is what makes people point to Scrapper/Stalkers/Tankers (higher default defense values) for Shield over Brutes.

Against all odds also provides a stronger damage buff on scrappers, on top of higher base damage in the first place.

Additionally, aao Taunts on scrappers, minimizing runners. It taunts on brutes too of course, but this negates something that would otherwise be a brute advantage.

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hybrid Melee also offers +Res and Regen. I can see just using that as heal support for a /shield or /sr character. Shield isn't turning down +End and +recharge from Ageless although Rebirth is certainly nice.

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

10 hours ago, FenrisWolf44 said:

This answer depends on what you value more. Damage or survivability? Brute sits in the middle of a scrapper and tanker in terms of both dmg and surviving.

Stalk/Scrap-Brute-Tanker DMG that order

Tanker-Brute-Scrap/Stalk Surviving that order

You can hit 90% resistance on Brute/Tanker but only 75% on scrapper.

SD isn't better on any AT compared to the other, just what you value more with your playstyle.

*shield is a absolutely great choice on any AT.

Oh, something to note about SD on stalkers. Shield Charge out of hide does NOT break hide. This is why ELM/SD stalkers can be so hilarious. Lightning Rod doesn't break hide either. So sit in mob, hit Build Up. Shield Charge then L Rod. Thne Ass Strike a thing. Or Thunder Strike for more AOE crits.

Edited by SomeGuy
  • Like 2

Power Transfer has a Heal Proc.  Put that in Stamina.  That Proc + ENDMOD IO from the set, comes with a 6% Regen bonus.

While I didn't find I REALLY needed a heal, I did take the Heal from the Incarnates, as it just layers the defense.

• Like 3

On my Shield tank after beta of the Relentless Aeon and how hard it is I tinkered with taking Unrelenting from the presence pool.  I was already taking taunt so that left just one power I needed to sacrifice to get that amazing power.  Rebirth alone wasn't cutting it and my tank already was capping defenses and resists so Unrelenting was a great addition. 

Unrelenting on my tank heals for 3600+ hp over the 30s to go with the damage, recharge and endurance boost, not to mention its also a rez.  The heal does great work with Shield since your defense will limit the damage that gets through and the resists lessen the damage all while the heal is ticking away.  

Now any Shield character I make I consider the Presence pool.  Rebirth will mostly suit you just fine but Unrelenting is a fantastic power in so many ways.  

Edited by Mezmera
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Gobbledegook said:

I think /shield is best on a Tanker due to the ATO proc, but you give up Scrapper damage for it.

If you want a heal you could always try EA.

This is a really good example of how good the ATO1 proc for Tankers is. That thing stacks., and it's like...6% res to all each stack? Also a really good example of what people value most.

On 4/8/2022 at 3:19 PM, Erratic1 said:

The charge is a pseudo-pet which derives is damage value from class base damage values. Brutes have a low value which gets augmented by Fury for their normal attacks but does not impact Shield Charge. That is what makes people point to Scrapper/Stalkers/Tankers (higher default defense values) for Shield over Brutes.

Shield Charge does get a damage buff from Fury.  Like most pseudo (rather than actual) pets, it's set to copy bonuses from its caster.

The reason why Shield Charge may not work great on a Brute is that pseudo-pets have low damage caps (I think 400%, which is to say +300% over normal), making it easy with normal slotting + fury to be right at cap (~+275% with full fury + normal damage enhancement) and then you waste additional buffs (from teammembers or for example Build Up).

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later

Shield Defense is the best armor in the game in my opinion. When built right, I have never thought, “man I wish I had a heal!” I carry a line of greens on me and rarely ever use one, let alone the whole line of them. Great defense means I rarely get hit. Great resists means that the few hits that do make it through don’t hurt much. 

I have found that the panacea, power transfer, and incidental regen bonuses that are a by product of my other slotting choices cover 90% of my need of healing. 

As far as how it performs on brutes versus scrappers: it’s not really that it’s bad on brutes it’s more of that it just rocks on scrappers and it’s absolutely crazy on tankers. So for me, it’s more of the brute vs tanker vs scrapper question in general. That said, brutes don’t get quite as much out of AAO and shield charge. But honestly that’s okay. Shield defense is still outstanding on brutes. It is outstanding on any archetype that can take it. 

Edited by Saikochoro
  • Like 1

I just finished playing on these to 50. I didn't fully IO the build, not sure if I'm that dedicated to it.

If you're used to playing a set that has a quick heal, this will take some adjustment in thinking prior to having the assets to tank through anything. My currently level 50, partially incarnated Shield/Energy can go through about x8+1 Fire Farms with bosses turned off. That's still pretty good IMO, much better than most characters. Also, far from unkillable.

The last ITF I did with this character I had most of the unique procs slotted, but no real set bonuses. I found I could tank through most stuff other than the grouped up Elite Bosses. Pretty good performance I think.  

Part of the reason for my slowness to invest is armor powers in particular tend to be expensive to slot with sets. There are some players who are gifted at the market or farming in ways I am not and seem able to slot any toon they roll. I have over 193 toons, with two I'd consider to have "complete" builds. 

I do happen to have a Dark Armor and Reflexes Tanker to compare the Shield to. I find the Shield is about as survivable as the SR. The Dark Tank on the other hand, similarly disinvested, drops like a rock and depends a lot on that set's rezz to avoid embaressing himself with wipe outs.

I've seen the hints of how the set will perform with further investment, and given the inclination I may continue the build out. I'm not as hardcore as some other players about this though. My Tank is likely to always be "pretty good." 

Edited by oedipus_tex

Nothing wrong with gathering the resources for a build over time, and maybe do some respecs as you go along or just do one when you have everything. Shield is one of the best sets to invest in, and more so on a Tank.

In all honesty, crafting level 41 Red Fortune recipes and converting the IOs to rares isn't much of "gift." :classic_biggrin:

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

• 3 weeks later
On 4/8/2022 at 12:31 PM, FenrisWolf44 said:

I have multiple ideas for characters with Shield Defence, but the lack of a heal puts me off, since I will be solo. Those who have used the set, how have you managed without one? Do you miss it, does it really need one?

Thanks in advance.

Regenerative Tissue +Regen
Numina's Convalescence Unique
Panacea Unique
Prreventative Medicine Unique

Power Transfer Chance to Heal Self

And there are multiple sets where some of the primary set bonuses are +Regen.
Usually with only 2 slots invested.

Here's a demonstrator build (NOT A USABLE BUILD, just to show where you can pick up regen in various sets).

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Scrapper
Primary Power Set: War Mace
Secondary Power Set: Shield Defense
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Blaze Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Bash -- OvrFrc-Acc/Dmg(A), OvrFrc-End/Rech(3), Empty(3), Empty(5), Empty(5)
Level 1: Deflection -- LucoftheG-Def(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(7)
Level 2: Battle Agility -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(A), ShlWal-Def/Rchg(9)
Level 4: True Grit -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(11)
Level 6: Jawbreaker -- PndSlg-Stun%(A), PndSlg-Acc/Dmg(11), VllofVlc-Dmg/KB(13), VllofVlc-Acc/KB(13)
Level 8: Clobber -- RopADop-Acc/Rchg(A), RopADop-EndRdx/Stun(15)
Level 10: Active Defense -- Empty(A)
Level 12: Confront -- Ann-Taunt(A), Ann-Taunt/Rchg(15)
Level 14: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Against All Odds -- PrfZng-Taunt(A), PrfZng-Taunt/Rchg(17), PrfZng-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(17)
Level 18: Whirling Mace -- ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(A), ScrDrv-Dmg/EndRdx(19)
Level 20: Phalanx Fighting -- Empty(A)
Level 22: Tough -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Weave -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Shatter -- Erd-Dmg(A), Erd-Acc/Rchg(27), Erd-Dmg/Rchg(27), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29)
Level 28: Grant Cover -- Empty(A)
Level 30: Combat Jumping -- Empty(A)
Level 32: Crowd Control -- Empty(A)
Level 35: Shield Charge -- Empty(A)
Level 38: One with the Shield -- Empty(A)
Level 41: Ring of Fire -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(42), Dvs-Acc/Dmg(42), Dvs-Dmg/EndRdx(42), EntChs-Acc/Dmg(43), EntChs-Dmg/EndRdx(43)
Level 44: Char -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(45), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(45), VllFir-Dmg/Rchg(45), VllFir-Acc/Dmg(46)
Level 47: Melt Armor -- TchofLadG-Rchg/EndRdx(A), TchofLadG-DefDeb(48), TchofLadG-DefDeb/Rchg(48), TchofLadG-DefDeb/Rchg/EndRdx(48), AnlWkn-DefDeb(50), AnlWkn-Acc/DefDeb(50)
Level 49: [Empty]
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Critical Hit
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- RgnTss-Regen+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(7), Empty(9)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PwrTrns-+Heal(A)
------------

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
		|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
		|MxDz;1074;540;1080;HEX;|
		|78DA6592CD6ED34010C7776DA7699338699226699B8448912AB5B435EA0B20046D4|
		|0A2910A95E058B966935A328E9518687B445CE11D803E0C1F125C80133C001F054E|
		|5CCD646687147525FB97FDCFCC7F66B3EE1E6EE67ABDCE1521F3D7027734DADBF58|
		|66E14A961AAEBF67D4F8C571A9E1AEB7B5D1528E5DC75E197EBA9D63F7D53F55438|
		|52CEEE81AF827BBC15F6CE6010381DBF7F10FB613F87BB6DE546B099C3CDD62154F|
		|BF75518BBB13F08B3941F8C0B4A5B91EF395703F75841B351AC8647F3304B0B9E6A|
		|155E12C74B2CF1D91462C312C617CD0496B0CEBC33F6245D8A39896953156216829|
		|283B2431ED3D78939089A1C346F5145E636711EA648090A9AA99B8026046F1073B1|
		|214419F880B808C969764A1F9143FE9868439B19ED246670E63AE467393FBB4F267|
		|98F68C0A5D89C6F637E1EF60589A74C8C4268A0EFEC40332236C0B4C8A6C58702C5|
		|D22362011CCA3A28CA686A429F0A4B15FA4741AAB15443A909AE0B7C1B0B5F0D3CF|
		|FE237CDEFC4C60FCD53E22C74ABB34F1D7DAA60DDE4533551BA50A50B47A9855211|
		|0ADB2CB5512A81B4C4D2124ACF415AD6F6A9E5353AFECABAE64B3AF1CA09F1E2536|
		|01BF88CF8028A57F940AB1F68E0B58F9A9F349FD045AF3F269E4091C31D9DB7D4E9|
		|D22BCDD79A6F881BEF34DF13C733270D4BF04A044AA2654DBEDC64FB7C7CC7E2304|
		|812A5D3CCA44467FD3A2319E2B2C479A7EED0B7378D293FCF57FDFE4FFA6361F65F|
		|5DE0DEEE|
		|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

3 hours ago, Galactiman said:

If you do Ice Melee you can slap a Call of the Sandman heal proc in Frozen Aura. If you don't enhance recharge, it has about a 35% chance to proc per target hit. 6 targets to cap at 90%, 5 to get you to ~88%.

There's no cap in terms of the multiplicative chance that a proc activates on at least one of the targets in a multi-target power.  The proc chance cap is the cap of the chance to proc on a given target.  If you have a Call if the Sandman in frozen aura and you hit ten targets with it, there's a roughly 99% chance it will fire.