Clarification request: Knock RESISTANCE vs PROTECTION

kelika2

I dont even know how to word this

flying's evasive maneuvers has 75% resistance, nothing else listed

acrobatics has a flat mag protection but also has the word "resistance" in it

stuff like practiced brawler has a high 10,000% resistance

I wanna be a hover dark armor and maybe fiery aura, will Evasive Maneuvers alone be enough?

Resistance reduces an effect.  Protection stops it completely if it has a higher number (magnitude).

If you get hit with an effect and have resistance, the effect is REDUCED but never eliminated - you'll be slowed less, knocked back less distance, lose less endurance, etc.

Protection will stop an effect.  If you get hit by a mag 3 hold and have mag 4 protection, the hold does nothing.

So, the really good sets vs knockback will have both resistance AND protection.  If you get hit by a knockback attack and have even a million percent resistance, you still get knocked down (because knockback with a value of less than 1 becomes knockDOWN).

Therefore, if Evasive Maneuvers only has resistance, you'll still get knocked 'down' (or do a mid-air flip).  Add any amount of PROTECTION to that, like 4 points from an IO, and you'll be in good shape.

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

4 points of Knockback protection works against 90% of KB attacks.  7-11 points gets you 95%  12 points gets you 99%     These are made up statistical percentages based on how I feel.  Don't ask how I feel about people that challenge the findings....

7 hours ago, kelika2 said:

I dont even know how to word this

flying's evasive maneuvers has 75% resistance, nothing else listed

acrobatics has a flat mag protection but also has the word "resistance" in it

stuff like practiced brawler has a high 10,000% resistance

I wanna be a hover dark armor and maybe fiery aura, will Evasive Maneuvers alone be enough?

To summarize this, the resistance in evasive maneuvers reduces the knock of the power that affects you by that percentage.  So a 10 mag knock would be reduced by 75% to 2.5 mag.  That reduced mag would then be compared to the knockback magnitude protection provided by other powers, if any to determine if you're affected.  Acrobatics offers both mag protection and resistance, so the incoming knock values are first reduced, and then checked against the protection it provides.  Practiced Brawler's 10,000% knockback resistance means that you're effectively immune to knockback while it's active, since even a magnitude 1000 knockback would be dropped to .1 mag before being applied against the mag protection.  

Small fun fact, KB resistance is capped at 99%. So the 10,000% KB resistance some armors give is superfluous. Still, with 99% KB resistance you effectively turn 1 KB protection into 100 KB protection.

Folks in here already explained theater pretty well, but I'll throw in my formula anyways.

KB received = KB x (100% - min(KB resistance %, 99%) )

• Like 2

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

2 hours ago, Plasmic Rage said:

Does Evasive Maneuvers' KB protection still apply in combat?

It's KB resistance, not protection. And yes, it applies in combat. You only lose the defense in combat

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

14 hours ago, Bopper said:

Small fun fact, KB resistance is capped at 99%. So the 10,000% KB resistance some armors give is superfluous. Still, with 99% KB resistance you effectively turn 1 KB protection into 100 KB protection.

Folks in here already explained theater pretty well, but I'll throw in my formula anyways.

KB received = KB x (100% - min(KB resistance %, 99%) )

Do you know if Protection applies before Resistance or after? 

32 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

Do you know if Protection applies before Resistance or after? 

After. So if you have 5 KB protection with 75% kb resistance and you get attacked with 10 KB, you will reduce the attack to 2.5 KB and you won't get knocked because you have enough protection (5>2.5).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marshal_General said:

Do any of the resistances actually work at 100% or are they all capped at 99%?

Some attributes do.

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/archetype-data.html?at=blaster

1 minute ago, Marshal_General said:

So logically if you resist at 100% that would mean the same as protection. I am sure that the Cryptic math doesn't work that way.

More specifically if you have 100% resistance it would mean the same as immunity.

Some weird stuff has (does?) happen at the extremes.  Specifically my Claws/SR scrapper vs exploding Rikti bombs.  They would send her skittering backwards but upright a fair distance at times when caught in the blast.  No kd would occur but she definitely got moved backwards.

10 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Some weird stuff has (does?) happen at the extremes.  Specifically my Claws/SR scrapper vs exploding Rikti bombs.  They would send her skittering backwards but upright a fair distance at times when caught in the blast.  No kd would occur but she definitely got moved backwards.

Mag 300 KB and animation glitch.

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=rikti.uxb.nuke

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Oh yeah I knew it was a *high* mag kb though I hadn't looked it up lately.   After watching a friend's Blaster get launched just shy of orbit by one I'd no doubts it was large.  Seriously it was one of those moments where it was all either of us could do to breath we were laughing so hard.  It was the large factory map where you have to find the bombs.  We'd found one way up top the catwalks.  He destroyed it and got blown halfway across the large outdoor map nearly to the entrance as a result.  Animation glitch certainly fits the "it doesn't happen reliably" part of the equation.  Frankly it's a fun glitch, really makes it feel like she's digging deep to avoid getting blown over backwards.