Focused Feedback: Name Release Policy - Phase 1: Warning Mode

• City Council
4 hours ago, BurtHutt said:

Devs, thanks for hearing us. I would also encourage you to not give away 1000 character slots on new accounts - please make this change. It's absolutely ridiculous and allows for tons of issues. Maybe start with 50 and leave an option to claim additional slots (maybe allowed to get more every few months - so, 10 more after every 3 months? Something along those lines). 

This would be pointless since players can create as many accounts as they want as quickly as they want. It'd just add the minor annoying step of logging into a different acount.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would not want to see an account wide activity update from a single login.  That would defeat half the purpose of this system - to free up names from those who made a bunch of lvl 1s and sat on them for months.  The other half being to free up names from those that havent been used in over a year and arent lvl 50.

Use them or (possibly) lose them.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, TheZag said:

That would defeat half the purpose of this system - to free up names from those who made a bunch of lvl 1s and sat on them for months. 

In that instance, the player is still active and can be contacted to negotiate to release of a name to you. 

On 7/18/2022 at 10:57 AM, Bionic_Flea said:

POSSIBLE BUG?

I'm not sure what is going on here.  I have one character on Brainstorm with a ! for being offline for 236 days.  OK that makes sense, but I also have one with 208 days and two with over 400 days that do NOT give the notification icon.  What's up with that?

image.thumb.png.e7f78f67ea9287bc10551918bc05353e.png

I used my other account to try and steal the name of Meteoric Flea, who is level 1 and has been offline for 236 days.  I was prevented from taking it and it said that the name was taken, choose something else.  Shouldn't I be able to take that name?

Just now, Bionic_Flea said:

I used my other account to try and steal the name of Meteoric Flea, who is level 1 and has been offline for 236 days.  I was prevented from taking it and it said that the name was taken, choose something else.  Shouldn't I be able to take that name?

From my understanding no, you should not.  This first phase is just the warning part.  Actual release of names will happen at a later date.

12 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

In that instance, the player is still active and can be contacted to negotiate to release of a name to you. 

Oh i didnt realize it would supply the activity status of players names when we try them.  Does it also give the global and open a chat with them or is that coming when the system is out of warning mode?

• City Council
On 7/18/2022 at 11:57 AM, Bionic_Flea said:

POSSIBLE BUG?

I'm not sure what is going on here.  I have one character on Brainstorm with a ! for being offline for 236 days.  OK that makes sense, but I also have one with 208 days and two with over 400 days that do NOT give the notification icon.  What's up with that?

They are level 50.

• City Council
13 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

I thought they were testing the implementation too.  What is there to test then for this section of the patch notes?

That the warning-only mode works and you cannot accidentally take the name from someone during the warning phase. Congratulations, I believe you are the first person to actually test the feature as intended.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TheZag said:

Oh i didnt realize it would supply the activity status of players names when we try them.  Does it also give the global and open a chat with them or is that coming when the system is out of warning mode?

You can use the /get_global_name slash command to locate the player who has a name you are interested in to contact them.  Or you can also use the various threads on the individual server forums to post requests. 

1 hour ago, Excraft said:

How do you know for certain they are squatting on them and not playing them?  You've no way of know what the majority of the people are doing here.  

if this is true, why would anyone be upset by the original rules?

1 hour ago, Excraft said:

Seems to me some people are seeing big numbers like 2,000,000 and 700,000 and are getting their hopes up that the name they wanted is going to get released once this goes live.  I'd be prepared to be disappointed.

I don't have a single name that I'm hoping to nab once this goes live. It's purely the principle that someone can sit on a level 6 for an entire year and not use it in order to ensure that they have a name. Use it or lose it.

2 minutes ago, Bartacus said:

if this is true, why would anyone be upset by the original rules?

Read the thread.  There's quite a lot of feedback here from players who keep lower level characters for all sorts of RP reasons. 

3 minutes ago, Bartacus said:

I don't have a single name that I'm hoping to nab once this goes live. It's purely the principle that someone can sit on a level 6 for an entire year and not use it in order to ensure that they have a name. Use it or lose it.

Again, how do you know they're sitting on a character for a year and not playing it?  You're making quite a lot of assumptions.  And if you aren't interested in grabbing a name that might get freed up, what does it matter to you?

35 minutes ago, Faultline said:

This would be pointless since players can create as many accounts as they want as quickly as they want. It'd just add the minor annoying step of logging into a different acount.

For each X number of names they want to camp, which gets more tedious to track the lower X is. Tedium can be a deterrent, enough to reduce casual camp-and-forget name squatting if not dedicated hoarders at least. Future account creation could also be limited.

• Thumbs Down 1

It seems to be working as intended. Warnings on appropriate toons, can't currently reclaim names, warnings clear after login...

That being said, my question is about the timeline during full implementation. I have a level 1 that I do marketing with. I long on to this character everyday, but if I go on a research trip, then have a family thing, and am off for 31 days, will the name be at risk? Or will it be 30 days (warning), +x days (can be reclaimed)?

Sorry, I just reread the initial post, so it is 23 days before the warning for a lvl 1, then after 30 days the name can be reclaimed? That seems a tad short.

Edited by Zepp

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

20 minutes ago, Zepp said:

Sorry, I just reread the initial post, so it is 23 days before the warning for a lvl 1, then after 30 days the name can be reclaimed? That seems a tad short.

But at level 6 it becomes a year.  You can get to level 6 pretty darn quick.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I think we had a pretty thorough discussion of the time periods, back when this was first discussed publicly years ago and now recently. I've given my feedback and while I didn't get my way, in fact it went the other way, I'm satisfied I was heard.

Yes, it is easy to get to level 6, but imagine a notional name-camper from the early days sitting on hundreds of names, all level 1 or 2 and being far beyond the thirty day period.

Their first inclination to keep those names will be to log them all in once a month. After a few round of that, they may decide to level some of them up to six to get past the monthly requirement and get a year. If you have a lot of names, just getting to level six on them all is a significant burden. I can be okay with that. It proves they're willing to put some effort into keeping those names.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Caretaker said:

Everything I do for the game is a love letter to the lore. Play some of it, for better or worse! 

I won't condemn you for the Dr Aeon arc, but I'm not likely to play it again.

Thanks for all that you do. I really do enjoy being back in THE CITY.

If you would like me to play more of the content you create, you will need to add it to the lower level content.

Part of the issue is visual spam from powers. 

The higher the level, the more screen-filling power effects. 

I can't see what I'm fighting. And /macro fx0 "noparticles 1" and /macro fx1 "noparticles 0" don't fix all the visual issues.

That isn't enjoyable to me.

The incarnate system is aggravating, but I will admit that some of that aggravation is still from the way it was inserted into the game as a money grab before the Sunset.

I think I can honestly say, to Dr Aeon, "Never again!"

But it is great to be back in the streets of Paragon City.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

• Developer
18 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

I won't condemn you for the Dr Aeon arc, but I'm not likely to play it again.

Thanks for all that you do. I really do enjoy being back in THE CITY.

If you would like me to play more of the content you create, you will need to add it to the lower level content.

Part of the issue is visual spam from powers. 

The higher the level, the more screen-filling power effects. 

I can't see what I'm fighting. And /macro fx0 "noparticles 1" and /macro fx1 "noparticles 0" don't fix all the visual issues.

That isn't enjoyable to me.

The incarnate system is aggravating, but I will admit that some of that aggravation is still from the way it was inserted into the game as a money grab before the Sunset.

I think I can honestly say, to Dr Aeon, "Never again!"

But it is great to be back in the streets of Paragon City.

I understand it's not for everyone. My contributions to Aeon when taking over for Piece was the original smelting cauldron, in fact most of the original ship mission, the AU-Rifter vacuum power, the ripple dimensions, and Becky's upgrades. But Cobalt can claim the lion's share of the credit. He took it all the rest of the way. I don't think small, I think in broad strikes and he details.

I can claim credit for 80% of Valeria though. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

hc_sig copy.jpg

There comes a time in which all stories must come to an end. It's a shame, hero, that you and your people aren't writing the end of yours. We've taken it upon ourselves to be the author of this universe's story, and your chapter will be added to the ever-growing story of how we dictated the path for all life.

2 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

But at level 6 it becomes a year.  You can get to level 6 pretty darn quick.

For my market toon, the concept is that the toon has made billions of influence without gaining a single XP. For this type of concept toon, or RP toons that some players use, the 30 days could be quite harsh.

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation