I remember when...

I remember learning how to window hop in King's Row because I didn't have Fly/Hover, and I had no easier way to get to the roofs to take out the Circle of Thorns that I needed for my mission to be complete.

Anyone else remember the "art" of window hopping? Before we got all sorts of cheap and easy free travel powers from like level 1?

Fire escapes suck as much as window hopping!

I remember learning how to window hop in King's Row because I didn't have Fly/Hover, and I had no easier way to get to the roofs to take out the Circle of Thorns that I needed for my mission to be complete.

Anyone else remember the "art" of window hopping? Before we got all sorts of cheap and easy free travel powers from like level 1?

Yes. My first 50 had jumping as a travel pool.

First, let me ask forgiveness. I was in my younger 30's and had not yet left my rebel without a cause stage in my life. So dont go raging at me...it wouldn't do you any good anyway, lol

I remember when I got my friend to confuse my Invuln//SS Tank in RV...I instantly zoned to Atlas Park and Foot Stomped in the middle of a crowd of lowbies... instant death. Lowbies lay dead everywhere...raging. I laughed my tail off so hard my stomach hurt.

Even though I wouldn't do that type of thing today, I still smile an evil grin at the thought. 8)

First, let me ask forgiveness. I was in my younger 30's and had not yet left my rebel without a cause stage in my life. So dont go raging at me...it wouldn't do you any good anyway, lol

I remember when I got my friend to confuse my Invuln//SS Tank in RV...I instantly zoned to Atlas Park and Foot Stomped in the middle of a crowed of lowbies... instant death. Lowbies lay dead everywhere...raging. I laughed my tail off so hard my stomach hurt.

Even though I wouldn't do that type of thing today, I still smile an evil grin at the thought. 8)

In a game full of supervillains, the real crime was that you didn't get a Bug Hunter badge for your selfless inquiries into game exploits.

As a Scrapper main I eat a steady diet of crayons and glue to keep my wits sharp and my reflexes honed.

I remember when I got my friend to confuse my Invuln//SS Tank in RV...I instantly zoned to Atlas Park and Foot Stomped in the middle of a crowed of lowbies... instant death. Lowbies lay dead everywhere...raging. I laughed my tail off so hard my stomach hurt.

In a game full of supervillains, the real crime was that you didn't get a Bug Hunter badge for your selfless inquiries into game exploits.

I did earn that badge, but not for finding that bug, the bug I found that got me that badge was a bug that would crash any major map you were on.

That was one of the things I did after making a character here, just to see if I remembered how to do it -- and because all the Hellions were missing in the area Matthew Habashy sent me to, so I had to jump up onto the roofs in the area to get them.

One of the "thank God that's gone" things I remember is from the early days, when you could be deep in a tunnel mission or five floors up in a door mission when you get 'Mission Complete', and having to make your way back to the entrance door to leave the mission, because there was no 'Exit' button.

I remember when the PVP zones first opened up.

I remember all the heroes showing up in Bloody Bay - the lowest-level PvP zone - with their HOs, and pushing the battle so close to the villain base, people were getting sniped IN THE HOSPITAL. 

(Speaking of which, I remember when the villain bases had open-air hospitals.  Ugh.)

The battle was right up against the gates, barely fifteen or twenty feet beyond the Arbiter Drones' range.  Literally, villains couldn't get out of the base to do anything else in the zone.  Level 9s with scrounged-up TOs, even SKed up to ... what is it, 12, for Bloody Bay?  Well, they can't compete with 50's sporting wall to wall HOs, even EX'd down to the same effective level.

That night, I pissed off SO many "Hero" players (quote marks intentional), because I stood my Robotics/FF mastermind next to an Arbiter and kept using "Teleport Other" to haul their butts into obliterate range.

Back when Arbiter Drones gave full Debt.

OH THE HOWLS.  And dozens, literally dozens, of reports/complaints sent to the GMs.

To which I calmly and repeatedly said "just move back down to the beach, away from the base, and you won't get Arbiter'd anymore."

And nary a GM said half a syllable to me about it, either.

But the heroes did move back.  After a dozen or more of them got great big piles of debt (some of them, six or eight times apiece!).

:D :D :D Good times, good times!! :D :D :D

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

I remember all the heroes showing up in Bloody Bay - the lowest-level PvP zone - with their HOs, and pushing the battle so close to the villain base, people were getting sniped IN THE HOSPITAL. 

(Speaking of which, I remember when the villain bases had open-air hospitals.  Ugh.)

The battle was right up against the gates, barely fifteen or twenty feet beyond the Arbiter Drones' range.  Literally, villains couldn't get out of the base to do anything else in the zone.  Level 9s with scrounged-up TOs, even SKed up to ... what is it, 12, for Bloody Bay?  Well, they can't compete with 50's sporting wall to wall HOs, even EX'd down to the same effective level.

That night, I pissed off SO many "Hero" players (quote marks intentional), because I stood my Robotics/FF mastermind next to an Arbiter and kept using "Teleport Other" to haul their butts into obliterate range.

OH THE HOWLS.  And dozens, literally dozens, of reports/complaints sent to the GMs.

To which I calmly and repeatedly said "just move back down to the beach, away from the base, and you won't get Arbiter'd anymore."

But the heroes did move back.  After a dozen or more of them got great big piles of debt (some of them, six or eight times apiece!).

Level 25 for Bloody Bay. Also, that was the introduction of Stalkers, who gave even HOed out heroes a fright. Nobody knew how to handle them. Good times!

I remember when I started with CoV and later got CoH and was disappointed that some of my costume options didn't exist, but excited about the new ones that did! If I remember correctly, the elf ears look used to be exclusively hero side, and that was the only other option for ears.

I remember during the City of Villains beta, they tested each PVP zone by giving you free level ups, and the first one, Bloody Bay, we got 15th level characters. I checked over the Stalker secondaries and found that only one out of the four would get status protection before level 16. So... I made an AR/Dev blaster with targeting drone and beanbag and spent the event stunning stalker out of Hide. My favorite was someone who got inside the arrival point (a helicopter) so when I stunned him the police drones got him. At one point I had multiple villains after me, including an ice/ice corruptor trying to freeze me in place so I could get assassin striked like four times. It was glorious, and possibly the most fun I've ever had in PVP, despite not directly killing literally anyone.

IIRC it was Dark Armor that got Obsidian Shield at level 10.

Had fun testing Recluse's Victory on an Ice/Stone tanker for that matter. Again, I didn't kill anyone but I was able to mess up people's days enough for other people to do it. And that time I had a dozen villains debuffing me to keep me from escaping, or even healing while in Hibernate. Good stuff.

Also used to do small PVP events with other players on the test server for fun. I recall LaserJesus was a part of those, and he had quite the accent.

Share your favorite (and least favorite) memories of the way CoH used to be.

I remember when...

...everyone frantically tried to obtain as many Accolades as possible as early as possible, because if you exemplared below the level you got the Accolade you lost access to its power.

...people frantically buttonholed everyone they met trying to see if someone had one of those darned badge missions that they somehow missed out on at a lower level.

...it used to be possible to herd the half a map worth of Warwolves into a dumpster at one time.

...the Positron TF was this ungodly slog that nobody ever wanted to do, and Synapse wasn't much better. (Synapse still isn't that much better...)

What do you remember?

I remember running/leading the Old School Positron TF & falling asleep at my chair 2 nights in a row. To this day I have never completed that TF.

I remember when I got my friend to confuse my Invuln//SS Tank in RV...I instantly zoned to Atlas Park and Foot Stomped in the middle of a crowd of lowbies... instant death. Lowbies lay dead everywhere...raging. I laughed my tail off so hard my stomach hurt.

Thanks for the laughs!

I remember discovering Null the Gull he was a bugged NPC, actually naming him Null the Gull, and organizing Virtue's first torchlight vigil after he was removed, a year before AP33.

Null_torch.jpg

That's me, in the Paragon Protector costume.

The reason why NOBODY did the Rularuu TFs...people thought old school Positron was a slog but sweet jumping christmas those two were so much worse and so much more BORING. Having those badges was a showcase of determination to sit through some of the most poorly done content in all of CoH history...

I remember when there used to be a map hole under the balcony in the nuclear reactor map, that allowed people with teleport powers to cheese past most of the mobs and port the rest of the team out at the end.

Players will just find a way to exploit any loophole, won't they? :)

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

I remember how easy it was to get lost in the trees of Perez Park before Vidiot Maps.

Even with Vidiot...  I still get lost, but it used to be a lot worse.

So true, once had a character who made several levels just because they did get lost in there.

I also remember when Perez Park would be a great place to team up but these bays you rarely see anyone in there.

Share your favorite (and least favorite) memories of the way CoH used to be.

I remember when...

...everyone frantically tried to obtain as many Accolades as possible as early as possible, because if you exemplared below the level you got the Accolade you lost access to its power.

Ohhhhh ya I remember that...kind of simmered down after like 15 or so.

...people frantically buttonholed everyone they met trying to see if someone had one of those darned badge missions that they somehow missed out on at a lower level.

...it used to be possible to herd the half a map worth of Warwolves into a dumpster at one time.

...the Positron TF was this ungodly slog that nobody ever wanted to do, and Synapse wasn't much better. (Synapse still isn't that much better...)

What do you remember?

The Original Hangover since the early 90's...this asks for your birth date...WHAT you NEED a birth date? I don't know mine..forgot it, gave mine away years ago um No thanks...do not need a new one.

I remember being able to ride on car tops as they were going down the street, as a blaster, a noob demanded I heal him...having to take one tram into each area then having to transfer to the "Other one"...I remember there only being ONE tram in each area IE SC,SC ect...I do not remember a level cap of 40 as one poster did and I do not remember which issue we started playing the game but it was less than 10...I remember scrappers being close to God mode.

The Original Hangover since the early 90's...this asks for your birth date...WHAT you NEED a birth date? I don't know mine..forgot it, gave mine away years ago um No thanks...do not need a new one.

I remember being able to ride on car tops as they were going down the street, as a blaster, a noob demanded I heal him...having to take one tram into each area then having to transfer to the "Other one"...I remember there only being ONE tram in each area IE SC,SC ect...I do not remember a level cap of 40 as one poster did and I do not remember which issue we started playing the game but it was less than 10...I remember scrappers being close to God mode.

I thought I remembered being able to ride on vehicles too.  Still not sure if it's just wishful fantasy

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I remember cows in the game (they were gone after Issue 2) that did nothing but 'MOOOOO' when hit. They had big eyes, and were found mostly in Perez. The only thing that remains from them are the MOOOS that can be heard in the Chalet...those are not moose or reindeer.

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

I remember cows in the game (they were gone after Issue 2) that did nothing but 'MOOOOO' when hit. They had big eyes, and were found mostly in Perez. The only thing that remains from them are the MOOOS that can be heard in the Chalet...those are not moose or reindeer.

No way!  Really?  Cows in Perez Park...I started in Issue 2, and I am sad I never got to see a cow :(

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

You can make them spawn again if you activate the chat gem enough times.

Now you are pulling my leg...how does one do this?