"Save me a spot"

Oklahoman

7 hours ago, Carnifax said:

That's why I don't want the leader monitoring my Global. I might be back but I'm probably trying to find the TF in the list to Solo queue so I can get teleported to them before I'm actually ready to go. Especially for an itf.

I do check their global, but don't invite until they say so for two reasons:

1)  The reason you stated - they could be using the LFG to teleport to the contact.

2)  They might be checking multiple characters to see if they have one who needs the badge.

• Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

I usually switch toons and zone in before sending the tell because I don't like my 2nd option... which is... I join the team and then explain I'm going to alt and give the name I'm coming back as.

I wouldn't ever send a "save me a spot" tell because I would still have to wait for a response to find out if there's actually room for me... and they may not send a response assuming I'm alting... so I'm not sure if I should alt, or wait... . and oh my goodness, that kind of uncertainty makes me very uncomfortable.

Edited by Shred Monkey
  • Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

I form a lot of TFs and issue my own passwords to people switching, but I give them typically no more reservation than 180 seconds. If you can't switch a character and grab a drink in that time, then you can form a tf when you have your own time to do so.

Otherwise when joining a team, I'll typically send a tell and ask the leader what kind of toon they want since I have around 150 or so toons I play, and then swap to something they requested. Then lfg port, and send them a tell letting them know I'm back.

18 hours ago, Carnifax said:

Just them being uber-efficient. Not some weird stalker thing. Has happened a few times to me 😃

Yeah, the weird stalker thing has for sure happened to me a few times, but I did mention 

On 9/9/2022 at 9:18 AM, UltraAlt said:

Are team leaders really monitoring people's globals?

.... and then inviting them as soon as the log back in with an alt?

Which seems to cover...

18 hours ago, Carnifax said:

No I mean when you ping them "brb", alt and as soon as you alt they invite you before you can do the lfg teleport thing to the TF contact.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I run a lot of PUGs. Please, keep in mind that team leads might be getting a swarm of IMs, which are rapidly scrolling up the screen.

Things get missed, people skipped over, etc...

There are a few courtesies I would like players to extend to team leaders. Notice, I said courtesies, not requirements.

First, please take 5 seconds and type out a simple invite request like "Any room?", "I would like to join", "Do you have room?", etc...

For instance, when I am asking for an invite. I always say, "Good day. Any room?"

Currently, I am getting more any "inv", "ready", and my favorite to today "X". That's it, just "X".

Second, if you're going to alt, then give the alt name. Sometimes all I get it "swapping", then nothing. Please, if you're swapping, at least give a partial name of the alt.

Third, same with LFG, take 5 seconds and type out that you're going to LFG to the zone. I will always save a spot in that case.

Fourth, if the team is nearly full. Please, make your way to the zone. I often have to say, "We'll start when everyone zones." Because someone is still out of zone when the team is full, because they are refreshing the exp buffs, training, or crafting. At least say what you are doing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

Currently, I am getting more any "inv", "ready", and my favorite to today "X". That's it, just "X".

Ha! I'm getting a lot of "Sure" responses. Sort of a resigned, well I got nothin' better to do, response.

5 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

Fourth, if the team is nearly full. Please, make your way to the zone.

Honestly, assume the team/league is always waiting on you to start and get there ASAP, perhaps even before you ask for an invite. There's an ugly bug that has to do with alignments somehow, and if someone on the team/league leaders team is out of zone they may not be able to invite others. I try to work around that by adding to LEAGUE anyone who sends me a tell (because they may be out of zone). But the bug can also pop up if someone on team 1 runs out of zone. It can put recruiting in a holding pattern.

Oklahoman, Okie, Vayne Glorious, Sooner Magic, Treehugging Wacko, Boy Band, etc

Farming Incarnate Salvage - 1 salvage roll every 15 minutes!  ||  Why NO TELLS to join your little MSR thing?

Using DEMORECORD To Find Who Is Sabotaging Lambda Badge Runs  ||  https://www.twitch.tv/oklahomancoh

Excelsior Bases: The Sooner State (OK-8602), Atlas Records (ROCK-29730), Generic Heroes (G-16581), Sooner Nation (SOONER-8490)

44 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

Honestly, assume the team/league is always waiting on you to start and get there ASAP, perhaps even before you ask for an invite. There's an ugly bug that has to do with alignments somehow, and if someone on the team/league leaders team is out of zone they may not be able to invite others. I try to work around that by adding to LEAGUE anyone who sends me a tell (because they may be out of zone). But the bug can also pop up if someone on team 1 runs out of zone. It can put recruiting in a holding pattern.

That is a nice trick using league to deal with alignment issues. I'll have to remember that.

1 hour ago, Oklahoman said:

There's an ugly bug that has to do with alignments somehow, and if someone on the team/league leaders team is out of zone they may not be able to invite others.

It's no bug. Villains can't be Hero teams; Heroes can't be on Villain teams.

To avoid confusion,

when you are a villain

- in a villain zone, you are a villain

- in a hero zone, you can't go there

- in a co-op zone, you are in co-op mode

when you are a rogue 

- in a villain zone, you are considered a villain for teaming

- in a hero zone, you are considered a hero for teaming

when you are a vigilante

- in a villain zone, you are considered a villain for teaming

- in a hero zone, you are a considered a hero for teaming

when  you are a hero

- in a villain zone, you can't go there

- in a hero zone, you are a hero

Co-op mode means  you can invite anyone to the team that is in the Co-op zone but the same restrictions above apply until the character enters the Co-op zone.

These are places like Pocket D, Ouroboros, Rikti War Zone, Hami raids and Praetorian areas :: First Ward, Night Ward

So there are really 3 sides to consider; Hero, Villain, and Co-op

[Praetorians?! I have no idea. They don't really have an alignment until they choose it at some level but I don't play them, so no idea. Maybe 15?]

As long as a character is anywhere in a hero zone they can be invited to a hero team.

As long as a character is in any co-op zone, you can join a co-op team <--- and this where some problems might happen.

- villains will be kicked from the team if the team lead is a hero, and they move to a hero zone. 

- if a rogue moves through something the game considers to be a villain zone while on a team lead by a hero, they will be kicked from the team. <--- and this is the tricky part.

------If you move from the villain side to your base, I think it considers your base to be villain to your character.

------You then move to the Pocket D to join a hero team with your rogue character. The hero team leader starts the mission and moves to a hero zone. You may remain on the team at this point, but I think if you move back to your base, it is still considered to be a villain zone as that is where you came into your base from in route to neutral/co-op territory. I'm pretty sure this is the case, but I haven't actually tested it (instead just asked for a re-invite once in a hero zone in this situation)

So if a rogue is in any hero zone, they should be safe to invite to the team regardless of which hero zone the team is currently located in.

• Thanks 1

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

When I lead iTrails, if someone asks me to save them a spot, I say "Sure!" I don't have any problem with it at all.

When there is only one spot left, and the person still has not joined, I send a courtesy tell to that player asking if they still intend to join. If they respond in a timely manner, I'll still save their spot but I'll put a time limit on it since the rest of the league is ready to go. Usually about 1 min. If they don't respond in a timely manner, I fill their spot with another player, and assume that they're busy and can't join anyway. 

If I don't know who I'm saving the spot for, I save them a spot until the last spot is filled. If they send me a tell informing me that the tell from character X is them, I'll invite them if there's still a spot open. If they never inform me of who they are, I just fill the spot. Fundamentally, it's up to them to make sure the leader knows who they are, it's not the leader's responsibility to hunt them down. So I don't worry much about it. It's on them.

As far as first come first served goes... in my LFG posts I ask players to Please Send me a Tell (PST). The first tell = the first served. Once the recruiting is in full swing and people start shouting out in broadcast for invites, I basically invite in the order I received a request for invite, I don't prioritize tells over broadcast or local messages. I look at my Global chat channel and whoever asked for invite first, whether tell or broadcast, gets it first; and thereafter I just go in order.  I also should mention that I typically don't see messages from people asking for an invite in the LFG chat channel. 

I don't have any problem with them sending me tells while I'm in the middle of a mission because the tells are saved in my chat, are gold and stand out, and are easy to find. Players need to know that If I don't respond right away, I'm probably in battle and can't. If I don't respond in 10 min, then their tell got by me and I don't even know they sent me one, and should probably send me another.

Now, I do prioritize messages from players within Ouroborus over LFG. I know many players really, really want to join a BAF. So much that they wait around in Ouroborus (or whatever zone I'm doing the trial in) until the league comes back from the mission. When the league finally does come back, I send a message to Broadcast so I can get any player waiting around in Ouroborus first. If a player is willing to wait around for 15 min to ensure they get a spot, I try to make sure they get that spot. They earned it with effort and time spent. Once I have all of them in Ouroborus, and there's usually not more than 3, I send a post to LFG.

Oakey, all of this is really dependent on how many tells I get before the iTrial starts. For the last couple years, I haven't gotten more than 2-3 tells per run asking to save spots. It's easy to adjust to. But if I start getting swamped with requests to save spots, I might have to change what I do. As you know, recruiting and organizing a league is not easy and there is a lot to juggle. Sometimes it's downright frantic! If I ever start feeling completely overloaded, I'd probably go to First message AFTER I start recruiting = the first invited, with no saving spots. I'd also change my LFG message to say get to Ouro and shout in broadcast for invite, rather than sending a tell. This method is the easiest for the leader after all.  

8 hours ago, KaizenSoze said:

For instance, when I am asking for an invite. I always say, "Good day. Any room?"

Oh, I got you beat! Lately I've been getting BLANK tells from people who want invites. Yep, blank. What the hell does that mean???? LOL

Edited by BlackSpectre
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

------If you move from the villain side to your base, I think it considers your base to be villain to your character.

This definitely seems to be true. I've popped into my base on my rogues and sent a tell asking for an invite to something hero side, and gotten the "can't invite enemy response" sent back to me and can't be invited until I move into a hero zone.

------You then move to the Pocket D to join a hero team with your rogue character. The hero team leader starts the mission and moves to a hero zone. You may remain on the team at this point, but I think if you move back to your base, it is still considered to be a villain zone as that is where you came into your base from in route to neutral/co-op territory. I'm pretty sure this is the case, but I haven't actually tested it (instead just asked for a re-invite once in a hero zone in this situation)

As for this one, I'm less sure about. I do not think I have had an issue on any of my rogues/vigilantes with not being able to use my base to go from zone to zone, but the teams I typically do that on are TF teams and not like, regular mission teams.

• Thumbs Up 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

16 minutes ago, biostem said:

I've gotten a few of those, as well as ones basically TELLING me to invite them.  😑 

"X" is pretty classic though. Very funny. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 2

49 minutes ago, BlackSpectre said:

Oakey, all of this is really dependent on how many tells I get before the iTrial starts. For the last couple years, I haven't gotten more than 2-3 tells per run asking to save spots. It's easy to adjust to. But if I start getting swamped with requests to save spots, I might have to change what I do. As you know, recruiting and organizing a league is not easy and there is a lot to juggle. Sometimes it's downright frantic! If I ever start feeling completely overloaded, I'd probably go to First message AFTER I start recruiting = the first invited, with no saving spots. I'd also change my LFG message to say get to Ouro and shout in broadcast for invite, rather than sending a tell. This method is the easiest for the leader after all.  

A couple of months ago I started only accepting requests for ITFs from within Cimerora. Too many times have players joined the team only for me to realize after several mins that the player doesn't have access to Cimerora. Then watching them fumble around trying to remember how or not follow instructions provided. Wasting more of the teams time.

Nobody is perfect, but take 10 seconds and check your LFG tab to see if you access to the ITF.

• Thumbs Up 2

I sympathize with the alt-ers lament that the only time something you really want is being offered, you are on the wrong alt.

I've been on both sides of this, and if I'm looking to join, I will always ask, "Could you save a spot for me while I switch to [name]?"  If they say yes then I'll log out and in and send a tell saying "Hi, this is my alt, I was [old name]."  And if it filled, no problem.

If someone is looking to join, I tell them I will try to hold a spot and ask them the name of the new character.  If it takes more than 30-60 seconds and I don't hear from them, I re-open the spot.

So far, so good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

36 minutes ago, KaizenSoze said:

Nobody is perfect, but take 10 seconds and check your LFG tab to see if you access to the ITF.

I don't know how recent the phenomena is, but lately I've seen people advertise that they're starting an ITF, but will only accept broadcasts from within Cimerora... so yeah.

Edited by biostem

14 minutes ago, biostem said:

I don't know how recent the phenomena is, but lately I've seen people advertise that they're starting an ITF, but will only accept broadcasts from within Cimerora... so yeah.

There has been an influx of newish/newly returned players recently, so I could see this being a reaction to that and just an evolution from "please only send tell once in Cim." Which makes sense since Cim is a co-op zone.

• Thumbs Up 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

15 hours ago, BlackSpectre said:

Oh, I got you beat! Lately I've been getting BLANK tells from people who want invites. Yep, blank. What the hell does that mean???? LOL

If it's Siber, I don't mind. We have this whole schtick we do. 🙂

Farming Incarnate Salvage - 1 salvage roll every 15 minutes!  ||  Why NO TELLS to join your little MSR thing?

Using DEMORECORD To Find Who Is Sabotaging Lambda Badge Runs  ||  https://www.twitch.tv/oklahomancoh

Excelsior Bases: The Sooner State (OK-8602), Atlas Records (ROCK-29730), Generic Heroes (G-16581), Sooner Nation (SOONER-8490)

16 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

It's no bug. Villains can't be Hero teams; Heroes can't be on Villain teams.

I may need a powerpoint or something with crayons to really understand what you put together there, but seems thorough. Here's my experience if I am in Ouro, for example:

• I invite Player A, who is not in Ouro, and they join the team but remain out of zone.
  • I invite Player B, who IS in Ouro, and get the error message: "Could not Invite Player B, You cannot make a co-op team unless all teammates are on the same map."
  • Same with Player C.
  • Player A gets in Ouro, and now I have no trouble inviting Players B and C.

This isn't a consistent experience, seems to depend on Player A's alignment. I can get around it if I invite Player A to LEAGUE rather than TEAM, since I think Player A is out of zone based on the fact they sent me a tell rather than posting in broadcast. If they are in zone, or once they get into zone, I can move them wherever I need. All of that seems like a bug to me.

16 hours ago, BlackSpectre said:

I haven't gotten more than 2-3 tells per run asking to save spots. It's easy to adjust to.

Oh, I agree it's not an enormous problem, like people having conversations in LFG. 🙂 Was just curious how others handle it.

1 hour ago, Oklahoman said:

I can get around it if I invite Player A to LEAGUE rather than TEAM, since I think Player A is out of zone based on the fact they sent me a tell rather than posting in broadcast. If they are in zone, or once they get into zone, I can move them wherever I need. All of that seems like a bug to me.

That’s what you guys meant! I’ve been scratching my head saying to myself “What the heck are they talking about? A League Invite doesn’t help…”.  Turns out I’ve never had the problem of not being able to invite someone to a league because I’ve always used League Invite. Didn’t even know it was an issue! LOL

What I don’t like about this mechanic is that it prevents me from moving players to that team when someone on that team is not in zone.  Organizing the league into teams while I’m recruiting helps me keep track of how many more spots I have to fill, and helps me not invite more than I have room for. It also gives me a chance to start balancing the league by swapping players around before the league is full. What I usually end up doing is moving every other player in that team to a 4th team, and leave the out-of-zone player alone in their own team. It’s a pain, and a little annoying, but I can deal…

oh! And I should mention that all the while that player is out of zone, my hand is hovering over the Kick button… 

Edited by BlackSpectre
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Oklahoman said:

I may need a powerpoint or something with crayons to really understand what you put together there, but seems thorough. Here's my experience if I am in Ouro, for example:

• I invite Player A, who is not in Ouro, and they join the team but remain out of zone.
  • I invite Player B, who IS in Ouro, and get the error message: "Could not Invite Player B, You cannot make a co-op team unless all teammates are on the same map."
  • Same with Player C.
  • Player A gets in Ouro, and now I have no trouble inviting Players B and C.

This isn't a consistent experience, seems to depend on Player A's alignment. I can get around it if I invite Player A to LEAGUE rather than TEAM, since I think Player A is out of zone based on the fact they sent me a tell rather than posting in broadcast. If they are in zone, or once they get into zone, I can move them wherever I need. All of that seems like a bug to me.

On 9/16/2022 at 7:49 PM, UltraAlt said:

So there are really 3 sides to consider; Hero, Villain, and Co-op

Was player A a hero or a villain? 

Your character must have been the same alignment as A if you were able to invite them to the team while they were out of the coop zone.

So we will call your character and player A's character alignment X. 

Since A isn't in the coop zone, you have created an alignment X team even you are in a co-op zone.

Are players B and C a villain when you are a hero or a hero when you are a villain?

I'm assuming they are, so we will call that alignment Y (they are the opposite alignment of alignment X).

Alignement Y can't join your alignment X team.

However, once all the alignment X players are in the Co-op zone, the team becomes a co-op team.

Once it becomes a co-op team you can invite alignment Y players to the team if they are in the co-op zone.

I'm not 100% sure as I don't make teams in co-op zones very often.

I'm assuming you can't invite anyone to a co-op team that is outside of the co-op zone if you already have heroes and villains on the team.

But, because the way the system works in weird ways sometimes, you possibly can invite alignment X players that aren't in the co-op zone to the co-op team. 

20 hours ago, Oklahoman said:

I can get around it if I invite Player A to LEAGUE rather than TEAM, since I think Player A is out of zone based on the fact they sent me a tell rather than posting in broadcast. If they are in zone, or once they get into zone, I can move them wherever I need

I don't do leaguing the much, but a league is broken up into individual teams. And, as you have indicate, you have moved them out of your team into another team within a league.

Sounds like an interesting experiment to form a league in a co-op zone, move all the heroes to one team, all the villains to another team, move the heroes to hero zone, the villains to a villain zone, and see if the league is still a league.