Trying to find the easiest build for an impaired player

sutasafaia

So without getting into a ton of detail, I have some hand issues, they don't work right. Haven't played this game in a very long time, trying to figure out the build that requires the least amount of apm that can still be succesful, preferably with solo as the target since I tend to not be comfortable playing with other people due to said hand issues generally making me play fairly underperforming. Tanker seems like the best bet because the defenses would make it more forgiving than other classes to play. 

Back when I used to play the game, I was WP/SS as WP was the most passive power set tanker had at the time (at least I think it was?). Plus the regen/stamina regen made it easier to play. ith all the new updates this game has gotten thanks to the new servers I wouldn't really know if this is still the case, so I figured my best bet was to ask the people who actually play the game 🙂. I am not particularly attached to any secondary and am completely open to suggestion there, but it would need to be one that doesn't rely on fast actions or combo chains or the like, since I tend to have a lot of difficulty actually pulling those off properly. I would likely not choose SS again considering the crash annoys the heck out of me. It might be minor in the grand scheme of things but nothing annoys me more than having to basically stop playing for the 10s or whatever it was waiting for the crash to pass. Personal prefernce I guess.

Thank you in advcance. I really want to get back into this game again but getting some ideas for primary/secondary will help me out immensely with my ability to enjoy the game.

At the risk to re-re-repeating myself, Fire Armor/Ice Melee. I parrot this so much people must be sick of it, but I find Fire Armor helps bridging the gap that Tanker damage has while Ice Melee (Ice Patch specifically) adds a layer of extra security. Ice Patch is like having another defensive toggle. Which is to say that all by itself it won't perform miracles, but then we have our actual toggles stacking their protective powers on top of it.

Attack cycle is simple as well. Freezing Touch, Ice Sword, Frost, Ice Sword. Repeat. Add Burn when ever it is up. Ice Patch if in trouble or if foes are troublesome, or you just want to watch mobs breakdance over a field of napalm.

There are tons of other good combos though and you will get good suggestions in this thread. Invulnerability and Shield Defense and such. In my particular case I have played those combos and the damage just turned me off. I can't deal with slowly whittling enemies down when in solo mode (in teams it does not matter since the team is helping).

Which leads me to my other suggestion that is Fire Armor/Martial Arts since the two complement each other.

So with all of that said only go for Fire Armor if killing speed matters, but if that was the case you would probably be over the Brute or Scrapper forums.

If you're considering a Tanker, you should also consider a Sentinel. They're also very forgiving. Sentinel's are ranged attack + Armour. Some armours have minimal clicks, while others are toggle and forget. With regards to your impairment, at least you won't have to worry about running after your targets. You can just stay in place with Hover and fire away with minimal movement.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to add Radiation Melee to the list of secondaries to look at. As Irradiation Ground act like a second damage aura. It can be paired with any of the primary power sets (adding additional damage auras ("passive damage"), and if you're mostly soloing, you'll have time to trim the build into working with your playstyle. One of the things I like most about Radiation Melee, is that it can add a "damage aura" to sets that don't have one (Inv, WP, SR, SD).

Nothing warms your opponent like Fiery Melee.

Tanker Tuesday and Tanker Tuesday Tour Info:

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

Special weekend run for Reunion/Europe

I'll second thinking about Sentinels.  But if you want to do tanker, I'd say Willpower, Super Reflexes, or Shield paired with Radiation Melee or Spines.

Shield and SR have a click power, but it's the mez protection, so you'll want to set it on auto anyway, Willpower only has the T9 as a click and it's not *strictly* necessary, especially if you're soloing and not trying to push your limits with difficulty (which is sounds like you aren't).  Radiation and Spines both have a toggle damage aura to help with one less click attack.

Stone Armor without taking Granite would be another possibility.  It has a click heal, but  it's really a +max HP power, so you may want to set it to auto.  It has the advantage over the other 3 sets in that its taunt aura is a damage aura, so you'll have 2 damage auras to help kill mobs if you need to slow down your attack chain.

What this team needs is more Defenders

Super reflexes gets very tanky with almost zero interaction required. It probably pairs best with an attack set that provides some healing so that would be radiation melee or dark melee. Both are fairly straightforward to use but as mentioned above the nod might go to rad for the passive damage aura. Then again I find myself changing targets a lot on rad melee hunting down the contaminated enemies. Dark melee has a weaker heal but you can hit anyone to activate it.

@sutasafaia, I would recommend WP,  then followed by SR. I have a WP/Staff tank that is VERY durable. I lost the tip of my left index finger, so sometimes it is a little struggle for me to use that finger. You could pair it with Staff, Radiation Melee,  or perhaps Spines? I mention those last 2 because of their damage aura. Staff can give you +Defense and +Resistance.  Broadsword/Katana can also give you a little +Defense. Claws would give you +Damage in Follow Up.

I thoroughly enjoy my WP/Staff. You hit EVERYTHING and it's just a fun set. WP is also "set and forget", allowing you to focus on your attacks.

Holler at my in game if you want/need any help with anything . I'm on Excelsior.  @Scarlett Angel

Thank you for all the advice so far, I've been playing with Mids, doing some looking around, and of course reading all your ideas. I am fairly sure WP, Invuln, or SR is going to be the set I pick for primary due to their mostly passive nature (Dark is actually up there as well but I'm honestly just not that big a fan of Dark). Honestly leaning more towards Invul or WP over SR but it's still there. Secondary is still very up in the air. MA seems nice for the easy defense bonus but a lot of secondary sets obviously have all sorts of benefits. Not to mention MA has pretty poor AoE and I will likely end up raising the number of mobs because tanking more mobs is more fun 😛 I suppose I need to figure out which ones mesh best with those primaries.

Edited by sutasafaia

1 hour ago, sutasafaia said:

Thank you for all the advice so far, I've been playing with Mids, doing some looking around, and of course reading all your ideas. I am fairly sure WP, Invuln, or SR is going to be the set I pick for primary due to their mostly passive nature (Dark is actually up there as well but I'm honestly just not that big a fan of Dark). Honestly leaning more towards Invul or WP over SR but it's still there. Secondary is still very up in the air. MA seems nice for the easy defense bonus but a lot of secondary sets obviously have all sorts of benefits. Not to mention MA has pretty poor AoE and I will likely end up raising the number of mobs because tanking more mobs is more fun 😛 I suppose I need to figure out which ones mesh best with those primaries.

Between the PBAoE in MA and Cross Punch, you can actually get pretty acceptable AoE damage on MA.  Here's my planned build for mine, I based it off of my Inv/SS tank which is similarly AoE impaired.

Blue Paragon - Tanker (Invulnerability).mxd

What this team needs is more Defenders

You might want to take a look at SR/RadM Tank. I've got two of them and even after a long day of typing even I can pilot one. I like them so much I've got two of them. 

The IR for taunting & RS for Heal. 

Set the mez protection to auto and off you go. 

Use these different Teleport binds to move to the next, in line of sight, mob quickly. Since you're soloing, drop one that works with your travel power in tray 1 for quick access. 

/macro_image "SorceryPool_Translocation" "SPT" "powexec_location target Translocation"

/macro_image "Experimentation_Jaunt" "JNT" "powexec_location target Jaunt"

/macro_image "Teleportation_Teleport" "TP" "powexec_location target Teleport"

You could even use the +forward command to make make the powers cycle through the attacks.

I can post a build and more binds later if you're interested. 

9 hours ago, sutasafaia said:

So without getting into a ton of detail, I have some hand issues, they don't work right. Haven't played this game in a very long time, trying to figure out the build that requires the least amount of apm that can still be succesful, preferably with solo as the target since I tend to not be comfortable playing with other people due to said hand issues generally making me play fairly underperforming. Tanker seems like the best bet because the defenses would make it more forgiving than other classes to play. 

Back when I used to play the game, I was WP/SS as WP was the most passive power set tanker had at the time (at least I think it was?). Plus the regen/stamina regen made it easier to play. ith all the new updates this game has gotten thanks to the new servers I wouldn't really know if this is still the case, so I figured my best bet was to ask the people who actually play the game 🙂. I am not particularly attached to any secondary and am completely open to suggestion there, but it would need to be one that doesn't rely on fast actions or combo chains or the like, since I tend to have a lot of difficulty actually pulling those off properly. I would likely not choose SS again considering the crash annoys the heck out of me. It might be minor in the grand scheme of things but nothing annoys me more than having to basically stop playing for the 10s or whatever it was waiting for the crash to pass. Personal prefernce I guess.

Thank you in advcance. I really want to get back into this game again but getting some ideas for primary/secondary will help me out immensely with my ability to enjoy the game.

Perhaps this suggestion doesnt have applicability for your condition and I know everyone is first suggesting power sets etc, but would perhaps a Razer orbweaver/tarterus peripheral help your needs?   I knew someone years ago who played wow who had some issues who found that razer peripheral more accommodating to their needs.    Just thought I would  mention it at least.

19 hours ago, sutasafaia said:

I really want to get back into this game again but getting some ideas for primary/secondary will help me out immensely with my ability to enjoy the game.

What about willpower as your primary and savage melee as your secondary?  As you mentioned, willpower has a lot of "set it and forget it" powers, and with savage melee, while there is a set mechanic, it kind of rewards you for *not* utilizing it - you get stacking endurance cost and recharge time reductions from building up stacks of blood frenzy, and if you don't worry about using the powers that consume those stacks once you have 5 of them, you can continue to benefit from those buffs.  Further, its ultimate power, savage leap, is a fairly quick-recharging power, (by tier 9 standards anyway), which allows you to quickly and easily close the distance to an enemy, and deal some AoE damage in the process.  Use it in conjunction with a bind or macro to quickly and easily target the nearest enemy, and you have a convenient way to getting yourself to the next group of enemies.  There's also very little downtime with this set.  I tend to like this powerset with radiation armor, but I see no reason it couldn't work well with willpower...

Edited by biostem

I would probably choose Invuln, SR, Shield or WP as my primary and Rad melee as my secondary for a less clicky laid back Tanker. Rad melee has slow animations and isn't too clicky. You will need to sort the endurance out with a good build though. Electric armor could be good with RadM also as it would sort the endurance.

Shield/RadM would probably be my top choice. But nothing in it so go with what you prefer.

A slower but hefty attack set like War Mace might be easier since it will offer less clicking. The only con there is you would want to lean on a Primary with +recharge.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."