Focused Feedback: Dominator Illusion Control

9 hours ago, Major_Decoy said:

Only level 4 so far, but the Deceive animation feels really long when I'm using it in melee. Any chance of the stalker placate animation instead?

... why? It's a confuse animation. It's the same confuse animation Controllers have for Deceive.  It's a ranged control, not a melee attack.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Can you reword the description on Deceive?  Currently it says:

• image.png.8668782b9b09c8444ac7a8707a248718.png  Deceive  Ranged, Foe Confuse
    • You can Deceive an enemy into believing their friends are not who they appear to be. If successful, the enemy will ignore you and attack their own allies. If you Deceive someone before they have noticed you, your presence will continue to be masked. You will not receive any Experience Points for foes defeated by a Deceived enemy.

The last line, "[y]ou will not receive any Experience Points for foes defeated by a Deceived enemy."  has always been wrong.  Its not that you do not get xp if a Deceived enemy defeats a foe (Ie. don't let a Deceived enemy get the last shot in), you do not receive xp for damage done by a Deceived enemy when a foe is defeated.  Off the top of my head, it can be more accurately reworded to: "Damage done by a Deceived enemy will reduce the total amount of Experience Points awarded when a foe is defeated."

Also, this update does not include any of the adjectives as to the amount of damage each power delivers.  While they aren't great, they are helpful to have an idea of the magnitude of damage from one power to another in a set. 

Thank you for all you do!

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, blue4333 said:

This is just spitballing and wishlisting but could Superior Invisiblity be swapped out for another soft control? Like an AOE immobilize or something. Or would that be too strong for the set?

Actually, I would suggest against this.  Superior Invisibility is a great power, and a great place for a Luck of the Gambler/Increase Recharge.  A good number of dominator builds I've seen add Stealth in to mule in the recharge.  I'd rather have Superior Invisibility, a far better power, and one that is iconic to the set remain.  Admittedly, I generally skip the Immobilize powers on my dominators.

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, Greycat said:

... why? It's a confuse animation. It's the same confuse animation Controllers have for Deceive.  It's a ranged control, not a melee attack.

And controllers have a secondary filled with buffs and debuffs. Controllers have different needs than Dominators. Illusion control for Dominators is not the same set as it is for Controllers.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 3

1 hour ago, Major_Decoy said:

And controllers have a secondary filled with buffs and debuffs. Controllers have different needs than Dominators. Illusion control for Dominators is not the same set as it is for Controllers.

And Dominators have an entire secondary filled with attacks, melee and ranged. They don't need confuse suddenly changed to be that much faster for Dominators. It works fine with the *exact same animation* for Mind.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 hours ago, Greycat said:

And Dominators have an entire secondary filled with attacks, melee and ranged. They don't need confuse suddenly changed to be that much faster for Dominators. It works fine with the *exact same animation* for Mind.

You asked why I was in melee. I was in melee because I have a secondary filled with melee and ranged attacks. And I while I appreciate that Deceive is not interruptable, it is a longish animation to sit through during a melee. I was routinely taking hits while it was animating.

This is a feedback thread and I am giving feedback. I am not insisting that they change it, I don't have that type of power. I am making a suggestion and I understand if they ignore it.

I have a mind/savage dominator. Mind Control is a different power set. Mind control can have a sleep and a hold at level 2, both of which animate faster than Confuse and Deceive. Sure, sleep isn't great on teams, but for soloing, I'm able to sleep one enemy, hold the other and attack the third. Deceive is nice too, I can hold one enemy, Deceive the other, and attack the third, but, as I said, it seems like a longish animation. It would be nice if it was faster.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/4/2022 at 5:33 PM, The Curator said:

Dominator Proliferation: Illusion Control

• New primary for Dominators. This version of the set does not get access to Spectral Wounds nor Group Invisibility. Instead, it has new powers called Spectral Wall and Gleam. Also, Dominator's version of Phantom Army has its pets not taunt, but rather have attacks utilizing mez and soft control effects.

You can manipulate light and sound to manifest all sorts of Illusions, aiding your allies as well as deceiving your foes.

Powers:

• image.png.2cc7a519a4f0e30dde1ea440f5f56a23.png  Blind  Ranged (Targeted AoE), DMG(Psionic), Foe Hold/Sleep
    • Painfully Blinds a single targeted foe so severely that they are rendered helpless. Blind is so bright that additional foes may also be blinded, though they will not take any damage, and attacking them will free them from the effects.

• image.png.e5f0998bcb46d187ed3be9b53b8c5059.png  Spectral Wall  Ranged, DoT (Psionic), Foe Immobilize, -ToHit
    • Creates an illusionary wall of specters that prevents enemies from moving. As the foe is surrounded, they take psionic damage over time.
  • image.png.8668782b9b09c8444ac7a8707a248718.png  Deceive  Ranged, Foe Confuse
    • You can Deceive an enemy into believing their friends are not who they appear to be. If successful, the enemy will ignore you and attack their own allies. If you Deceive someone before they have noticed you, your presence will continue to be masked. You will not receive any Experience Points for foes defeated by a Deceived enemy.
  • image.png.02cae67867563200764381537803c1d5.png  Spectral Terror  Summon Terror: Ranged Fear, -ToHit
    • You can create an illusion of unspeakable Terror. The manifestation is so horrible that it caused most foes to tremble helplessly in terror. The Spectral Terror may also Terrify individual foes, causing them to run away in panic.
  • image.png.63c3c7e297397ba1235b3285156661ca.png  Superior Invisibility  Toggle: Self Stealth, +DEF(All)
    • You can bend light around yourself to become completely Invisible. While this power is active, you are all but impossible to detect, and have an extremely high Defense bonus to all attacks. Superior Invisibility is the only toggle invisibility power that allows you to attack while it is active, although you will lose some of your defense bonus if you do so.

• image.png.31c960a62402d58729216a3bd8f88d70.png  Gleam  Ranged (Targeted AoE), DMG(Psionic), Foe Disorient
    • Multiple flashing lights go off around enemies, disorienting and damaging them. Gleam deals minimal Psionic damage, and can Disorient all affected targets for a good while.

• image.png.1fabbdb5a80b6f022a8b2929ba01ff37.png  Phantom Army  Summon Decoys: Ranged DMG(Psionic)
    • You can fabricate 3 Phantom heroes around a targeted foe. These Phantoms are not real, and are indestructible. Though they deal damage, it is illusory and will heal if the victim survives long enough. Phantoms are short lived and cannot be buffed or healed.

• image.png.873715c711d4c04ffe32217b6528128d.png  Flash  PBAoE, Foe Hold
    • Generates a brilliant flash of light around you that blinds nearby foes. Flashed foes are rendered helpless and unable to defend themselves.
  • image.png.a5e0d9f236ef5c1580fe26dc88e6405c.png  Phantasm  Summon Phantasm: Ranged, DMG(Smash/Energy/Psionic)
    • You can construct a powerful entity composed of pure light. Although made of light, the Phantasm is tangible and has powerful Energy attacks. The Phantasm can also fly and summon duplicates of itself. The duplicates are intangible, and cannot be harmed. The duplicates' attacks deal illusory damage similar to that dealt by Spectral Wounds. Only the original Phantasm can be healed and buffed. Type ''/release_pets'' in the chat window to release all your pets.

Yes, now please GOD do this for troller version too. Terr should always have been WAY earlier and flash at 26. And aoe disorient for group invis? uh, yes please.

EDIT: GRRR keyboard!

Edited by WindDemon21
  • Like 1

So, Spectral Wall replaces Spectral Wounds... Immobilize replacing ephemeral damage... not major, but an improvement (would be bigger on Troller)...
Then Gleam replaces Group Invisibility... A TAoE Stun replacing a really nice group defense and stealth clicky (that stacks on other stealth powers)... not a fan, but it seems popular, and pertty...

Phantom Army no longer generates aggro in the same way... I don't like it, but I understand...

The re-order mostly makes sense...

As someone who mains an Illusion Control Troller, this doesn't feel like Illusion Control; it feels like a traditional control set that looks like Illusion Control...

Edited by Zepp
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

Dominator's Phantom Army Powers are little different from that of Controllers.  Arguably there's 2 more secondary control centric choices:

• Punch
  • Energy Punch (disorient)
  • Ice Sword
  • Hurl
  • Power Bolt
  • Ice Blast 
  • Lightning Bolt
  • Hydro Blast (knockdown)

Controller version:

• Punch
  • Fire Sword (-def if that -def change goes live for sets)
  • Ice Sword
  • Hurl
  • Power Bolt
  • Ice Blast 
  • Lightning Bolt
  • Fire Blast 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Sanguinesun said:

Dominator's Phantom Army Powers are little different from that of Controllers.  Arguably there's 2 more secondary control centric choices:

• Punch
  • Ice Sword
  • Hurl
  • Power Bolt
  • Ice Blast 
  • Lightning Bolt

Controller version:

• Punch
  • Ice Sword
  • Hurl
  • Power Bolt
  • Ice Blast 
  • Lightning Bolt
  • Fire Blast 

That's interesting, I wouldn't've thought to check the Phantom Army powers. This is good though, the little bit of stun and knockdown edges it forward a bit to make up for the lack of taunt. I do think it is another reason to warrant renaming the power.

On 10/4/2022 at 5:33 PM, The Curator said:

• image.png.a5e0d9f236ef5c1580fe26dc88e6405c.png  Phantasm  Summon Phantasm: Ranged, DMG(Smash/Energy/Psionic)
    • You can construct a powerful entity composed of pure light. Although made of light, the Phantasm is tangible and has powerful Energy attacks. The Phantasm can also fly and summon duplicates of itself. The duplicates are intangible, and cannot be harmed. The duplicates' attacks deal illusory damage similar to that dealt by Spectral Wounds. Only the original Phantasm can be healed and buffed. Type ''/release_pets'' in the chat window to release all your pets.

Can you also PLEASE fix Phantasm dumb ai/powers in both versions including controllers. This has always been the DUMBEST pet because he constantly melees even though he has no melee attack and has extremely low armors. The worst part, is it also ruins his energy torrent from hitting the mob because it's a cone, and he's in melee.

Please fix his AI, and honestly change Energy torrent to explosive blast with the same stats so even if he does end up in melee it's less detrimental. And yes dear God, also change his attacks to knockDOWN..

As with all knockdown in the game as well, make it like mag .01 so that it doesn't stack into knockback. (DEAR GOD also do this for gremlins, on top of fixing it/gravs immob to need -kb, they constantly stack knockback and are unusable due to this without the OF proc, because for some dumb reason they don't take kb sets, or even end mod sets)

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, WindDemon21 said:

Can you also PLEASE fix Phantasm dumb ai/powers in both versions including controllers. This has always been the DUMBEST pet because he constantly melees even though he has no melee attack and has extremely low armors. The worst part, is it also ruins his energy torrent from hitting the mob because it's a cone, and he's in melee.

Please fix his AI, and honestly change Energy torrent to explosive blast with the same stats so even if he does end up in melee it's less detrimental. And yes dear God, also change his attacks to knockDOWN..

As with all knockdown in the game as well, make it like mag .01 so that it doesn't stack into knockback. (DEAR GOD also do this for gremlins, on top of fixing it/gravs immob to need -kb, they constantly stack knockback and are unusable due to this without the OF proc, because for some dumb reason they don't take kb sets, or even end mod sets)

TLDR: Give Phantasm Energy Punch if they are going to run into melee.

One of the aspects with powers that we seem to forget is that each tweak for the players also goes to the enemies.  One of the most avoided enemy groups in the game is the Carnival of Shadows.  Mainly because they are a pain to fight and, if Phantasm's AI is fixed fighting Master Illusionists is going to be more annoying because their Phantasm will stay at range rather than charging forward making it easier to take it out.  I hate the Phantasm charging into Melee for my Ill/TA Controller, really like that stupidity for when I'm fighting Carnival enemies.  

For Dominators vs. Controllers, I play in Melee or close range by choice a lot with my Dominators, never with my Controllers.  So, having Phantasm running in with my Dominator would not bother me if it could actually do something meaningful once it got into Melee range.  Thus, really, if it isn't going to stay at range, it should have a melee power.  Yes, it will make Carnival enemies tougher, but, frankly, I would rather have their Phants run into melee, even if they have an attack, than stay at range.  Their harder to take out if they stay away.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/5/2022 at 10:28 PM, Major_Decoy said:

Only level 4 so far, but the Deceive animation feels really long when I'm using it in melee. Any chance of the stalker placate animation instead?

Honestly, it's that long animation on why I don't use it on my troller. 😛

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, laudwic said:

TLDR: Give Phantasm Energy Punch if they are going to run into melee

TLDR? You should. He shouldn't melee AT ALL. Hence the issue with energy torrent, but also, he's too dang squishy to do it. That's why he has the decoy. Which swapping for explosive blast helps the decoy too. Honestly adding energy punch for it would be good, and flag phantasms ai to only use in melee like bots do.

7 minutes ago, laudwic said:

One of the aspects with powers that we seem to forget is that each tweak for the players also goes to the enemies.  One of the most avoided enemy groups in the game is the Carnival of Shadows.  Mainly because they are a pain to fight and, if Phantasm's AI is fixed fighting Master Illusionists is going to be more annoying because their Phantasm will stay at range rather than charging forward making it easier to take it out.  I hate the Phantasm charging into Melee for my Ill/TA Controller, really like that stupidity for when I'm fighting Carnival enemies.  

Yeah this is a non issue. I guarantee, nobody but you thinks "carnies suck because of the phantasms"

I would SOOOO happily have this fix meaning that carnie phantasms stay at range. The debuff on their dark servant has ALWAYS been much worse.

9 hours ago, Sanguinesun said:

• Punch
  • Ice Sword
  • Hurl
  • Power Bolt
  • Ice Blast 
  • Lightning Bolt

Controller version:

• Punch
  • Ice Sword
  • Hurl
  • Power Bolt
  • Ice Blast 
  • Lightning Bolt
  • Fire Blast 

The controller versions don't get any of the special effects related to their powers (their ice doesn't slow, their power bolt doesn't knockdown, etc.), so I can't see them suddenly getting -def in their fire sword attacks.

Dom versions are getting all the special effects, which is what makes it very different.  

Edit:  Looks like damage type is still psi though from CoD, think that might have changed from when I last looked.

Edited by Riverdusk

Okay, level 10 now, going through the shooting stars missions. Spectral Terror is a life-saver. It's kind of like Mass Hypnosis was for my Mind/Savage. I'm able to control a spawn of three minions and work it down one at a time. And it's especially nice since it seems that the Arachnos Lieutenents in the shooting star missions are downgraded bosses and have hold resistance of at least three. I can't lock the lieutenents down with a hold, so the only thing saving me is the fear and the -to-hit in Spectral Terror. I am barely using Deceive anymore.

Edited by Major_Decoy
Edit: When I am using Deceive, it's still typically in melee and the animation is still uncofortably long
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Major_Decoy said:

Okay, level 10 now, going through the shooting stars missions. Spectral Terror is a life-saver. It's kind of like Mass Hypnosis was for my Mind/Savage. I'm able to control a spawn of three minions and work it down one at a time. And it's especially nice since it seems that the Arachnos Lieutenents in the shooting star missions are downgraded bosses and have hold resistance of at least three. I can't lock the lieutenents down with a hold, so the only thing saving me is the fear and the -to-hit in Spectral Terror. I am barely using Deceive anymore.

At level 10 it's impossible, but slotting Devastation (and possibly Lockdown, but it isn't as good) into Blind is really useful. The AoE sleep on that power is great too (if you pay attention). Deceive is best used before the fight starts (because of the long cooldown) and then concentrating on the mobs attacked by the deceived mob is very effective. Moving Spooky down to an early tier makes this version much more helpful as a leveling tool. You may find you can dump him later, but for leveling that is a great change.

I hope that helps with your testing.

• Thanks 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

Okay, so, level 16 and I've gone through the Chernobog and Veles arcs. I am using Superior Invisibility, Blind, and Spectral terror. Chernobog fell without a hospital trip, but it did take a whole tray of inspirations, two purples at a time. The fun thing about Superior Invisibility is I fought three skulls in the middle of a dance crowd and none of the civilians noticed. They never screamed, never ran off. I got entirely wrecked by the Gravedigger Assailants and Death Head Soldiers overlooking the dance floor. They seemed keyed to aggro if any one of the three was attacked, and they have a ranged preference so I couldn't seem get them clustered enough to hit them all with the same control. I probably should have been using Deceive against them. I honestly had an easier time with Veles.

Level 18, I've turn bosses on when soloing. I finished the Shining Stars arcs and have moved onto Faultline.

Build:

Blind: 5 slots, Ascendencey of the Dominator: Con/Acc, End/Rech, Acc/Con/End, Rech/+dam

Deceive: empty

Spectral Terror: 4 slots, Cloud Senses: To hit debuff, acc/to hit, to hit/end/rech, acc/end/rech

Superior Invisibility: empty

Gleam: Acc/Dam

Phantom Army: Acc/Dam

Thunder Kick: Smashing Haymaker, full set

Spinning Kick: Eradication Dam, Dam/Rech, Acc/Rech, Dam/Acc/Rech, Dam/Acc/Rech/End

Envenomed Blade: Empty

Boxing: Acc/Dam

Tough: Unbreakable Guard: Res, Res/End

Health: Panacea: Chance for health/end

Stamina; Performance Shifter chance for End

With this slotting, I was able to take down Nocturne only using four small purples, with the fight ending just before Phantom Army ran out.

(With only Blind and Spectral terror slotted, I got Nocturne down to half health when Phantom Army ran out and then face planted)

For spawns:

1 lieutenant, 1 minion: I just use blind and and my attacks

3 minions: I lead with Spectral Terror, then blind and attack one at a time.

1 Boss, 1 minion: If Phantom Army is up, Phantom Army, blind, and attacks. If Domination is up, Domination, blind, and attacks.

This is a really solo friendly set so far. At this point, I'm only using Deceive if Blind misses or the enemy is resistant to holds. I'm having fun.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Managed to crack open my old PC as I couldn’t get the HC launcher working (and broke island rum) on my Mac.

To echo @Major_Decoy this is very solo friendly. Running Ill/energy. Played a few levels in the mid teens and now mid 20s.

- I’ve never seen Blind’s AoE sleep thing - is there normally a visual cue? (My first illusion toon)

- The visuals of gleam are nice but I think it’s the shout animation? Could the gleaming blast throw type animation from PBs be used? Not the energy bit Ofc.

- it is a shame that domination doesn’t make Terror any stronger but here we are. It is MVP atm. Currently gleam, blind and wall are the only powers helped by dom (depending on your secondary)

- I tried out posi 1. My clone didn’t use PA. But might just be rotation.

- Flash feels good.

- Theres currently nothing with any -fly, unlike other dom sets, it might be a bit much to give it to spectral wall. But something to think about.

I’ll not lie: struggling to get my head around having Phantasm so early, but the levels powers become available is another feedback topic.

My biggest criticism is that it’s not live yet.

Edited by Xiddo
  • Like 1

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png