LOTG Question

Ghost

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Is it pointless to slot multiple LOTG Global Recharges?

Or should I be cramming as many into a build a possible?

They aren't unique so the bonus stacks up to 5 times.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

It's a very rare build for me to not have 5 LoTGs slotted.  In fact at level 50 I usually have vengeance and invis friend as mule powers and never even put in my tray.  Their purpose to the build is to hold a LotG in the initial slot and nothing else.  

• Thanks 3

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

They stack to 5x and can be a easy way (depending on your AT / Powers ) to cram on Recharge.  If Recharge is really synergistic to your build probably a good idea.  High Recharge is almost always good in CoX, as in most games.  But not always.  And there are balance points in a build where enough has to be enough and you need to get other build goals going.  Cannot make good soup with just salt.  

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Shred Monkey said:

It's a very rare build for me to not have 5 LoTGs slotted.  In fact at level 50 I usually have vengeance and invis friend as mule powers and never even put in my tray.  Their purpose to the build is to hold a LotG in the initial slot and nothing else.  

it makes me sad that you don't keep vengeance in your tray.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What this team needs is more Defenders

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

You can have up to 5 of the same "buff", unless it explicitly says it is unique and you can only have 1 of them, and you'll need to slot them into different powers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Depends on your character needs.

In general, the more recharge the better and since that enhancement also buffs the defense of the power its a win win.

Most have at least one skill that does amazing damage that has a long recharge time.

Personally, the only reason I wouldn't slot it would be if I were using another set that also had increase recharge in the set bonuses with better buffs than luck of the gambler.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Thanks for the replies 🙂

Ive been slotting it everywhere I can, and then today I was thinking about how to slot a new toon and started to wonder if I had been wasting them

A lot really depends upon what kind of character you are playing - if you have defense powers in your primary or secondary, then you're already set.  If not, hover, evasive maneuvers, maneuvers, vengeance, combat jumping, weave, stealth, grant invisibility, and infiltration are great options, (not to mention if you have access to an APP or PPP that have additional forms of +DEF)...

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Mezmera said:

These 7.5% bonuses have a separate rule of 5 from the regular 7.5% you can get from sets

They don't, though. LotG follows the same rule that all the rest do. The rule is that you can't have more than 5 bonuses that have the same name as each other. It has nothing to do with the power of the bonus with the way it's set up. LotG's 7.5% bonus has a different name than the 7.5% recharge bonus you get from some sets and that's why they don't impede each other.

Sure, it's easier to just refer to them by their bonus value in the "rule of 5" shorthand comparison since almost all of the different values have unique names. This is a case where it's better to be clear about how the system actually works though. There's no special exception for LotG's Global Recharge bonus unless you want to consider the fact it's essentially a Set Bonus with a Single IO comprising the entire set (at least insofar as it's seen by the game).

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

8 hours ago, ForeverLaxx said:

They don't, though. LotG follows the same rule that all the rest do. The rule is that you can't have more than 5 bonuses that have the same name as each other. It has nothing to do with the power of the bonus with the way it's set up. LotG's 7.5% bonus has a different name than the 7.5% recharge bonus you get from some sets and that's why they don't impede each other.

Sure, it's easier to just refer to them by their bonus value in the "rule of 5" shorthand comparison since almost all of the different values have unique names. This is a case where it's better to be clear about how the system actually works though. There's no special exception for LotG's Global Recharge bonus unless you want to consider the fact it's essentially a Set Bonus with a Single IO comprising the entire set (at least insofar as it's seen by the game).

My favorite kind of correct: thoroughly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

12 hours ago, ForeverLaxx said:

They don't, though. LotG follows the same rule that all the rest do. The rule is that you can't have more than 5 bonuses that have the same name as each other.

I'm reminded of that scene in Futurama: "Bureaucrat Hermes, you are TECHNICALLY correct - which is the best kind of correct."

Anyway, go nuts with the Luck of the Gambler (up to five).  The only way to have too much recharge is if you don't have the END to support it - and you can build for that.

• Haha 2

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

15 hours ago, ForeverLaxx said:

Well this is my mind, blown.  I had no idea that the "rule of 5" was based on anything other than the bonus amount.  

And now I'm wondering about all those builds where I didn't bother taking a fifth (or even fourth) LotG +rech because I had 7.5% recharge bonuses elsewhere... 

• Thanks 1

And all this time I thought "cannot have more than one slotted" meant the entire build, not 'the same power'.  

WHOOSH! That was the sound of a key concept of set IO's going right over my head all these years. 

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

On 10/19/2022 at 8:23 PM, ForeverLaxx said:

Yes thanks my take was the summarized version of what you've just said.  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

2 minutes ago, ForeverLaxx said:

You have a strange definition of "summary" then.

summary

sŭm′ə-rē

noun

1. A brief statement mentioning the main points of something.
  2. An abridged or condensed statement or account; an abstract, abridgment, or compendium containing the sum or substance of a fuller statement.
  3. In law, a short application to a court or judge, without the formality of a full proceeding.
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

@Frostbiter I'm pretty sure Mezmera can handle being wrong on her own. She doesn't need you to be wrong for her.

For the record, you don't "summarize" something with incorrect information. There is no "separate rule" as she claimed, which my post was to clarify that misinformation. If you want to act like you have all the answers, it's best to actually have all the answers.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

4 minutes ago, ForeverLaxx said:

@Frostbiter I'm pretty sure Mezmera can handle being wrong on her own. She doesn't need you to be wrong for her.

For the record, you don't "summarize" something with incorrect information. There is no "separate rule" as she claimed, which my post was to clarify that misinformation. If you want to act like you have all the answers, it's best to actually have all the answers.

I can play in whichever playground I choose. You are not the gatekeeper here. Speaking of, in the future don't be such a pedant. What Mezmera posted was fine. If you have something further to add to a discussion there's no need to quote someone else. This isn't a classroom and you are not our teacher.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

15 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

I can play in whichever playground I choose. You are not the gatekeeper here. Speaking of, in the future don't be such a pedant. What Mezmera posted was fine. If you have something further to add to a discussion there's no need to quote someone else. This isn't a classroom and you are not our teacher.

My post was to clarify misinformation. Pretending it's not incorrect when it's demonstrably false is a disservice to a player who doesn't understand why things work the way they do. Even if it was "shorthand" it was butchered shorthand that suggested one set of enhancements were unique with a special rule unique to them. They aren't unique and there isn't some special rule. It's important to be clear and precise when describing how a system works to a player who clearly doesn't know how it works.

Considering other posters came in after the fact who were thankful for my clarification and how it impacted their future builds, I think it was warranted.

15 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

Speaking of, in the future don't be such a pedant.

Speaking of, in the future, don't try to correct someone when you're just adding false information in an attempt to be a smart-ass.

I tire of forum PvP. If you absolutely must get the last word, feel free to reply. My posts have served their purpose.

Edited by ForeverLaxx
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

45 minutes ago, ForeverLaxx said:

My post was to clarify misinformation. Pretending it's not incorrect when it's demonstrably false is a disservice to a player who doesn't understand why things work the way they do. Even if it was "shorthand" it was butchered shorthand that suggested one set of enhancements were unique with a special rule unique to them. They aren't unique and there isn't some special rule. It's important to be clear and precise when describing how a system works to a player who clearly doesn't know how it works.

Considering other posters came in after the fact who were thankful for my clarification and how it impacted their future builds, I think it was warranted.

Speaking of, in the future, don't try to correct someone when you're just adding false information in an attempt to be a smart-ass.

I tire of forum PvP. If you absolutely must get the last word, feel free to reply. My posts have served their purpose.

I doubt you're that tired of it considering you basically tried to keep an argument going with someone else and then got as indignant as they did when called out for it. I'm not being a smartass so much as pursuing a hobby, which is bullying bullies. Of course, you've walked away so I guess I lost a playmate.

• Thumbs Down 6

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

20 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

I'm not being a smartass so much as pursuing a hobby, which is bullying bullies. Of course, you've walked away so I guess I lost a playmate.

doc-holliday-im-your-huckleberry.gif

• Haha 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.