Patrol Dump

Rudra

5 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Did you not read the OP or my other posts on this thread?! I was getting myself killed to get rid of it. It took 52 minutes of getting killed by a spawn of 3 purple minions and a purple boss to get rid of of the patrol xp. And that spawn was almost at the base portal, which expedited the process. And it still took that long to get rid of.

I see, sorry, yes I did miss that.

Ok, so this was a character you hadn't played in a while, they had a whole levels worth of Patrol XP saved up (the maximum possible).

It might help if you said something about Why patrol xp is a problem, besides that you don't like it. You hate it, uncontrollably.

Why can't you just play normally to get rid of it? Why is it an issue?

There's a change in UI, and the rate at which you gain xp changes...what is the problem? Why do you hate it?

I think originally it was meant to entice people back who hadn't subscribed for a while. Obviously that's no longer a concern.

Functionally, what it does now is reward you for playing alts.

I have not checked, and I'm sorry if you mentioned this already, does turning off XP gain turn off the accumulation of Patrol XP? Perhaps not, but if it did that would provide a solution, albeit an annoying one.

10 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

I have not checked, and I'm sorry if you mentioned this already, does turning off XP gain turn off the accumulation of Patrol XP? Perhaps not, but if it did that would provide a solution, albeit an annoying one.

No, it doesn't. Turning off xp stops the accumulation of xp from defeating mobs and clearing missions. It does not stop the accumulation of patrol xp. That can only be gotten rid of by gaining xp or accruing debt.

Edit: If turning off xp was changed to disable gaining patrol xp as well? That would be very welcome. I could just turn off xp before logging then. And if I forgot to? Then it's on me for having to go and spend however long it takes to get rid of the patrol xp.

Edited by Rudra

9 hours ago, SuggestorK said:

There is one problem with that.. after awakening u protected for a certain time to gain more debt (5 sec? 10 secs?) , so after using that awaken he would need to stay alive for that time to gain debt again..... just a hint.

Indeed,  we should pull them slightly before they kill us so they go home after we die.  The hospital in the hive is close so its not a problem there.  PI would be a trip to get back to the monster area.  Monster Island might be an option since its just a clone of the PI area with a closer hospital.  Characters of lower levels have an easy time getting killed in PI.  There are really tough AE missions that will kill you in less than a second on max settings.  Plenty of ways to die when we are trying.

5 hours ago, Rudra said:

I don't know why I hate having xp shoved down my throat. I just do.

This is the key question, otherwise it will just move to the next target. It's not being shoved down your throat. It's been a part of the game since before sunset.

Do you also get upset about day job bonuses for example? They're earned by not playing.

Literally get rid of the XP bar, none the wiser. Use the combat attributes to see hp,end and whatever else. Choose your XP rate to slow or speed up to your liking.

At 50 if it's hidden you'll only know it's there because it's given for logging out. Just like logging out to get free bonuses shoved down your throat.

I am absolutely against this change, which appears solely based on Rudra's antipathy to "having free xp shoved down his throat". Unless it is an actual "patrol dump". There is a portapotty that the character enters and occupies for a period of time to simulate this purge. Maybe 10 minutes? Perhaps a vendor could sell a laxative inspiration to hasten the process. Maybe a badge for using all patrol dump locations? A clogger badge for redside?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Greycat said:

The point is you can only have one character logged in at a time per account. So while that may keep *that* character from getting patrol XP, it doesn't help the two, ten, fifty, or three hundred other characters avoid accumulating it.

Well that blows that idea.  Thanks for pointing out what the obvious problem with my otherwise fantastic 🙄 idea was.

54 minutes ago, Sirius.Games said:

This is the key question, otherwise it will just move to the next target. It's not being shoved down your throat. It's been a part of the game since before sunset.

Do you also get upset about day job bonuses for example? They're earned by not playing.

Literally get rid of the XP bar, none the wiser. Use the combat attributes to see hp,end and whatever else. Choose your XP rate to slow or speed up to your liking.

At 50 if it's hidden you'll only know it's there because it's given for logging out. Just like logging out to get free bonuses shoved down your throat.

Once I have the day job badges? Yeah, I avoid day job locations. If the Patroller day job location wasn't literally everywhere in the game, I'd be avoiding it too. Problem with patrol xp solved. However, there is no such place anywhere in the game.

Honestly, I do feel for you. There's lots of things I have irrational hatred for and no way to change. It's a totally frustrating experience, for sure.

However, you've acknowledged that it is irrational, you have no explanation for what the problem actually is, and there is no tangible negative impact from the feature. So it seems highly unlikely the devs are going to do anything about it.

That said, if they decide they do want to spend the time to put in an Option or Null the Gull request to turn of Patrol XP, I wouldn't say don't do it. It wouldn't harm anything else to have such an option.

9 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

Honestly, I do feel for you. There's lots of things I have irrational hatred for and no way to change. It's a totally frustrating experience, for sure.

However, you've acknowledged that it is irrational, you have no explanation for what the problem actually is, and there is no tangible negative impact from the feature. So it seems highly unlikely the devs are going to do anything about it.

That said, if they decide they do want to spend the time to put in an Option or Null the Gull request to turn of Patrol XP, I wouldn't say don't do it. It wouldn't harm anything else to have such an option.

While I really want some option to deal with this, I don't really care what it is as long as it helps, I never had any actual hope of the devs doing anything with this. I am a single person. I seem to be the only one really affected by this. @Akisan has similar concerns, and I appreciate the comments of those who at least tried to understand my situation, but I don't expect the devs to actually do anything about the concerns of a single player.

This was basically my last hurrah to ask for anything to deal with this. I sincerely doubt I will think of any other options to deal with this than what I gave in this thread and the previous thread. At least this option didn't die in its cradle like the previous option did. So there is that at least. I'm guessing I'm stuck spending entire play sessions getting rid of patrol xp so that I can actually play that character the next day.

Thank you all for your comments. I don't see this thread making it any further.

I am fine with the option, but as there are so few players that are likely to use the "benefit" of this, I think it may not be a good use of coding time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

I have always viewed my characters as still doing things after I log off, so there is no issue with patrol xp for me.

The simplest solution is you get one badge, yea suck it up buttercup,

.... oh the horrors.

like in the train station and that is where you always park your characters.

/e poofgone

2 hours ago, JasperStone said:

I have always viewed my characters as still doing things after I log off, so there is no issue with patrol xp for me.

The simplest solution is you get one badge, yea suck it up buttercup,

.... oh the horrors.

like in the train station and that is where you always park your characters.

The simplest solution is you get one badge? Huh?

Aside from I have no idea what exactly you are trying to say with this post, "suck it up, buttercup" is such a universally worthless statement.

This power set underperforms compared to the AT's other power sets.     Suck it up, buttercup.

Pets have no survivability.                                                                        Suck it up, buttercup.

This costume/aura option does not exist in the game.                              Suck it up, buttercup.

This power set does not exist in the game.                                               Suck it up, buttercup.

Congratulations. You posted a fine way to shut down the Suggestions and Feedback forum. No more suggestions needed, because everyone should just suck it up and play the game as is.

That you disagree with the OP is understandable. That you personally view your characters as continuing to do super heroic or super villainous tasks while offline does not mean it applies to everyone and their characters. Some players view their characters as taking down time to date, relax, indulge hobbies, or any of a myriad other possibilities.

Okay, you don't see your characters the way I see mine. We can disagree on things. However, "suck it up, buttercup" has no place in a discourse of ideas and opinions.

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

The simplest solution is you get one badge? Huh?

Aside from I have no idea what exactly you are trying to say with this post, "suck it up, buttercup" is such a universally worthless statement.

This power set underperforms compared to the AT's other power sets.     Suck it up, buttercup.

Pets have no survivability.                                                                        Suck it up, buttercup.

This costume/aura option does not exist in the game.                              Suck it up, buttercup.

This power set does not exist in the game.                                               Suck it up, buttercup.

Congratulations. You posted a fine way to shut down the Suggestions and Feedback forum. No more suggestions needed, because everyone should just suck it up and play the game as is.

That you disagree with the OP is understandable. That you personally view your characters as continuing to do super heroic or super villainous tasks while offline does not mean it applies to everyone and their characters. Some players view their characters as taking down time to date, relax, indulge hobbies, or any of a myriad other possibilities.

Okay, you don't see your characters the way I see mine. We can disagree on things. However, "suck it up, buttercup" has no place in a discourse of ideas and opinions.

You missed the light-heartedness in that statement.

That was your choice.

You want what you want.

I get it.

Thread number two on this.

You hate it.

I said my character was still doing things, but never said superheroic stuff.

using the word hate ... does not belong in discourse either

/e poofgone

If anything it would probably be easiest to add the reject Patrol XP to the P2W vendor. This as opposed to making it a Day Job location. If the programming doesn’t take a long time what can it hurt?

I mean they added the reject INS to the P2W, why not reject Patrol XP?

Edited by Arc-Mage
  • Like 1

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

10 hours ago, espectro said:

No. One guy wants this for weird reasons. don't make sense to do anything about this. Just ignore patrol xp.put a piece of tape on that part of the screen until it goes away

I would also like this option, even if it is an option that a very small fraction of the player base uses (and even then, only a few of mine would use it).  And, BTW: RP, Challenge, Accessibility, or even just Philosophical Preference don't seem like "weird" reasons to me. We've given valid reasons to include this option (even though, again, not many people are likely to use it).

6 hours ago, Arc-Mage said:

If anything it would probably be easiest to add the reject Patrol XP to the P2W vendor. This as opposed to making it a Day Job location. If the programming doesn’t take a long time what can it hurt?

I mean they added the reject INS to the P2W, why not reject Patrol XP?

This, or a setting in Menu/Options/General, along with Earn XP and XP while Exemplared. 

Can't promise on that programming length though, given the (hopefully less-so now) spaghettified codebase.  Depending on if patrol xp is awarded to offline characters, or awarded on log-in, they may have to either add an if block to stop the patrol xp award, or to add debt equal to the awarded patrol xp (though the 2nd option would make the debt badges really easy to get...).

5 hours ago, Akisan said:

I would also like this option, even if it is an option that a very small fraction of the player base uses (and even then, only a few of mine would use it).  And, BTW: RP, Challenge, Accessibility, or even just Philosophical Preference don't seem like "weird" reasons to me. We've given valid reasons to include this option (even though, again, not many people are likely to use it).

He has a hang up that makes him waste his game time. So he wants the devs to change this for him. Often when other people want things he shoots them down. SO no sympathy here i think this is universe karma.

So, instead of wasting time dying like a fool. Plan. if i play 10 hours in a week at 150% xp, play around 6.66 hours norml (with patrol) and turn off xp for the remaining time (3.4 hours). Roughly the same xp per time spent, no? Then when it's burned away don't worry about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, espectro said:

He has a hang up that makes him waste his game time. So he wants the devs to change this for him. Often when other people want things he shoots them down. SO no sympathy here i think this is universe karma.

So, instead of wasting time dying like a fool. Plan. if i play 10 hours in a week at 150% xp, play around 6.66 hours norml (with patrol) and turn off xp for the remaining time (3.4 hours). Roughly the same xp per time spent, no? Then when it's burned away don't worry about it.

Agreed. 

I am fine with something being put in the game for being able to turn off earning patrol XP.  There seems to be plenty of people who are fine with having this feature - and why wouldn't anyone?  It's a feature that wouldn't hurt anyone or the game play.  And for me personally, it would be less times that I have to "Turn OFF XP" when I have characters running through Praetoria.  

I was in a similar situation with SWTOR - early on I struggled with out leveling content and I was always fighting low level mobs because there was no way to turn of earning XP to slow my progression.  I asked for a "Disable earning XP" option on the forums and I got blasted HARD by people.  (They eventually implemented a completely different system that made it better when running through content and eliminated the need for turning XP off.)

But nevertheless, there has been enough discourse and debate about this.  Going forward, and until a system IS put in place (and it may never be)... @Rudra, so that you don't stress yourself out and have an aneurism (we need all the players we can get)  😄 .... 

1. Patrol XP changes the rate in which you earn XP... it makes it slightly faster.  So maybe try to think of it in those terms instead of getting "extra" or "bonus" XP.  (I know this doesn't solve it, but it is a small nuance that may help you get through current conditions).
  2. DO NOT spend your 1 hour trying to get rid of Patrol XP - that is certainly a recipe for causing stress and negative energy.  Instead spend your time in a positive way by playing the content that you want.
  3. Much like we ALL have to do when running through Praetorian content, you'll have to watch your XP bars and "Turn OFF XP" when you get to the point you want to SLOW DOWN (reference to pt #1 above as earning XP as a rate and not a bonus lump sum), so you can continue enjoying the content you want.

I know this isn't ideal for you.  But it is better for you and a more positive game experience with how things are now.  Maybe this can get you through until a system is put in place to turn off earning patrol XP.  Wasting your limited time to get rid of Patrol XP by dying and earning debt is pointless when you can just play the content you want and then SLOW DOWN to where you want to be by "Turning OFF XP."

Good luck.

• Game Master

I'm curious as to why you think you have to get rid of it by fighting stuff for an hour instead of just playing the game? It goes away as you play and it's not as if you are bleeding it away with no effect, you are still getting the extra 50% xp whether you spend an hour fighting enemies outside or doing missions. I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid, it's probably a minority of a handful of people, or even literally just you, but it's never going to be popular or requested enough to warrant Dev time.

The only way to avoid patrol XP is to stay logged in. Start a TF/ouro then park somewhere out of the way like the shadow shards. Then quit the TF/ouro when you want to continue. Then minimise the window and turn off your monitor.

• Thumbs Up 1