Giant Monster Team protocol

battlewraith

I don't do much monster hunting, but recently I was leveling up a character via missions and ran into a couple. In Crey's Folly I saw Jurassik so I posted about it in lfg and started inviting people to a team. It filled up and everyone was in zone and close to being in position. At the last minute one more person showed up and a teammate said I should put them in the league, so I did. Then somebody else said I should move a couple people over to the second league team, so I did. Then there was a debate on the team over whether that was necessary, under what conditions the badge was awarded, etc. I decided to move all of the initial people back to the original team because, based on the discussion, I was worried that people who had arrived earlier and been moved off the original team may get screwed out of something. Ultimately first come first serve seemed the fairest way to handle the situation. We killed the GM. Everyone on the team got the rewards, but the solo guy said he didn't get the badge. 

So is there some general best practice or philosophy for dealing with this situation or was that a usual encounter?

If I recall the team has to do at least 10% damage to get credit, and you need to get a hit in on the team (but you don't need to personally contribute 10% of the damage). I've had run into scenarios where I got invited to a GM team and the team killed the GM before I can get to it - no badge.

Splitting up the league is a sensible way to make sure everyone gets credit. Some will get fussy that a 50 is not leading a team but GM scales with player levels (a level 50 player is not going to do obscenely more damage vs a level 20 player proportional to the GM's HP) and that extra bit of incarnate boost for level 50s isn't that much of a deal breaker as long as the non-50 team leader is of a reasonable level.

• Thumbs Up 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

To get the reward, your team (not league) must have contributed at least 10% of damage.

You probably would have been fine moving some people over to the other team, as long as they could take a bite out of the GM between them.

But I wouldn't sweat it. GMs aren't usually fought in leagues, so I wouldn't say there's an etiquette for when they are.

I don't know about general best practice, but once a team goes over size 8 I like to split the teams in a league as evenly as possible.

I do believe that anyone that gets a punch on a GM gets the merits, but 10% of damage (for a team, even if team is size 1) is needed to get a badge.  Putting someone solo in league puts them behind the proverbial 8-ball.  Even teams makes it almost certain all teams get 10% of damage and therefore badge.

Note - there's an exception for Jack and E in Croatoa, those just need to be punched to get badge, I don't know of any others like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nemu said:

If I recall the team has to do at least 10% damage to get credit,

This is correct.

In the situation described, that lone person could have gotten the badge if they could deal enough damage.  I've done this on my scrapper - being a solo attacker and doing at least 10% of the damage by myself out of a total of nine attackers (not that hard on any DPS focused character).

Dividing the teams more evenly would have pretty much guaranteed everyone the badge.  Just make sure to distribute the DPS-ers.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On 11/14/2022 at 8:58 AM, Lines said:

To get the reward, your team (not league) must have contributed at least 10% of damage.

I wonder, does this need to change?  I've seen multiple cases over the years where a PUG league is quickly formed and the make-shift leader leaves one or two poor souls isolated, and therefore not hitting that 10% if the GM is taken down rapidly.    Why does it remain distinctive to the team when a league is clearly intended?

13 minutes ago, Techwright said:

I wonder, does this need to change?  I've seen multiple cases over the years where a PUG league is quickly formed and the make-shift leader leaves one or two poor souls isolated, and therefore not hitting that 10% if the GM is taken down rapidly.    Why does it remain distinctive to the team when a league is clearly intended?

I think it should, this has happened to me a few times during Halloween event.  Waiting hours for the banners and not enough damage or I was the only one on my team to make to that banner before it was taken down.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used to run GM hunting leagues on torch when there were enough spawned on saturday morning to make an event out of it.  My schedule hasnt been great for awhile now but i may attempt to bring it back.  I would usually be between 14-24 people.  Not that the GMs are hard,  but its fun with a bunch of people.

Keep the teams in the neighborhood of even and everyone will get credit.  Even on leagues with 6 teams there is still 40% of wiggle room for all teams to get the badges.

4 hours ago, Techwright said:

I think the best way would be do make it league instead of team, but I don't know the programming details how that would be done.

If there's no one around I'll solo the monster as I agree with @Krimsonit's somewhat funto do so.

Otherwise I might pop by if someone announces it in LFG or such as I assume they need help to kill it or they wouldn't be asking. I usually don't need the merits as I usually have a stack of a few thousand on standby, but figure I might as well be helpful to someone else every once in awhile.

4 hours ago, Techwright said:

I thought this was changed actually, because of the Croatoa Giant Monsters and the fact that Jack in Irons and Skeleton Man can duke it out for hours and then noone gets credits for finally killing them, because of the 10% damage rule being regenerated over and over again.

I have heard rumors that eochai and jack can wail on each other so long no one gets credit because no one matches 10% damage done.  Dont know if this is CoH mythology or not

The best solution I see is to evenly split teams.  9-10 people two teams 4-5, etc

Edited by Snarky

On 11/14/2022 at 8:59 AM, Hedgefund2 said:

I don't know about general best practice, but once a team goes over size 8 I like to split the teams in a league as evenly as possible.

I do believe that anyone that gets a punch on a GM gets the merits, but 10% of damage (for a team, even if team is size 1) is needed to get a badge.  Putting someone solo in league puts them behind the proverbial 8-ball.  Even teams makes it almost certain all teams get 10% of damage and therefore badge.

Note - there's an exception for Jack and E in Croatoa, those just need to be punched to get badge, I don't know of any others like that.

Like I said:

"Eochai and Jack in Irons will now reward their badges on defeat regardless of how much damage the player does to them."

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Issue_26_Page_2#Badges

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2022 at 9:58 AM, Techwright said:

Though the cases may be rare, I can imagine this becoming the next farming method, if it didn't work this way - fully fill up a league, and only a couple people go and kill large groups of enemies in a war zone or something, and everyone gets credit, even if they didn't do any damage.

2 hours ago, gamingglen said:

Are you sure about the 10% thing?

Yes, but there are some monsters that are specifically excluded from that requirement.  Eochai, Jack In Irons and Lusca come to mind immediately.

Also, note that a single hit on ANY monster is enough to get you the merits.  It's only the badges that generally require the 10% damage.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

My general rule I operate by when I'm going out hunting giant monsters on my few characters that can solo them is if I spot one, I'll announce in general chat that I'm going to be killing <monster> in a few minutes, and anyone who wants to join is free to come poke at it too. Those that answer I'll invite to group and wait until they get there, and then we kill it. If nobody answers, well, I'll just kill it myself. I've never gotten so many that I've needed more than a single group, though.

• Thumbs Up 1