Oops, I Did It Again

Player2

This topic is clearly for the rampant altaholics out there, but have you ever created an entirely new character with AT and powerset combos you've already played?  Was it intentional, like trying a different build or one of those Jeckyll/Hyde split persona one character over two different builds kind of thing?

Apparently I've done it more than I realized.  Here's a breakdown of my dupes:

Out of 44 blasters, I have

• 3 Dual Pistols/Martial Combat  (levels 34, 30, and 12)
  • 2 Fire Blast/Fire Manipulation  (levels 35 and 6)
  • 2 Water Blast/Mental Manipulation  (levels 40 and 28)

Out of 33 brutes, I have

• 2 Electric Melee/Dark Armor  (levels 50 and 30)
  • 2 Martial Arts/Willpower  (levels 29 and 9)
  • 2 Titan Weapons/Bio Armor  (levels 32 and 31)

Out of 41 controllers, I have

• 2 Gravity Control/Time Manipulation  (levels 38 and 27)
  • 2 Illusion Control/Radiation Emission  (both level 42)
  • 2 Illusion Control/Storm Summoning  (levels 42 and 37)
  • 2 Illusion Control/Time Manipulation  (levels 21 and 9)
  • 2 Mind Control/Kinetics  (levels 43 and 7)
  • 2 Plant Control/Time Manipulation  (levels 8 and 7)

Out of 13 corruptors, I have

• 3 Water Blast/Poison  (levels 37, 27, and 21)

Out of 22 defenders, I have

• 2 Traps/Assault Rifle  (levels 6 and 10)

Out of 24 dominators, I have

• 2 Dark Control/Dark Assault  (levels 42 and 35)
  • 2 Gravity Control/Martial Assault  (levels 39 and 6)
  • 2 Mind Control/Martial Assault  (levels 36 and 35)
  • 3 Mind Control/Psionic Assault  (levels 34, 27, and 22)
  • 2 Symphony/Martial Assault  (levels 35 and 25)

Out of 15 masterminds, I have

• 2 Beasts/Nature Affinity  (levels 23 and 6)
  • 2 Necromancy/Pain Domination  (levels 36 and 28)

Out of 45 scrappers, I have

• 2 Savage Melee/Bio Armor  (levels 32 and 27)
  • 2 Savage Melee/Ninjitsu  (levels 40 and 27)
  • 2 Staff Fighting/Ninjitsu  (levels 36 and 29)
  • 4 Street Justice/Super Reflexes  (levels 50, 32, 32, and 25)
  • 2 Street Justice/Willpower  (levels 40 and 32)
  • 2 Titan Weapons/Ninjitsu  (levels 29 and 6)

Out of 15 sentinels, I have

• no duplicate combos

Out of 21 stalkers, I have

• 2 Savage Melee/Regeneration  (levels 28 and 25)

Out of 23 tankers, I have

• 2 Shield/Broad Sword  (levels 28 and 6)
  • 2 Willpower/Super Strength  (levels 50 and 26)

I also have an assortment of Widows, Soldiers of Arachnos, and Kheldians...  but those are more limited in powerset choices so I chose not to count them.  Mind you, all of this is just on Excelsior... I have many more on Torch, some of them specifically recreations of the exact same character but with slightly different builds to try out alternative power choices without messing with the original characters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Player2 said:

have you ever created an entirely new character with AT and powerset combos you've already played?  Was it intentional, like trying a different build or one of those Jeckyll/Hyde split persona one character over two different builds kind of thing?

I've definitely done this.  Often it's because I'd rather start a fresh build then try to modify an existing one, or perhaps I like the costume and bio/concept for both characters, (therefore I don't want to override one character with another).  Sometimes it's a matter of wanting to have 2 characters with the same AT, primary & secondary, but with a different emphasis on what particular powers or pools I take.  For instance, I generally take 0-1 of a Mastermind's personal attacks, but the changes to Necromancy made me want to try a character with all 3 of them...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Player2 said:

This topic is clearly for the rampant altaholics out there, but have you ever created an entirely new character with AT and powerset combos you've already played?

Yes.

Sometimes it's deliberately duplicating a character on another account for RP purposes. But in general, if my character needs X/Y powersets to express who they're meant to be, they get those powersets, whether I've made a bunch of them previously or not. Defining the character is what counts to me, not "oh, I've played a bunch of X," most of the time.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I have a few that are very different concepts, including being one hero and the other villain...  but some are just the same alignment and even the same power pools with little more than name & costume to differentiate them.

For example, one of my DP/Martial blasters is a cop... another is a villain named Anarchy Grrl, and the third is a plain-looking civilian type vigilante named Perfectly Ordinary.

12 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Defining the character is what counts to me, not "oh, I've played a bunch of X," most of the time.

Agreed.  I only counted because I noticed some of the duplicates and, because I have all my characters organized on a spreadsheet I was able to re-order them to see how many of what specific combos I had done.  It's definitely not about "These are my favorite powerset combinations, let's see how many times I can recreate them."

Side note:  Favorite powerset is Storm Summoning (used on a dozen different characters), while most used Primary has been Symphony Control... probably because when it was new I went a little crazy creating alts to see how it worked with various different secondary combinations.  Symphony/Storm has been a whole lot of fun, but Symphony/Savage Assault has been my favorite symphony combo.

Edited by Player2

Yes, I've done it a couple of times, each time was deliberate, and was done because the concept and look were so stuck in my mind that I just had to let them out.  Each time though, I altered the look of the power to give an illusion that I'm working with a different set.

I'm more likely however, to create a very similar powerset, but place it with a different AT, like blaster vs. sentinel.

I tend to find sets I like and then reuse them a lot, but I try to vary the other set.

My tankers are usually rad/ now.  My controllers are usually elec/.  

And I make characters and park them at different levels so I can play a level appropriate character for the Hollows, Posi TFs, etc.  So I have rad/dark tanker at level 13 and an 19 (Skull Girlfriend and Skull Bride).  I have a lot of deliberate duplicates just separated by level.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm always slightly amazed. I don't think I even have 50 characters grand total. 

But I am *extremely* picky on names, and my own "not-really-OCD-but-I-call-it-that", requires me to mentally sketch out a character backstory / personality / worldview before I finish creating the character. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I did this on Live intentionally.  My main was an Invulnerability/Super Strength Tanker, but I wanted to do a Supergirl/Power Girl homage with the same powerset combo as well.  The original intention was that I would differentiate them by the main using Superleap & the female tanker using Flight, along with some alternate power & epic pool choices.  But the main ended up respeccing into Flight as well (which was the travel power of the original version of the PnP character) so they ended up almost exactly the same in terms of powers.

On Homecoming, I did rebuild Lara Liberty again, but this time I made her a Willpower/Energy Melee Tanker so that I wouldn't duplicate powersets.

• Thumbs Up 1

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

I have a friend who has 5 accounts and each account has at least 2  electric/devices blasters. All have the fire epic pool, so they can get rise of the phoenix, and almost all have. Fighting for weave and tough; and super speed for hasten and burnout. All of them have musculature alpha, barrier destiny, electric judgment, and support hybrid. 

I know a guy in LOTRO who has at least 3 wardens on every server and one server has about 15. 

I mean I’m kinda bad, all my tanks/brutes/scrappers/sentinels/stalkers have willpower for shields except maybe 4 and that’s across 4 accounts. I have a ton of willpower brutes but at least on any one account and server they all have different attacks. Right now if I play a brute it’s my titan weapon/willpower one.

I was actually thinking about this since I saw the thread pop up, but I don't think I've ever recreated a powerset combo ever, across both Live and here. I'm pretty sure I haven't even crossed the same powerset combo over different ATs.

There's only 1 instance I can think of that being the case. The last toon I remembered enjoying on Live was a Street Justice/Willpower Scrapper. When I learned about HC, I made a Stj/WP Brute because I knew Brutes have an easier time levelling fresh with no resources over a Scrapper.

Powersets? Yeah, I've tried the same powerset on multiple ATs. That's kind of hard not to do. But I've never done the same pairing across similar ATs. In my mind, I already knew what gameplay style I was looking for when I combined the two sets. Duplicating it to another AT wouldn't be nearly as satisfying for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

Subject line misled me in a different direction.

There is always a time and place for a little Britney

Britney Spears Oops I Did It Again Without Music

Edited by High_Beam
  • Haha 2

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)