Cold help please....Opinions?

damnimgood

Ice/cold dominators do fairly well, since can lockdown with the primary and then unleash pain and suffering with the secondary.  Not as "tanky" as other archetypes, but you learn to pace yourself, take down small fry until Domination fills, then go after the big targets.

• Like 1

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

Um.... I have yet to roll one.... but I've always been told that Ice/Ice blasters are darn near Blastrollers. And looking at the powers, it feels hard to argue with.

Ice Blast gives you lots of powers with slow and -Recharge, TWO holds, a damaging cone slow, and a Rain that mobs want to run away from.

Ice Manip gives you a PBAE slow toggle, an ice patch for the power of flopping fish on dry land, a cone slow, and a third! Hold.

That's a pretty good kit for blasters.

• Like 2

Ice/Cold Corruptor - potential for scourge boosting damage, higher damage cap compared to the Defender mirror.  But lower debuff and buff values than Defender.  Lots of proc options.  

Cold/Ice Defender - slightly better debuff and buff numbers than Corruptor, lots of proc opportunities.  

Ice Control/Icy Assault Dominator.  Perma-Dom/ Domination means mez protection, greater mag to attacks, short boost to To Hit (+25%).  Lots of proc options.

Ice Control/Cold - like the Defender and Corruptor can provide shields and Cold's other debuffs.  Less offense but more CC than the above pairings.

I also like pairing Ice and Cold sets with various Dark sets.  Darks To Hit debuffs are nicely synergistic with Colds shields in particular.  Dark Miasma/Ice Blast and its mirror Ice/Dark Miasma are very strong nasty pairings.  Everything is movement slowed, recharge debuffed and whiffing what attacks they do get off.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Everyone's already pretty suggested most of my favorite pairings lol, so I'll back them with:

Ice/Cold Corruptor (Defender version seems like overkill, imo, but still viable/valid)

Ice/Ice/Ice Dominator - I very rarely do same element pairings, but this one is quite a bit of fun, and I bet it's even better after the recent Ice Control buffs

Ice/Ice Stalker - I haven't played mine in a long time, but it's definitely one of the more fun stalkers I've ever played. Does decent damage and has pretty good control/AoE for a stalker

• Like 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

9 hours ago, Snarky said:

Ice cold Corruptor is greater than Ice Ice Blaster due to Scourge pairing so well with the two big Rain DoT and the debuffs cold brings to ST and AoE

Ah Snarky. Good to see you. You've helped me many times over the years, intentionally and unintentionally with your vast COH knowledge. Thank you very much.

Edited by damnimgood

20 minutes ago, damnimgood said:

Thank you everyone for your help. So narrowing out some choices I'm left with..Ice/Cold Dom,Ice/Cold Corr or Ice/TA Controller. DECISIONS!!

Nah, that's just 3 new characters 😁.  It's more a matter of which first.

Edit:  And @Shred Monkey's mention of Sentinel is interesting as well.  1) ice Blast works well at range and 2) procs don't care what AT you are so concerns about Sentinel damage are lessened.

Edited by Doomguide2005
Brain fart, don't play a lot of Sentinels. They don't get Cold.

13 hours ago, damnimgood said:

What combination would be the best use of a cold offense that wouldn't get me squashed like a blaster? I really want to use cold/ice because I haven't really messed with it. THANKS!

Blasters don't usually go squish.

But I guess if you want a  easier time of things, then go for Ice/Cold corr or fender.

Edited by Seed22

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

5 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

Blasters don't usually go squish.

But I guess if you want a  easier time of things, then go for Ice/Cold corr or fender.

Their survivability is pretty low, I know there's things you can do, but in general..

Edited by damnimgood

1 hour ago, Yaliw said:

Ice/ice stalker is stupid good. Due to freezing touch, you're able to proc your own assassin strike. You have great control in ice patch and even tanky due to hparfrost. It's my second favorite stalker right now

Hmm, I've been staying clear of stalkers for since, oh, forever, but this actually sounds, ah...cool.