New Char Start-up Process

So, when starting a new character, what is everyone else’s start-up process... those first steps you take on EVERY new character; and probably everyone should take. For me, obviously it is an immediate bee line for the P2W vendor to pick up the following:

One of each Prestige enhancement; don’t need more than one or two at the start, but rather have them all so I can just slot them as I level and get new powers.

The attack powers like Nemesis Rod, Slaying Axe, and Sands of Mu; having a few more attacks at low levels really helps out.

Either Beast or Ninja Run; works for a bit as an early travel power.

And then grab about 5 hours of double exp just to hit the twenties pretty quickly.

What first steps do you all take?

1. Load my UI and /bind files

2. Change UI color to be character specific

3. Grab email from main to collect 1,000,000 inf.

4. P2W for enhancements, double XP, reveal power, and any other powers that fit the concept (i.e. rocket packs for "natural" origin characters)

5. Meet with SGInviter (a special character on its own account) to get invited to my personal SG

6. Visit tailor in SG base to create "secret identity"

7. Go, Kill Skulls (or Hellions)

"3. Grab email from main to collect 1,000,000 inf."

Never got that, but pretty much do all the other things you do. Also, I create most of my costumes before level 10 when they don't cost anything.

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

[*]Setup Bind Files & Macro's

[*]Visit P2W Vendor for Prestige Enhancements

[*]Also at P2W get Free Powers, and Travel Power if appropriate for the character Concept

[*]Visit the Tailor to create an alternate costume or body type if needed - most of my heroes have their secret ID's or 2 different costumes

[*]Jet around Atlas and get all 8 exploration badges for 5 Merit Rewards.  Also let's me play around with my powers since I skipped Outbreak

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

1. Expand power tray, move powers to appropriate spots

2. Visit P2W vendor, pick up prestige enhancements, double XP booster, Ninja Run, Jump Pack

3. Head to AE building

4. Reach level 22 in an hour or two from solo farms

5. Slot 25 IOs with money from selling salvage

6. Go play the rest of the game.

1.  Re-scale my UI size

2.  Set up my keybinds

3.  Open a second power bar

4.  Vist P2W for all the usual goodies

5.  Arrange my powers where I want them

6.  Quit to Character Select and start work on the next 5 characters I've been thinking of.

Alt problem?  Me?  What are you talking about?

I've yet to go into customising my UI yet, but definitely taking advantage of the free costumes pre lvl 10. I've got 5 characters so far just sitting in the Atlas Icon just waiting for me to finish off all their alternate outfits before I start playing them properly.

1. Load my default window and chat settings

2. Bind "r" to toggle sprint on and off

3. Grab email with 200,000,000 inf (possibly more if I've got extra inf I need to store somewhere but I tend to give a chunk to get started either way)

4. Visit P2W vendor for prestige attacks, enhancements, double XP, 5 hours of jetpack fuel and ninja run (possibly also teleports but I sometimes hold off if I'm not sure I want to keep the character.

5. Hit a DFB to get enough levels to run Positron

Defender Smash!

So, when starting a new character, what is everyone else’s start-up process... those first steps you take on EVERY new character; and probably everyone should take. For me, obviously it is an immediate bee line for the P2W vendor to pick up the following:

One of each Prestige enhancement; don’t need more than one or two at the start, but rather have them all so I can just slot them as I level and get new powers.

The attack powers like Nemesis Rod, Slaying Axe, and Sands of Mu; having a few more attacks at low levels really helps out.

And then grab about 5 hours of double exp just to hit the twenties pretty quickly.

What first steps do you all take?

this except:

-I get 2 of each prestige enhancement so that i can change where I slot them without having to return to the P2W vendor

-Get secondary mutation & jump pack

-Use null the gull to get desired alignment/Alignment Power

Once I grab inf from my floating inf pool I add the following:

-I get the offense, defense, & survivability boosters since they are cheaper when you're lower level

-I get any attack temp powers that gel with the character, hammer, slugger & revolver for all brutes & shield toons. KB AOEs for toons with -KB AOE immobs

Finally when I am done playing that toon for that session I decide which day job accolade to get first on that toon depending on which gels best with inherent, powersets &/or concept. Ex Alchemist for Pet Classes, Archaeologist for Brutes, Security Chief for everyone else etc

Step 1: Make new character

Step 2: Think of other powersets I'd like to try

Step 3: Log out of character

Step 4: Return to step 1

Pretty much summarises half of my time on CoH.

Mine's very similar.

1) Flip through various archetypes/powersets to find one I haven't done yet.

2) Spend 30m tinkering around with costumes to come up with something I like.

3) Spend another 5m coming up with a good name.

4) Log in, visit the p2w vendor, get some starting stuff.

5) Kill things to level up to 6-10 or so to try out the new character.

6) Suddenly think of a new combo I want to try!

7) Return to step 1.

1.  Re-scale my UI size

@Blackbird71 Ugh I feel you. What you're missing is you can save your windows options and leave your UI scaled up permanently. (I mean the game's unreadable until this is cranked to 120% for me).

You know when you open up Menu - Options and that big window with tabs opens up, and there's the link to save options right there? The options covered there is like, profanity filter and misc stuff like that. On the window tab [Edit] at the bottom is an option to save window settings. There's also one for chat next to it.

So here's my scenario:

1. hit P2W vendor, collect prestige enhancements to slot as I get new powers; sands of mu; nem staff or blackwand; Ninja or beast run and a jumping power. Prestige utility choice: INNER INSPIRATION to start generating medium & large inspirations. Rarely I will take Inner Mutation or Mystic Fortune if thematically appropriate.

2. /loadwindow /loadbinds /loadchat  as necessary and then tweak anything that needs adjusting

3. Stand there at the tailor and make any adjustments necessary from costume/powers not coming out the desired color. It's free when you're low level (1-9).

3 B - costume slot 2: same as slot 1 but remove aura/cape/extra fancy bits that might get annoying like giant armored gloves. For example on my "Magician" character this slot loses the top hat.

3 C - costume slot 3, if applicable, simplify outfit more.  For example on my "Magician" character this slot ditches the big fancy cape (as well as the top hat) so he's just in the Baron coat

3 D - Costume slot 4, Casual/civilian identity slot

3 E - costume slot 5, alternate outfit. If the main look is basic tights this might be something more casual like a robe; if the main look is casual like a biker jacket & pants, this might be more of a "combat suit" like Stealth, Exoproto, Defense, etc.

3F - costume slot 6, Hammi Jammies (total basic monocolor tights with no cape or sfx for high stress areas like a Hamidon raid.)

One extra note about costume tweaking. Because the slots all inherit from your first costume it can actually be more costly to change them later than it would to start from a simple tights setup if slot 1 is really busy. If you've got a helmet, armored top, wings, aura and want a basic costume later it's very expensive because you're not just swapping Tights A to B you're actually changing the head and body modules and so on. So I sincerely do like to reset all the slots to something more basic. This is especially [glow=red,2,300]an issue with Soldiers of Arachnos [/glow]because the way the costume slots works has changed and we are starting with multiple slots and they're pre-filled. Slot 1 is on the NPC costume system, Slot 2 is on the PC system and it doesn't even inherit your height or face correctly. I've had a random look every time. At a cosmetic surgeon (back right nurse in Facemaker, or Trina in Pocket D's Tiki room) you can save costume slot 1, then load it on costume slot 2 with error warnings (you can ignore) to get your face, hair, and proper body sliders copied correctly. Then you need to create your default character look with those updated parameters, save it, and load it on all your other slots to reset them from being the rando design the system gave you. (On the original servers when you unlocked your bonus costume slot on an SoA at level 10, body scale and face copied over correctly to slot 2 and then propagated correctly, I believe. It is very fortunate we get free costume adjustments at low level to correct this system awkwardness.)

4. I might do 1 DFB for the accuracy boost temp power. At this time I'm only ok skipping to about level 5 so I can do radio missions and get the atlas park safeguard/mayhem

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

1.  Enter Outbreak.  Change mouse settings.  Add two power bars.  Drag temporary powers onto power bar.  Hit Sprint and finish up the tutorial.  Exit to Atlas.  Level and drag Rest to the right spot.

2.  Kill one Hellion for the inf.  Type “/ah”.  Post my inspirations at 1 inf each.

3.  Take proceeds and trade them to 5-10mm.

Who run Bartertown?

Slot up Swift and Sprint with 3 run speeds each and Ninja/Beast Run make a fair travel power in their own right. You can even toss jumps into Sprint and Hurdle. Though that's a big slot investment at that point.

1) Disable the bloody profanity filter.

1.1) While I'm in options I may as well go ahead and also make it so it shows player health bars, and my name, and give individual player names in chat, and any other options I may want to change.

2) Remove everything but Help from the Help tab.

3) Create the following chat tabs:

LFG for just the LFG channel.

PMs for just private messages.

Team for Team, League, PM, and Request.

4) If I actually end up in any active global channels, make tabs for them.

5) Go to P2W, get prestige attacks, movements, enhancers, etc.

6) Get 8 hours of double xp.

7) a couple hours to a couple days later if I actually like the new character, get on to my farmer, bring them in to my personal SG and email them 5mil.

I forgot the re-arrange UI step, and the combat number step.

>.>

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

In no particular order:

1) Rearrange my UI - This is mostly minor stuff, but I put my various bars and windows where I want them to go.

2) Set up the windows - Adjust the opacity (I like 100%) and set the border color (and speech bubbles) according to the character.

3) Visit the P2W vendor - I do not grab as much as some people, but I do pick up some things.

4) Organize my powers in the power tray - Self-explanatory, I think.  Just want to organize the powers to my personal tastes.

5) Organize chat tabs - I make one new tab and rearrange what appears where on some of the others.

6) Invite to my personal SG  - Maybe one day I will join a "real" SG with different players and everything, but for now it's just convenient to have a place to stash things and let my various toons share.  I may not get right on this one.

…  And that's it, I think.  After that it's off to play the tutorial and grab the badges.  If I didn't invite the character into my SG by now I will generally do that once I get to Atlas Park.

Edit:  I messed up the numbering in the original post and added one more item.

[*]Come up with a character concept

[*]Figure out what powersets would fit them

[*]Spend quite a bit of time in Pines toying with the build to see if I can make up one that seems satisfying to play

[*]Spend about as much time in the costume creator to make a fashionable look

[*]Name! Give me a name!

[*]Load UI files

[*]Hop off to an alt and /altinvite

[*]Get all the free stuff from P2W, revisit later for the teleporters if I end up liking the character

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

1) Come up with powersets/name/initial costumes.

2) Load into Atlas (Isolator gets saved and done as part of Oro)

3) Set up options. (profanity filter off, prompt team tport on, etc)

4) Set up chat tabs (remove broadcast and LFG from main local tab, add globals, etc)

5) Go to P2W, get Sands of Mu, Axe, whichever origin bonus ranged item is, add sprints and ninja run, about 8 hours of double xp)

6) Set up actionbars (usually three, attacks on first, toggles on second, temps on third)

6a) if Mastermind/kheldian set up useful keybinds

7) Level to 4 or so by Hellions near the lake.

8) Go sort out my other costumes.

9) DFB and DIB until 22 (can go back and do early arcs through Oro)

10) get one of my other characters to send about a million inf, and get SO's.

11) Level to 27.

12) IO up with 30's Usually try and get a Miracle +Recovery in health at this point.

And so on...