Storm Blast needs help, bad.

DangerKitty

4 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

I have to disagree with you. You are taking perception against your personal method of play. Right now I’m running Storm Blast on a Corruptor with Kinetics backing, and even with me pumping the team I’m still at the front dropping Cells. I also don’t wait for the team to drop them either, if I know we’re going into a commonly pulled area like on an ITF, I’ll start dropping the Storm Cell in advance.

I might suggest stop running PI Council missions and try some more challenging enemy groups 😉 

Damn that copium pipe is hitting here.

I mean, I suggest playing on an incarnate team with top tier sets and telling me this, THAT'd be hilarious to see. Though to appease the storm blast lovers I will say it's good in HM. That's where it shines, otherwise it's still slow.

Quick question: I've been playing CoH since i6 and know the sets pretty well. Why are people getting so defensive of storm every time a complaint is lobbied against it? Are you all ok?

I have also played HM. What challenging groups are you talking about(pssst...they don't exist 😉 not if you have a good team. Or you're(not saying you are) like me and build for positionals so you end up being tanky af on literally any toon you play)

Edited by Seed22

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

They like it. And that's fine. Devs said it achieved their goal and the best we can say about it (other than being super pretty) is that it did not introduce further power creep.

I got an average of 4 minutes with a pylon on a Storm/Bio which is not fantastic. It lacks burst and does not have steady power either, or decent AoE. But it is pretty helpful if building for a sturdy character since the KD and -ToHit does good in that aspect.

It's just that we achieve the same sturdyness simply by killing mobs. As others said (but I was on a Sentinel) throwing Storm Cell and Cat 5 and then spamming everything with Chain Lightning whenever up would still have live mobs by the time Cat 5 ended... which is not really brilliant.

But 4 minutes is my average on a fully ranged Sentinel so on that AT it is in the average. No worse than the other contenders, not better.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Seed22 said:

Damn that copium pipe is hitting here.

I mean, I suggest playing on an incarnate team with top tier sets and telling me this, THAT'd be hilarious to see. Though to appease the storm blast lovers I will say it's good in HM. That's where it shines, otherwise it's still slow.

Quick question: I've been playing CoH since i6 and know the sets pretty well. Why are people getting so defensive of storm every time a complaint is lobbied against it? Are you all ok?

I have also played HM. What challenging groups are you talking about(pssst...they don't exist 😉 not if you have a good team. Or you're(not saying you are) like me and build for positionals so you end up being tanky af on literally any toon you play)

People are giving you pushback because you create a very narrow scenario in which to judge the set, a set which has proven to be quite popular and a lot of people like, and then bash it when it fails to live up to said measure that it was never designed to meet. It gets very old very quickly listening to people constantly bash something you enjoy.

It's been acknowledged many times that Storm Blast is not a fast set, and if that's what you're looking for it's likely not going to be to your liking. This does not mean the set is broken or otherwise in need of help. It just means that in this one niche usage it's not optimal. And that's OK.

Edited by Captain Fabulous
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

People getting really unnecessarily defensive over Storm Blast. Just because the set is objectively subpar as a blast set doesn’t mean you’re not allowed to enjoy it. I enjoy it just fine.

Likewise, enjoying it, as I do, does not make it a good set. It has extremely poor AoE damage and the single target damage doesn’t shine enough to compensate. It tries to justify this with additional mitigation, but fails in doing so because the best blast set mitigation is dead mobs.

Edited by arcane
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, arcane said:

People getting really unnecessarily defensive over Storm Blast. Just because the set is objectively subpar as a blast set doesn’t mean you’re not allowed to enjoy it. I enjoy it just fine.

Likewise, enjoying it, as I do, does not make it a good set. It has extremely poor AoE damage and the single target damage doesn’t shine enough to compensate. It tries to justify this with additional mitigation, but fails in doing so because the best blast set mitigation is dead mobs.

Odd, considering how many people here are getting unnecessarily defensive about being called out for their incorrect insistence that it's a shit set. I mean, if you think it's shit and don't like it just don't play it. No need to make thread after thread and post after post about how bad you think it is. Seems like an unhealthy obsession to me.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

31 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Odd, considering how many people here are getting unnecessarily defensive about being called out for their incorrect insistence that it's a shit set. I mean, if you think it's shit and don't like it just don't play it. No need to make thread after thread and post after post about how bad you think it is. Seems like an unhealthy obsession to me.

Please read the posts you quote. I said I like the set - multiple times.

• Like 2

tempo is the problem. aside very pretty. 

played for around 30m after boosting on brainstorm, and was actually put off by the gale-like, and general compare to a fire primary.

just not for me, things dont stay still, and you gotta take way more time in aggro that a fire, water (a GOOD alternative), an ice, or even psi. hell, AR these days.... makes deaded before its problematic, by and large.

but, hugs.

Edited by honoroit

I didn’t like it on blaster at all. I tried trick arrow/storm defender. Really enjoyed TA again. Stacking -to hit is great. Trick arrow is so busy I think pairing it with a blast set you don’t want to use works. I deleted it too though. 

I’d be interested to try an all storm blast ITF like I like doing with other things. Not enough to actually level a storm blast up though. 

1 hour ago, arcane said:

Please read the posts you quote. I said I like the set - multiple times.

6 hours ago, arcane said:

...does not make it a good set. It has extremely poor AoE damage and the single target damage doesn’t shine enough to compensate. It tries to justify this with additional mitigation, but fails in doing so because the best blast set mitigation is dead mobs.

Dis you?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

It's possible to like something but not think it is balanced or well performing.

My feeling on Storm Blast are complex. I *love* the set and have more fun playing it than I have any other blast set since I joined the game way back in the preorder early access/beta.

But there have also been times where I felt almost any other set would have performed better. And I have never been in a situation where I noticed storm blast performing significantly above average to balance that out. 

So is the set "good enough"? For me the answer is yes but I could absolutely see others come away from it feeling differently.  

• Thanks 1

Not to interfere with the griping and fanboying, but does anyone have a clear idea how procs work in Storm Cell? From what I can see, procs in the baseline powers (Cloudburst, Gust, etc.) do not translate over to the Storm Cell nukes. Procs in Storm Cell should work, but it seems like the 25 yard radius would be punitive on the proc chance.

12 minutes ago, Hjarki said:

Not to interfere with the griping and fanboying, but does anyone have a clear idea how procs work in Storm Cell? From what I can see, procs in the baseline powers (Cloudburst, Gust, etc.) do not translate over to the Storm Cell nukes. Procs in Storm Cell should work, but it seems like the 25 yard radius would be punitive on the proc chance.

Procs placed in Storm Cell have a chance to go off when it attacks with lightning, however it doesn't happen all that often. 

2 hours ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Saying you like the set and then detailing all the ways in which it's "not good", "poor", and "fails" isn't the flex you think it is.

I like Totino's Pizza Rolls; but, I wouldn't say they're "good".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hjarki said:

Procs technically work in Storm Cell, but they only fire off the lightning the occurs from the usage of powers within the Cell, not organically just because. Thus you get random ontop of random, making it super rare. When I checked for occurrence I spent... eh, about 45ish minutes in total trying various different things, I only saw two triggers of the proc I had placed in Storm Cell.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's Sharknado week in the War Zone, I'll be going back to fanboying 😄

image.thumb.png.c27c732b8e84246585b79432c468ed74.pngimage.png.1e146693b07431fac1656ccd34a0f0a0.png

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Saying you like the set and then detailing all the ways in which it's "not good", "poor", and "fails" isn't the flex you think it is.

Dude. I enjoy playing the set. It looks cool as hell and is fun to play. It also has performance issues. These facts are not mutually exclusive. This is not hard to grasp.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 6/14/2023 at 10:42 AM, arcane said:

Dude. I enjoy playing the set. It looks cool as hell and is fun to play. It also has performance issues. These facts are not mutually exclusive. This is not hard to grasp.

I don't know that the issues are 'performance' so much as the set is utterly dependent on Storm Cell and that limits it greatly. You end up moving at pet speed rather than player speed while needing a moment to set up while everyone else is blasting. My suspicion is that most of those who really love Storm are primarily playing solo and don't fully grasp the frustration of your group leaving you in the dust.

When on a team I am usually racing with or ahead of the  front line b/c storm cell is non-aggro. Also damage over time powers don't require you to observe every damage tick (from the previous encounter). However, while I do agree storm cell is a bit of a drag, you have to remember it is only bonus and isn't required. So I lay the baddies out with or without storm cell deployed....

Now, I still stand by my opinion that the storm cell buff should have been an auto-inherit type power that builds as you normally use storm powers like tremors or whatever. Then we could have also had another awesome looking storm power 😀

Edited by VashNKnives

On 6/8/2023 at 2:53 AM, UltraAlt said:

Plenty of threads recently dissing on Storm Blast.

An easy search could have found them.

I find it to be pretty OP in the game content (versus end-game) with advance tactics.

I know that isn't just me.

I know there are plenty of people that are posting distaste or plain hatred of it.

I haven't made it to 50 on mine yet, but I too feel is it pretty good. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

COH bomp bomp: 

17 hours ago, Hjarki said:

My suspicion is that most of those who really love Storm are primarily playing solo and don't fully grasp the frustration of your group leaving you in the dust.

Again, I don't play the end-game, I play the game.

In the game (what some might call the "leveling content"), I play my storm blast characters on teams. I'm pretty sure I have one of each archetype.

I pretty much always play on teams.

I haven't played a Storm blast character solo except for hunting around the lake in Atlas Park.

I play in duos, trios, and task forces and trials that may or may not be full.

Last night on a group with 2 storm blast/stormy corruptors and a stormy/storm blast defender, we were laughing about the posts that storm blast is underpowered.

The group is all within 1 level of each other and around level 30. 

We aren't playing at +4/8. We are are playing at +2

We were pinning EBs to the ceiling.

We don't fear knockback, we embrace it.

We don't steamroll content, we use tactics to our advantage.

Storm Cell is key to the set. I can pull up a new storm cell pretty much every group.

On the duo, storm blast group that I play on, I often cast the storm cell on the spot that we are standing on.

So my guess is that most of the players that are complaining about storm blast are level 50+ and are running on steamrolling teams.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I play Storm Blast to have fun blasting enemies with storm sowers. Not to be the fastest, or the bestest, or the most-damagest.

And yes, I've mostly played Storm Blast on teams.

We move as fast or as slow as we want and sometimes Storm Cell can't keep up and I just throw it out again, or not. I don't care if it takes me 1.87 seconds longer to defeat a group of enemies or not. For me, the purpose of playing this game is to have fun, not to engage is some kind of competitive event.

It's been a lot of fun. If your complaint is that it doesn't do as much damage as Fire Blast then maybe go play Fire Blast?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.