How did you find that CoH was back?

TheZag

How did you find CoH Homecoming ?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. The not all inclusive list of choices

• A friend told me
    • I searched for City of Heroes
    • I searched for other hero games
    • I saw it on social media (Reddit, Facebook, ect.)
    • I saw a video (YouTube, ect.)
    • I heard while on another CoH server
    • Something else

So… I had a spreadsheet of every article, every project… anything to do with COH, the spiritual successor and all of the other efforts. I watched and looked for any signs weekly since shut down.  Needlesstosay I was a big fan and lost many guild mates. No game replaced  the fun and social connections. When I saw the articles on massively and other sites I did not believe it. I was on in 15 minutes. 

COH came back and even if it was gone a week later I decided to put the spreadsheet and my obsession to rest. 

• Like 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

I was in a CoH Facebook group when the whole "They've been running a private server!" drama kicked off.  I won't rehash how the arguments went in there.  However, as the drama unfolded, eventually the talk about "public private servers" started gaining more traction and eventually there was posting about different types.

I gravitated to Homecoming because the discussion about it indicated it was "the most like CoH when it closed."  For a while, there was some more drama about which server was better...  I just shake my head and leave the conversation.  I'm happy to have my favorite game back.  I'm happy here.  City of Heroes is back for as long as we can have it, that's good enough and good enough is perfect.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You can be a good man, the best man in the world...  But there will always be somebody who hates a good man.

I happened to be on massivelyop.com and saw an article about the Homecoming servers and (after changing pants) came here and signed up.

• Haha 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

I was searching for this video to watch with my eldest kid. I let her play with supervision (make a character, run around Atlas Park) when she was 6 or so. Found the Massively OP article instead, then immediately made my way here. Joined Homecoming that day.

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

I was on the server that got shut down prior to Homecoming ramping it back up. I think someone pinged me on Steam to tell me about it.

Even years later, I'm still highly offended that I was reachable on City of Faces and no one invited me to the SSPS.

Big meanie heads.

Course, had they done so, I would have been the one spewing youtube videos about it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I had been regularly checking out "City of Titans", "Valiance Online" and "Ship of Heroes" updates on YouTube and in doing so I actively followed "Positive Gamer" - as soon as the news broke, I was there.  First for the server that lasted like 3 weeks (?) then here since launch of Homecoming shortly after.  I love, love, love this game and nothing I've tried comes even close.

Edited by SupaFreak
omit the word "both"
  • Like 1

I was looking up super powers for a TTRPG.  I liked how CoH had the standard effects for elements - electric drains END, etc.  So I looked up CoH to get the power list - and saw a post that CoH was back.  I couldn't believe it.  And didn't believe it until I was in game playing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

I was looking up super powers for a TTRPG.  I liked how CoH had the standard effects for elements - electric drains END, etc.  So I looked up CoH to get the power list - and saw a post that CoH was back.  I couldn't believe it.  And didn't believe it until I was in game playing.

I remember the game looked different, like the powers and sounds, costumes and buildings. Then I remember that I had a CRT monitor back then! Now I have a monitor with much higher resolution, framerate, and color vibrancy to enjoy it with!

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Blind luck. I didn't really look at CoH for years, occasionally checking the odd Titan, FB and Reddit group to reminisce. Just happen to browse the sites when the secret server was revealed, next day the Discord meeting thing happened. I joined in, listened to the whole thing, code released. It all happened so fast. I think after that Discord meeting, CoH was back a few days later. 

5 hours ago, Skyhawke said:

I happened to be on massivelyop.com and saw an article about the Homecoming servers and (after changing pants) came here and signed up.

I bet you had to change your pants to go put on your old super hero spandex.

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

5 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

I remember the game looked different, like the powers and sounds, costumes and buildings. Then I remember that I had a CRT monitor back then! Now I have a monitor with much higher resolution, framerate, and color vibrancy to enjoy it with!

Yeah, I had to play it before on the lowest resolution settings.  Now I can play it on the highest.  It makes a huge difference.

6 hours ago, DougGraves said:

Yeah, I had to play it before on the lowest resolution settings.  Now I can play it on the highest.  It makes a huge difference.

And I gotta say, the experimental graphics options to run cel shading breathes some new life into the game too.  It actually helps reduce subtle clashes in materials textures when one cannot get an exact match in parts.

• Like 1

I always knew it was here but in random places across the internets I've pointed people here many times who weren't aware that this gem was back. Love homecoming and seeing people get reacquainted with the game again.

On 6/9/2023 at 1:34 PM, Veracor said:

Pure chance.  I was randomly scrolling through imgur...

This is exactly how I found out.  Scrolling through imgur after midnight one winter night in 2019. Couldn't believe my eyes when I went to check it out and found Homecoming. I sat on it a few months to see if it was too good to be true. Since it didn't seem like it was going to go away anytime soon, I signed up and here we are.

Midnight Thorn, Overlord of Ivory Tower.  (Everlasting)

Late 2020. I was playing Star Trek Online and someone in the zone chat mentioned that Rikti ship raid was happening. I said, "Oh man, I wish. CoH is the only game I miss." 

He proceeded to tell me it was back. I was very happy to find out I could go to Paragon once again. 

Edited by CaptA

• Game Master

May 2019 for me. A friend who knew I loved City of Heroes when it was live mentioned Homecoming to me. I got terribly excited and didn't believe it would be as good as I remembered, but I went on the forum and made a game account, then downloaded Tequila and away I went. The excitement as I made my first new character in years was so much that when I appeared in Atlas Park for the first time and heard the fanfare I actually cried 🙂 

And yes, it was not only as good as I remembered it was better as I now had a HD monitor, high speed internet and a great graphics card so was able to play on Ultra 😛

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Picture it, me at my computer, May 2019.  I was just making my semi-annual search on City of Heroes to see if anything was happening anywhere with the property.  Lo and behold, I came across something about Homecoming.  I exclaimed, "Which way do I go?!  Which way do I go?!"  I then found which way to go and started playing.  I had goosebumps that first time back when the music started.  Four years later, I made a forum post.

I was just browsing youtube back in 2020, and stumbled across someone's video about "Is CoH worth playing in 2020?". 

It made me go "Wait...CoH is still up?!"

Did some searches, and wound up here.

Edited by WumpusRat