Stats after each TF

This has been brought up before. It has always proven a fairly unpopular idea. I'm against it.

Edit: I should probably explain why I am against it. In the games I've played where they did this, it leads to some very toxic and elitist game play. I would rather not see that come to CoX.

Edited by Rudra
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Thumbs Down 1

I have to agree with Rudra here; there's no way to stop someone from picking, say, a Fire Blaster over an AR Defender because the Blaster will do more damage, but any time you start tracking individual performance data for damage, deaths, etc., it will ultimately wind up being used to gatekeep invites to teams and leagues, the way "must have T4 Barrier" has become the 'gear score' gatekeeper for high-difficulty Aeon SFs, because that's the way people have learned works, and it's simpler to require specific 'gear' for a known solution rather than try to work out a different one.

• Like 2

The issue, also, is that stats like "damage dealt" don't take into consideration, for instance, how much more damage everyone did because of a damage buff or resistance debuff, so only the damage dealer would get credit.  There's also no real way to track how player A's defense buff or healing prevented player B from being defeated, thereby allowing them to keep on fighting.  How would you track a tanker or brute's taunt saving the squishies from defeat?  There's too many factors for "damage dealt' or "healing performed" to be meaningful in any objective sense.  I mean, heck, imagine a team intentionally leaving an enemy healer alive just so they can up their total damage dealt rating...

Edited by biostem
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, MJABBAR88 said:

How about we get stats after a completed TF.

how many kills each player got. How many deaths for each player? Perhaps damage taken, damage dealt and heals?

The issue is the stats won't tell the real story.  The person who sits back and never dies could look like they are good but aren't contributing much and vice versa.  The dps players would show the most kills while the control and support sets would be low.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, MJABBAR88 said:

how many kills each player got. How many deaths for each player? Perhaps damage taken, damage dealt and heals?

you might be able to request your personal stats without much push back.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

21 minutes ago, Troo said:

you might be able to request your personal stats without much push back.

A strictly personal review that is not subject to others being able to view and only provides data on your own character? I can live with that. Barring any arguments made that convince me it would also be a bad idea, I'm fine with players being able to review their own performance. Though what value such information would actually be is beyond my understanding.

• Thumbs Down 2

5 hours ago, MJABBAR88 said:

If I wanted that, I would play some ego stroking game like wow.  To hell with that.  That would be the biggest thing on my list to leave the game.

This is antithetical to our very good community. 

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

7 hours ago, MJABBAR88 said:

This isn't that game, and that's precisely why we love it so much. This game emphasises other contributions; buffs, debuffs and controls, that wouldn't appear on these stats at all. Even if they could somehow be included it would still be a terrible idea for community cohesion.

A player could have been statistically the highest contributor to a tf and still been the worst teammate; not following instruction, being rude, pulling too much aggro, running off alone, etc. I'd also much rather have people who are cracking jokes and chatting away in my team than seven efficient drones spamming powers to keep their averages up.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Parabola said:

This isn't that game, and that's precisely why we love it so much. This game emphasises other contributions; buffs, debuffs and controls, that wouldn't appear on these stats at all. Even if they could somehow be included it would still be a terrible idea for community cohesion.

A player could have been statistically the highest contributor to a tf and still been the worst teammate; not following instruction, being rude, pulling too much aggro, running off alone, etc. I'd also much rather have people who are cracking jokes and chatting away in my team than seven efficient drones spamming powers to keep their averages up.

We've got something that can somewhat stand in as an example, too - mothership raids. If you're a member of vanguard, you get vanguard merits for defeated Rikti. If you're in the murderball in the middle, you can get ... eh, depending on the night, usually 900-1200 seems to be average.

If you're one of the pullers (typically tank/brute,) running out onto the edges to pull rikti in for everyone else to kill, very often you get less - you're doing the work to *get* everything, but since you're not in range, you get less. (And more directly related to the conversation, while you're possibly doing some damage to get their attention, you're probably not doing the most damage... but your contribution is *huge* to what the group needs. After-game stats like those being requested would probably show you as a bit of a slacker, though. )

You can also do things like debuff grates to have a steady stream - though slow one - coming in. Again, not something that does damage (and given the powersets that do that, you're also probably buffing, healing and rezzing people) but you're having an outsize impact that wouldn't be reflected in the stats.

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

12 hours ago, Rudra said:

This has been brought up before. It has always proven a fairly unpopular idea. I'm against it.

Yep!  You can read the thread from november HERE, and yes, I'm still against this sort of thing. (Reasons posted in the older thread)

• Thumbs Up 1

A gentle no, the statistics would have to be very complicated to get the full picture of each player's contribution.

And would led to a lot of build snobbery.

Example, a kinetics defender who is working their butt off buffing teammates to the point of not attacking a lot would have very few kills. Their buffs would have contributed to a lot of kill though. How do you account for that in the statistics?

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, 0th Power said:

I think it would be fun, but as you can see, I'm in the minority.

Seems just like ego stroking and patting yourself on the back.  If you need that, well, you need that.

I don't like what happens when it is brought into a game,

• Like 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

11 minutes ago, wjrasmussen said:

Seems just like ego stroking and patting yourself on the back.  If you need that, well, you need that.

I don't like what happens when it is brought into a game,

It can seem like that to you if that's what you need.

Edited by 0th Power

I'm totally against this. because we really don't need DPS chasers in an already DPS saturated game

However.................

Maybe implement this red side to populate it?

Villains' would more likely keep better track of scores/kills/terrorist activities.

Again i am against OP's suggestion entirely. 

I am just trying to come up with a solution instead of downvoting things without really considering all possibilities.

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

We used to have alot of statistic tracking that was viewable from the city information terminals.  Now its just a fragment of what used to be tracked but i think damage dealt is still on there.  A player could easily look at the number before starting the TF and after finishing and ..... subtract.  If there was a window that did this for you and you could zero it out then there would be a convenient personal damage tracker.

So a determined player could put in the effort to get their own damage number but not that of other players.  This shifts the question from should damage tracking be possible to should it be convenient.  Im not for being able to access other players information but if we had easier access to our own,  i wouldnt mind.  It probably would mean that there will be the occasional person who cant help but share how awesome their damage is but its not much different than the guy that checks the combat log to copy/paste that they just hit knockout blow for 4k.

Overall,  it probably wouldnt be an often used feature but a window that stores a value and then subtracts that number from its current value and displays the result is far from the worst stuff ive seen pass through the suggestion forum.  It does seem to be a very polarizing topic though and im not trying to convince anyone,  just pointing out that it could be done with what already exists ingame.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The only thing that seems toxic. Is this negativity. It’s just a stat to see how you preformed. I’m eels of deaths, kills, damage taken, damage dealt and heals.

it’s just for a tf. If someone is dumb enough to not know that you did so much damage because of -Res debuffs. Then who cares. It’s a game. It just a bit fun to see how everyone did. it’s not an official ranking etc.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

1 hour ago, MJABBAR88 said:

The only thing that seems toxic. Is this negativity. It’s just a stat to see how you preformed. I’m eels of deaths, kills, damage taken, damage dealt and heals.

it’s just for a tf. If someone is dumb enough to not know that you did so much damage because of -Res debuffs. Then who cares. It’s a game. It just a bit fun to see how everyone did. it’s not an official ranking etc.

Disagreeing with a suggestion isn't being toxic. It is disagreeing. And some of us gave reasons why we disagree. This has been implemented in other games to toxic effect. That is what we are saying.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, MJABBAR88 said:

The point is you get the stats after a TF. To see how you did. Then they’re gone. They don’t stick with you, they’re not a part of you. It’s just a little

bit of fun. 

This game is heavily played with buffs and debuffs, how would you credit them?  Control sets would be even harder.   People would just play scrappers and brutes to look good on end TF stats.  They have the best balance of not dying, getting kills, and good dps.  Buff/debuff sets half the time are watching over the team while also dodging enemy attacks since they are squishier.  End result would be more people playing melee toons thinking those stats tell the story of the best AT to play.  We need to encourage more people playing support sets than melee.

• Thumbs Up 3