World of Confusion: Why no XP?

Herotu

I'm wondering why there's no XP for mobs that die attacking each other during World of Confusion?

I mean, it's a bit like Gang War, isn't it?

/shrug. I'm just wondering.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

Gang War is a summoned posse of your pets. World of Confusion can proc confused on enemies. All confuses have the same behavior in that regard. You just have to hit them as well.

It was set.up like that so you couldn't stand around with superior invis up and auto confuse mobs to kill each other and give you benefit while you go to sleep. The OG devs rightfully didn't want you to automate the leveling process.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

You confused them but their damage isnt your damage.  The game doesnt have a way to attribute confused enemy damage to a player,  nor should it.  You do get less xp reduction from confused enemy damage.  Something like if the confused enemy does 50% and you do 50%,  you get 70% of the xp instead of 50%.  But if they do 100% you still get nothing.

• Thanks 1

Oh i was off on my numbers from the previous post.  A confused enemy doing half the damage would net you 80% of the reward.  Normally you get rewards for partial damage that follows the blue line but partial damage xp from confused enemies follows the pink line and is quite a bit higher.  You still need to do some of the damage yourself though.

Confuse_xp_graph.gif.6fe7fd58b7ec3d1b536449cd4c872360.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

The OG devs rightfully didn't want you to automate the leveling process.

But .. but .. Mastermind. 

Things have changed since OG days. I think it's time World of Confusion did, too. For the record I have no characters that use it (yet) - Maybe if it were changed, I would?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 4

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

13 minutes ago, arcane said:

Letting enemies 100% defeated by confused enemies award xp would very obviously be a terrible idea, sorry.

Agreed...

As one who has used Gang War, MM pets, and Troller Pets, there is a marked difference between them. Pets are in a way linked to you (hense defence for MM pets), so in a way you are still doing damage to the enemies. However, confusion is not only a non-damaging power, it is one that makes enemies attack their fellows, and are not linked to you in any way. So the original Dev were right to make the power xp act this way imo. But its never an issue anyways, so long as you hit them at least one time (and I for one, am never sitting on my hands doing nothing in these situations)...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Please come and join us on Friday at 2pm Central Time for our Friday Fashion Costume Contest (see the link below). We all hope to see you, yes YOU, there... And if you also wish to join our happy group, the Celestial Warriors SG, please feel free to join our Discord (see link below), and/or contact GL herself (Global is @Laucianna), or any of us if we are on in fact... 🙂

Friday Fashion Costume Contest On Excelsior (2pm Central Time)...

The Celestial Warriors Discord Channel...

1 minute ago, biostem said:

That's also kind of why mobs from "enemy generators" like some CoT portals don't give XP, either.

That was a deliberate change; originally they did, until the devs realized that they were being used to farm — a Tanker or Scrapper with a PBAoE attack could put it on autofire and go AFK in front of a portal for hours or days, earning XP until they were more than +6 to the mission and the Behemoths no longer gave XP. Additionally, the portals spewed Behemoths forever, filling entire chambers of Oranbega maps if they got triggered accidentally and no one noticed. The XP was moved to the portal and a limit (albeit sizeable) was put on the number of Behemoths spawned from each portal.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

That was a deliberate change; originally they did, until the devs realized that they were being used to farm — a Tanker or Scrapper with a PBAoE attack could put it on autofire and go AFK in front of a portal for hours or days, earning XP until they were more than +6 to the mission and the Behemoths no longer gave XP. Additionally, the portals spewed Behemoths forever, filling entire chambers of Oranbega maps if they got triggered accidentally and no one noticed. The XP was moved to the portal and a limit (albeit sizeable) was put on the number of Behemoths spawned from each portal.

Right - to prevent AFK farming, the likes of which could also be accomplished by parking your MM minions with an aggressive stance or such...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Herotu said:

I'm wondering why there's no XP for mobs that die attacking each other during World of Confusion?

I don't even need to read the thread, it's just going to be a shitshow about playing the game the right way, no shortcuts, why don't you just play on the test server and all that.

Meanwhile, if out of nowhere the devs were to triple the size and max targets for Tank AoEs, the same folks with a hard-on for farmers will bubble to the surface to tell you what a great idea it is to have triple-strength Tanks and how the original devs missed the mark on THAT one, how great it feels to finally have that addressed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

1 minute ago, roleki said:

I don't even need to read the thread, it's just going to be a shitshow about playing the game the right way, no shortcuts, why don't you just play on the test server and all that.

Meanwhile, if out of nowhere the devs were to triple the size and max targets for Tank AoEs, the same folks with a hard-on for farmers will bubble to the surface to tell you what a great idea it is to have triple-strength Tanks and how the original devs missed the mark on THAT one, how great it feels to finally have that addressed.

I'd be for allowing confused mobs to get you XP if all other mobs near them would attack them back in retaliation and if it got you aggro.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Herotu said:

Nothing like Gang War.  You reached too far with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

2 hours ago, Herotu said:

But .. but .. Mastermind. 

Things have changed since OG days. I think it's time World of Confusion did, too. For the record I have no characters that use it (yet) - Maybe if it were changed, I would?

Who cares if you play it?  But mastermind my Butt. 

• Thumbs Down 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

53 minutes ago, wjrasmussen said:

Who cares if you play it?  

The point is that I'm not biassed.

54 minutes ago, wjrasmussen said:

But mastermind my Butt. 

Could you kindly elucidate, please? 

5 hours ago, biostem said:

Right - to prevent AFK farming, the likes of which could also be accomplished by parking your MM minions with an aggressive stance or such...

MM pets don't have taunt auras, and have very low hit point pools. If you were to park your MM minions in a respawning group, they would die very fast. Its nothing like AFK farming.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Arbegla said:

MM pets don't have taunt auras, and have very low hit point pools. If you were to park your MM minions in a respawning group, they would die very fast. Its nothing like AFK farming.

That's not necessarily true, and if the MM had a healing aura or other such buff(s) that they could put on autofire, or simply could be left toggled on, then that'd cover that hole.  Further, you are assuming that these infinitely spawning enemies would be able to attack fast enough or with great enough damage to overcome the aforementioned toggles/auto-power...

Edited by biostem

1 hour ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Pretty sure it says it right in the description you don't get XP for anything killed by a confused foe.

Yes. This was one of the things that put me off trying control classes when I first started.  Teams did not want you confusing things. Or using Grav Dom “time outs” or even “relocations”.  You needed to be very careful of what control powers you used and how or the flames started.  So i just ran Brutes and ignored people.  

Now people just yoink whole spawns out of tar patch and AoEs and no one says a word.  If you say “hey, you just ruined my setup” then if anything is said back it is something like “just grouping them up”…..

So I am back to running Brutes…

• Thumbs Up 2

41 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Yes. This was one of the things that put me off trying control classes when I first started.  Teams did not want you confusing things. Or using Grav Dom “time outs” or even “relocations”.  You needed to be very careful of what control powers you used and how or the flames started.  So i just ran Brutes and ignored people.  

Now people just yoink whole spawns out of tar patch and AoEs and no one says a word.  If you say “hey, you just ruined my setup” then if anything is said back it is something like “just grouping them up”…..

So I am back to running Brutes…

I remember when Plant Control came out and Seeds of Confusion was DA BOMB. Everyone wanted a Plant Troller or Dom on their team simply for that one power. No one has ever, ever, ever liked detention powers on a team. The biggest problem being that by the time you noticed they were jailed  you already wasted 2 or 3 powers trying to attack them. All those powers should have made critters untargetable (or targetable but unattackable) while it was active, but of course that would have been too easy and make too much sense. I know there have been some changes to how some of those powers work but I can't even tell you the last time I've seen someone use one. I know I haven't. Don't think I ever have TBH. It's the same problem with Carnies and Fake Nemesis.

But yes, I find people who spam Wormhole and Fold Space to be REALLY annoying, especially since in most cases it's simply not necessary and only slows things down. It's right up there with uncontrolled AoE knockback. When I use Wormhole it's to either stun the group (plop them down in the same spot they are or bounce them off a nearby wall) or to bring a nearby spawn to us to take advantage of any debuff or buff patches that have already been placed. 

Edited by Captain Fabulous
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1