Bigotry and Racism

mechahamham

3 hours ago, JasperStone said:

The response was impressively swift in chat.

Giving the advice of reporting, posting a note, and ignoring.

Yeah.  I was not there but I know Excelsior.  It is welcoming and inclusive.  Unless someone is ignorant and hateful.  Then the crowd is vocal and unwelcoming, AND educated on how to get rid of pests 

• Like 1

what was more interesting to me was that whomever was doing it seemed to get squelched / removed, and were rapidly replaced with another who'd do the same in general, lfg and on.

all in all it was a blanket across public channels lasting ~10m.

it highlighted:

- theres not a suppression mechanism in post frequency, especially of the same text, or if this is it only considers the single user posting

- chat system probably susceptible to effective denial of channels, with only a handful of accounts

- rapidity of account creation is a good safety, youd need to staye a number of accounts over time, connect them, and then carry out such an affair.

i do not know if one can programmatically sign in and chat outside the game client, but you could drive the ui with a bank of precrested accounts.

run that through a vpn for each and on each session - and you'd have a mess maker thatd create pressure-hassle to contain for admins.

suppress on post frequency of repeating or highly similar text, keyword scanning prior to post execution, and other else those more versed in system could think to implement may create safety from such - i.e. system will not allow storms.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yesterday's channels spam of racism and being infantile on Excelsio was one global account.  Took a little bit(as first gm on scene didnt have full global/ip ban permissions per what they were saying in chat themselves), was managing the spam after the person made a new character every other minute until another gm managed to get them full banned.

It happens.  But at least this community overall has a good ability to handle it rather expeditiously and most know its not something insidiously invasive as snarky pointed out on other games like wow(man the stories I could tell on how bad I saw such things get there too... and probably still is.)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, honoroit said:

what was more interesting to me was that whomever was doing it seemed to get squelched / removed, and were rapidly replaced with another who'd do the same in general, lfg and on.

all in all it was a blanket across public channels lasting ~10m.

it highlighted:

- theres not a suppression mechanism in post frequency, especially of the same text, or if this is it only considers the single user posting

- chat system probably susceptible to effective denial of channels, with only a handful of accounts

- rapidity of account creation is a good safety, youd need to staye a number of accounts over time, connect them, and then carry out such an affair.

i do not know if one can programmatically sign in and chat outside the game client, but you could drive the ui with a bank of precrested accounts.

run that through a vpn for each and on each session - and you'd have a mess maker thatd create pressure-hassle to contain for admins.

suppress on post frequency of repeating or highly similar text, keyword scanning prior to post execution, and other else those more versed in system could think to implement may create safety from such - i.e. system will not allow storms.

As I just mentioned, it was one account doing all the malcontented behavior yesterday.  Reason it wasn't banned faster account wise was just that the first GM responder wasn't  of the tier of permissions to do so(as they again mentioned in general chat towards the end).  Another gm who could eventually got them.

Also, Im not sure its a good idea for you to be telling potential malcontents how to troll the game more there either....

• Like 2

Unless something is said in LFG, I'm essentially oblivious to it as all my characters have a single tab for it. 

Fun fact. I played with someone yesterday who by all accounts was running four characters as they all had the same keyword in their name. It felt like they were spitting out gibberish outside of the one when they mentioned how much they like using their AI speech tool. Thankfully it was just a DFB, and I left after it was complete. Needless to say I didn't get the badge for killing the AV before the rest of the mobs. 

Edited by Without_Pause
  • Sad 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

6 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

Unless something is said in LFG, I'm essentially oblivious to it as all my characters have a single tab for it. 

Fun fact. I played with someone yesterday who by all accounts was running four characters as they all had the same keyword in their name. It felt like they were spitting out gibberish outside of the one when they mentioned how much they like using their AI speech tool. Thankfully it was just a DFB, and I left after it was complete. Needless to say I didn't get the badge for killing the AV before the rest of the mobs. 

To my knowledge I believe we're restricted to having a max of 3 accounts and they cant be simul script-box run like that either.

It's been awhile since I've seen really terrible stuff, but yea, I just report their global and move on.  Maybe with a "yea, that's a report"

Part of it may be that Excelsior tends to attract those more often and I hang out on Everlasting the most.   They probably just go to the largest population to stir.

Our GMs are good at knocking them out when pointed out.I

10 minutes ago, Sanguinesun said:

To my knowledge I believe we're restricted to having a max of 3 accounts and they cant be simul script-box run like that either.

Three accounts at a time per shard.  So in theory, you could run 15 accounts simultaneously on the five shards if they're all populated at less than 1600. (And other exceptions)

And that person was breaking the code with four on one shard.

Stuff you learn from some of the farm debates, though it's in the code of conduct.

And I guess one could have even more accounts, though I have no idea why one would.

Edited by lemming

14 minutes ago, lemming said:

It's been awhile since I've seen really terrible stuff, but yea, I just report their global and move on.  Maybe with a "yea, that's a report"

Part of it may be that Excelsior tends to attract those more often and I hang out on Everlasting the most.   They probably just go to the largest population to stir.

Our GMs are good at knocking them out when pointed out.I

Funny because the one memorable issue I had was on Everlasting,  I was running a clueless Brute (hey, its me...) and the team leader got upset because I charged ahead and was loosely attached to the team.  They actually followed my other characters like an angry bird for a couple days

54 minutes ago, Sanguinesun said:

It might have been more than one person, but there were four identical characters on my team with what looked like three of them spouting out gibberish. Typically it was one of them saying the keyword they had in their names.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

3 hours ago, nihilii said:

But now, there's a genuine racist counterculture.

Not that I don't believe you.

But if people are reporting and blocking, where does this "counterculture" live in the game?

If you're talking out IRL, that's politics.  Something that needs to be assiduously avoided at all costs.

• Thumbs Up 2

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

14 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

Not that I don't believe you.

But if people are reporting and blocking, where does this "counterculture" live in the game?

If you're talking out IRL, that's politics.  Something that needs to be assiduously avoided at all costs.

im not going to get warned, so i'll simply say  - you are you behind a keyboard, its why codes of conduct exist. they address the human.

• Confused 1

I have seen a fair share of panda hate I must say.

A lot people out there want to make panda steaks. That's constitutes a hostile work environment people.

• Haha 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

the machines can see humans, and some will decry it as end of an imagined privacy, before they were categorized many times a second. 

its already known, its more of a problem as to what to do to address the wickedness of Man.

for every utterance that is in earshot, for every scratching put to media that can be seen. 

i welcome it.

-- honoroit, herald of joy

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, nihilii said:

It used to be there were pockets of ugly behavior in the most toxic communities, sure. Basically individuals using the most heinous stuff they can think of, either in frustration or to upset their enemies. With a select few nutjobs who genuinely believed these things and used the platform to air it out.

Like the immoral Palanians, who emmfoze in public.

Re: the thread title, yes. Bigotry should be stamped out wherever it pops up. However, remember that homecoming is essentially f2p so it's not too hard for one or a few very persistent trolls to continually make new accounts behind a VPN and come to stir trouble. It's not as though you have to make a purchase, or have played for X period of time to get chat privileges. I consider this more likely than genuine widespread acceptance of hate-based ideologies.

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Zect said:

Re: the thread title, yes. Bigotry should be stamped out wherever it pops up. However, remember that homecoming is essentially f2p so it's not too hard for one or a few very persistent trolls to continually make new accounts behind a VPN and come to stir trouble. It's not as though you have to make a purchase, or have played for X period of time to get chat privileges. I consider this more likely than genuine widespread acceptance of hate-based ideologies.

This.  Again I have ( as have so many of you) played on HC for a long time.  Yes, once in a while someone will say something rude.  Even more rare someone will say something bigoted. Very Rare.  Rarer than me getting a purple recipe by far.  WE shut it down.  Thank you

Edited by Snarky

I have encountered racism a single time during all my time playing this game. I admit I have been gone for a year or better now (meaning if racism activity has increased, I would not be aware of it) and only have recently returned after @Number Six was gracious and created a /command that enabled the stacking hit sound effects, (Thank you Number Six! Any slash commands to bring back No Fade Toggles??? I know, I'm pushing my luck, lol) that's when Number Six quickly became my personal Superhero! Now that I am done groveling at Number Six's feet, lol... However, I simply reported him, ignored him and now I can't even remember the guy's name. Good riddance is all I can say.

Edited by Solarverse
Edited for clarity
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Snarky said:

This.  Again I have ( as have so many of you) played on HC for a long time.  Yes, once in a while someone will say something rude.  Even more rare someone will say something bigoted. Very Rare.  Rarer than me getting a purple recipe by far.  WE shut it down.  Thank you

see maybe its me being extremely unlucky, but that is not the play experience i encounter every day or two - an event like the racist post swarm IS exceptionally rare.

however, snide remarks, targeted xenophobia (see pandas, what ine does to pandas, what one wants to do to pandas, how one burns pandas in a pit... its regular enough to have me wondering if everlasting is free of this)

a thin shroud, and the same offenders (probably) i dont want to filter them, because they announce on public channels and this ends up hurting a lot of people.

i want to see it when it happens, scold them, report them if an issue can be contrived,  and i want it to go away.