Frostfire side rooms

Perfidy

I cannot believe some of the junk I heard yesterday...until I checked the global name. I was on PUG to do the Frostfire arc yesterday. The team was pretty decent for a pug. Only a couple of defeats. 

Some chatter was taking place and someone mentioned that if they were playing an MM, they would be using the pets a certain way. I joked that if I were on an MM, I'd be in a farm because I'm not very good at playing an MM, and even admitted that the reason why I'm probably not good at MMs is because I would level them up to a point in a farm. 

As you might imagine, there were different opinions, which is as it should be. But then, this one player, who frequents these forums and gets into all manner of debates, states that we need to clear the side rooms or the mobs will rush in the room when we're fighting Frostfire. 

I debated calling him out, but decided against it, because I hadn't played in a while, but I had just solo'd FF on an alt last week. So I know with a 0/1 setting, there is no ambush. 

I had to chuckle, but then I got a little miffed. Why was this person lying about it? Was he really that concerned that some folks might rush ahead and complete the mission? We hadn't seen any of that type of behavior in the missions previous, and the team composition hadn't changed. Same folks, all waiting at the door politely for everyone to train up before entering. Letting the mission holder click the glowies, as courtesy suggests. And, frankly, if the mission did get completed, the rest of us could have cleared the mission as planned. 

Has there been a change? I don't think so - but maybe there is an ambush that only occurs for large teams? Or it would occur if I remained in the mission long enough? I don't think so, as I did skate around on the ice a little bit. 

Why did this strange person mislead the team? Or has something changed that I missed in the patch notes? 

They might not be aware of the true state of an ambush in the mission and going by memory via the Mandela Effect.

As an aside, the first person I was aware that was renamed to Generic Hero  ####### was the original Frostfire of the Guardian Server who predated the Hollows. The guy quit the game about a couple hours after logging in to realize that he had been name nerfed by the Devs.

• Haha 1

Don't attribute to malice what may be chalked up to misremembering. Or old age.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I rarely do Frostfire.  When I do, it is for the badge.  I am almost always on an exemplared toon, sometimes one custom designed for content in that level range if I am seriously badging.  Basically, it is always lulz for me.

I know many do FrostFire as a "mini farm" or a "walk down memory lane" or a ritual with any new toon.  I almost always approach it with the attitude that we will clear everything.  That team wants experience and to savor the moment.  Sometimes the leader even bumps the level, which makes the first floor or two challenging.  Just grind and clean.  Everything.  By the time you get to FF you are cakewalking the baby home.

6 minutes ago, TheZag said:

Possibly their pets had problems with pathing on the ice in the past and pulled agro on the sides.  Its easy to look like extra groups came to help when in reality the pets pulled it.

In the office bldg room with three floors and walkways across room on top floor (hole in center to bottom) I have seen ninjas pull every mob in the room, all 3 floors.  epic.  bad.  funny.  but epic.  

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Strange that you went straight to “lying”

Maybe they misremembered, or genuinely believed that an ambush took place.

It was an evil plot, premeditated and planned to the last detail.  Then lied about to cover up the plan.  I should know, I was subcontracted to assist.

Dirty deeds done dirt cheap (cover intro) - YouTube

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Perfidy said:

Why was this person lying about it?

13 hours ago, Perfidy said:

Why did this strange person mislead the team?

Trolls be trolls?

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

15 hours ago, Perfidy said:

I cannot believe some of the junk I heard yesterday...until I checked the global name. I was on PUG to do the Frostfire arc yesterday. The team was pretty decent for a pug. Only a couple of defeats. 

Some chatter was taking place and someone mentioned that if they were playing an MM, they would be using the pets a certain way. I joked that if I were on an MM, I'd be in a farm because I'm not very good at playing an MM, and even admitted that the reason why I'm probably not good at MMs is because I would level them up to a point in a farm. 

As you might imagine, there were different opinions, which is as it should be. But then, this one player, who frequents these forums and gets into all manner of debates, states that we need to clear the side rooms or the mobs will rush in the room when we're fighting Frostfire. 

I debated calling him out, but decided against it, because I hadn't played in a while, but I had just solo'd FF on an alt last week. So I know with a 0/1 setting, there is no ambush. 

I had to chuckle, but then I got a little miffed. Why was this person lying about it? Was he really that concerned that some folks might rush ahead and complete the mission? We hadn't seen any of that type of behavior in the missions previous, and the team composition hadn't changed. Same folks, all waiting at the door politely for everyone to train up before entering. Letting the mission holder click the glowies, as courtesy suggests. And, frankly, if the mission did get completed, the rest of us could have cleared the mission as planned. 

Has there been a change? I don't think so - but maybe there is an ambush that only occurs for large teams? Or it would occur if I remained in the mission long enough? I don't think so, as I did skate around on the ice a little bit. 

Why did this strange person mislead the team? Or has something changed that I missed in the patch notes? 

i do frostfire quite often and am unaware of any ambushes. I do, however, see a lot of players who like to be very bossy and have things done their way. I am fairly new to the game tho and could be wrong but usually by the time a team gets to Frostfire ambushes are not really a threat of any sort they just have to be dealt with. But thats the fun part.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ghost said:

i would have assumed there would be one also, it’s quite common on those maps

do i have a hidden agenda? am i part of a nemesis plot? who knows. stay alert

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Ghost said:

Fair enough. I think the drama I've read on these very board by this person impacted my initial thoughts. But..yeah, they certainly could be simply mistaken. Thanks for the correction. 

• Like 1

Yea, they're probably just mistaken.  I don't recall any ambushes, but the side rooms were almost always cleared because Keystone(?) was usually in one.  Plus, you want to clear because then you can have a sledding session.

There's a bunch of places where things have changed, but people are still locked into an old idea.

There's also a few behaviors that people insist are the one true way, but tend to fit into the "not really, but doing it that way doesn't cause an issue"

I love FF, one of the best missions I game. I run it routinely on all new toons.

There are no triggered ambushes, you can bypass everything but the altar, the key holder and FF.

When you get to FF the most widely accepted best tactic is to bum rush frosty and hold/kd/arrest him as fast as possible, to prevent him from summoning pets like jack, who are murderous to low level TO/DO toons. Then, when he's arrested, the mission completes so the team can keep fighting but if you are near death you can exit if needed.

That said, the reason this mission is so great is, because of how much you learn and how much tactics matters when you're new, or running an SO only OG type of style.

For example, you attack the 3 MOBs standing in a hallway and the rest of the group is sneakily hidden in a room, but the same group with the same aggro proximity, they poor out of the room and wipe the group. Or when you get to the ice slide room, and there's one MOB standing there, looking innocent.... And all his buddies drop on you from above, the second he is aggro'd.

The OG mission designers made this one mission really well, it taught us all about line of sight, corner pulling, proximity, aggro range and team work.

But no, you don't have to clear anything to prevent ambushes.

Edited by SwitchFade
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/11/2023 at 12:11 PM, pawstruck said:

This is such a weird thread. This one, tiny thing impacted you so much that it's merited all this? 'kay.

I think OG wanted a bit of clarity and others just chimed in with what they know to help out.   Ignore the drama and just state the facts is the best reply method I find.

• Thumbs Up 1