If you could make a new archetype or epic archetype, what would it be?

Drakwatch

If you could make any new archetype or epic AT, what would you make? Is there a role you'd like to play that the current archetypes do not fill? Or is there a type of comic hero / villain you'd like to play that isn't represented in the game currently? Anything goes for this topic.

I always thought a Tank-mage class would be cool; Primary is an armor / support mix, and secondary would be melee.

Also, an epic archetype with size-shifting powers would be amazing. Who knows how many technical issues it would bring up (doorways being one of them), but it would fit right into a superhero game just fine.

"All thoughts of retreat are discarded as counterproductive, there is no other course of action but to press on. You've been caught in an unseen orbit, around a power you cannot possibly fathom."

Everlasting - Gradivus, Amarillo Starlight, Hullbreak, Hyperblink, Matchlight
Previously on Guardian, Triumph, Liberty, and Freedom

More of a hybrid similar to a Fort, but with different sets.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I think every legitimate combination of the current powersets is in the game now.

Y'know what would be fun, though? A true transformer type... You can transform into any enemy, let's say, that you can get in range of. Maybe that's your T1 power, and the rest of your set can be powers you acquire through playing the game (but you can only have, say, 8 at a time).

Impossible to balance, probably, but cool!

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah a Support/Armor or Armor/Support AT would be about it, though I would rather see additional power sets than a new AT but whatevah.

Edited by High_Beam
Spelling correction
  • Like 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Wasn't there another EAT in the works? Pre-wings.

However... 

What if you could earn the ability to play as one of the enemies in the game? There may be six options- 2 per side (or one per side for 3 )

How about a Coralax and have the power choice laid out like Widows and SoA, where are certain points you have to make a direction choice?

That is just an example....spitballing

There could be better enemy options for proliferation in this way.

*Now I want to be a Carnie 🙂

Edited by JasperStone
added Carnie

/e poofgone

Dynamic Duo - sort of like a limited Mastermind. During character creation you actually create the hero and the sidekick, and they travel together. Some of the powers have animations have the 2 work together:

Iron Man Captain America GIF - Iron Man Captain America Winter Soldier -  Discover & Share GIFs

Bonus points for BAP, POW, and THUNK!

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 5

Armored melee support. And by melee I don't mean "assault" like Rebirth's Guardian. I mean actual real big-boy melee stuff like Battle Axe and War Mace, so that we could create Paladin-style character concepts like Uther (Warcraft) or Brigitte (Overwatch). 

I'd also try to do it as three sets (primary, secondary, AND tertiary) instead of two like Rebirth (Assault/Composition), because armored melee supports are iconic for using stuff like shields and maces in other games but we don't really have a "shield support" set. So since most primaries/secondaries come with 9 powers, for a total of 18, this would give our paladin-wannabe 6 powers per set (same total of 18). 

Some sets would be easier to translate into this than others (i.e. Empathy could combine the regen and recovery auras into one). Maybe their armors could combine S/L and E/N/F/C stuff together instead of splitting them up like most do currently. Since most people skip either the T1 or T2 in an attack set, dropping the weaker of the two would be an easy way to work towards that quota.

The epic pools would let them pick up some of the powers that got cut from their condensed primary/secondary/tertiary sets and like 1 or 2 ranged attacks. 

Edited by FupDup
  • Like 1

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

Would have to agree with Gawstruck, for the most part, but I do occasionally wonder if it'd be possible to do a sort of AT-combination bit; e.g., Scrapper with, say, half a dozen powers from a Defender's secondary power-set, and so forth.  Sure, the extant power-pools do allow a considerable degree of variation already, but again, perhaps that hybrid type with a higher xp-per-level requirement as a bit of a trade-off.

A couple ideas

1.  A true mecha class where its a robotic hero and like some of the other EAT it has a few branches you go down that can lock out others.  IE go Kinetics or Energy but not both.  

2.  Pure support style class, like a class that could take double defender abilities, would suck solo, but be a godsend in teams providing massive buffs and boosts 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brian9824 said:

A couple ideas

2.  Pure support style class, like a class that could take double defender abilities, would suck solo, but be a godsend in teams providing massive buffs and boosts 

Controllers are kinda sorta like that already because I classify crowd control as a form of psuedo-support in itself. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

I'd dig a Rikti EAT, with branches for Mentalist/Mesmerist psy control/kinetics/sword melee; Soldier rifle/sword blapper hybrid; Guardian pistol/rad/shield buffer; and Communication Officer mastermind type (complete with monkey pets!).

Storyline-wise, you could go down the Restructurist path, a more villainous one started with Ambassador Kuhr-Rekt in Grandville, and a Traditionalist path (heroic) working with Paragon Heroes; all post-invasion plot.

• Thumbs Up 4

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

I would have a Melee/Pets AT! Since it would have no armor or support, your pets would trade damage output for more bulkiness and Taunt. Send them in first to take the heat, allowing you to run in and scrap! The Inherent would be a rally-style mechanic where your successful attacks grant your pets a scaling damage buff and heal over time!

• Thumbs Up 3

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

I'd see what could be done with a melee/support or melee/pets AT. Figuring out a clever inherent power is probably key. These would mainly be for concept and playstyle.

Maybe an AT with assault for their primary and a secondary that is a defensive version of the assault sets, with a combination of armours, control and support. Call it the Elementalist or something. If you want to make it an epic AT it could have four mini-pools of melee, ranged, defence and support (with control elements thrown in here and there as appropriate) and you'd have to pick an element for each.

7 hours ago, Oklahoman said:

Dynamic Duo - sort of like a limited Mastermind. During character creation you actually create the hero and the sidekick, and they travel together. Some of the powers have animations have the 2 work together:

Bonus points for BAP, POW, and THUNK!

I wonder if the Freedom Phalanx historical Vambrace could fit this. ⬆️

I've got two, though I freely admit it would take too much to create them:

1. Amphibious - here's where your Aquaman (natural), Swamp Thing (scientific), and Black Manta (technological) knockoffs get their start.  The problem is, we've no underwater zones.  Amphibious would have natural abilities in hypothetical aquatic zones that other archetypes would not, such as increased strength, durability, speed, greater control of movement, and long-term breathing underwater.  On land, they could receive a bonus when fighting in water, such as the park lake in Perez Park, or when teamed with water, storm, or ice power users.

2. Elasticity - while initially I considered this as a power set, I realized it would probably be better implemented like a Kheldian or Arachnos character.  Elasticity could have qualities such as ranged attacks from elastic arms, stretch-wrap melee holds, high resistance to projectile attacks (which might have a provision for creating brief team protection), rubber-faced mimic abilities acting like a stealth, and a reduced resistance to ice attacks.  Elasticity could have it's own travel power abilities such as creating long legs for speed running, stretching to reach higher vertical surfaces, flying squirrel-like glider abilities, even using a self-slingshot technique that would act a bit like a superjump. 

The Legion AT

A pet class of sorts, but without a master. i.e. the AT not focusing on being an individual character, but a swarm of things. Like you’d just see from the perspective of one of the horde in the middle, but powers wouldn't control individuals necessarily. Think Gremlins, Critters, army of possessed toys, ghosts, a blob, Hamidon like.

The AT mechanic would be Chaos. You'd have powers that increase or decrease chaos.. High chaos would increase damage of your horde, but at the expense of control. Youd have an increasing chance they wouldnt follow dorections (the clicks/toggles) and at very high Chaos, they'd get confused. 

I feel like that would be fun to try to keep that balance. In extreme situations, like a team wipe, they could be amped up to 11. I think youd want to cap the chaos based on team member proximity or itd be a farm exploit.

A "solo" "support/control" AT

Control sets get a lot of AoE control powers.  Support sets get a lot of help the team support and just a lot of support.

I would like powersets that are half support and half control.  Basically take the first half of a support set and the first half of a control set, alternate the powers each level, and get a mixed support and control set.  Similar to what Dark Miasma gets.

Then you could have ranged and solo ATs with the sets either as primary or secondary and blaster or scrapper attack sets as the other powerset.

• Thumbs Up 1

Definitely on board with a "dynamic duo" Epic AT - make 2 characters, with either partial or weaker powersets to choose from (and level up with).  The best gimmick, I think, wouldn't necessarily be having combo moves between them, but being able to switch between them freely (or on a short cooldown), with the other half being AI-controlled (MM style).

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd make a pair of Praetorian Epic Archetypes (PEAT), modeled somewhat after the VEATs. There would be two starting points with two (diverging) paths. I'm lazy so I'll explain them based on male/female, but there are only slightly canonical reasons for this.

Female Path: Starts with a "Resistance/Teamwork" path (like Arachnos Widows), and starts with "Underground" contacts. At level 24, hard choices (i.e. respec) occurs and there are two divergent paths:

• A "Seer" path <- the character is given some autonomy, obviously
  • A "Carnival of Light" path

Male path: Starts with a "Police/Training" path (akin to Arachnos Soldiers), and starts with "PPD" contacts. At level 24 is when the "hard choices" happen, with two different options:

• An "IDF" path
  • A "Devoured/Infected" path <- this would be a slight change to canon in which the Praetorian mad science is experimenting with hybridized Devouring Earth/IDF soldiers to combat Hamidon

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/27/2023 at 11:01 AM, Drakwatch said:

If you could make any new archetype or epic AT, what would you make?

Remember, the "Epic AT" is more than just creating an AT - it's diving in and focusing on some specific part of the lore.

Personally I'd start with finally bringing out the Blood of the Black Stream, and everything related to them.

Second, and probably the easiest, I'd create a redside Nictus path with a few power changes from Warshade, primarily to explore that side of the Kheldian war lore.

• Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Melee / Support - I can do this with a night widow but in a very limited way... with only claws and buffs.  I want that same play style, but with all the other  options.... A Dual Blade / Storm  toon for example.  And bonus points if you give us a legitimate tanky customizable pet as a cherry on top.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow