Fear Deserves its own Purple/Very Rare Set

Mystoc

Every other mez control effect in the game has one but not fear why is that?

image.png.ee15074f4096fbe99666febe2f0126eb.png

There are enough sources of fear in the game from powers to justify it as well. The Devs have added new enhancements sets before in the past so I think this a good idea thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 8

There are certainly more fear powers than confuse powers, so I can't really argue against a purple fear set if there's a purple confuse set. That said, because the base duration of most fear powers is so long, you're usually better off slotting a set that enhances the power's secondary effect. In most cases this means slotting an accurate tohit debuff set. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

11 hours ago, Mystoc said:

Every other mez control effect in the game has one but not fear why is that?

The devs were afraid to put one in. Why else? 🙂

But, yeah. Wouldn't argue against it on its own. Would prefer some more interesting bonuses though, rather than people grabbing it up to the point of getting *yet more* global recharge.

• Haha 4

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

39 minutes ago, Vanden said:

I believe Paragon Studios at one point planned to have a purple fear set called Omniphobia, but never implemented it for some reason.

mmm thanks for the cool name 🙂 

hope its not taken already

do you have any additional info about the set?

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

I'm of two minds on this.  While it does seem unfair that all the other mezzes have a purple set and fear doesn't, I also find it unfair that the sets favor ranged characters, especially blasters, controllers and dominators.

So maybe a universal mez purple set with some damage in it or a universal armor purple set that could go in resistance or defense?  I think just about everyone could get mileage out of those.

But if we stick with just fear, I'd vote for Phobophobia, the fear of fear itself!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Bionic_Flea said:

I'm of two minds on this.  While it does seem unfair that all the other mezzes have a purple set and fear doesn't, I also find it unfair that the sets favor ranged characters, especially blasters, controllers and dominators.

So maybe a universal mez purple set with some damage in it or a universal armor purple set that could go in resistance or defense?  I think just about everyone could get mileage out of those.

But if we stick with just fear, I'd vote for Phobophobia, the fear of fear itself!

It always seemed weird to me that there wasn't a mez equivalent to Overwhelming Force, it would be nice to get something like that.  What's also weird: Entomb.  What's the rationale behind a random Hold set?

Well, which is it, young feller?  You want I should freeze or get down on the ground?
If'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop.  And if'n I drop I'll be in motion.

*shrug*  It's one of the winter sets, so not totally random.  And the +absorb proc is a bit less common than straight damage.  But yeah, a purple or universal mez set with damage would my my first choice for a new IO set.  Oh!  And as a 6th piece proc give it something like Contagious Confusion -- a chain reaction that bounces between enemies doing minor damage and random mez! (hold, immmob, stun, fear, confuse, or sleep).  That would be awesome in some pets as well as for players.

Edited by Bionic_Flea

14 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

more sets means more options

more options means more variety

sounds good to me.

what would this set look like, bonus-wise?

it would most likely have have a similar set bonuses to confuse but inversed

(2) 4% recovery

(3) 4% enhance feared

(4) 4% damage buff

(5) 10% recharge

(6) 5% melee def 2.5 smash defense and 2.5 lethal defense (you get melee defense cause enemies feared are too scared to get up close!)

and the proc would be a -defense one maybe -10 all defense? (lowered to be -10 based on feedback)

scared enemies are easier to attack after all since don't defend themselves as well while panicked.

Edited by Mystoc
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Mystoc said:

and the proc would be a -defense one maybe -20 all defense?

That is entirely too OP. I can understand up to -7.5%, but not -20%. If we use -2.5% as the base value, which is likely high and either -1.25% or -0.625% would be the more likely base in my opinion, then the purple set would have a -10% value. Which makes it the highest possible value given the available base numbers. (If we use fear's base value of 1.1%, then that would make it have a value of -4.4% DEF.)

6 minutes ago, Rudra said:

That is entirely too OP. I can understand up to -7.5%, but not -20%. If we use -2.5% as the base value, which is likely high and either -1.25% or -0.625% would be the more likely base in my opinion, then the purple set would have a -10% value. Which makes it the highest possible value given the available base numbers. (If we use fear's base value of 1.1%, then that would make it have a value of -4.4% DEF.)

yeah prolly to much ill change it there are -20 res procs, so that's why I said it, I am fine with whatever number it ends up being but I do believe it should be - defense proc

Edited by Mystoc
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Mystoc said:

and the proc would be a -defense one maybe -10 all defense? (lowered to be -10 based on feedback)

scared enemies are easier to attack after all since don't defend themselves as well while panicked.

A defense debuff proc wouldn't be very useful. Everybody already has their accuracy and tohit buffed to the gills. I think the proc should be another status effect. Look at the procs on the other purple mezz sets:

Absolute Amazement: Chance for To Hit Debuff

Coercive Persuasion: Contagious Confusion

Fortunata Hypnosis: Chance for Placate

Gravitational Anchor: Chance for Hold

Unbreakable Constraint: Chance for Smashing Damage

I would suggest a stun or immobilize proc, or alternatively, a range debuff proc.

13 hours ago, Mystoc said:

(6) 5% melee def 2.5 smash defense and 2.5 lethal defense (you get melee defense cause enemies feared are too scared to get up close!)

Most fear powers are used by controllers, dominators, defenders and corruptors. I don't think melee defense would be that valuable to them. What about 5% S/L and 2.5% melee? 

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

4 hours ago, Dona Eis Requiem said:

Proc : 

Widespread Terror - Witnessing the utterly terror-stricken state of their counterparts, all foes within (insert appropriate range) have 

a random effect applied. Hold/immobilize/stun and even confusion all seem an appropriate fear response.

If you're going to go that route, then just make it a contagious fear effect.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dona Eis Requiem said:

I was actually going to suggest that at first but, I thought it was kinda boring. The random effect seemed a bit more flavorful and "fear-specific." 

Except the basic fear effect already has expected fear effects, so trying to randomly assign an immob, a hold, a stun, and a confuse doesn't make as much sense to me. The fear effect already has a chance to make mobs run away or stand there and cower. And while I get fear-induced paralysis, it's not as strong as a hold effect. Even fear paralyzed targets will still struggle and fight when the source of the fear is physically harming them. So the hold and stun effects don't work since they would lock out the target's ability to even fight back at all even when the target is being harmed but not restrained, which I have not heard of fear being able to do. (Edit: Pain has a pretty amazing ability to snap even the most terrified person out of inaction. Even just a forceful slap to the face can get a person thinking and acting again.)

Edited by Rudra

4 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I’d say it would be reasonable to mimic the purple sleep set in terms of bonuses.  Every character can get a fear power so I’d hesitate to mimic the confuse set.  A neat proc might be a chance for -10% damage for ten seconds. Too scared to hit hard!

That works. So would a ToHit debuff. Too scared to shoot straight, and swinging wildly in panic.

I would think it would follow standard purple set bonuses or Apocalypse bonuses or Confuse bonuses.  Not likely to diverge from an already set up combo?

4% Recovery

4% Fear

4% Damage

10% Recharge

5% Pick a Positional Defense

Is my guess for how they'd do it, by copying Confuse.

But what would the proc be?  I'd like +Negative Damage Proc!

More Proc damage!

Or change it up to a Heal Proc!  The best of Heal Procs!

Edited by BrandX

off topic, but now I also want a low level fear enhancement set that's just named 'Vague Sense of Unease'.

Edit: oh, and more on topic I just had the idea of the fear proc being -Res or possibly both -res and -def and call it Impending Doom!

Edited by Sakura Tenshi
  • Like 1