toxic teammate

schrodingercat

On 2/11/2024 at 11:48 AM, schrodingercat said:

How do you handle people being toxic at you specifically as a defender?

I know I'm kinda late to the game on this one, but my 2 inf is to start by, as gently as possible, suggest a different course of action as to how the team is operating, and should you get significant negative feedback, kindly excuse yourself from the team, (preferably sticking it out for the duration of the mission if at all possible).

Edited by biostem
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 12:41 AM, Zect said:

The AT is called defender not butler or nanny. That’s all that really needs to be said to them.

I believe the version I saw was "I'm a Defender, not a kindergarten teacher." Possibly prefaced with "D***it Jim!"

• Haha 4
  • Banjo 1

On 2/13/2024 at 11:37 AM, Duckbutler said:

There's a lot going on here.

This is what gets me. Isn't there an aggro cap of like 16 targets attacking a single player? And like, on an 8 player team spawns tend to be more than 8 mobs so there will definitely be mobs running around loose if you try to pull more than 1 pack at a time without killing at least some of it? It's fine if you have maybe a tank and a brute or if you have a tank and control powers in the group. But then you leave unenhanced lowbies alone attacking boss mobs that are +5 to them and they're doing like 10% of their damage potential. It's not great.

They did tweek threat and aggro recently if I'm not mistaken so the HCWiki article is not only old but probably slightly out of date but likely still of value.  That said the aggro cap is (was?) 17 or 1 greater than, outside of Incarnate abilities, the largest damage AoEs.  Your threat list can be greater and is constantly recalculating so as foes are defeated new ones will aggro onto you from your threat list.  Your tauntless rusher will likely aggro the latest mobs as they will now likely be highest on his list.  Meanwhile the bosses that would otherwise continue to follow him now look at their threat list and now the that debuffing support character who's still attacking find themselves zooming up the list ... and the MI or DRM turns their attention on the attacking support.  And disaster is set up.

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2024 at 2:35 AM, Chronicler J said:

If the game requires Healing, the content is turned up just right. 

Oh I agree there always needs to be some sort of healing, even if its just my cold domination defender frantically spamming my power with the defender heal proc slotted in it (I did this for posi 2, everyone else was happy but i grew several white hairs) lol

• 2 weeks later
On 2/12/2024 at 7:16 AM, Ringo said:

If someone accuses a Sonic Defender of "letting teammates die" they don't know anything and are talking out of their ass.

'Talking out of their ass' is like the worst Power Pool to take and typically only picked up by posterior head-adornments.

Edited by Oubliette_Red
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

I mean, this is clearly entirely your fault for letting team mates die. You're the one who chose to roll a Defended. Didn't you click the checkbox that said "I will never let a team mate die under any circumstances, regardless of how terrible they play, and if I fail at saving their stupid ass I will feel eternal shame"? Listen, you're a Defender. The Hero who saves Heroes. If i want to go six zones away and solo a GM on my squishy unslotted blaster, and I die, it's YOUR fault. Your big blue shield means "lalalala I can do whatever I want, the Defender will fix it!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, schrodingercat said:

i swear to god this is what people think!

I like playing with those people when I'm on my rad defender, because I get plenty of opportunity to use fallout and vengeance. The may have been one time I just recalled a body a few times and used fallout/veng as he was more valuable to the team dead than alive. I told him I would rez him but it's on cool down and I'd get him as soon as it was back.

Edited by SeraphimKensai
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

As a player of many Defenders I feel your pain and frustration.

And when I go to use a buff or even a heal and find the teammate in question is not with the main body but several walls and rooms away they tend to fall off my mental target list.  I'll 'chase' you a short way at a fork in the halls as even decent teams can sometimes get split but that's about the limit of me chasing anyone.  After that triage gets applied and I stick with the main group.  "Advice" is noted for potential value or ignored as appropriate.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, schrodingercat said:

i swear to god this is what people think!

I'm sure some people think that way, because I'm guilty of it some times too...

Although I tend to be reckless regardless, so it's more "Oh I can be reckless and maybe survive" vs "Eh, that +5 boss looks kinda mean...On the other hand, YOLO!" And I never call any one out. It's my own stupid fault for leaping into the middle of a mob just because I'm hoping there's enough buffs on me to keep me on my feet, and I acknowledge it. Usually on my walk of shame back from the hospital.

Actually that reminds me, I once ran ITF with a guy (don't remember his AT, but definitely a support toon) who claimed no one died on his watch. I told him "Challenge accepted!" True to his word, he kept me up the whole TF. I tried, I really did. I just couldn't get too deep into it to overcome his support powers. Guy was a real pro.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The notion that "you have buffs, therefore you are obligated to keep them on me" sickens me.  Those with support powers, as others have already mentioned, are not your personal nanny, nor do said powers give you license to be reckless.  Now, don't get me wrong - such buffs/heals/debuffs can greatly increase the margin for error, but it also seems people assume that means that said defender(s) will focus solely on them.  It's sort of like the mindset that if there's a tanker then no enemy will ever turn their attention toward the blaster(s)...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrPengy said:

Although I tend to be reckless regardless, so it's more "Oh I can be reckless and maybe survive" vs "Eh, that +5 boss looks kinda mean...On the other hand, YOLO!" And I never call any one out. It's my own stupid fault for leaping into the middle of a mob just because I'm hoping there's enough buffs on me to keep me on my feet, and I acknowledge it. Usually on my walk of shame back from the hospital.

Actually that reminds me, I once ran ITF with a guy (don't remember his AT, but definitely a support toon) who claimed no one died on his watch. I told him "Challenge accepted!" True to his word, he kept me up the whole TF. I tried, I really did. I just couldn't get too deep into it to overcome his support powers. Guy was a real pro.

Oh I do this too, but only on the characters "Hey guys watch this" (ar/traps corrupter) and "what could go wrong" (poison/sonic defender) because I am trying to live up to their names 😄It makes for a good group joke~

21 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

I like playing with those people when I'm on my rad defender, because I get plenty of opportunity to use fallout and vengeance. The may have been one time I just recalled a body a few times and used fallout/veng as he was more valuable to the team dead than alive. I told him I would rez him but it's on cool down and I'd get him as soon as it was back.

This 100%. Pretty sure it's why the Devs gave us Vengence in the first place.

On Defiant, there was a particularly infamous loudmouthed elbowhead and all-round serial troll whose globalname consisted of three letters beginning with "L".
It got to be something of a running joke that the only time regular players would suffer their presence on a team was if they needed an extra dead body to teleport around...

image.png.db31ecb081cb7ab95ecd887fb39caa76.png

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later
On 4/6/2024 at 11:04 AM, Onlyasandwich said:

What fun is it if you don't have at least one foolish person on the team to test your limits? 😀

true, it does sharpen my game when i actually try to save the person standing in fire without letting the rest of the team die!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later
Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2024 at 7:39 PM, MrPengy said:

I tend to play Scrappers, and have a terrible case of Scrapperlock, even when I am playing as other ATs, such as defenders and controllers, so I get what you are saying. I tend to jump in and sometimes get in over my head and faceplant. That's all on me, and I accept that. However, there are far too many players that refuse to take responsibility for their own actions, and will blame everyone, other than themselves, for their failures.

Heck, I even tell people that I am a Feral Scrapper (yes, that is me posting on page 7) when I ask to join a group, because I want absolutely no misconceptions about my playstyle going in. I have even told the defenders, and other supports, that if I somehow get separated from the group to focus on the others, what happens to me is on me.

That said, when I am playing as a support, I do try to keep the team buffed and the enemies debuffed, throwing out heals on occasion (if my powerset has it). If the team splits into two groups, I ALWAYS stick with the group that is actually trying to play as a team, and not the rushers/run offs. They made the choice to run away from the group and they can pay the price for that. If they try to blame me, I toss it back at them saying they should know better than to separate from the group, and the consequences are on them, not me. If they persist, the 1-star note, and possibly an ignore, are good for my personal enjoyment of the game.

Edited by Culach
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/11/2024 at 11:48 AM, schrodingercat said:

At this point one of the teammates, a controller, yells at me for telling him how to play because he knows how to play, and I shouldn't give advice since I let two people die.

Like i'm sonic/sonic, if you do something like run away from me and get yourself killed, that is on you.

My recommendation is to just let them die and not tell them how to play. If they verbally get after you first, then it’s fine to defend yourself and point out what they are doing to contribute to their own deaths. 

• 2 weeks later

I'm just dipping my toe in the support pool BUT having played long enough now to understand, I don't leave the group behind nor let them pull away from me unless I can handle the situation solo. But I really enjoy running with support, it's more fun. On the flip side I ran an ITF the other day with 6 tanks (4 brutes, 2 tankers) and 1 support and a blaster and it was equally as smooth since we just divided the aggro so none of us were overwhelmed. 

I'm building a Kin/Storm I've got a funny concept and a solid looking build. We'll see how it pans out.

But, I 100% enjoy runs more with support, especially those with crazy chaos causing powers. Love the insanity when baddies are flip-flopping all over the place.