[OPEN BETA] Patch Notes for February 24th, 2024

Just wanted to toss out a new player issue while I'm thinking about it.

Blue side, players have access to Atlas Park through Ouroboros.  This is good because a newbie entering Ouroboros needs a safe place to return to.

Red side, the lowest level zone is Cap or Sharkhead, not really newbie friendly if you don't know your way around.  This didn't use to be a problem because Red side couldn't Ouroboros until level 35, but now the the minimum level is 1 I think having an obvious place that new players know is safe would be a good idea.  Adding Mercy to the exits Redside for Ouroboros would help new players out.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

On 2/22/2024 at 8:32 PM, The Curator said:

Fire Mastery (Epic)

• Bonfire: Fixed duration (was not meant to be lowered to 30s)

Thanks! 👍

(Might have to hold off on that respec to Mu Mastery after all!) :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Sovera said:

Always been like that. I bound the command to my W key so when ever I move I reactivate the visscale command.

I don't think it has, I don't remember having to use the command to adjust my visscale to a higher one after every game close...and now I'm not sure if I had to because I can't test it. But it would be a nice quality of life addition if it didn't reset either way.

Edited by Night

2 minutes ago, Night said:

I don't think it has, I don't remember having to use the command to adjust my visscale to a higher one after every game close...and now I'm not sure because I can't test it.

I can personally verify that it has been that way since at least December, when I upgraded my computer (and increased my vis scale because of a more powerful graphics card).

That was when I found the 4th bullet point here;

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Vis_scale_(Slash_Command)

and the long-term solution one paragraph lower.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Mikhael Mouse said:

I can personally verify that it has been that way since at least December, when I upgraded my computer (and increased my vis scale because of a more powerful graphics card).

That was when I found the 4th bullet point here;

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Vis_scale_(Slash_Command)

and the long-term solution one paragraph lower.

The note about it not saving appears to have been added in May of 2023, so it's at least been an issue for over half a year.

Lockely's AE Tales:

H: The Rook's Gambit (Arc ID 49351), P: Best Left Buried (WIP)

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask but could we look at Murky Cloud from Dark Mastery not having a No Fade or Pulse option?

"Minimal FX Everything!"

I love this game. I'm eternally grateful that it was brought back.

"It's not enough that I win, somebody else has to lose" is not the attitude of a Hero.

On 2/22/2024 at 1:32 PM, The Curator said:

Alignment System

• The chances of an existing alignment tip being replaced by a newly dropped tip are now reduced based on character level. As the system is intended to help ensure that characters have tips relevant to their level range and allow for more organic replacement of tips while leveling rather than simply dropping them all at transition points, the chances are reduced based on character level, with the lowest rate at level 50. This does not affect tip drop rates if you have an open slot.

• Tips can no longer be replaced while on a mission map, only when in an open zone.

• The "Tip Found!" floating text is suppressed and not displayed if a tip is being replaced because your tips are full. The chat entry in the Rewards channel still appears.

• Alignment tips and Valentines event tips can no longer be replaced when your tips are full. We may revisit this in the future depending on plans for use of the tip system in upcoming content.

• Exploration (Tour Guide) tips still have this functionality enabled and will auto-dismiss the oldest tip, but this is subject to the limitations of these tips dropping. Particularly that they do not drop if you already have a tour guide tip for the current zone.

I think you're on the right track with the tip replacement, but the process should check the level of the tip it's replacing not the age (or: level, then age). If the tip's a higher level than one you have, it should replace and if they're the same level it shouldn't. That way when people level up, their old tips will get cycled out for more appropriate ones without turning into a constant stream of announcements; and then once they hit 50 the feature's served its purpose and they just keep what drops.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 2:39 PM, Wavicle said:

I saw something unusual yesterday in Defeat All Snakes in Area from Kalinda:

The Arachnos Flyer was visible on the map.

I want to say I've seen it on numerous redside maps, but the wiki notes that: One appears in Mercy Island as a Transport but it cannot be destroyed in that zone.  I think that one's just set dressing.

Edited by Clave Dark 5

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 2/22/2024 at 3:32 PM, The Curator said:
  • Alignment tips and Valentines event tips can no longer be replaced when your tips are full. We may revisit this in the future depending on plans for use of the tip system in upcoming content.

• Exploration (Tour Guide) tips still have this functionality enabled and will auto-dismiss the oldest tip, but this is subject to the limitations of these tips dropping. Particularly that they do not drop if you already have a tour guide tip for the current zone.

Thank you for doing this.

On 2/22/2024 at 3:32 PM, The Curator said:

Modern keyboard profile: changed left mouse button drag to freelook without snapping back to center. Quick look function moved to middle mouse button, swapping the two.

Is this the default or are we going to have to go change this back on every character? Hopefully the former, because the change should be the option, not the default. It's not nice to inconvenience your long time supporters to please the relatively few people who come in expecting a different control scheme, and if they're willing to play an older game, they should be willing to poke around the options to get it to play how they want, rather than having people who are used to a certain control scheme have to change it back on 50 characters.

• Like 1

can we get a fix for council LTs and Bosses that are appearing in striga missions that are too high for mission level and notoriety? specifically, council Archons, appearing as both bosses and LTs.

apparently, level 25 bosses and LTs in level 20+ missions, level 30 bosses in lvl 25+ missions, are regularly appearing in striga missions as documented by myself and others in my bug report.

"I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours" the Cheshire Cat

"Ce n'est rien de mourir; c'est affreux de ne pas vivre"

(It's nothing to die, it's terrible not to live) Jean Valjean

"وطن المرء ليس مكان ولادته و لكنه المكان الذي تنتهي فيه كل محاولاته للهروب”

(Home is not where you were born, home is where all your attempts to escape cease.) Naguib Mahfouz

My character is a 50, but I've only leveled up to 34. Didn't there used to be a warning or advice message on enhancements like Ragnarok letting you know you couldn't use them until you were fully leveled up to 50? Without this, it might confuse new players as to why they can use other 50 enhancements, but not this set. And the level number on the enhancement is blue, instead of red, giving the perception it should be able to be used. 

Ragnarok.jpg

EnhTray.jpg

Edited by SuperBear
clarified info and added 2nd jpg

• City Council

A couple small fixes going on beta today, above notes are being edited to include these.

Missions

• Striga arcs fixed to be playable with mixed alignment teams.

User Interface

• Cleaned up a few items in the option menu that were applying clientside immediately, but not saving to the server unless some other option changed that triggered sync.

Powers

• Fixed a bug in Dark Mastery's Tar Patch that could cause the power to sometimes fail to summon the patch.
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I want to say I've seen it on numerous redside maps, but the wiki notes that: One appears in Mercy Island as a Transport but it cannot be destroyed in that zone.  I think that one's just set dressing.

Yet, it's definitely not attackable. Just weird that it's visible on the map, moving around, while do the mission.

On 2/23/2024 at 1:08 PM, Lunar Ronin said:

Ghost of Scrapyard could be farmed every few minutes, and is/was exponentially more of an issue than Adamastor rewards-wise.

I logged in to Excel this evening to see this message in /lfg:

Need more for redside Sharkhead Isle Giant Monster Ghost of Scrapyard farm! 6 reward merits and 1 [monstrous aether] every 1-2 minutes!! THIS WILL BE PATCHED TUESDAY

So, yeah. This is definitely an issue.

Poor Scrappy. He was getting ALL the love since the patch, and will go back to being forever alone.

In general, it's neat to see giant monsters getting so much attention from players, but when I watched a hunting team vote to go farm Scrapyard, it was pretty disappointing.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, SuperBear said:

My character is a 50, but I've only leveled up to 34.

tumblr_inline_moyb2dnHnb1qz4rgp540.gif.87a16f38c6dbd9cb48fdc77d9d95caa1.gif

I take it you mean you're currently playing a level 34 mission or on a level 34 team with your level 50 character, right?

That said, a note saying "only 50th level-capped characters may slot this" on purples isn't a bad idea.  Run and post it in the Suggestions area of the forums!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Just now, Clave Dark 5 said:

tumblr_inline_moyb2dnHnb1qz4rgp540.gif.87a16f38c6dbd9cb48fdc77d9d95caa1.gif

I take it you mean you're currently playing a level 34 mission or on a level 34 team with your level 50 character, right?

That said, a note saying "only 50th level-capped characters may slot this" on purples isn't a bad idea.  Run and post it in the Suggestions area of the forums!

I took it to mean they have enough XP for 50, but haven’t trained up to 35 yet.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Wavicle said:

As I never farm characters up, I hadn't considered that, but I think you're right.

Go have fun!

8 hours ago, Wavicle said:

This is correct. I thought, prior to this latest update, if you hadn't trained up to 50 yet, any Enhs you had that required 50 (like PVP or Attuned Archetype specific) used to be red and unable to be slotted with a message saying they required X level. What is happening now, while I'm only trained to 34, is when you select an Enh (ie: Ragnarok) all the slots where it should be eligible to go just gray out with no explanation anymore, whereas a 50 IO will be allowed to slot even tho' I'm only trained up to 34.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

As I never farm characters up, I hadn't considered that, but I think you're right.

I hadn't thought to test this prior to release, and just happened to want to farm a toon up. Could be I'm just mis-remembering how it used to work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuperBear said:

I hadn't thought to test this prior to release, and just happened to want to farm a toon up. Could be I'm just mis-remembering how it used to work.

You are.  They always just grayed out with no explanation.

• Cobalt Arachne changed the title to [OPEN BETA] Patch Notes for February 24th, 2024
  • Number Six unpinned this topic