So many old 50s….

Snarky

I have been doing housekeeping on my army of alts.  Trying to figure out who has what, if they are stripped or built, clean everything up.  Also been Alting as I work on best toon (for my undead theme) on new content.  While I love my Dark Dark Blaster there is no doubt a Dark Dark Corr is a better team and league toon. In my opinion.  

So I pulled out a Dark Dark Corr off my page two toons. I respec’d, based on changes Soul Drain to Spirit Drain and my deeper understanding of what I wanted.  It was a 30 level vet. All tier 4 incarnated and a few Tier 4 Destinys.  But only 500 badges. Sigh.  No Accolades.  I ran him rebuilt through an ITF. Then a couple i-trials with Oklahoman.  I liked the feel. 

The next day I am cleaning the house, studying German, and randomly putzing with my clean up my alts project.  Huh….another Dark Dark 50 Corr on page 5 of alts.  WTF? Fully built.  75 vet levels. A little over 1100 badges. So I rebuilt that one, made a power pick change (dropped TP other and picked up Hasten. The build has about +100 rech before Hasten.  Lot of big powers with long cooldowns.  So, now I have the Lich character I had in my head.  (Floating Skull on suit of animated armor).  Sickly yellow and black power colors which are just wonderful!!!  And only  400 badges or so to go lol…

I do not know if I will ever get to all these old 50s.  Maybe I should start organizing them by AT and powersets?  Why why why did I duplicate Dark Dark Corr?   

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

Why why why did I duplicate Dark Dark Corr?   

I've done that before too, got one within a hair of 50 and then realized I'd had a same-builder that I'd dropped then forgotten about by something like 42.  For those two, it had been the character theme that didn't click until it did later.

I'm also in the same boat with "old 50s," I think I have five pages of them by now.  I should take the time for the busywork of stripping then dumping them.  I have an AR blaster from pre-update to AR and that was fine to play, but I never go back, so there's no point in rejiggering them based upon the updates - or, more likely, I'll just never find the drive to do so anyway.

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

I do not know if I will ever get to all these old 50s.  Maybe I should start organizing them by AT and powersets?  Why why why did I duplicate Dark Dark Corr? 

Time for a spreadsheet to keep track of things...  Also, you love the Dark Dark Corr, that's why.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Game Master

I have around 50 fully incarnated tier 4 alts. I organise them by AT and have far too many blasters. I also have around 15 or so at various levels including 7 or 8 I'm working on getting the vet levels.

• Like 1

There was a time before the last two sets of AE nerfs/adjustments where I got into building alts purely based on ideas/themes.  My goal was to create a “library” of ready-to-build pre-leveled alts via powerfarming.  I had a project list and every day or so I’d login my second/third accounts and go to work power-farming (mostly AFK back then) a couple of alts per play session.  I’d give them really generic names/costumes with the goal of actually playing them as rainy day toons sometime later.  I seldom powerfarmed them past 38, usually closer to 35 so that they had their nukes or whatever and some slots to go around.

At any rate, somewhere along the line I started duping powersets.  I ended up with multiples of almost all the top-tier powersets.  So, having more influence than I knew what to do with, I’d just build them out with entirely different slotting strategies and/or power picks/pool picks.  Yes, you can do this with multiple builds per alt, but using them that way is annoying as it pops all your powers off and then you have to wait for everything to recharge.  That’s super annoying when you realize your second build would have been better in the middle of a mission.  

So many different ways to make/play powersets in this game, I never worried about having multiples of same types.  I like what I like.  

• Like 2

My alts are organized like a car collection.  Up front there's the cars I love and drive regularly.  There's literally no expense spared on these.  They have all the best costumes and names.  Highly tuned builds.  Any adjustment needed as a result of powers changes get made as my first priority after release.

Next there's the retired section.  These are may classics.  They're cars that used to be up front, loved, used daily, but now are just kept in a place of honor, but not driven.  Their builds are never updated, but also never stripped for parts.  And their names and costumes are never reused.

And then lastly there's the junkyard.  Out back... tons of cars that I'll strip for parts, or costumes... most with bastardized names so I could reuse a name and concept that I liked.  I'll sometimes sift through the mess and pull something out to clean it up and turn it into something worth of the front few pages.  But basically they're just sitting there collecting rust.

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

^^^  I like the junkyard concept.  I’ve many, many toons that I got to 50 and realized, even with great builds, just weren’t my thing to play longer to accumulate their T4 incarnates.  So they just literally sit there unplayed, some for years other than the mandatory log-in-once-per-year to keep the name.  I really should melt them down for all those IO’s and recycle.  I just despise how long a respec takes per character to get all them back out.  Guess I could just dump a whole bunch of unslotters into each one instead.  Actually, now that I think about it, likely better that way as I can keep their builds and just truly gut them of all the IO’s I care to grab.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Snarky said:

I don't know about you, but I've done that before knowingly because I hate respeccing level 50s so much that I have started a new character from scratch.  Not one as invested as either of yours though.  In fact, I'm in the middle of a new Night Widow to play the changes to the set.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Snarky said:

I do something similar.  Page one is the set of characters I am specifically working on improving right now.  I move folks onto and off of page one as needed.  After that it's pages divided by AT, subdivided by level, alphabetically.  So a couple pages in I have two pages of Corruptors, level 50s at the top, going down, for example, though there may be a skipped slot where I've temporarily moved one to the first page for ease of access on a "current project" character.

• Like 1

Horizon Twilight, The Chernobyl Effect, XLR Mk8, Dodgeball, and a host of other alts all hanging out on Everlasting.

This is how I imagine @Snarky going through his list of alts:

image.png.23ce3b794082b5760f9f84560752d056.png

"Hmm.. there's the Dark/Dark Corruptor... oh, and the Dark/Dark/DARK! Blaster.  Yesss... Goood.   And the Dark/Dark Brute.  The Dark/Dark Tank of course.  The Dark/Dark Stalker.. meh.  But what's THIS??! Another Dark/Dark Corruptor?  How could that possibly have happened?!  RENFIELD!!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I've taken to making pages for each specific AT, since it was hard to keep track of anything. Outside my 'main' I had a long term plan to fully 'finish' one of every AT, but new power sets and concepts came up, so it's now 4-7 of every AT, most of them finished. (Sets, incarnates, all that) It's hard to remember them all, much less use them. So I found a 'spin the wheel' app that can be customized, put in all my 50's. Now if I don't have a plan for my main or a concept to level up, I spin the wheel to see which 50 gets its time back on the road!

• Like 2

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about the average age of most Homecoming players.  And then I thought, well, that's actually probably a bit low...

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Zhym said:

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about the average age of most Homecoming players.  And then I thought, well, that's actually probably a bit low...

Well Snarky is actually something like immortal other than sharpened wooden stakes so, you aren't wrong.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just delete the characters I don't like or don't play anymore. *shrugs* I've deleted a level 33 just recently.

And also, I'm clearly a filthy casual. I have five level 50s in total.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, FFFF said:

I just delete the characters I don't like or don't play anymore. *shrugs* I've deleted a level 33 just recently.

5 50s is considered casual these days? Lol I guess if your always using exp boosters all the time.

Edited by StarseedWarrior
  • Moose 1

2 minutes ago, StarseedWarrior said:

5 50s is considered casual these days? Lol I guess if your always using exp boosters all the time.

No boosters, no PL either. I find the leveling process in Homecoming really fast, even with me running 95% solo, and mostly doing missions. It probably has to do with early access to SOs, inherent fitness and the converter economy which eliminates early level scarcity. I can get to level 20 or so within 4-5 hours of play. 50 takes me about a month playing part-time. I just don't die as much and athletic run + jump jet pretty much cuts down travel time a lot.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, FFFF said:

No boosters, no PL either. I find the leveling process in Homecoming really fast, even with me running 95% solo, and mostly doing missions. It probably has to do with early access to SOs, inherent fitness and the converter economy which eliminates early level scarcity. I can get to level 20 or so within 4-5 hours of play. 50 takes me about a month playing part-time. I just don't die as much and athletic run + jump jet pretty much cuts down travel time a lot.

Ahhhh yea influence will get you to 50 fast thats true. I just take my time then again this is the only game I feel is worth playing, I do not even play xpass games anymore and just pay for that only for my son. Other mmos can kiss it, done with the greed.

Edited by StarseedWarrior
  • Thumbs Up 2

I was over 200 characters at one point and then decided to strip down to under 100.  Currently at 98.  If I think of a new char, I tend to delete one of the others.

When the HC announcement got everyone to join up, I did start a few alts on the other servers (though I also transferred some)

Out of the 98, five are not 50.

Of the 50s, 28 are tier 4, fully outfitted with sets.   About 44 are in various states of complete.  Fine for taking out and running with PUGs, but not many set bonuses.  Of the rest, some are stripped, but there are a dozen that are in good shape, but I need to redo because of some patch changes.

Finally took my Widow out of mothballs this weekend and now is running around fully kltted out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FFFF said:

Nah, could be a sign of resistance to alt-itis.  I've still only the one 50 - with nearly 5000 hours on her. (Alts don't really hold my interest much, for some reason.  I'll swap if the team needs something else, but that's rare these days.)

• Like 1

So this isn't a commentary about us GenX players. Got it!

• Thumbs Up 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

17 hours ago, Snarky said:

Snarky, my good fellow it's called organization. 

My first page is for toons I am working on.  The second page is left intentionally blank. 

The third page is for special archtypes - my WS, PB, Crab and Widow. 

The fourth page is left intentionally blank. 

The fifth page are blasters ordered by level. If I have more then 10 I add another page. All blasters are located on my google sheets with origin, level, , description, Power Set (spots for primary and secondary), power pools, mastery, and what server they are on, and then finally a link to their Mids. 

Lets say the eighth page is left blank intentionally, so that I can add brutes ordered by level on the ninth page. The google sheet is updated. 

continue this for all the archetypes of the game and keep your google sheet updated. 

Here is an example:

Blaster                        
1    50    Psychic Blast    Mental Manipulation    Third Eye Blind        
2    50    Assault Rifle    Devices    Compu-Shot        
3    50    Ice Blast    Ice manipulation    Snow-Flake        
4    39    Energy Blaster    Martial Combat    Martial-Artist        
5    35    Water Blast    Plant    Chloro-Tide        
6    30    Siesmic blast    Earth Manipulation    Green-Earth        
7    26    Archery    Tactical Arrow    Heart-Strings        
8    25    Dual Pistols    Ninja    Double-Tapp        
9    23    Radiation Blast    Atomic     Geo-Fusion        

that way you never make a toon that is the same. 

20 minutes ago, Cyrickain13 said:

Snarky, my good fellow it's called organization. 

My first page is for toons I am working on.  The second page is left intentionally blank. 

The third page is for special archtypes - my WS, PB, Crab and Widow. 

The fourth page is left intentionally blank. 

The fifth page are blasters ordered by level. If I have more then 10 I add another page. All blasters are located on my google sheets with origin, level, , description, Power Set (spots for primary and secondary), power pools, mastery, and what server they are on, and then finally a link to their Mids. 

Lets say the eighth page is left blank intentionally, so that I can add brutes ordered by level on the ninth page. The google sheet is updated. 

continue this for all the archetypes of the game and keep your google sheet updated. 

Here is an example:

Blaster                        
1    50    Psychic Blast    Mental Manipulation    Third Eye Blind        
2    50    Assault Rifle    Devices    Compu-Shot        
3    50    Ice Blast    Ice manipulation    Snow-Flake        
4    39    Energy Blaster    Martial Combat    Martial-Artist        
5    35    Water Blast    Plant    Chloro-Tide        
6    30    Siesmic blast    Earth Manipulation    Green-Earth        
7    26    Archery    Tactical Arrow    Heart-Strings        
8    25    Dual Pistols    Ninja    Double-Tapp        
9    23    Radiation Blast    Atomic     Geo-Fusion        

that way you never make a toon that is the same. 

i have great organizational skills.  it is all right here.  uh, except for the stuff in the next three rooms...

image.png.693c7dd46023980bb9bc37471b3f80cf.png

• Like 2

I used to do like itf or apex/tin on every 50 I had. And when it came to a toon and I was like “fuck not this guy” I would strip it and delete it. Doesn’t matter how many vet levels or how fully incarnated out. Just deleted after stripped of IOs. I’m back up to 36 or so fully IO’d, fully incarnated toons. Still think it’s too many but I like playing them. Or they are the only 50 I have of the AT. Those chill on last page with my antimatter holder. 

• Like 1