Weird Noob thing you did in CoH/V

So i joined CoH/V when I bought a Good vs Evil boxed set from the local comp / game store.  The game had been out 2? years.  

I ended up making a lot of huge Brutes that I ran forever.  

In an effort to learn about teaming (red, always dead) I went Blue for a minute and made a Tank. 

But, and this is the fun part....  I did not know how to change the camera angle.  At all.  So if I made a giant character.... I was staring at the back of my own head.  So i made them as short as possible for a few weeks until I figured it out.  Mini Me!

• Haha 6

I clicked Rest and didn't know how to get out of it, so I was stuck on one knee.  I could swear I tried unclicking it, but...

• Haha 3

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

As a level 2 blaster, I accidentally zoned into Steel Canyon and was insta-killed by nearby Outcasts. Ending up in the Steel Canyon hospital, i wasn’t good enough to run back to the tram or the tunnel back to Atlas before being killed again and sent back. I just ended up deleting the character and recreating it so I could be in Atlas. If that wasn’t bad enough, I accidentally wandered into Independence Port at level 9 on the recreated character and essentially fell into the same loop. Fortunately, I managed to make it to Skyway just to be instantly put down by a Troll boss. The trek from the Skyway hospital to the tram wasn’t nearly that bad. 

Edited by FFFF
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

I took a break from City of Heroes/City of Villains to go play Tabula Rasa in late 2007.  I came back to CoH in late 2008 when NC decided to pull the plug on Tabula Rasa.  I switched to a different server, and played red side entirely by myself, having fun soloing missions on Masterminds, Brutes, Corruptors, and Stalkers.  The ITF came out around the same time, but I just ignored it as I'm not interested in the ancient past and Greece and Rome.  (Sorry, it's a personal flaw, I know.  I look towards the future.)  After a few months of soloing red side, I made some friends.

One of them introduced me to (I didn't know this at the time), probably the top speed runner on the server and one of the top speed runners in the game period.  He asked me if I wanted to join them on an ITF.  Having never done an ITF before, and I mostly played Masterminds, I joined on my main Mastermind at the time.  He graciously didn't say anything (although I imagine others on the team were rolling their eyes), and we started.  I didn't know it was a speed run, and at the time I didn't really know what speed running was.  Well, needless to say... after the ITF was over, I had no idea what had happened and what I just saw. :classic_laugh:  But that speed runner and the others took pity on me and taught me their ways.  I went on to speed run quite a bit (although to this day I prefer steamrolling/kill most), along with leading large events on the server.

I'm still friends with him and the others today, although he left Homecoming a few years ago as he accomplished quite literally everything there was to accomplish in the game at the time, and then some.  He gave me his supergroup base, and everything in it when he left.  I felt like Joseph Gordon-Levitt inheriting the Batcave at the end of The Dark Knight Rises.  So not all "n00b" mistakes are bad.  They're just learning experiences, and opportunities.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

I bought the CoV expansion and thought "Hey, Masterminds are so cool." Then I proceeded to make a Ninja/Traps MM. I think I suffered him to 20 before I rerolled as Bots/FF.

• Banjo 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

I had 5 slots in Brawl as a War Mace tank. My feeling was the left hand needed to fight as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Scarlet Shocker had a snipe.

It took me literally ages to understand that sniping attracted the alpha strike. I was regularly teaming with a pair of tanks in the Hollows so I'd often open up the combat by sniping the boss then the tanks would go in. They'd be fine, I'd faceplant and have to run back from Atlas Park hospital to rejoin the fray.

Rinse, repeat... I'd got all the debt badges before level 20

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

17 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Scarlet Shocker had a snipe.

It took me literally ages to understand that sniping attracted the alpha strike. I was regularly teaming with a pair of tanks in the Hollows so I'd often open up the combat by sniping the boss then the tanks would go in. They'd be fine, I'd faceplant and have to run back from Atlas Park hospital to rejoin the fray.

Rinse, repeat... I'd got all the debt badges before level 20

looks at the two tanks...

image.png.880eae7e929d5355a465ebf4a54f2ca0.png

• Haha 4
  • Microphone 1

16 hours ago, Lunar Ronin said:

I took a break from City of Heroes/City of Villains to go play Tabula Rasa in late 2007.  I came back to CoH in late 2008 when NC decided to pull the plug on Tabula Rasa.  I switched to a different server, and played red side entirely by myself, having fun soloing missions on Masterminds, Brutes, Corruptors, and Stalkers.  The ITF came out around the same time, but I just ignored it as I'm not interested in the ancient past and Greece and Rome.  (Sorry, it's a personal flaw, I know.  I look towards the future.)  After a few months of soloing red side, I made some friends.

One of them introduced me to (I didn't know this at the time), probably the top speed runner on the server and one of the top speed runners in the game period.  He asked me if I wanted to join them on an ITF.  Having never done an ITF before, and I mostly played Masterminds, I joined on my main Mastermind at the time.  He graciously didn't say anything (although I imagine others on the team were rolling their eyes), and we started.  I didn't know it was a speed run, and at the time I didn't really know what speed running was.  Well, needless to say... after the ITF was over, I had no idea what had happened and what I just saw. :classic_laugh:  But that speed runner and the others took pity on me and taught me their ways.  I went on to speed run quite a bit (although to this day I prefer steamrolling/kill most), along with leading large events on the server.

I'm still friends with him and the others today, although he left Homecoming a few years ago as he accomplished quite literally everything there was to accomplish in the game at the time, and then some.  He gave me his supergroup base, and everything in it when he left.  I felt like Joseph Gordon-Levitt inheriting the Batcave at the end of The Dark Knight Rises.  So not all "n00b" mistakes are bad.  They're just learning experiences, and opportunities.

I had a similar experience on Liberty server back on Live.  I mostly ignored redside when it launched because I wanted to play a superHERO game, not play a superVILLAIN.  But later I wanted to try a few CoV ATs & experience the new content, so I began to solo redside.  The "redside is deadside" rule was in full effect by this point, as the huge influx to the Rogue Isles when it was the new shiny was far over, & I was usually the only player in the mid-tier redside zones as I soloed away.  One day I got a tell asking if I wanted to run a Strike Force & was happy to say yes, since I was a completionist, & nobody ever seemed to be running SFs.  Little did I know that I had hooked up with the best speed runners on the server, & I was rapidly left in the dust as they blew through mission objectives in a blink of an eye.  While speedrunning is not my nature, I was impressed at just how indepth these players knowledge of the game was & how impressive their builds were.  They clearly didn't need me there at all, but they seemed happy to encourage another redsider to stay the course.  So as I leveled them up, my redside alts got to complete all of the redside SFs with these players.  And when the Incarnate system came out, my 50s (red & blue) spent a LOT of time in Incarnate Trials led by these guys.   I learned a lot about the game from playing with them, & eventually I may have even contributed a little to our mutual success.  I'm not someone who likes to be carried, but I am willing to admit when I have met my betters - & yeah, they were WAY better than I was. 😉

Edited by Mister Mass
  • Like 3

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

On my first day I was exploring Galaxy City with my little level 2 fresh-out-of-Outbreak experimental character, doing a decent job of avoiding Hellions and Clockwork, and happened to discover Gemini Park. I was like "oh, that looks cool!" and ran in to explore, somehow completely failing to notice the small crowd of zombies milling about. Pretty sure I was in the midst of trying to escape when one exploded and sent me to the hospital.

My situational awareness is, theoretically, much better these days, even if my manual reflexes are definitely not.

• Haha 2

On 3/5/2024 at 12:25 AM, Lunar Ronin said:

I took a break from City of Heroes/City of Villains to go play Tabula Rasa in late 2007.  I came back to CoH in late 2008 when NC decided to pull the plug on Tabula Rasa.

Ah...so you were the other one.  😉😂  J/k, I was pretty invested in that game despire the office politics that brought it down, and despite the aptly named The Mires zone.  I actually wrote most of the wiki on the Palisades zone.  I miss everything that was good about that game.

I think I've mentioned all the weird stuff before.  Well, there was this... I joined right before the first Winter Lord event, I think it was.  And lacking even hover, I went hunting WL's on the rooftops of Kings Row by running up the fire escapes, verifying the roof, then running back down the fire escape.  Next building.  Run up, verify, run back down.  Rinse, repeat.  If I spotted one a few separated roofs away, it was a mad dash back down the fire escape, booking to the correct building and running up the fire escape in hopes of getting it before a flyer spotted it.  Really got digital leg exercises in on that event.  It didn't really occur to me to switch to street level searches.

Edited by Techwright
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Snarky said:

I did not know how to change the camera angle

The original image from which my forum avatar is derived is my namesake character with rest activated, back from i0/beta, where I, too, did not know how to rotate the camera, but activating rest locked your character's facing, so I could rotate around them that way...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

I added slots to Sprint in my early days and proceeded to put Jump enhancements in it.

Yup. Same here. 3 slots in sprint. Boy was I marginally fast!

• Haha 3

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Accidentally CTRL-clicked an attack power and didn't realize the green ring and when I selected a target it would fire and I was like WHT.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

The friend who introduced me to CoH walked me through character creation and the tutorial, and we levelled and got our first mission. It was clear on the other side of Atlas, and on the way:

"What are you doing?"

"Fighting these guys. They're trying to steal that lady's purse! That's not right!"

"..."

My very patient friend let me fight every bad guy on the way to the mish. When we came out afterwards, I was disappointed to see all the same NPCs being menaced in all the same ways. I was crestfallen until my friend explained spawns to me.

Still feels like a never-ending battle.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

I was shamefully slow to realize that the missions maps used in the tram missions were actually sections of regular game zone maps.  And when I did begin to notice the similarities, I felt like the zone maps must be copies of the tram mission maps, probably because I had spent far more time on a tram mission map than in that section of a regular zone map. 🙃

• Like 1

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

11 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

Still feels like a never-ending battle.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

8 hours ago, Mister Mass said:

I was shamefully slow to realize that the missions maps used in the tram missions were actually sections of regular game zone maps.  And when I did begin to notice the similarities, I felt like the zone maps must be copies of the tram mission maps, probably because I had spent far more time on a tram mission map than in that section of a regular zone map. 🙃

The first time I did a TINPEX, we get to the (destroyed) police station, and I keep thinking to myself - "That giant coin/medallion looks really familiar...".

Edited by biostem
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Great stories y'all, but I win. Enjoy...

Growing up in the 80's, and having spent thousands of hours playing games like the Bard's Tale Trilogy, the mechanic of having a mage cast a healing spell OR visiting the local temple to heal your party was engraved in my brain. 

With that context, I started playing CoH around Issue 2. My first time playing, I'm exploring Atlas Park solo and ultimately find myself battling with a Hellion Lieutenant. I eventually managed to arrest him, but I came out worse for wear with my health bar in the red. Not knowing that my health would slowly regenerate, or that there was a rest power, I sprinted to the hospital frantically trying to figure out who in there could patch me up and restore my health. 

I spent way too long trying to figure it out before finally asking for help in the chat. Imagine my embarrassment when another hero kindly smartened me up 😬

You're welcome.

Edited by Certified Comic Shop
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Staff of Aesculapius 1

Please don't judge me, I was new...

So back in the day, before you could hit 50 just dinking around in an afternoon, and there weren't 89 ways to beef up low level toons, my highest level character was around level 20. And I got there by suffering in the Hollows for days, if not weeks, having team wipe after team wipe. Watching allies get ganked on the way to a mission. Having half the team quit because they were absolutely NOT going to run from the Atlas hospital back to the Hollows just to have to dodge imminent doom again.

This was in the days of Taxibots, and when a "healer" (pardon my profanity) joined a team, they were like a god. A being of legend. Some one who could cast resurrect?! Bring people back from the dead with out needing to exit the mission?! The myths were true! So I thought Heck, I can do that. I rolled an Empathy defender.

And to be fair, I was AMAZING at it. I was stopping team wipes. I was keeping the tanker, who only had one armor power and no business tanking on an 8-man team at level 12, on his feet. On the occasional rough mob, I was letting the lost causes face plant, and then coming in with either the right inspiration for them to make an Awaken or just reviving them. I made sure people DID NOT click "Go To Hospital," as being a single person down was basically a guaranteed team wipe, so we'd have to wait for them to hoof it back to the mission. I took Recall Friend so that I could safely get some of the more fragile team members to the mission. I could see when we were definitely going to lose a battle, and I would go to safe area and regroup us. I even got good at teleporting people out of the fray so I could patch them up before letting them run back in to take more abuse (stay on your feet, scrappers, your face is my only line of defense!).

And then (TRIGGER WARNING)...Some where before level 30 I decided YA KNOW, three heals is not good enough. I took Aid Other. Yes, on my empathy defender (sorry for every one that gave flashbacks to).

(To be fair the experience taught me a lot about how the game works besides See bad guy -> Attack -> Die -> Ragequit and honestly made me better at the game)

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On my first alt (<- that one), I think I leveled four times before I realized I was, you know, supposed to do something about it.

Quite a feat, really... I've tried since to reach level 5 without so much as adding Rest, and it's bee-ootch.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

I picked a power on my blaster because it did "lethal" damage. I figured lethal must be the best damage type, and was very confused when it wasn't one-shotting everything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Moose 1