what powers to choose?

Dark Melee coupled with the defensive set of your choice does a lot of work. Willpower, Invulnerability, Super Reflexes, even Ice Armor all work for your undead types. Fire sets recoloured a ghostly green/blue can work too.

Then you've got Mind Control, Dark Miasma, Necromancy and so on.

Hell, something with Super Strength and Super Reflexes plus a nicely chosen costume would be perfectly suitable.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Carbie48 said:

wanted to create a vampire type character, but kinda lost as to what power sets to choose. any ideas? 

I'm a character conception player, so I would first go with what is your conception of a "vampire"?

Give us some details of the kind of vampire you are going for.

There are various interpretations of vampires.

Some vampires seem to have psionic or illusion powers.

Some are really strong and fast.

Some have that twinkling glow that dominators get when they are powered up.

What are the characteristics of the kind of vampire that you want to create?

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

5 hours ago, Carbie48 said:

wanted to create a vampire type character, but kinda lost as to what power sets to choose. any ideas? 

thanks

Well...  It truly depends on the type of vampire does it not?  

I have ran nearly every dark dark dark X combo on nearly every AT.  I can say this, Dark is very good in CoH.  Great toolkit set.  

I dusted off a Invul Dark Tank last night.  If you want the unstoppable master vampire, unfazed by the world trying to kill it, this would be it.

A Dark/Dark Brute.... (Dark/Dark on melee reaches it's zenith on a Brute in my opinion) This ball of hate (with non suppressing stealth) is just a hoot.  Although complicated, subtle, and expensive.  So, challenging to build and run.

A Dark/Dark Stalker.  Very good.  M only issue was ... Dark Dark Blaster was just faster

Dark Dark Blaster  Very powerful.  A vampire that can pull the negative material plane onto earth and destroy enemies with it.

Dark Dark Corruptor.  On a team a significant step above Blaster in terms of power.  And Corruptor, right in the name.

Control types ar harder for me.  I have both Dom and Controller.  A Dark Dark Troller would, for my money, be both easier and more powerful.  Only annoying thing is you are basically a petless MM and your team is your pets.  You gather a bunch of supers to achieve your goal, or leech off them.  Then use some of the biggest powers in Dark to ensure they achieve YOUR goal. If you can stand doing little to no damage and just want to completely ruin the enemies chances of doing anything a Controller is the choice.

• Like 4
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

I'd like to throw in Bio Armor as a contender. When colored red, it works really well visually for blood manipulation, either with or without the carapace visuals. It works great for a more biological type of vampire than a mystical one, though my Bio Armor vampire has a magical origin and it still fits well. And mechanically it has a few "absorb from your enemies" type powers that fit the theme very well.

On a melee archetype it would pair well thematically with Savage, Dark, or any weapon set you could imagine your vampire using. I haven't tried it on a Sentinel yet so I don't know if the theme holds up as well, but Dark and Water would be obvious choices. For all archetypes, it's a slightly less intuitive choice, but Psychic powers are something vampires are known to use and might make a good thematic pairing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Well...  It truly depends on the type of vampire does it not? 

Well, it's up to you, O Master, to create the correct type-inclusive acronym for the species. Until then, us ignerant types will have to assume SSD (silver screen Dracula) and that's just anti-DIE.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Vampires are easy.  Just go with a... *checks notes*... ah yes, Savage Melee Dark SS Mind Psy Necromancy Invuln Dark Armor Dark Miasma Dark Affinity TankerBruteStalkerControllerDomMM.

Oh yeah.. with Sorcery pool... duh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

Well, it's up to you, O Master, to create the correct type-inclusive acronym for the species. Until then, us ignerant types will have to assume SSD (silver screen Dracula) and that's just anti-DIE.

My current iteration of Snarky is an AR/Dev Blaster.  Say you are a run of the mill vampire in any genre.  Not THE MASTER....just Joe Vampire.  Sure, you are tougher than mortals.  And usually have little power.  So, grab some locally made weaponry and start doing some crimes....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Snarky said:

My current iteration of Snarky is an AR/Dev Blaster.  Say you are a run of the mill vampire in any genre.  Not THE MASTER....just Joe Vampire.  Sure, you are tougher than mortals.  And usually have little power.  So, grab some locally made weaponry and start doing some crimes....

Tiny holes in the neck and professional vampire hunters show up. Shotgun blast to the chest and regular cops show up. They are not going to notice a little blood missing.

Excerpt from The Smart Vampire's Handbook.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Snarky said:

The VTM video games were good for this sort of thing.  You had all sorts of vampire powers and claws and stuff... but also automatic weapons, grenade launchers, swords, baseball bats... really anything.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1