How many new 50s are too many?

I confess to taking advantage of the Mapserver event.

I now stare at more than a full page of newly minted 50s. (Some were dusty 20 somethings others brand new characters)

Is this too much?

Is this the race to 50 and play down with incarnates? What's different from farming?

I love the creativity of the event. As soon as players learned to drone the GM though...

Thank the devs who worked on it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Microphone 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I've barely done anything in the mapserver event. *shrug* Little bit of a boost on one or two, but... for me, they need to be *characters.* So I tend to want to play them and have it feed back into their "personality."

Can't say I've ever particularly been in a great rush to 50. Ton of alts, granted...

• Like 2
  • Microphone 1

Kheldian backstory guide 2.0 is out.

The world may never know

• Haha 2
  • Microphone 2

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

I got a new Energy/Temp Blaster with all incarnate slots open in about 4-5 hours.  Realized I would probably never play it.  It has SOs, so it is safe from unpacking and storage.  But....Unless someone has a "We do Knockback" event forming....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Microphone 1

3 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I got a new Energy/Temp Blaster with all incarnate slots open in about 4-5 hours.  Realized I would probably never play it.  It has SOs, so it is safe from unpacking and storage.  But....Unless someone has a "We do Knockback" event forming....

Make it a Blapper with 5 sets of Sudden Acceleration (for the recharge) and do Energy Blasts and Time Melee in the enemy's face!

• Haha 2
  • Microphone 1

For each archetype, multiply the number of primaries by secondaries, minus incompatible powersets (like Shield + Titan Weapons). Add it all together. Multiply by 3 to account for a multiboxing setup. +1 over this result should be "too many".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Microphone 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Have at least one 50 of every AT, except mastermind, i thought this is the time.  Then I thought of all those MM farming Adamastor for reward merits and thought I wouldn't be any better than them.  So I didn't make a MM, need this event to end before I change my mind.

• Microphone 1

4 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

aw, i didn‘t see the mapserver event advertised anywhere - sounded fun

Sounds... present tense, as it is still ongoing.

Get in the game.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Microphone 1

I have 28 toons in total, all 50s. I have made exactly zero this year, three last year, and three the year before that. Math says the three previous years I made 7 per year. 

Except for one I haven't worked on all my 50s are at least Tier 3 Incarnate and 14 of them are fully Incarnate. 

That said I have too many toons as I only play about five. 

• Like 2
  • Microphone 1

16 hours ago, Player2 said:

When you have all of the 50s, then it's too many.

I is approaching has-ing all the 50s..

Which increases the likelihood of sad moments when realizing approximately 38 levels in that, crap.. already have a level 43 Gravity/Energy Dominator on page 7.

o/

• Microphone 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Without giving a lengthy history of playing habits, I took advantage of the MS event a couple of times - generally in the 30's when I grew impatient for those 3 slots. So many things needed slots! A character I hadn't played in 3.5 years, I was just loading in because I wanted to keep the name, and it already had all the day jobs, and I was going to make a tank next, so why not this one. All those days job powers made for some nice buffs, too. I really didn't remember MS giving tons of xp from last time, because I am pretty sure I was on a 50 for it. 

I had 2xp running, and in 3 minutes, I went from level 9 to 16. I was a bit irritated, because it never occurred to me to delete the 2xp buff. I didn't remember any 10x XP, I just knew my farmer couldn't PL my alts this fast. That XP bar was feeling faster than heal other from an emp at one point!

So, I quit and spent some time playing. 
Then I got smart and used it to unlock my incarnate slots in lieu of the Alpha unlock arc. 
Then I got smarter and used it to get more vet levels for more emp merits on alts that already had t-4 in everything. 

Having more emp merits means more choices. Some days, I don't mind going to DA and running through those arcs. Some days, I don't mind doing an iTrial or three. They're fairly fast, except for UGT, (my personal favorite)
But, some days, I don't want to do either. Having the emps stashed means I can make t-4's of something on the fly, if I need to, such as the advanced lgtf. 

It's also a fine time to grab those leadership badges and healing badges. And damage taken badges, etc. 

While I do enjoy the ingenuity of the poultry pick-up and the green costume change, and can appreciate the creativity of the appearances and names of the npcs, my melee characters do not enjoy these events because of targeting issues. Targeting through a pet, and then hitting f...and by the time I get there, that target is dead. It was strange to me that I could keep the GM targeted, and attack it easily without using a pet. But the others, they'd appear, fade, then appear again. Ranged characters, no problem. But for melee, it just wasn't that much fun. 

I do intend to take advantage of gaining more vet levels, to a degree, but I also have another couple of characters I need to try. But I've already written about 4 more paragraphs than people like to read. Can't help it. I tend to over-explain. 

• Like 1
  • Microphone 1

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

Without giving a lengthy history of playing habits

1 hour ago, Ukase said:

But I've already written about 4 more paragraphs than people like to read. Can't help it

lol

• Haha 1
  • Microphone 1

3 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

The number of possible permutations of each AT + 1

By my current math: 2368 then.  So, three alt accounts can do it for a bit longer even with a few more powersets added.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Microphone 1

3 servers worth 🙂

• Microphone 1

15 minutes ago, lemming said:

By my current math: 2368 then.  So, three alt accounts can do it for a bit longer even with a few more powersets added.

I had calculated it once on live but that's clearly very out of date. But yes, it's quite a large number. If I guestimate that it takes a player 50 hours to get to 50 on average (without AE & DXP silliness) that's well over 13 years playing continuously.

In other words, most people will never play every  power set combo in every AT in a few lifetimes.

Conclusion: The number of 50s that is too many is the number that you decided you have enough of, plus one!

• Microphone 1

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

crafters be craftin like cra cra now

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Microphone 1